The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PVP vanguard should i go tactics or assault?

khsolo

Assault has much higher single target burst. Simply put... The dps is amazing. As well as some nice perks in the tree such as reduced damge and reducing cooldown on adrenaline rush, less dot damage, lower cd for reload. Only drawback is it isn't too durable outside of adrenaline rush. And you can find yourself low on ammo it you aren't careful.

Tactics is much more fun to me. However the single target dps is much lower. It makes up for this with greater aoe pressure from pulse cannon and much much better resource management. It also feels more durable thanks to talents that reduce CC, and harpoon cd. Extended hold the line, and damage reduction from aoe and while stunned. Another drawback is the dps takes a considerable amount of time to wind up, but once you get going it runs very smoothly. Whereas you can easily jump into your rotation and dish out high dps much quicker in assault.

IMO tactics takes more skill to squeeze out it's full value. But an equally skilled player can do amazing things with assault. So both are very viable and it really depends if you want high single target burst... Or good aoe pressure with consistent single target and more utility.

Edited by LanceCorporalDan

• 3 weeks later...

Tactics takes much more practice to get good with in PvP, while Assault is very easy to play, and easy to master, literally all you should have to do is Assault Plastique > Incendeary Round > Stockstrike > High Impact Bolt > Ion Pulse > Ion Pulse and most people will have died.

Tactics though has more PvP oriented talents like Stablised Armor which reduces AOE Damage AND damage while stunned both by 30% and when you get stunned that means you take 60% less AOE damage but more than likely not a full 60% i dont know how the multiplication on that works, but i dont think you would take a full 60% less AOE Damage. Tactics has severely less damage in Single Target, but it has boatloads of AOE damage to compensate, in PvE with not great gear (like 1 - 2 180's and Set Bonus 162 gear) my Flamethrower with 3 stacks of PFT deals in the 7k - 8k range depending on Crits and such. also Tactics has more Shoulder Cannon use so you will want to delay both your Pulse Cannon and Shoulder Cannon missiles till you have Battle Focus up if you need high damage.

Tactics takes much more practice to get good with in PvP, while Assault is very easy to play, and easy to master, literally all you should have to do is Assault Plastique > Incendeary Round > Stockstrike > High Impact Bolt > Ion Pulse > Ion Pulse and most people will have died.

that rotation is flawed stockstrike 100% procs High impact bolt, you should use High impact bolt(beforehand) > Stockstrike >(proc) High Impact Bolt

that rotation is flawed stockstrike 100% procs High impact bolt, you should use High impact bolt(beforehand) > Stockstrike >(proc) High Impact Bolt

This statement is incorrect, stockstrike has a 60% chance to proc HiB Unless an Ion Pulse has been used since the last Ionic Accelerator proc has been consumed, in which case it is boosted to 100%.

This statement is incorrect, stockstrike has a 60% chance to proc HiB Unless an Ion Pulse has been used since the last Ionic Accelerator proc has been consumed, in which case it is boosted to 100%.

Yep, though i do admit that i did have a semi-flawed rotation, i should have put a HiB before the Stockstrike, but also i dont play Pyro that often at all because Retrac Blade and Immolate are so ****** that i cant stop playing AP, that and i hate the heat managment for Pyro in PvE, PvP it's ok, but i dont PvP at all anymore...

Particularly in 8v8 Regs, people (your target, their healers and tanks) don't really seem to react much until they see health bars actually going down.

Hit them with IR > AP > Sticky and they may not care because you've done basically no damage yet. Then you hit HIB and AP explodes at the same time. Then you hit Stockstrike and trigger your Plasma Cell while Sticky explodes at the same time. Then you hit them with another HIB if you got the proc, or IP > HIB if you didn't, and all the while three DoTs are ticking on them.

As an aside, I really wish BW would fix the tooltip to represent how the talent really works. I hate having to explain to people how the talent really works. Particularly with commandos as getting them to stop trying to proc HiB with FA is a uphill argument.

As mentioned already... both are perfectly viable for PvP.

Assault feels like everything in the tree is focused on pumping out damage.

Tactics has some nice survivability and 3 stacks of Flamethrower on a group and crits is extemely enjoyable to watch.