Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Companions have no sense of personal space.

iain_b

Khem Val, I just met you. We have not yet built up enough of a relationship that I feel comfortable being this close to you, especially since you keep telling me how you want to eat me.

When we are running through the streets and wilds you are so close to me that I can't interact with the environment around us because your hulking, muscled bulk takes up a lot of my view.

And after a few hundred years in stasis you smell. Really, really bad...

Edited by iain_b

Khem Val, I just met you. We have not yet built up enough of a relationship that I feel comfortable being this close to you, especially since you keep telling me how you want to eat me.

When we are running through the streets and wilds you are so close to me I can't interact with the environment around us because your hulking, muscled bulk takes up a lot of my screen.

And after a few hundred years in stasis you smell. Really, really bad...

And stand on my loot and npc's i want to talk to :D

• 1 month later...

I haven't played an Imp yet so nothing to compare it to, but it sounds similar to my issues with Qyzen Fess.

Just always in my way. So much so that I start to get paranoid and think it's intentional because there is no way he just accidentally gets in my way this many times in a row.

I run up on the left side of an item so I can click it on my right side...Qyzen shoots in, runs around in a little circle and settles on my right side...directly in the way. I switch to the right side....he darts in, circles briefly, settles on my left side...again directly in the way. Back up and turn a bit, he does some raindance and settles on the item again.

This is an issue with all of the pets in TOR, but Khem Val is perhaps the most offensive, as he is just far too large

I hope they make it more like hunter pets in WoW, where when you get a new pet; they are scaled down to a managable size, to avoid this sort of thing

You under rate them IMO.

They are not pets, they are companions. You don't feed them, you don't tame them, and you don't pick talents for them.

They have much better AI and a much wider range of abilities then those pets in other MMOs. They interact with you in dialog and quest chains, and they have opinions and responses to what you do.

That said, yeah, they do get in the way, UNTIL you figure out their pathing habits and then you can easily adjust your movements so that they don't get in the way for looting, clicking on quest items, etc. etc.

And Khem is probably the best companion I have experienced so far in this game. His dialog, comments, and quips are very entertaining for me.

Of all the companions, Khem is the one that seems to have the most over sized hit box. If you back off on your viewing distance and slide the cursor around, you 'contact' him at about 3 times his actual width.

Having said that, all the companions seem to be too close on occasion, except of course when you get on an elevator and they decide not to ...

Khem and Qyzen are both as guilty as each other for this intrusion into one's personal space. I don't know why they have to stand just where you want to click but playing both an inquisitor and consular.... It bugs the hell out of me.. My bf laughs as he hears me swear to said pet to move their great big hulking butt out the way. Usually I get to that stage once I have moved a couple of times and they are still in the way!

You under rate them IMO.

They are not pets, they are companions. You don't feed them, you don't tame them, and you don't pick talents for them.

They have much better AI and a much wider range of abilities then those pets in other MMOs. They interact with you in dialog and quest chains, and they have opinions and responses to what you do.

Irrelevant semantics...

That said, yeah, they do get in the way, UNTIL you figure out their pathing habits and then you can easily adjust your movements so that they don't get in the way for looting, clicking on quest items, etc. etc.

And Khem is probably the best companion I have experienced so far in this game. His dialog, comments, and quips are very entertaining for me.

I shouldn't have to "learn" my companion's pathing habits. They do not need to stand within arms reach of me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.