So Rakata Prime... The wrong direction in difficulty

Toweleeeie

This is after nerf with character at level 55 in good gear (looks 180-ish, assuming from HP). It was a real nightmare when it got released (gear recommended/required was Columi gear, a gear that dropped only from operations).

It was Tionese they balanced it around. Something that many including myself found it do be do able in.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is after nerf with character at level 55 in good gear (looks 180-ish, assuming from HP). It was a real nightmare when it got released (gear recommended/required was Columi gear, a gear that dropped only from operations).

Hmmmm... Columi tokens dropped at the end of LV50 HM flashpoints, not to mention you could actually purchase them with commendations.

Perhaps you were thinking of Rakata Gear.

Regardless, Columi was fine for Lost Island HM.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Try it, quite a few people in Drop it Like it's Hoth have solo'd it, I know of both Jugg DPS and Merc healers who have done it. Required geared companions but then there is no real reason if you raid to not have a companion in at least full 180's with some Dread Touched with the amount of that that goes to waste.

You're talking about soloing a lvl 50 HM in gear like 4-5 tiers above what was intended. I guarantee you nobody was soloing it on tier ;) When first released it was at the same level if not harder than HM EC, but was nerfed a few times after it's initial release. You know, NiM EV and KP used to be fairly difficult too...just because they're trivial now as 55s in gear twice as strong as on tier doesn't mean it wasn't hard when it released :p

It was Tionese they balanced it around. Something that many including myself found it do be do able in.

they balanced it around Columni gear because it dropped Rakata gear on the last boss. which was at the time 2nd highest tier. Lost Island was no joke

Edited by MisterBlackJack

You're talking about soloing a lvl 50 HM in gear like 4-5 tiers above what was intended. I guarantee you nobody was soloing it on tier ;) When first released it was at the same level if not harder than HM EC, but was nerfed a few times after it's initial release. You know, NiM EV and KP used to be fairly difficult too...just because they're trivial now as 55s in gear twice as strong as on tier doesn't mean it wasn't hard when it released :p

I am talking about Maanan not Lost Island

Because unless you were a hardcore raider, it was very difficult when it got released.

Which I am :p

they balanced it around Columni gear because it dropped Rakata gear on the last boss. which was at the time 2nd highest tier. Lost Island was no joke

Search for the yellow post. It is Tioneese

I am talking about Maanan not Lost Island

Gotcha, couldn't tell which part of the post you were responding too ;)

I haven't tried soloing Maanan yet, but I've done both Czerkas and the Tython one...Manaan definitely seems at least a bit harder than those two though.

Which I am :p

Honestly, no FP is going to be a challenge to the top progression raiders, but it was refreshing to have an FP that was at least somewhat challenging. You have to admit it was at least more fun than any other HM to that point or after.

Unfortunately BW has said they're sticking to tacticals so the hope for harder FPs is pretty much pointless :( I'd love to get HMs back and even NiM FPs that are scaled to at least HM Operation difficulty. Since they have the ability to bolster players and we also have some level appropriate instances/encounters in game, it would be best if they could scale all FPs to the gear level of the group. Most of the logic should be in game already.

Have to say the Rakata Prime boss fights were super boring with little to no mechanics. Boss eithers are either two guys or guy with some adds. There isn't anything interesting like the Manaan fights. Given there isn't a vendor either this FP seems a bit rushed and used to deliver a story to prep for 3.0 and nothing more.

Have to say the Rakata Prime boss fights were super boring with little to no mechanics. Boss eithers are either two guys or guy with some adds. There isn't anything interesting like the Manaan fights. Given there isn't a vendor either this FP seems a bit rushed and used to deliver a story to prep for 3.0 and nothing more.

