Guilty about Vette

Xilizhra

Before I actually played the Sith Warrior storyline, I was under the impression that Vette was a morally ambiguous lovable rogue sort of character, maybe somewhat akin to Isabela from Dragon Age, or a somewhat nicer version of Kaliyo. I was quite wrong; Vette is one of the most firmly light-sided companions in the game, up there with T7-M1 and Nadia Grell. And the fact remains that, even while playing LS yourself as a Sith Warrior, you're still doing a bunch of Imperial quests that involve some fairly despicable acts, like the one I did last night about slaughtering Jawas.

So it occurred to me that, given Vette's clear issues with loneliness, she might just be sticking with the Warrior despite any moral qualms solely because the Warrior is like a surrogate family member for her, and she doesn't want to rock the boat. And then I started feeling quite bad about that, especially because at this point in the game (Tatooine), I don't really see any reason why I shouldn't just run off and join the Jedi (and I'm female, so can't romance Vette, so even their ban on love wouldn't be a factor, at least not right away). But I can't, and would instead seem to keep on doing things that she would seem to hate doing, but would do for me... even if I don't want it to be the case myself. So it's quite frustrating and I've started to feel highly guilty about the entire storyline.

eh the companions are not given enough depth and freedom for those sort of things, she really only works as a freed slave that has no place else to go and likes money. there are options in the story to remind her that shes special to you, she sort of just becomes extremely loyal....continue her personal story, if you ever take parts of that as DS, damn it can be cold the stuff that goes down.

If you treat Vette like a slave and torment her every chance you get, the story starts to make sense. She simply breaks to your will and becomes a slave. Even if you eventually take off her collar you can threaten to, kill her, or put the collar back on if she doesn't obey. It gets really dark at that point. Forget the romance of course!

Cruelty in SWTOR can be shocking! :eek:

My sith warrior was pretty much neutral and didn't do any terrible things, at least when there was a cnahce to avoid them. Vette seemed more or less happy to be around, especially when I started to do her personal quests. But I must say, I regretted putting that slave collar off her neck almost immediately, because she became incredibly annoying: light side or not, your character is still sith, but Vette begins to act like you are her bigger sister (or brother in male sw's case). She becomes really really bold at times. And what surprised me most, she never even thanked me for handling her affairs. I mean, not a single "thanks" during her entire questlne. When I found her sister and helped the girl, Vette took it like it was the only thing I could do. Like you see sith giving away their money to damsels in disstress without hesitation every day. When I found her mother - well, sort of - she even blamed me for nothing more than giving her some advice, because she followed it and then changed her mind.

As a result, even though she went along my decisions thoroughout the storyline nicely, I never really liked her ot felt guilty for having her along. Nothing compared to how I feel after doing nasty things in front of T7-O1 and then wiping his memory.

Edited by Yria

I did notice right away she's set up for a LS romance option but there are more than a handful of DS choices that will net affection with Vette. She's not totally uber-goodie goodie. Any pompous or arrogant Sith, Imp officers or other NPC's you mistreat, she doesn't mind and will gain affection with her. Only when you do that to the injured imp soldiers/grunts looking for help, innocent civilians or down on their luck npc's will she not like it. She defiantly doesn't mind if you're a jerk to/troll other jerks.

Even though I was going full DS I always treated her like a teammate and equal rather than an underling, slave or piece of equipment. I also took that collar off the first moment I had the chance.

And what surprised me most, she never even thanked me for handling her affairs. I mean, not a single "thanks" during her entire questlne. When I found her sister and helped the girl, Vette took it like it was the only thing I could do. Like you see sith giving away their money to damsels in disstress without hesitation every day. When I found her mother - well, sort of - she even blamed me for nothing more than giving her some advice, because she followed it and then changed her mind.

Hmm, I had the opposite experiences with her.

Some Vette story spoilers.

I seem to remember that she was appreciative when I offered to pay for her sister's release. Perhaps it wasn't a direct thank you but I thought she said something like "Wow, really? You're the best!". It was close enough for me.

In that last bit with her mother, I suspect you encouraged her to kill the Hutt. She really doesn't want to and is looking for you to talk her out of it. I took the LS hit and talked her out of it. Paraphrasing the line (can't remember it exactly) it was something like; "if you do this now you will die on the inside and never be the same." When we got back to the ship she thanks you for saving her life. The warrior's line was great; "you let me be the the dark lord of revenge and you just be Vette. She responds with something like you really know her better than she knows herself. I just thought the whole thing was great, especially coming from a DS-romance POV.

