Is Darkness still viable in PvP

Darkscape

Yes. I've had some good success with the spec in ranked, and while it may be more indicative of my familiarity of the class rather than the potency of the spec itself, I still think it is great. You may get knocked around some, but you still have great control and utility, plus that Resilience. Plus, hybrids are popping up in ranked that are pretty crazy ;D But either I still think it's great :D

What is the hybrid spec these days?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601MIrozzMZfrzRkGbRr.3

Something like this is popular. Basically, you lose a bit of control, but you get a lot more active survival in PvP. You'd run dps gear in this spec, with a shield. You'd basically want to be keeping Particle Acceleration going to keep that Kinetic Field up, and you also has the neat perk of some AoE damage reduction, which is pretty big in ranked. You also get Infiltration Tactics for some extra burst, and you have a lot of burst. Still want to be tossing guard and taunts around, but you have some dps capability, like VG tanks do, and Guardians do (they run Vigilance spec in soresu a lot). Not to mention you can pop Blackout. You basically can confuse the crap out of people who don't know what this spec does and absolutely tear into people.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601MIrozzMZfrzRkGbRr.3

Something like this is popular. Basically, you lose a bit of control, but you get a lot more active survival in PvP. You'd run dps gear in this spec, with a shield. You'd basically want to be keeping Particle Acceleration going to keep that Kinetic Field up, and you also has the neat perk of some AoE damage reduction, which is pretty big in ranked. You also get Infiltration Tactics for some extra burst, and you have a lot of burst. Still want to be tossing guard and taunts around, but you have some dps capability, like VG tanks do, and Guardians do (they run Vigilance spec in soresu a lot). Not to mention you can pop Blackout. You basically can confuse the crap out of people who don't know what this spec does and absolutely tear into people.

What confuses me about the spec you've shown is that it goes out of its way to include skills that only work when Shadow Technique is active when you specifically talk about Particle Acceleration which only works when Combat Technique is active.

If this is a Kinetic hybrid then you must be running Combat Technique so why spend so many points taking Potent Shadows which would do nothing for you at the expense of things like Shadowy Veil?

What confuses me about the spec you've shown is that it goes out of its way to include skills that only work when Shadow Technique is active when you specifically talk about Particle Acceleration which only works when Combat Technique is active.

If this is a Kinetic hybrid then you must be running Combat Technique so why spend so many points taking Potent Shadows which would do nothing for you at the expense of things like Shadowy Veil?

Because stance switching is a thing. You pop Potency in Shadow Technique and then swap back to Combat Technique, and get a double blast from your first Breach for a surprising amount of burst. Potent Shadows, used for the explained reason, and Circling Shadows, which has a large part of it not just restricted to Shadow Technique, are the only 2 talents that require Shadow Technique at all. Everything else is done back in Combat Technique. Also, Shadowy Veil wouldn't work in Combat Technique, read it again.

What I would be curious about, if I were you, is if the extra 20% Force Regen is important enough to forgo another extremely powerful DCD in Battle Readiness, which is arguably a full tank's strongest DCD.

You run Combat Technique in this, and in no way is my build optimal, just a template. And Potent Shadows = filler and you can lower FP cool down by re stealthing. Yes, it is confusing, but it works.

Because stance switching is a thing. You pop Potency in Shadow Technique and then swap back to Combat Technique, and get a double blast from your first Breach for a surprising amount of burst. Potent Shadows, used for the explained reason, and Circling Shadows, which has a large part of it not just restricted to Shadow Technique, are the only 2 talents that require Shadow Technique at all. Everything else is done back in Combat Technique. Also, Shadowy Veil wouldn't work in Combat Technique, read it again.

What I would be curious about, if I were you, is if the extra 20% Force Regen is important enough to forgo another extremely powerful DCD in Battle Readiness, which is arguably a full tank's strongest DCD.

You know what, you're right, did not think of that. Impact Control > One With The Force

For PvP, full Darknesss spec is considered subpar in terms of control for ranked. We have a good amount of control (Electrocute, Spike, Mind Trap, Overload, Whirlwind) But we lack an AOE mezz like the PT (Carbonize) and Jugg (Intimidating Roar) . Because of this we are vulnerable to high burst hard switch comps. Which everybody runs. If you are playing againt DOT specs though, Darkness does great.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.