It's monday. Still no info about Guild Flagships

mortenpro

No, you missed the memo where it said it would be nice if they took 5 mins in their day just to write a single post on this rather hot topic. It would be kinda sad if it took the whole BW team a whole day to write one post.

You are naive if you think that any official communication from a large publicly-held company can be created and approved in five minutes. Have you never worked in a corporation? Have you never worked at all?

Edited by BuriDogshin

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The entirety of makeb was never put on the PTS either, and it came out fine.

Yeah that's why Makeb is getting bolster, reduced mob density a health regen bonus and 250% exp increase. It came out just fine. It is rather a laggy planet but that's probably because of the

earthquakes

But we'll see maybe that's just for the PTS.

Yeah that's why Makeb is getting bolster, reduced mob density a health regen bonus and 250% exp increase. It came out just fine. It is rather a laggy planet but that's probably because of the

earthquakes

Which was completely unnecessary. Lazy players are lazy.

earthquakes

But we'll see maybe that's just for the PTS.

It's getting those things now, aside from reduced density, because Makeb is about to go from being current content to 'old' content when the new expansion hits.

You are naive if you think that any official communication from a large publicly-held company can be created and approved in five minutes. Have you never worked in a corporation? Have you never worked at all?

I love how you "don't care" that she (he?) put you on ignore, but yet you continue to take pot shots at her. What a sad angry little person you must be.

Yeah that's why Makeb is getting bolster, reduced mob density a health regen bonus and 250% exp increase. It came out just fine.

It came out perfectly fine, just because random newbs wearing gear that wasn't made for their class can't complete it prior to bolster doesn't mean its a broken planet.

I love how you "don't care" that she (he?) put you on ignore, but yet you continue to [blah blah blah]

What part of "other people where always the intended audience anyway" do you not understand?

Of course I continue to do what I used to do - because I don't care about other people's ignore lists.

Do you care about mine?

Edited by BuriDogshin

I deal in multi-million dollar projects. Either as a glorified PM (Project Manager) for the military, or as a civilian at the Physical layer of the OSI model.

You had better d4mn well believe that I keep my peers, superiors and subordinates "in the loop" at ALL times. This includes the "customer" be it a Armored Brigade or a civilian company.

ANY change to the SoW (Statement of Work) or the briefed work schedule, for WHATEVER reason, is shot up the chain of command. It does not matter if it is supplies (Afghanistan was a beotch in that regard) or a missing mounting bracket for a server rack.

And you d4mn well better believe that if I was two weeks out from the completion of a 20 million dollar project, (one of my big kudos), and there was ANY hiccup, I'd be waking people up in Bagram to let them know.

I deal in multi-million dollar projects. Either as a glorified PM (Project Manager) for the military, or as a civilian at the Physical layer of the OSI model.

You had better d4mn well believe that I keep my peers, superiors and subordinates "in the loop" at ALL times. This includes the "customer" be it a Armored Brigade or a civilian company.

ANY change to the SoW (Statement of Work) or the briefed work schedule, for WHATEVER reason, is shot up the chain of command. It does not matter if it is supplies (Afghanistan was a beotch in that regard) or a missing mounting bracket for a server rack.

And you d4mn well better believe that if I was two weeks out from the completion of a 20 million dollar project, (one of my big kudos), and there was ANY hiccup, I'd be waking people up in Bagram to let them know.

Tell me when you get into the software industry mkay.

Please, tell us how it is different.

You're not disseminating that information to a public audience. Speaking to your client about changes in your schedule is like BioWare's art department getting notes from QA. Completely different scenario.

There are ways to say to the customer, "Project X has run into a delay. We apologize and ask that you bear with us. Expected release date is now H + 14 (days / weeks)"

Great. ESO can continue to hemorrhage players, Wildstar can be up and down. Wow can be WoW. I would "hope" that folks inside EA have done the analysis of a delayed product versus a shabby one.

Is that what you do? Please, tell us how it is different.

The software industry is notoriously close-lipped. Mostly its due to the fact the average customer doesn't even understand the very basics of programming, which means opening a dialogue between the development process and the customer is a exercise in wasting time.