Even the great Cartel Associate 0U-1FY agrees with us, yaaay

Unfortunately BW has said they're sticking to tacticals so the hope for harder FPs is pretty much pointless :( I'd love to get HMs back and even NiM FPs that are scaled to at least HM Operation difficulty. Since they have the ability to bolster players and we also have some level appropriate instances/encounters in game, it would be best if they could scale all FPs to the gear level of the group. Most of the logic should be in game already.

I expect we won't see HM's until the expansion if we see them again, I would guess things like Red Reaper and Colidcoid will get HM's. And some or all of the Tacticals will have two brackets like now: 10 to 59 and lvl 60. That gives them flashpoint level content at lvl 60 (or whatever the cap will be) Without having to slave away making brand new FP's which would take development time away from other aspects of the Expansion.

Looks great

Story good

Too much running

Too easy

I wish they'd spend as much time on the fights as they clearly did on the scenery.

At least with Manaan you could wipe on the 2nd boss if people screwed up.

They should do a gear check and scale Tactical FPs based on composition and average gear rating of the group.

Last rant they've made it so easy to get gear now that they shouldn't need to tune a tactical FP to a fresh 55 in 146 gear. Maybe their play-testers suck so hard they actually thought this was a challenge. :D

Lost Island difficult? Doesn't look that difficult tbh.

As somebody else said, that is post-nerf, with a well geared lvl 55 character. What wasn't mentioned, is that video is showing the SM version of the post-nerf Lost Island.

Back in the day, my guild could beat the HM versions of EV and KP without trouble. We found those HM Ops to be much easier than HM Lost Island. Lost Island was not worth the trouble. Basically, if you were able to defeat Lost Island, the loot drops probably weren't upgrades for you.

thing about Lost island is no one did it. BW has metrics to prove it. why the hell WOULD you do it when the amount of difficulty involved was greatly at odds with the loot you got from it. Lost island and explosive conflict came out to attempt to appease the hard core "we want **** hard as hell" crowd, whom all left anyway.

I expect we won't see HM's until the expansion if we see them again, I would guess things like Red Reaper and Colidcoid will get HM's. And some or all of the Tacticals will have two brackets like now: 10 to 59 and lvl 60. That gives them flashpoint level content at lvl 60 (or whatever the cap will be) Without having to slave away making brand new FP's which would take development time away from other aspects of the Expansion.

^This is exactly what I think will happen. I can't think of any other reason they'd be holding back HMs unless if they purposefully wanted to annoy the customers.

That said, why do people hold Lost Island up on a pedalstall. That FP was also a piece of piss to run, harder than the rest but still faceroll...

You answered your own question with the highlighted portion.

I personally hold Lost Island up on a pedestal. Not because it was impossible to run, but because it had the most interesting mechanics. The combat was fun. It required you to pay attention. I got better at interrupting, positioning bosses, managing resources, burst dps'ing, moving out of bad, simply by playing that flashpoint.

Are there any other flashpoints in this game that require that? Hmm?

It is the same with Maanan, you can solo that as well.

That said, why do people hold Lost Island up on a pedalstall. That FP was also a piece of piss to run, harder than the rest but still faceroll...

You clearly didn't play Lost Island before the 2 nerfs.

Haven't played this yet, but I'm more disappointed that this story line turned out to be nothing but cutscenes before and after flashpoints. I expected a great deal more from it.

That being said, tactical flashpoint *are* far too easy. It's kind of a given. Anything you can do without a healer or a tank is going to be. In my opinion, while Korriban/Tython was suitable for a tactical--a sort of mad zerg through enemy territory--Manaan should have been a longer more complex flashpoint along the lines of the fps available a launch which were a blend of tactics and meaningful story content. I'm going to assume that the new one is much the same as Manaan. These new fps compare most unfavorably to Black Hole or Kaon (for example). That's not to say Manaan was devoid of fun. I had a good time 2 manning it with a friend, but the fact that I could, and easily, pretty much says it all right there.

I am looking forward to seeing the Rakata planet and have found the story interesting and engaging. It could have been so much more, though.

Edited by errant_knight