Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

On the Definition of Epic.

Dras_Keto

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Most of us"? Evidence? You can only speak for yourself

Yes I shouldn't have said "most", I actually should have said "some", but you would be naive to assume my comment is in a vacuum, frankly some of us are sick of this repeated rhetoric on how some challenge is needed, we have no issue with tactical FPs. People who like challenges never liked tactical FPs (or be precise don't like the emphasis on tactical instead of HM). But my point is to stop describing the issue as tactical being a sleazy way out, because that's a solution to a problem we are partly responsible for.

In the end, OP is being misguided if he thinks epic means difficult, in that context epic refers to the story not to his preferred level of difficulty.

Edit: My point is that we know you don't like it, we have seen these threads come up every time a new tactical comes out, and it is a misguided anger.

Edited by znihilist

it's the third part of a storyline thats been oushed through tatical flashpoints, where you expecting a raid?

I think it's safe to say everyone understands that they're doing it. I think a lot of people even know why they're doing it. But some of those people think that even with those reasons they should not be doing it.

I think it's safe to say everyone understands that they're doing it. I think a lot of people even know why they're doing it. But some of those people think that even with those reasons they should not be doing it.

Some of those people don't understand how the expansion cycle works and have overblown expectations for a time frame leading up to a new expansion.

If you want to go play a game for the story.... you play a single player RPG. Mass Effect, Deus Ex, something of that nature. What passes for a story in an mmo is merely a backdrop for the gameplay. Advancing the storyline with crap you can practically sleep through is stupid and it caters to the ever growing crowd of nimrods who have absolutely no clue what they are doing.

If they wanted to advance a story line through a series of flashpoints, they should have done something like Kaon and LI. Make a story version for those "less capable" and put in a hardmode version that might actually take some effort.

TL;DR: Calling something easier than most H4s "epic" is lame.

If you want to go play a game for the story.... you play a single player RPG. Mass Effect, Deus Ex, something of that nature. What passes for a story in an mmo is merely a backdrop for the gameplay. Advancing the storyline with crap you can practically sleep through is stupid and it caters to the ever growing crowd of nimrods who have absolutely no clue what they are doing.

If they wanted to advance a story line through a series of flashpoints, they should have done something like Kaon and LI. Make a story version for those "less capable" and put in a hardmode version that might actually take some effort.

You seem upset.

The story is epic, epic doesn't not mean what you only wants it to mean. Just say that you want HMs instead of twisting the definitions of words.

How is this epic, exactly? What about this makes you feel like its epic? Where are you getting this notion of "WOW, that... is soo... cool!" ?

Ill tell you. You arent. The word epic has been completely diluted. Its meaningless.

Although, I guess this means that, depending on how you want to look at it, this "story arc" actually is "epic."

Epic=/=Difficult

An Epic, is a long journey, with many changes. These may be hard for others than for you. I certainly can not faceroll through KDY in 140 gear at 55 when I never did KDY before. Maybe you can/could/did.

Epic in the modern sense means awesome. Still does not mean challenging. Just awesome, to a further degree of awesome that awesomely, and awesomeness can not cover.

As for the lack of the word Tactical in the description, Who the <bleep> doesn't already know Forged Alliances is a Tactical by now?

How is this epic, exactly? What about this makes you feel like its epic? Where are you getting this notion of "WOW, that... is soo... cool!" ?

Ill tell you. You arent. The word epic has been completely diluted. Its meaningless.

Although, I guess this means that, depending on how you want to look at it, this "story arc" actually is "epic."

The conclusion of the story is epic because the moment we think we have taken out our two visible enemies we are confronted by an even bigger (and old) enemy.

epic finale

There is nothing in the original statement that could have lead you to believe that it didn't mean the conclusion of the story. The word difficulty or challenging wasn't even mentioned.

You left out the word tactical.

they mean epic story-wise. From what I hear the ending of Forged Alliances is supposed to help tie into 3.0 so thats why it would be important. Either way the last 2 segments of Forged Alliances are both known tactical flashpoints, it is very logical to assume that the final flashpoint would also follow this pattern.

