POT5 pvp is a joke where's the party at?

SEANeD

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

where to next?

For US servers, I don't know if there is one server that is considered the "it" place to go to.

Most people seemed to have crawled back to their home servers, or gone to greener pastures (bigger pop servers) to enjoy what is left of a decent sized population. I left PoT5 months ago, and don't miss it at all, but for me it was the lack of a population. Currently sitting on Harbinger (West coast), but that works for me since I play West coast anyways.

Think at this point, PvP servers (the 2 that remain), will be dependent upon certain guilds who resub and get ranked going, so IMO it's not worth staying on and hoping for the best. For me, it's about server stability and being able to just queue up and get PvP quickly, which Harbinger delivers for the most part. Some good players, some bads, but at least it's alive no matter what time of day or night.

For US servers, I don't know if there is one server that is considered the "it" place to go to.

Most people seemed to have crawled back to their home servers, or gone to greener pastures (bigger pop servers) to enjoy what is left of a decent sized population. I left PoT5 months ago, and don't miss it at all, but for me it was the lack of a population. Currently sitting on Harbinger (West coast), but that works for me since I play West coast anyways.

Think at this point, PvP servers (the 2 that remain), will be dependent upon certain guilds who resub and get ranked going, so IMO it's not worth staying on and hoping for the best. For me, it's about server stability and being able to just queue up and get PvP quickly, which Harbinger delivers for the most part. Some good players, some bads, but at least it's alive no matter what time of day or night.

Do you get yolo and reg q's on both factions quicker than pot5? Thanks!

Harbinger:

Solo Yolo pops frequently during primetime, with the majority of them being Pubs, but you will see Imps on occasion. You will run into morons more often, who are not geared appropriately or don't know that taunts work in PvP, but for the most part it is what it is like anywhere else.

Group rankeds happen enough, and both factions tend to let each other know they're que'ing for it.

Edited by Pistols

Any east coast servers getting solo ranked pops with 4-5 teams queueing grouped on a good night?

I think that there are ~3-4 teams that queue on The Ebon Hawk Sean (hit or miss), Ogi is playing on Shadowlands so I'll talk to him and see if there is anything going on there.

Harb has decent pvp imo, population is solid and the skill level varies from game to game, lag can be annoying but it is easily playable if you are east coast.

I recently returned because I'm disenfranchised with Wildstar's competitive pvp and, if I am forced to go "casual," Swtor is my preferred option. I have attempted to convince Honor to return but Matchless, as a guild, is pretty much done for. I utilized my free transfer to move over to Harbinger. I'm from Los Angeles and was looking for an excuse to switch to west coast for a while. I'm also playing with a friend over here.

As for Rateds in this game? The fact that Operative/Scoundrel healers are still demi-gods doesn't help. So many more comps/teams would compete if Sorc/Merc could compare. I think the best chance this game's PvP has for any real revitalization is the Xpac planned for the end of the year. If done correctly, the level increase and story might draw people back. New class balancing could help to get the queues moving. Idk, as for me, I see no hope in Rateds atm and see little reason to form a team again. Things might change, idk. Solo queue still a joke, tbh. The necessity to hybrid and really poor matchmatching(due to low pop) hurts it a lot. As a Sorc I have the option of gimping myself as a Healer(against Operative/Scoundrels), playing a real dps spec(and kiting/praying my team does something), or going hybrid(which is about as fun as eating rocks.)

As for Harbinger, as a server, it's shocking to see that Republic is actually equivalent or superior to Imperials in warzones. I think it mostly goes back to my last point, Scoundrel Healers seem far more abundant than Operative healers here. Idk, queues are fast enough and a competitive Republic faction is something different.

Edited by Xeraz

I have been bouncing.

I have played a bit on JC recently and it refreshing to see a bunch of old players back over there. The matches seem to be pretty well balanced as far as factions go. I have not been able to check out the rated scene because I let these toons go. Have to get them geared out of respect for other players.

