The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Flamethrowers tooltip is incorrect

JackNader

Tooltip reads: -

Torches everything in a 10m cone with a flamethrower dealing X amount of damage over the duration.

This ability does not hit all targets in its cone. Pull several mobs and bunch them up and you will see.

Either fix the tooltip or change it so that it actually hits everything in its cone of fire (later option preferred)

Edited by JackNader

Torches everything in a 10m cone with a flamethrower dealing X amount of damage over the duration.

This ability does not hit all targets in its cone. Pull several mobs and bunch them up and you will see.

Either fix the tooltip or change it so that it actually hits everything in its cone of fire (later option proffered)

It does work properly. The animation is a fair indication of the cone and it ticks 4x. So if they are outside of the cone for a tick it won't work. The cone = a triangle with you the point of the triangle FYI!

No it doesn't work properly. As I said, go pull multiple mobs ( 25+ individual units) and then line of sight so they all are basically stacked on top of each other and then unload on them. You will notice that the amount of targets that flamethrower hits is capped.

Take an engineering sniper and do exactly the same thing and then wall bang. All targets take damage.

Interesting, i have no such problems with the Subteroths in HM Draxus hitting all of them, i see 4 damage ticks like flood my screen when i pop FT over them, each for ~4k Crit because Explosive Fuel is amazing.

Not even close to what i am talking about.

Here's an example. Go to tatooine. Find the republic side heroic 4 area full of 10k elites. Agro every single one in sight ( should be about 30 - 40 NPCS). Pull all of them into one of the huts so that the lot are standing in the doorway. Unload your flamethrower on them and watch what happens. You will notice that the vast majority of them will be completely untouched and only the ones in the immediate front row seem to take damage. The amount of targets that the ability hits is definitely capped.

Never new this was a bug, I just assumed that this was how the ability was supposed to function. But she's right, on HM Draxus, I only hit the front row of subteroths when they are grouped up, and the farthest is ~7 meters away

I believe that many are missing the biggest thing about this, that it is a CONE. Meaning that at the start, from center mass of your toon, the cone is at it's smallest, whereas further out it grows to encompass a much larger area.

It has a 5 mob limit

/facepalm

it most definitely does not have 5 mob limit.

If it did, it would say so in the tooltip.

and anyone who actually uses it can easily see damage numbers popping for more than 5 at a time.

It might have a limit, but it is certainly hell of a lot more than 5.

It might have also some other limitations on hitting targets that completely behind another or something.

• 2 weeks later...

It does NOT have a 5 target limit.

/facepalm

it most definitely does not have 5 mob limit.

If it did, it would say so in the tooltip.

and anyone who actually uses it can easily see damage numbers popping for more than 5 at a time.

It might have a limit, but it is certainly hell of a lot more than 5.

It might have also some other limitations on hitting targets that completely behind another or something.

1. Open Parsec and start parsing

2. Go to tatooine

3. Do the heroic 4 mission "Blood and sand"

4. Pull the entire cave (dont attack anything)

5. Run back to the entrance

6. Use Pulse Cannon/Flamethrower on the huge group of 50+ mobs in front of you

7. Once pulse cannon/flamethrower is over, walk outside

8. Look at parsec

It will say "Flamethrower. 20 ticks of damage". Unlimited targets means it would say "Flamethrower. 200+ ticks of damage"

That means it hit 5 targets. Which means its broken. Or its tooltip is.

1. Open Parsec and start parsing

2. Go to tatooine

3. Do the heroic 4 mission "Blood and sand"

4. Pull the entire cave (dont attack anything)

5. Run back to the entrance

6. Use Pulse Cannon/Flamethrower on the huge group of 50+ mobs in front of you

7. Once pulse cannon/flamethrower is over, walk outside

8. Look at parsec

It will say "Flamethrower. 20 ticks of damage". Unlimited targets means it would say "Flamethrower. 200+ ticks of damage"

That means it hit 5 targets. Which means its broken. Or its tooltip is.

Yup. This.

I was under the impression that everyone knew that even though the tooltip says everything that it would be capped. and my other question is why are you aggroing anything more then 20 mobs? with the damage flamethrower does no matter your spec it makes sense its capped to a point

Pulse cannon tooltip says 5 targets and always has. Flamethrower tooltip is incorrect and it has never hit more than 5.

Pulse Cannon

Rank 9

Channeled: 3sec

Energy Cells: 24

Cooldown: 18s

"Sprays waves of ionizing energy at targets in a 10-meter cone, dealing XXXX elemental damage over the duration."

I guess I'm blind.

I've only been saying this for the better part of two years now. The 5 target limit and the misinformed tool tip has really irritated me, and I've sent in at least 5 bug reports. I'm glad to see all AoE's turing into 8 targets for 3.0... of course sad day for orbital getting nerfed to 8 targets.

If that reddit post was accurate anyway. Also if it is, pyro and AP are doing a little swapping and things are going to be odd

Also how the hell could all you people who didn't notice the limit.. not notice?

Edited by Melon_Lord