Yes I shouldn't have said "most", I actually should have said "some", but you would be naive to assume my comment is in a vacuum, frankly some of us are sick of this repeated rhetoric on how some challenge is needed, we have no issue with tactical FPs. People who like challenges never liked tactical FPs (or be precise don't like the emphasis on tactical instead of HM). But my point is to stop describing the issue as tactical being a sleazy way out, because that's a solution to a problem we are partly responsible for.

In the end, OP is being misguided if he thinks epic means difficult, in that context epic refers to the story not to his preferred level of difficulty.

Edit: My point is that we know you don't like it, we have seen these threads come up every time a new tactical comes out, and it is a misguided anger.

To be fair, I would like tactical flashpoints to be a bit fleshed out more. They don't even need to be that challenging. I'd just like to see more than boss A, B and C in each flashpoint. Depths of Manaan and Rakata have gotten better at that, with at least a few dialogue sequences, and some actual plot development happening. But KDY, Czerka FP and the first two Forged Alliance FP are kinda meh, IMO. Like, if you're gonna make these tactical FPs short, and they only ever drop one piece of Basic gear, then at least make them challenging. OR don't make them challenging but fulfill the other two desirables.

My memory is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure SWtOR was hyped around being heavily story focused and that was what set it apart form other MMOs. So in essence, you are complaining that SWtOR is living up to it's promise.

Story wise, I think it was epic, if leaked files hadn't spoiled it, I probably would have more shocked about his return.

Gameplaywise, it was pretty much a faceroll. I expect it to be a bit more of a challenge when they introduce more HM with the new expansion.

Edited by Nickious

Most of us really don't care it is tactical, we enjoy it!

I'm personally sick of tacticals.....Its just a zerg rush and incredibly boring with little to no mechanics going on. Sadly the games population is too small so we will never see the old style flaspoints ever again.

My memory is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure SWtOR was hyped around being heavily story focused and that was what set it apart form other MMOs. So in essence, you are complaining that SWtOR is living up to it's promise.

Listening to instead of reading quest intros = heavily-story focused ? This game is less story focused than wow.....

Story wise, I think it was epic, if leaked files hadn't spoiled it, I probably would have more shocked about his return.

After the first part, it was either the emperor or revan. And, if it was revan, it would end up being about the emperor anyway since this next expansion will quite obviously be the last. When Manaan was put on the PTS, it sealed it. Everyone knew about it before the leaks. Grand music and a big floating head doesnt make something epic...

Gameplaywise, it was pretty much a faceroll. I expect it to be a bit more of a challenge when they introduce more HM with the new expansion.

If. Even if they do, we are right back in the same boat of "We upped the hp and power stat of the mobs" = new content that sailed with HM Hammer -> Cad.

I agree, but the thing is, the word epic was devalued over the past several years. EAWare wasn't responsible, millenials were responsible.

That said, don't you think that when they raise the level cap they'll introduce a bunch of new HM FPs and they'll be all the tac FPs they've been throwing at us? That's what I suspect, anyhow.

I agree, but the thing is, the word epic was devalued over the past several years. EAWare wasn't responsible, millenials were responsible.

That said, don't you think that when they raise the level cap they'll introduce a bunch of new HM FPs and they'll be all the tac FPs they've been throwing at us? That's what I suspect, anyhow.

I believe it's fair to assume they may come to release a couple of new ones but yeahhh, they implied on a earlier Twitch stream that an HM treatment for the more recent flashpoints was likely.

Plus, we're still missing Colicoid War Games and Red Reaper from Vanilla TOR.

it's not because the population is too small... it's because everyone and their dog rolls a DPS, when new players join the game and ask for advice the first thing they're told by other players is to roll whichever DPS build is popular at the time... if more people rolled Tanks and Healers then there'd be no need to turn down the difficulty artificially by Tactical Flashpoints... blame the community for this not the developers...

on another note, i don't understand at all this hate some people have for story in game, if you don't want story in your game theres a whole slew of games from the 80's & 90's that have no story at all; Pac-Man, Dig-Dug, Asteroids, Centipede, Super Mario Brothers, the list goes on... but, this game was promoted on the fact that it was story driven, so i fail to see the ire directed at it having a story element to it...

Edited by Elly_Dawn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.