SWTOR is among the most popular MMO's on PC

Trevor_the_Bruce

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think since Galactic Strongholds was released, SWTOR made a important change. Guilds have a lot more importance. Before, it was just a social club and a slight experience boost. Now you can hang with your friends and work towards something while competing with other guilds. One of the best decisions SWTOR has made, IMO. I think this game is attracting a lot of people and retaining them cause there is a lot of content in this game and it takes a while to work through storylines (usually for me its 2-3 months per character at the rate I play per week).

Time sinks and completionist charts definitely "work" and help with retention and with conquests, collections, achievements, reputations, decorations they added a lot of them now to the game.

Well, lets look at the chart for a second. While I find the information intriguing. The sample population may not be very large. This only tracks the times played by Raptr players. So at most, it is interesting anecdotal data.

Personally, I believe the game is doing welll (and improving), I am definitely seeing more activity with Strongholds & Conquest. So do not subscribe to the Doooommmmm threads.

Not sure how much of the "PC Gamer" population uses Raptr to be honest. I downloaded it once, and took it off the same day. But thats just me.

So.....apparently back when ESO and Wildstar were coming out, I saw lots of posts saying this game is dying and those 2 were going to be the cause of SWTOR's downfall. Well I saw an interesting article today that begs to differ. In fact, SWTOR is doing much better than both Wildstar and ESO. The people that left this game for those 2 other ones were apparently replaced by more and this game is far from dying. It's doing quite well. I liked what Galactic Strongholds did, and I'm looking forward to the next expansion!

http://caas.raptr.com/most-played-pc-games-august-2014-league-of-legends-world-of-tanks-get-an-esports-boost/

Good post. Yes, every time a new MMO comes out "SWTOR is toast". I've always failed to comprehend how a respected company with a popular IP that spent (it has been estimated) nearly $200 million on development is going to be undone by by some one-off. Wildstar... it sounds like some western.

Hey, it's probably a good game and I'm hardly a snob - anybody here play Seed, Tabula Rasa, and Fallen Earth? I just don't see anything in the immediate horizon that is going to get me to unsubscribe.

...beyond the horizon... I'm not sure I'll be able to resist the Chris Robert's Star Citizen!

- Arcada

The conquest system has a lot of flaws but it`s definitely an improvement and a step into the right direction. Same with the Strongholds.

I personally believe the conquest system was a fantastic addition... I hope it is expanded upon. While you could group forOps, Flashpoints, PvP, etc as a guild prior... this is the first thing that showcases what the guild accomplished together.

I'm a little shocked (actually) how much I enjoy the strongholds... I didnt think I'd be at all interested in interior decorating, or playing house... but i find myself taking a lot of time to make it look "right" to me.

Wildstar's not doing all that well lately from the looks of it.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/632/feature/8971/WildStar-What-Went-Wrong.html

ESO seems pretty stable IMO, and I imagine it'll slowly gain momentum over the years just like SWTOR as it receives more updates and features that improve upon the base game.

Edited by Callaron

I personally believe the conquest system was a fantastic addition... I hope it is expanded upon. While you could group forOps, Flashpoints, PvP, etc as a guild prior... this is the first thing that showcases what the guild accomplished together.

I'm a little shocked (actually) how much I enjoy the strongholds... I didnt think I'd be at all interested in interior decorating, or playing house... but i find myself taking a lot of time to make it look "right" to me.

I also had a similar experience. Player housing was a new concept to me and I didn't know if I'd like it or not. But after spending many hours making my place look like i want it, and then inviting my friends to my stronghold to see it, I've had a blast also checking out my friends strongholds. You kinda develop a sense of pride in your house, and when you party in your house with your friends, it can be lots of fun just chillin and having a good conversation in a lively place rather than the fleet or a planet we've all been to. I look forward to future patches adding more content to strongholds and conquest events!

Wildstar's not doing all that well lately from the looks of it.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/632/feature/8971/WildStar-What-Went-Wrong.html

Interesting read. I really couldn't stand the graphics and all the various "don't stand here" highlighted areas. They just killed any kind of immersion. That, the clunky pop-references and general lack-of-seriousness given to the world really turned me off to WIldstar.