There are ways to say to the customer, "Project X has run into a delay. We apologize and ask that you bear with us. Expected release date is now H + 14 (days / weeks)"

As if hunting down bugs in large complicated distributed multi-server software systems was that predictable. :rolleyes:

"I'll let you know when we figure out where the problem is coming from" is more the norm.

And even then, you often don't know until you find the source of the error how quick the fix will be. Sometimes you fix one typo in a line of code and it's done. Sometimes you wind up rearchitecting and recoding an entire module, a task that can involve weeks or more of effort and labyrinthine review and approval procedures. And heaven help your project if you have to alter the syntax or semantics of the module interface to implement the fix!

And after all that, you then need time to do regression analysis, hoping you didn't introduce a new bug.

Software is different, alright. "It will be done when it is done" is often the only honest prediction anyone can make.

Why do I feel like you are mistakenly taking what you do for a living and equating it to something not only completely different, but also something that you have no idea about?

I do appreciate the peanut gallery (with no mention of what they do), assuming that I have no experience, or cannot translate bringing a multi-million dollar communications project online with what they do.

However, since one of the many functions I had to oversee was the programming of servers and routers to not only work, but integrate with an existing network, I am not completely out of the loop on this. Again, if folks want to compare resumes, please, let's do so.

Software programming is not as nebulous as people want to make it out to be. Yes there are nuances, but progress can be made on a daily basis and "things" are tried and discarded. That's not the focus of my posts. And certainly any programmer who gave me a flippant "it'll be done when it gets done" would quickly be answering to my boss and his. It's not just the money (and Lord knows they were paid well), it's a matter of decisions have to be made and these decisions have impact across the theatre. (or in EA's case the bottom line)

What is my focus is the lack of communication. A simple, "hey, {project X} is looking good, we expect to have it on test server by 15 August" is all. Quite frankly I don't really care. My response(s) were to people acting like this whole thing is some cloak-and-dagger exercise when in reality we have info getting datamined.

I do appreciate the peanut gallery (with no mention of what they do), assuming that I have no experience, or cannot translate bringing a multi-million dollar communications project online with what they do.

However, since one of the many functions I had to oversee was the programming of servers and routers to not only work, but integrate with an existing network, I am not completely out of the loop on this. Again, if folks want to compare resumes, please, let's do so.

Software programming is not as nebulous as people want to make it out to be. Yes there are nuances, but progress can be made on a daily basis and "things" are tried and discarded. That's not the focus of my posts. And certainly any programmer who gave me a flippant "it'll be done when it gets done" would quickly be answering to my boss and his. It's not just the money (and Lord knows they were paid well), it's a matter of decisions have to be made and these decisions have impact across the theatre. (or in EA's case the bottom line)

What is my focus is the lack of communication. A simple, "hey, {project X} is looking good, we expect to have it on test server by 15 August" is all. Quite frankly I don't really care. My response(s) were to people acting like this whole thing is some cloak-and-dagger exercise when in reality we have info getting datamined.

No one cares what you do. Your experiences are not with the development of an MMO and are not really relevant to the discussion.

I actually really feel for you PVErs.

We gave up long ago on the PVP forums expecting any information, and when we did get it, the game finally lost any hopes for a long term future. See "no-gate" thread by Musco.

You people must get it into your heads, BW/EA do not give a monkeys chuff about communicating anything, as long as people continue to buy cartel packs.

If people are buying packs, spending money on the CM, we must all think everything is fine and dandy right ?

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

No one cares what you do. Your experiences are not with the development of an MMO and are not really relevant to the discussion.

In fact, as far as we can tell so far, he may never have written or debugged a line of code in his entire life.

He "oversees" and is "in the loop" of IT functions (router and server administration) that may not actually involve much coding at all other than writing comparatively-simple scripts. Hardly the same thing as an MMO.

MMOs are hard. They are real-time, distributed, multi-server, multi-client systems operating over a network with variable and unpredictable latency. The only thing you could do that would be much harder, I think, is do all that and have it operating on objects in the real world (e.g. distributed C3 of a battalion of robot tanks on a battlefield), rather than virtual one.