I have found myself playing the majority of the time though on harbinger. I am in the process of leveling pub toons over there but clan (guardian) is rolling in the 55 wzs. Solo pops but you have to catch the queues at right time. Does not seem to happen with any consistency. Overall though, I have really enjoyed playing on the server. There is very little drama and the talent is above average for either side.

I have not played on the bastion recently so can't say there.

It ironic....pvping more on pve servers. Lol.

I, Glory formerly of Matchless, recently returned because I'm disenfranchised with Wildstar's competitive pvp and, if I am forced to go "casual," Swtor is my preferred option. I have attempted to convince Honor to return but Matchless, as a guild, is pretty much done for. I utilized my free transfer to move over to Harbinger. I'm from Los Angeles and was looking for an excuse to switch to west coast for a while. I'm also playing with a friend over here.

As for Rateds in this game? The fact that Operative/Scoundrel healers are still demi-gods doesn't help. So many more comps/teams would compete if Sorc/Merc could compare. I think the best chance this game's PvP has for any real revitalization is the Xpac planned for the end of the year. If done correctly, the level increase and story might draw people back. New class balancing could help to get the queues moving. Idk, as for me, I see no hope in Rateds atm and see little reason to form a team again. Things might change, idk. Solo queue still a joke, tbh. The necessity to hybrid and really poor matchmatching(due to low pop) hurts it a lot. As a Sorc I have the option of gimping myself as a Healer(against Operative/Scoundrels), playing a real dps spec(and kiting/praying my team does something), or going hybrid(which is about as fun as eating rocks.)

As for Harbinger, as a server, it's shocking to see that Republic is actually equivalent or superior to Imperials in warzones. I think it mostly goes back to my last point, Scoundrel Healers seem far more abundant than Operative healers here. Idk, queues are fast enough and a competitive Republic faction is something different.

Meh, 99% of ops/scoundrels are free kills, patches 2.7 onward made dps complete faceroll, too bad most people still struggle to break 300k in a warzone.

Your chasing something that really doesn't exist in this game. You can transfer all you want the result will be the same regardless of where you go. It seems to me the harcore and the better than average casuals were happiest with rated 8 man on bastion and pot5 with an ambiguous rating system. They took that away and that was that. Soulcaster is probably right that this game can't support an elo system with the current population. Has anyone tried a game that was designed for true competition like dota2? I would be curious as to what their experience was like.

Your chasing something that really doesn't exist in this game. You can transfer all you want the result will be the same regardless of where you go. It seems to me the harcore and the better than average casuals were happiest with rated 8 man on bastion and pot5 with an ambiguous rating system. They took that away and that was that. Soulcaster is probably right that this game can't support an elo system with the current population. Has anyone tried a game that was designed for true competition like dota2? I would be curious as to what their experience was like.

Aside from the fact that dota2 and LoL communities makes the pot5 server look like saints? Meh....Then again I'm biased as I don't care for dota type games. I find them incredibly boring.

As for Rateds in this game? The fact that Operative/Scoundrel healers are still demi-gods doesn't help. So many more comps/teams would compete if Sorc/Merc could compare.

I'm suprised this cliché is still alive, are there no merc/mandos that are trying on the US servers? Someone should step up lol, OPs aren't anywhere near as BiS as they were. Slight advantage on the overall hps department sure but mandos have their niche that they fit in.

I'm suprised this cliché is still alive, are there no merc/mandos that are trying on the US servers? Someone should step up lol, OPs aren't anywhere near as BiS as they were. Slight advantage on the overall hps department sure but mandos have their niche that they fit in.

This beautiful man tells the truth.

Edited by TimeBeast

All it takes is two enemies taking turns interrupting Rapid Scan and Merc healing is almost completely neutralized. As long as this is the case, merc healing will always be joke healing. Operatives will always be the king of healing because they have 3 instant heals that can't be interrupted. When they get in trouble, they stealth away, forcing everyone to change targets.

