The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shadow of Revan Announcement Trailer -- Step By Step Analysis

Darth_Wicked

So the reveal is finally here, together with a proper and juicy

to boot.

After seeing it over and over again, here's a recollection of its main selling points. Hope you enjoy it. :D

- - - -

• In the first few seconds,
we see a Defender-class Light Corvette heading to Yavin 4, one of the many moons that orbit the gas giant Yavin.

• Afterwards,
a Harrower-class Dreadnought enters the scene: Perhaps the one
Also an ode of sorts to "A New Hope"? Clearly visible are the Massassi Temples of old, rising above the jungle world.

Revanite troops enter the fray, in what appears to be some kind of bunker or military installation in the background. Note the Imperial ship on the right side,

• Some sort of tower,
presumably darkening the sky and generating crackling tangles of lightning. Some of the NPC's on the scene appear to be using Jedi garb. Once again, the planet Yavin is visible on the background, to the left.

In addition, there's also something on top of the tower, which appears to be reminiscent of the Dread Masters' tower on Oricon. Through a hole in it, one can get a glimpse of a spherical device -- an energy core of some kind? -- with two obelisks, one of each side, protruding from the inner walls.

• From left to right:
Darth Marr, Lana Beniko, Jakarro, Theron Shan and his mother, Satele Shan. Notice how the characters lean closer to their factions' flag, implying there's no way to mistake what they stand for; Jakarro stands in the middle, seeing he's neutral.

In the following picture, you can -- presumably -- see the same Harrower-class Dreadnought as before, plus two Gage-class Transporters. Master Satele is also using a double-bladed lightsaber hilt identical to the one from the
and "Hope" trailers.

Republic and Imperial ships fly onto battle, presumably heading to the Temple(s). The two soldiers on the watchtower are probably a reference to "All Along The Watchtower" by Bob Dylan.

Republic and Imperial soldiers seem to be attacking the grounds of one of the Temples.

First in-game glimpse of a Massassi Warrior, though this specimen is far bigger than
Did Revan perform experiments on Massassi Warriors, similar to what Naga Sadow did?

Republic strike-team marches into battle; You can clearly see one of the characters using an Assault Cannon. Early glimpse into one of the upcoming flashpoints?

A Jedi Guardian and a Revanite soldier face one another. The Guardian seems to be using a variation of this armor set, plus the Temple Guardian mask. In the background, there are ruins on fire.

A walker drops into battle near a Revanite compound, presumably near Temple grounds. In the screen, there's what appears to be a Massassi Warrior statue.

A Revanite soldier using the Eradicator mask, shortly before being struck down by a Jedi Guardian.

Lana Beniko shoots lightning at Revanite soldiers, either incapacitating or killing them. The room where she's in has a striking resemblance to the room from the latest teaser, featuring Revan in front of some kind of object. Here, you can see the Massassi Warrior spears that adorned its halls.

• The camera slowly but surely
zooms into Revan, the latter standing defiant, armor all-battered and a red light emanating from his visor; Its intensity appears to have diminished in comparison to the teaser.

- - - -

On another note, I think the trailer is narrated by Tony Armatrading, same VA who voices Xalek but I'm not 100% sure.

In case you're interested in seeing it again,

;)

OTHER LINKS:

Shadow of Revan ( Official Page )

Shadow of Revan ( Press Release )

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Republic strike-team marches into battle; You can clearly see one of the characters using an Assault Cannon. Early glimpse into one of the upcoming flashpoints?

What makes you say it's a Republic strike team? I mean there's undoubtedly a Commando present, and more than likely a Guardian, but from the other two, one looks like a Chiss Bounty Hunter and the other could (but probably not) be an Operative rather than a Vanguard.

Just me holding out for cross-faction grouping in the new content.

What makes you say it's a Republic strike team? I mean there's undoubtedly a Commando present, and more than likely a Guardian, but from the other two, one looks like a Chiss Bounty Hunter and the other could (but probably not) be an Operative rather than a Vanguard.

