About SWTOR future...

Deewe

(edit) Seems the open world game will be based on Batman Arkham game play. In a way it's using the IP as foundation for the setting of the game but not based on any actual movie.

In short the new open world game isn't a MMO.

Clicky

--- ---

Dead Space developer Visceral is currently at work on a new Star Wars game (reportedly an open-world game) being written by former Uncharted writer Amy Hennig.
Source

EA and Disney have a brilliant plan for SWTOR. It will be upgraded to canon in the next expansion and will have some subtle tie-ins with Star Wars 7. **snip spoiler **. The first step, although it won’t be obvious how, to SWTOR’s ending has begun in Forged Alliances.

The storyline for SWTOR is going to end in about 3.5 years, and the sequel is already in development. These next 3 years are going to see an increase in funding as the game is brought back in line with initial expectations. There is a fun plan to let SWTOR run for as long as players want it to, with dynamic and scaling end-game content, but focus will shift to SWTOR 2

Source

Top that with the quite extensive job listing @Austin: clicky

And the $165M (not profit though) STWOR made in 2013: $$$

Edited by Deewe

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That second one not only doesn't seem plausible, but some of the way they report their information seems off.

They refer to swtor_miner's datamined info as though it were insider information and evidence that this other fellow is an insider.

I was one of the people who actually believed in that reddit topic and still do. It makes sense to me in many ways. Episode 7 is a huge deal and Disney/Lucasarts and EA knows that SWTOR will benefit from it immensely. So they are trying to get the game ready for it by introducing guild features, housing and other necessary features that are needed to keep new players playing. It is not the core content such as raids, but more 'fluff' in a way. Nonetheless it is proven time and time again that fluff content is important. It is what keeps people busy in between the raids and warzones. The core content is the most important part, but the fluff content needs to be fully realized and this past year has seen that come to fruition. GSF brings the space combat with depth, GSH brings the housing with depth and Guild Conquest will hopefully bring guilding with depth. Once all three are settled in then the core content will be produced to be the main meat of the game.

Episode 7 is the game changer and this game must be ready to not only capture that audience, whether it be through a sequel or boxed expansion(marketing purposes would be why a sequel would even be mentioned), but they must also retain said audience through solid core content and expansive fluff content.

Edit: By the way the article is total conjecture and nonsense. Nonetheless I believe the redditor's post simply because it makes sense to me. The story he posted was very Biowarelike.

Edited by Rasen

I was one of the people who actually believed in that reddit topic and still do. (...)

99% of the stuff in there is just laughable truth be told, starting with the notion that EA would heavily reinvest into yet ANOTHER(!!!) SW MMO after this one bombed at release.

If you actually believe in that, well... Just "WOW"...

The second one was made up from a 14 year old kid... Anyone who believes that is just as stupid.

I only wish that thread would utterly disappear but then again, I guess some skeletons are bound to return one way or another...

You gotta wonder what the OP inhaled in order too cook that up.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Isn't the first paragraph talking about the Star Wars console game that was leaked a long time ago? I would love a SWTOR 2 though!

Make it singleplayer and we have a deal! I still fail to understand what exceptionally important piece of tor would be lost if it were made a singleplayer. Guess none :p

Fun to dream but it'll only last till the BW Austin project that's not TOR (2) related gets announced. Then it'll be doom and gloom that the studio is moving on leaving the game behind in maintenance mode. Edited by aeterno

1. Most likely they are creating SW game to the new movie universe (not a direct movie game)

2. That's just made up story by some kid.

3. They are hiring people for the new expansion. In order to make it faster/keep it on deadline.

Since when are we not allowed to hope? You guys need to get some fresh air outside the forums. It is fun to speculate. All creativity seems to die here.

What that dude wrote on Reddit was not dreaming but more akin to trolling, if not utter and complete delusion.

Once upon a time there was another Star Wars game and people scoffed at the rumors of a new one in the making as well....

I don't know about all this stuff linked in the OP but there is that big announcement the Devs said they would make at the end of the year.

I don't know about all this stuff linked in the OP but there is that big announcement the Devs said they would make at the end of the year.

Yeah that would be the expansion that has been mentioned like a dozen times now.

That is not the first that I have read the tie-in rumor. I have been following Ep7 like a hound. I frequent the TF.NET forums and I am pretty sure that I have heard that rumor about the SWTOR/EP7 connection over there months ago.

As far as a ramp up to SWTOR, I FULLY welcome that. Let's hope that it is true.

Edit: Oh, the source is starwars7news. Those guys are a joke. Just a few days ago they posted information that their "sources confirmed"... It was info from publicly released photos. Seems like they took that old rumor now and are running it as their own. They are a bunch of phonies.

Edited by TheBBP

Thought for sure that the expansion was known when they said it and then ALSO was supposed to be an announcement at the end of the year.

the implication is that the announcement is the expansion. duh. If swtor is getting replaced they wouldn't even be talking about expansions.

You get trolled hard dude.

Edited by Zoom_VI

Make it singleplayer and we have a deal! I still fail to understand what exceptionally important piece of tor would be lost if it were made a singleplayer. Guess none :p

Yeah no. Learn to accept this is an MMO. Don't need a single player, the 1-50 experience is enough.

The second one just seems really unlikely. Its very expensive to develop a MMO from scratch, and MMO sequels have pretty universally not done nearly as well as the original game. That is a lot of money and effort to place into it with very little return. I wouldn't however be surprised to see some kind of tie in in some way with the movie, despite the time line issues. Of course a tie in could be as simple as using a "new" location that will appear in the movie.

Hopefully job listings at BioWare Austin are a good sign for SWTOR, but it could easily be another unrelated project.

While bringing the game (and the whole TOR era, some of the best written stories in there, IMO) into the new canon would be awesome, I will wait and see.

And if the rumor of increased development money was true, it would be great, and most certainly not mean that a sequel would be developed (there is not need for that in MMOs, unless you are skipping to different time period)

Edited by Aries_cz