Edited by Ridickilis

I went full Dark V with Vette, you get some fantastic dialogue:

Vette: Okay, I can’t take this anymore. Look I throw myself on your mercy or whatever. Please, just please remove this collar.

Warrior: You must learn to accept your situation.

Vette: But I’m gonna die from this! Don’t you understand? *Sobs*

Warrior: Make your case, quickly.

Vette: What? I… okay, I know… I know I’ve been lippy but I’m not that strong. I can’t take living like this. I feel like I’m rotting from the inside. Like I can’t feel anything anymore that’s not this collar.

Warrior: You are weak.

Vette: I never knew evil was so petty until I met you.

Fun Times:D

I seem to remember that she was appreciative when I offered to pay for her sister's release. Perhaps it wasn't a direct thank you but I thought she said something like "Wow, really? You're the best!". It was close enough for me.

Funny, but there was not even "Wow really?" in my case (sure, I could take that as thanks and have no problem with it :) ). But after I gave the money, she talked only to her sister and seemed to have completely forgotten about me, like I wasn't even present. That's why I was so surprised, she was quite happy in her previous quest when I simply agreed to hang out with her friends, and then I help her beloved sister... and she doesn't react? Weird. Might be a conversation bug, I don't know, or male and female warriors simply get different reactions here.

As for the Hutt's story, yes, you assume right, but to me it seemed that no matter what I said the choice was still Vette's. I didn't force her hand, I only expressed my opinion on what she should do, what I might have done in her place.

Edited by Yria

I got "Wow you are the best!" on an F!Warrior, I believe, seeing I did not make it that far with the boy. I dunno, despite the real weirdness of Vette accompanying a brutal DS female Sith Warrior, it somehow worked out. Off with the collar, and on we go. Stick to the ship, Vette, get us some gems, don't get into Pierce's way, and keep Malavai dully annoyed. Good job.

On my LS male, it is a no brainer, since the boy was custom tailored to romance her, so he is young, perky, Twil'ek and of the matching green skin color. They are going to have many Sith babies. That will run away and become Jedi or something. Good job.

Plus her sarcasm, cynical attitude and random ( and sometimes) awkward comments in perilous situations are downright hilarious.

''Okay, crazy Sith channel turned to mute, please?''

Comments like those make levelling a pleasant experience.

• 1 month later...

I completely disagree with the OP. She is by far not a pure LS companion. Sure, she is not a complete jerk like you can be by going pure DS, but going pure DS just for the sake of it is stupid anyway.

While many claim that she is tailor-made for LS sith, but i feel like she is far more neutral than anything else. And i actually feel she is a very good companion for a sith who is dark but not to the point that it's basically just you being a jerk for giggles. She's snarky, sarcastic and has a real mean streak to her when pissed off about something.

And she has the best line in the game; "Right! Back to Sith business. Grrrrrrr..." :D

Having a companion who blindly agrees with anything you do is boring as all hell. *cough*DS Jaeesa*cough*

I feel she is one of the most fleshed-out characters in the game. I wish she had gotten to reconnect with Risha at some point however.

On my stronghold I have Risha and her hanging out together in my lounge area. Also have doc and kaliyo hanging out as well as Mako and Qyzen doing slicing techy things in the garage :). I like how each pair is connected through the npc stories. Am I missing a companion connection?

Edited by wiredgutter

I got "Wow you are the best!" on an F!Warrior, I believe, seeing I did not make it that far with the boy. I dunno, despite the real weirdness of Vette accompanying a brutal DS female Sith Warrior, it somehow worked out. Off with the collar, and on we go. Stick to the ship, Vette, get us some gems, don't get into Pierce's way, and keep Malavai dully annoyed. Good job.

On my LS male, it is a no brainer, since the boy was custom tailored to romance her, so he is young, perky, Twil'ek and of the matching green skin color. They are going to have many Sith babies. That will run away and become Jedi or something. Good job.

My first jugg (first character actually) was a female light side sith. I felt like a strong sisterly bond formed between my character and hers, more so than other npcs. Kinda as a replacement Risha for her