Farewell, Robin...

xilc

Now he and Jonathan Winters can make funny together. (Their Mork and Mindy scenes were 90% ad-libbed).

RIP sir.

Many of the movies and shows he worked on were the same way. They would give him a script, he would learn all his lines and perform them perfectly in rehearsals, then when it came time to film or take the stage when the performances were live, the script would be thrown out the window and Robin would be improvising his arse off.

His was a talent that has been unrivaled within the profession. He could only have 2 lines in a sitcom he does a guest appearance on, and he would still manage to steal the show. He will be dearly missed by so many.

This is such bad news...

Hook, Jumanji, Aladdin, Dead Poets Society, Mrs. Doubtfire, Good Morning, Vietnam... this man was in my favorite childhood movies and I'll always remember him as the lively person he always was.

But, at least the last few years, everything seems to have been an act.

Depression is a very real and very serious disorder, people. If you have reasons to believe you're suffering from it, seek help as soon as possible.

This so much.

I don't talk about it much, especially outside of close friends and family, but I've struggled with depression for most of my life. And it's not like I have much reason to be "down", as I've got a pretty good life. Wonderful, beautiful girl who is the love of my life, I'm a published writer, and I'm at the beginning of a young, promising career in paleontology and geology (mostly paleontology... far crappier money, but oh so amazing), and I'm still young and physically fit and healthy to boot.

Doesn't change the fact that, since I was 12, I've been dealing with bouts of severe depression (which, "wonderfully", also leads more often than not to severe anxiety! Yay human brain!). And by "severe", I mean there have been days (weeks, months, about a year at a time once or twice), where all I was capable of was laying on the bed/couch and contemplating all the ways I've failed in life and the myriad ways I could end it. Occasionally I would crawl out from under the sheets for a sandwich.

I've spent more time than I'm proud of just trying to "man up" and power my way through it, and have found out that that's just a terrible, terrible (gargantuanly atrocious) bad idea. That is a one way ticket to shutting down and becoming a miserable bastard, and none of those are particularly fun (known fact: miserable is the worst kind of bastard). It's because depression is a medical condition, and your brain isn't physically healthy. After all, you wouldn't treat a lung disease by just going "screw it, I'm gonna just try breathing better!" until your lungs get the message and stop hacking up bloody phlegm.

That's a big part of it, recognizing that you have a condition that is both medical and psychological in nature. Go to a doctor and get on medication if you need to (nothing to be ashamed of, you're treating an illness) and maybe seek counseling to help you understand what you're enduring and how to separate what's "real" from what's "just that silly, silly illness in my brain that makes me think doing my best Ian Curtis impression is a solid idea".

Other advice:

1. Exercise. I know, I know, it's incredibly difficult to find the energy to exercise when you don't have the energy to tell Netflix that, yes, you're still watching more Star Trek: The Next Generation re-runs. But being outdoors and getting in good physical shape have all been medically proven to help get your mind healthy as well.

2. Touching into a sense of spiritually, at least personally, has been a huge boon for me. I'm not saying you need to start going to church and getting a guilt trip every Sunday (in fact, that sounds like an TERRIBLE idea. So terrible it needed all caps. TERRIBLE), but if you find genuine comfort from some kind of religion or spirituality, just go with it. Sure, Odin probably doesn't exist given there's zero logical or scientific reason for it, but spending some nights walking around in the forest and pouring some beer on the ground in his name is legitimately part of the reason that, unlike Mr. Williams (tragically, very funny, talented man... especially when he wasn't trying), I haven't lost my battle yet.

So yeah, that's my long, rambling story... but stuff like this always touches me on a personal note. Depression sucks, and it will absolutely derail your life. The sooner you get help for it, the sooner you can avoid that derailment or, if you're like me, at the very least get it back on those rails.

Trains are cool, and I need to get caught up on Hell on Wheels.

Westerns are also cool.

He killed himself. I hate quitters.....

Shut up you idiot.

<snip>

I'm terribly sorry you've been going through this but boy was that a great write-up and some excellent advice!

Out of your three suggestions I assume most people - definitely me - would question whether spirituality actually helps, mostly because spirituality and religiosity are generally associated with feelings of guilt, shame and unworthiness (the latter being the consequence of the first two).

And as much as I don't personally like the facts, as a man of science, I have to agree with you and, most importantly, with the various studies that suggest spirituality and religiosity do indeed have a long-term protective effect against major depression. Which is, incidentally, what I love about science: that it's never shameful to say your perspective was wrong, when the facts support the opposite.

Btw, here's a study published in 2012 on the subject for anyone who might be interested. The study was conducted by Columbia University and although there are a few imperfections in its methodology - i.e. the sample is rather small and spirituality is not an easy thing to measure - it is a good study and a good read.

So yeah, that's my long, rambling story... but stuff like this always touches me on a personal note. Depression sucks, and it will absolutely derail your life. The sooner you get help for it, the sooner you can avoid that derailment or, if you're like me, at the very least get it back on those rails.

Trains are cool, and I need to get caught up on Hell on Wheels.

Westerns are also cool.

Depression does indeed suck. But you are living proof that things can and will get better if you are willing to accept the fact that you have an issue that needs to be dealt with. No one's saying it's going to be easy or that things are always going to be getting better and better but you have to at least try.

As for the idiotic comments, don't let them get to you. I'm sure you know by now that empathy is not as common as we'd like it to be.

Edited by TheNahash

I will miss this man.Robin William is the only celebrity I have shed a tear for upon hearing of his death. Robin Williams was there for me in my childhood when I was sad and needed to laugh. I watched Mork and Mindy on nick at night as a 6 year old and from there was a long time fan of Robin. This man brought laughter in my life when there was none. The strange thing is I didn't realize all of this until yesterday. There is a hole somewhere because he is gone. Goodbye Robin You are missed.

I will miss this man.Robin William is the only celebrity I have shed a tear for upon hearing of his death. Robin Williams was there for me in my childhood when I was sad and needed to laugh. I watched Mork and Mindy on nick at night as a 6 year old and from there was a long time fan of Robin. This man brought laughter in my life when there was none. The strange thing is I didn't realize all of this until yesterday. There is a hole somewhere because he is gone. Goodbye Robin You are missed.

I too have'd never shed a tear at all for any other Celebrity as i have for this Special Human-being.

If you listen closely, You Can Here his unique voice busting through out the galaxy.

Which is followed up by the laughter of Angels echoing off the Stars.

I wish for him and all of us. To Laugh In Peace....

I shed a tear when I had heard he died...it feels as if a little part of my childhood has died along side with him :( I too have suffered from severe depression in the past and I know what it is like. it is a horrible place and your feel as if all hope has gone. All I can advise is get help don't leave it, it took me a long time to get it sorted and I almost lost my job over it. It is not worth putting your health at risk for and happiness is worth so much more...

'Genie, you're free...' Farewell Robin I hope you have found peace