The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Scam/Not a Scam debate storyline

LyraineAlei

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yeah I guess it would. But still, you distress players if you trick players and take their money.

I similarly distress players if I steal their kill or run past and open the crate while they are killing the mob around said crate.

Or if I buy an item that someone accidentally put up for 450.000 instead of 4.500.000 on the GTN.

Still isn't against the ToS, no matter how much it might "interfere with other service users ability to enjoy the game".

Seriusly guys... just stop with this thread already.... no matter what you say you will not get EvenHard to acknowledge that he is at fault.

With him its all circular arguments and passing off his opinions as fact or truth, while at the same time dismissing rational counter arguments as "your opinion", "victim blaming" and what not.

Just ignore him and let the thread die so that he can disappear along with it...

It's rather amusing isn't it?

I'll stop when I've had my fill.

It is quite enjoyable to argue with people like him from time to time.

I similarly distress players if I steal their kill or run past and open the crate while they are killing the mob around said crate.

Or if I buy an item that someone accidentally put up for 450.000 instead of 4.500.000 on the GTN.

Still isn't against the ToS, no matter how much it might "interfere with other service users ability to enjoy the game".

Killing players in open world isn't against the TOS because it's an intended game mechanic. That's why we have PVE and PVP servers.

If you're selling an item you have full control over how much you put the item for, if you accidentally put it up for 450,000 instead of 4500000, that is your own fault.

However players do not "accidentally" put items on the GTN that are way overpriced, and are meant to look like lower prices because of the way the numbers are displayed. Buyers may accidentally read what the prices are though. But yes, it's their fault that they proceeded with the transaction, but it's not their fault if they were tricked by how the numbers are displayed.

Edited by EvenHardNiner

Problems like this, is why i tend to avoid the GTN as much as possible, i only sell on there, i never buy, i know how greedy alot of players can be, they just put as many zero's as possible to see if it sells, i mean, if it doesn't sell, you get your damn deposit back.

I suggest a change, make it so that you lose the deposit, even if it doesn't sell the item you post and increase the deposit for all items, that should stop the problem.

When it comes to scams, bioware should strictly monitor all trades and anything bad, the person doing the trading should get banned. end of story.

I know, it will never happen, all these companies care about is their profit margin, so the only time the company will intervene in anything is if their profits are in danger or they are in danger of being sued if they don't do anything.....such is the way of humanity.....only doing something good if it benefits you in the long run.

Yea look a few pages back and you'll see that Ive been arguing a fair bit with him. Sure it could be fun, but when you have zero chance of getting anywhere with him then theres no point (unless your intention is to get him to showcase his own stupidity).

Keeping this thread alive and at the top really only attracts more crazies and gives people the impression it is a bigger issue than it really is...

I just want to find out if the tiger ate the naked man. Or if the naked man found a GTN that had a spear for sale that wasn't too overpriced so that the naked man could kill the tiger and take its skin and sell it back to the other tigers for an astronomical price.

Killing players in open world isn't against the TOS because it's an intended game mechanic. That's why we have PVE and PVP servers.

If you're selling an item you have full control over how much you put the item for, if you accidentally put it up for 450,000 instead of 4500000, that is your own fault.

However players do not "accidentally" put items on the GTN that are way overpriced, and are meant to look like lower prices because of the way the numbers are displayed. Buyers may accidentally read what the prices are though. But yes, it's their fault that they proceeded with the transaction, but it's not their fault if they were tricked by how the numbers are displayed.

No they have free reign to list an item at any price they choose just like a buyer has free reign to decide if they wish to buy said item or not.

Yea look a few pages back and you'll see that Ive been arguing a fair bit with him. Sure it could be fun, but when you have zero chance of getting anywhere with him then theres no point..