Just me holding out for cross-faction grouping in the new content.

To be honest, I hadn't consider it judging from the picture but now that you mention it, I guess that's a possibility.

After seeing the trailer, many people -- me included -- got the feeling both factions will get to experience the EXACT same storyline, a la Oricon.

Still waiting for an answer on that one BTW.

That aside, cross-faction grouping wouldn't be that much of a stretch. ;)

Edited by Darth_Wicked

You might want to look up Golden Globe on Wookieepedia...

I think that is what is in the tower.

Already addressed in your topic but will post below as well:

If memory serves me right, the Golden Globe was mystical in nature, absent any sign of being sentient-made; Kinda like the "Sphere" from the Michael Crichton novel.

The sphere visible in the trailer seems to be sentient-made, engineered and assembled afterwards.

In other words, I seriously doubt it's the thing you're talking about. If it's some sort of device, it is probably something pertaining the Rakatan Infinite Empire.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Actually, I think the watchtower was a reference to A New Hope. Specifically, this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/02/Yavin-4-2.jpg

Looks good, looking forward to this expansion.

I alluded to that here as well. ;)

• Afterwards,
a Harrower-class Dreadnought enters the scene: Perhaps the one
Also an ode of sorts to "A New Hope"? Clearly visible are the Massassi Temples of old, rising above the jungle world.

Regardless, you see two people on the watchtower, NOT one. Plus, there's also the lyrics of the song to consider.

Yes, however as seen with the Sith infiltrators timeline involving the destruction of Naga Sadow, we know the Massassi survived the Wall of Light raised by the Jedi against Kun.

But as I also mentioned earlier, the Massassi Warriors you see during the Galactic Timeline videos are regular-sized, not on steroids. Or stims. :p

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Also, as you can see

, the Emperor had already sent -- over the years -- Sith Infiltrators to try and extinguish the influence of the Ancient Sith Lords on Korriban and Yavin 4, following the rise and fall of Exar Kun.

The likes of Naga Sadow and Marka Ragnos for example are the ones that worried the Emperor, NOT Exar Kun; The latter, for all intents and purposes, ended up being a puppet in the hands of the Ancient Sith.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Also, as you can see
, the Emperor had already sent -- over the years -- Sith Infiltrators to try and extinguish the influence of the Ancient Sith Lords on Korriban and Yavin 4, following the rise and fall of Exar Kun.

The likes of Naga Sadow and Marka Ragnos for example are the ones that worried the Emperor, NOT Exar Kun; The latter, for all intents and purposes, ended up being a puppet in the hands of the Ancient Sith.

A puppet? he destroyed Freedon Nadd, almost conquered the galaxy... did a far better job at it than Naga Sadow ever did anyway.

He was far from a puppet, he became one of the most powerful Sith Lords of all time... Marka Ragnos was clearly much more powerful... you know when he lost to Jaden Korr... whereas it took Luke, Vodo and an entire set of prodigies to vanquish Kun for good.

A puppet? he destroyed Freedon Nadd, almost conquered the galaxy... did a far better job at it than Naga Sadow ever did anyway.

Still a puppet, all things considered, one the Galactic Timeline video you chose to ignore puts forward. He was manipulated by both Naga Sadow and Marka Ragnos, sicked against the Republic in order to put a damper on whatever plans the Sith Emperor had.

He was far from a puppet, he became one of the most powerful Sith Lords of all time... Marka Ragnos was clearly much more powerful... you know when he lost to Jaden Korr... whereas it took Luke, Vodo and an entire set of prodigies to vanquish Kun for good.

Again, you're fantasizing over stuff that has no real significance or connection to this game.

This is Revan.

This is TOR.

This isn't Jedi Academy, nor it is Exar Kun back from the dead 3500+ years later or so.

Edited by Darth_Wicked