Edited by Darth_Razed

This year had the feeling of being a wasted year. Mostly due to GSF. I think GSH did enough to at least put things on steady ground so that what ever 3.0 should bring things hopefully will be better

GSF on it's own is good and tons of fun. It's major problem is almost complete disconnetction from the rest of the game, the ultimate themepark side-activity. What it needs is a second part, PVE/open-space that would integrate it with the ground game/old content. It's what GSH did well. Decorations in every part of the game, old and new, gained by various means and mechanics. Seeker Droid/Binocular mechanics should be modified in this fashion as well. They're bringing a lot of good new alternative gameplay mechanics but not necessarily integrating them well enough in many cases, making them too much of side activities.

I personally feel GSF failed to meet expectations based on general poor design. It is not a failure by any stretch IMO, but in my eyes it certainly did not reach the level of adoption or attract any meaningful amount of new players.

I do feel, however, that GSH has more to offer, especially with respect to QoL and despite what I feel were some poor design choices this part of the feature gives is wide appeal, so it has a much better chance IMO of encouraging wide adoption numbers and effecting new player recruitment in a meaningful way.

It is a step in the right direction, though it still falls short in a few ways IMO.

The most common complaint web wide about GSF seems to be the very steep curve when it comes to gear in the feature. Instead of being something more like BF2, which places most players on a relatively even plane and concentrates on skill, the feature allowed a player to outfit his or her ship in a way that almost completely shuts out new players. Lack of joystick compatibility does not help IMO.

This, IMO, discourages folks from giving it a real try and turns it into a niche product. Instead of giving it wide appeal I believe they designed it in a way that it is a product that appeals to few outside hardcore gear based PVP folks.

Edited by LordArtemis

SW:TOR is popular, no doubt. My worry is that EA, as they've shown in the past, will not settle for anything other than a WoW killer, which is an impossible task for any team (even Blizzard). SW:TOR is an incredible success that isn't receiving recognition from its own publisher, and that lack of faith may turn itself into a self-fulfilling prophecy if SW:TOR doesn't receive EA's full confidence again.

SW:TOR is popular, no doubt. My worry is that EA, as they've shown in the past, will not settle for anything other than a WoW killer, which is an impossible task for any team (even Blizzard). SW:TOR is an incredible success that isn't receiving recognition from its own publisher, and that lack of faith may turn itself into a self-fulfilling prophecy if SW:TOR doesn't receive EA's full confidence again.

Can you elaborate on your statement? How does the game not receive EA's full confidence? Can you point to any specific examples?

This is an accurate picture of EA, however, the game DOES appear to be back in the company's favour now. It recieves continuous mentions in quaterly fiscal reports and was present at Gamescom press conference. So whatever happened, the numbers must be at least good enough for EA now. And honestly, it would be stupid to 'pull the plug' no with upcoming SIX Star Wars movies from 2015 till the end of the decade. Interest in brand will be at all time high, it will basically be free promotion for the game

I really hope that GSH will be the benchmark of things to come. I can't believe how well integrated into the main activities of the game it actually is. This, of course, in complete contrast to GSF, which feels like it was litterally developed by an outsourced software team and, aside from some placeables in the world, feels completely seperate from the main game.

Bioware also made a HUGE score with the new shipment of cartel packs. It was wise to introduce a seperata item roll in the packs for decorations only, instead of the item supplanting an item roll like the GSF gas cannisters which weren't even selling for 5 credits. The decorations still haven't lost momentum on the GTN. This in spite of the many, many packs now being opened for the decorations alone, if the cost of everything else from the packs is to be believed. Armor sets, mounts, crystals and weapons have never been so low for previous packs. Whomever it was that made the call to lower the price of a pack to 210 CC deserves a pat on the shoulder. It's far, far better to sell 1000 packs for 210 than it is selling 100 packs for 320.

Future's looking good, real good. Let's hope 3.0 continues the trend and delivers in spades.

Can you elaborate on your statement? How does the game not receive EA's full confidence? Can you point to any specific examples?

The Cartel Market itself is the most evident and flagrant example. The staff turnover rate, as well. But I can recall certain instances going all the way back to beta wherein EA pushed for certain mechanics or philosophies not because they were best for the game, but because Blizzard had them.

For example, the entire concept of "visual progression" of our characters as we levelled and raided was pushed heavily. The modding system (which was even more expansive than it is now), was completely gutted to the point that it was pretty much useless (meanwhile, WoW itself was working on their transmog system). I'd say we have about 80% of the functionality we once had, but the dying system nearly brings it up to par (although I would still love to use my Sith Sword fully-modded).