I totally agree. Theres no chance of ever making you lot understand you are wrong. But i'm enjoying this debate :)

"My friend just stopped playing. Says he's lost 9 million credits to some individual named 'wisimulacha', over a stash of Opila Crystals"

"I have been a crafter here in SWTOR. Gathering materials and crafting pretty things was my favourite activity. When I lost 7 million credits trying to buy a stash of Ciridium on the GTN from some vbyikl'gusd (or what was their name) I lost my fuel to do it anymore"

"I hate this game now! My first character finally was able to afford speeder piloting, but I accidentally spent it all for 4 pieces of Desh on the GTN. I thought I was paying 187 credits for one, when n reality I payed 18789 for it. Going back to Skyrim"

Just kidding with those citations, but they are not entirely impossible. With current display of decimals on GTN, there appear to be more and more specialized individuals (with ridiculous names, clearly created just for GTN use) who regularly try to deceive players into buying stuff for much more than intended.

I wish developers would change the decimal display on GTN

Edited by jstankaroslo

No they have free reign to list an item at any price they choose just like a buyer has free reign to decide if they wish to buy said item or not.

Yes they do, but the buyer has no choice whether he is tricked or not. The seller however has a choice whether or not they want to trick the buyer.

Read again.

Never said anything about killing other players or PvP.

So, please, go back and read my examples, or I'll simply post them again until you actually read them and reply.

Yea look a few pages back and you'll see that Ive been arguing a fair bit with him. Sure it could be fun, but when you have zero chance of getting anywhere with him then theres no point (unless your intention is to get him to showcase his own stupidity).

Keeping this thread alive and at the top really only attracts more crazies and gives people the impression it is a bigger issue than it really is...

I see you've discovered my ulterior motives :cool:

And yes, this will attract attention to the thread.

But not only from crazies, but from bioware too so maby they can step in and end this madness once and for all.

Read again.

Never said anything about killing other players or PvP.

So, please, go back and read my examples, or I'll simply post them again until you actually read them and reply.

Oh my bad, I thought you said kill other players. But killing other players mobs? If you attack a mob nobody else can get the loot. But obviously whoever attacks it first gets the kill. And for taking their crates...well it''s open world, it's not in an instanced area, so anybody can take the crate. Not sure what your point is though.

Problems like this, is why i tend to avoid the GTN as much as possible, i only sell on there, i never buy, i know how greedy alot of players can be, they just put as many zero's as possible to see if it sells, i mean, if it doesn't sell, you get your damn deposit back.

I suggest a change, make it so that you lose the deposit, even if it doesn't sell the item you post and increase the deposit for all items, that should stop the problem.

When it comes to scams, bioware should strictly monitor all trades and anything bad, the person doing the trading should get banned. end of story.

Yup we should put systems in place to ensure that buyers always get the lowest price no matter what! To hell with seller profits! Damn it buyers have a god given right to get whatever they want for an ultra low price! :rolleyes:

Edited by BaronV

Oh my bad, I thought you said kill other players. But killing other players mobs? If you attack a mob nobody else can get the loot. But obviously whoever attacks it first gets the kill. And for taking their crates...well it''s open world, it's not in an instanced area, so anybody can take the crate. Not sure what your point is though.

Point is it annoys them and interferes with their ability to enjoy the game.

So... as much against the ToS as this so-called "scam".

Oh and as for your comment on the seller forgetting a 0.

It's obvious for me that he forgot a 0 (since he's selling something for 5 million less than the competition) and I buy it anyway, willfully exploiting his negligence.

It's the same as someone selling something at a ludicrous price to someone who isn't paying attention (just like the seller wasn't paying attention)

I'm not going to read through all these pages of nonsense, but what exactly would you propose OP?

If they start putting a 'low' maximum price on everything, forcing us to list things for less than we want as players, then we would really have a problem.

Oh I loved this part! Its perfectly okay to be a ninja loot stealer but dont you DARE list a price on the GTN that would make me mistakenly read it! :rolleyes:

Sure people should be paying attention, but for some people, especially new players, they may be tricked, and they will obviously learn from their mistake, but it doesn't mean the practice should continue.

You trying to say a new player would have enough cash to accidentally buy something for millions of credits?

By the time you have enough money to make a fool of yourself (aka "get scammed") on the GTN, you are no longer "a new player"