Another is the inclusion of the rush no-story flashpoints. SW:TOR developers thought of flashpoints of something more-rare and rather important, whereas EA looked to WoW and saw that you should be able to be running them at any level. This isn't exactly a bad decision, but it definitely distracted from other areas of development.

However, recently, the development team (as different as it is from those who launched the game) seems to have quite a bit of creative freedom. That being said, they're virtually silent as far as communication with the playerbase goes. I'm not sure if this should be worrisome or encouraging. Less involvement with EA generally means a more unique product in line with the expectations of this playerbase rather than that of WoW's. But it may also mean that they're looking for the Next Big Thing, and allow SW:TOR to go the way of WAR (the MMO EA gutted to make SW:TOR).

The Cartel Market itself is the most evident and flagrant example. The staff turnover rate, as well. But I can recall certain instances going all the way back to beta wherein EA pushed for certain mechanics or philosophies not because they were best for the game, but because Blizzard had them.

For example, the entire concept of "visual progression" of our characters as we levelled and raided was pushed heavily. The modding system (which was even more expansive than it is now), was completely gutted to the point that it was pretty much useless (meanwhile, WoW itself was working on their transmog system). I'd say we have about 80% of the functionality we once had, but the dying system nearly brings it up to par (although I would still love to use my Sith Sword fully-modded).

Another is the inclusion of the rush no-story flashpoints. SW:TOR developers thought of flashpoints of something more-rare and rather important, whereas EA looked to WoW and saw that you should be able to be running them at any level. This isn't exactly a bad decision, but it definitely distracted from other areas of development.

However, recently, the development team (as different as it is from those who launched the game) seems to have quite a bit of creative freedom. That being said, they're virtually silent as far as communication with the playerbase goes. I'm not sure if this should be worrisome or encouraging. Less involvement with EA generally means a more unique product in line with the expectations of this playerbase rather than that of WoW's. But it may also mean that they're looking for the Next Big Thing, and allow SW:TOR to go the way of WAR (the MMO EA gutted to make SW:TOR).

Many things that you pointed out have nothing to do with "no confidence votes" from EA.

Many are conscious design decisions, many of which were made to make the game appeal to a larger market. I am still waiting on evidence that EA isn't giving this game full confidence and backing.

I don't think you understand what you are saying. You are using terms and you don't actually know what they mean.

Many things that you pointed out have nothing to do with "no confidence votes" from EA.

Many are conscious design decisions, many of which were made to make the game appeal to a larger market. I am still waiting on evidence that EA isn't giving this game full confidence and backing.

I don't think you understand what you are saying. You are using terms and you don't actually know what they mean.

And you are being deliberately inflammatory rather than actually discussing the content of the post, providing no room for legitimate discussion. Have a good day. :)

And you are being deliberately inflammatory rather than actually discussing the content of the post, providing no room for legitimate discussion. Have a good day. :)

I am not being inflammatory. I stated that you don't actually know what you are talking about because, from your statements, you provided no evidence to back up your claim.

You simply pointed out design decisions that were made by the Bioware team that you didn't like. Most, if not all, of your points are simply design decisions they made to appeal to a larger market.

I want to see hard evidence that EA has no confidence in this product. If anything, EA has been pointing out the success, per the last investment report. We have seen consistent updates leading to the supposed news of 3.0.

Again, what hard evidence can you provide that shows EA has no confidence in this product?

This is an accurate picture of EA, however, the game DOES appear to be back in the company's favour now. It recieves continuous mentions in quaterly fiscal reports and was present at Gamescom press conference. So whatever happened, the numbers must be at least good enough for EA now. And honestly, it would be stupid to 'pull the plug' no with upcoming SIX Star Wars movies from 2015 till the end of the decade. Interest in brand will be at all time high, it will basically be free promotion for the game

Don't misread me - I highly doubt the rug will be pulled out from under BioWare for a good, long time. That being said, while I would not contend that the game is on "life support" or some other such nonsense, I do not believe that it is receiving the attention (and resources) from EA to maintain a steady stream of quality content - attention it would be receiving if it had lived up to the impossible goals that EA had for the game. Goals that their meddling actively hindered, in hindsight.

Again, what hard evidence can you provide that shows EA has no confidence in this product?

Arkerus, I think you know that no such hard evidence exists. However, it is pretty clear that EA promotes the games it feels are doing well, and at one point SWTOR was not likely in it's favorite corner.

However, it looks like that has likely changed.

It is really just speculation by almost anyone that posts this sort of thing.