All it takes is two enemies taking turns interrupting Rapid Scan and Merc healing is almost completely neutralized. As long as this is the case, merc healing will always be joke healing. Operatives will always be the king of healing because they have 3 instant heals that can't be interrupted. When they get in trouble, they stealth away, forcing everyone to change targets.

Sad that there isn't anyone on your server that can show you how off that perception is. We have tools around the weakness you mention and the better you work as a team the less an issue being interrupted is (assuming team ranked ofc, that's what the person I first quoted was talking about and that's what I'm talking about).

^ Not only is he 100% correct, but thanks for the shout out! :rak_03:

Seriously though, I love the leader boards. I like the challenge of solo rateds and backpacking bads, and I like team rateds when there is more than 4 teams queuing. Howver, I think ELO/E-peen and lead boards showing everyone how bad you're doing or how bad your team is, is hurting rateds in SWTOR. It doesn't have cross server nor a population to support competitive pvp. It doesn't have a system that promotes bad or mediocre teams to keep queuing to get better, because they won't be fighting the same team they can't beat over and over. Instead it is that way, and bad mediocre teams just keep running into a wall of the only other one or two teams queuing that they can't beat. That isn't how you learn and get better.

I could suggest a dozen different things to improve pvp in this game, but it all falls on deaf ears. The devs aren't interested in pvp. They will likely do a mass server merger again in December when the population continues to decline more and more each month though. So we could hope for that I guess.

Edited by SOULCASTER

Sad that there isn't anyone on your server that can show you how off that perception is. We have tools around the weakness you mention and the better you work as a team the less an issue being interrupted is (assuming team ranked ofc, that's what the person I first quoted was talking about and that's what I'm talking about).

That's not a perception, it's a reality. If you don't have Rapid Scan, the bottom falls out of your HPS. No one is going to be saved from focus fire by rapid shots, sorry. All of the team work in the world doesn't stop those assassins from interrupting you. It's PVP, not an episode of Captain Planet. :rolleyes:

I think merc/commando heals can have a place in a coordinated rated team. I used to not only run it myself, but also run with another that would do it while I tanked or DPSed. We had some success with it. But operative is far and away the easier to play and favorite for rated teams. Like the other guy said, commando has sever issues with interrupts. The devs can easily fix that, but I'm not going to side track this thread with what I would easily recommend.

Sage/Sorc healing is even more of an issue though than commando. Especially when the other team happens to have an electronet. It's GG. haha.

That's not a perception, it's a reality. If you don't have Rapid Scan, the bottom falls out of your HPS. No one is going to be saved from focus fire by rapid shots, sorry. All of the team work in the world doesn't stop those assassins from interrupting you. It's PVP, not an episode of Captain Planet. :rolleyes:

I'm not exactly talking theory aka out of my *** here, i have hundreds of games to back it up. The reality on my server is that mando heals is nothing to scoff at like you are doing atm. My point is that it is a perception/cliche that has gone on since forever and in my experience has never been true (even back when we didn't have tech override buff and unlimited trauma probes to help us cope with the allmighty interrupt).

And doing good hard swaps on that assasin and killing him will most deffinately stop him from interrupting you. Very few of my losses were solely because of low HPS, there's always something you can do to mitigate damage and/or make an annoying interrupter less annoying. Your issue if you don't believe me, I just strongly disagree with anyone saying that merc heal isn't viable when I've done it and have seen it done.

Ill tell you guys right now a good merc healer is way more dangerous than a operative healer. One that knows his class in and out will make a operative look like a sorc. Operatives are ahead by a little in healing but other departments like merc heal dps output is gonna be higher than an operative heal dps. Overall all around merc is better and when i get outhealed it aint by much maybe 2k to 10k but i also put out 30k-50k dmg at the sametime while an operative might do like 5k. Most people dont understand how good a merc can be in the right hands people love going with ez and what works.

Ill tell you guys right now a good merc healer is way more dangerous than a operative healer. One that knows his class in and out will make a operative look like a sorc. Operatives are ahead by a little in healing but other departments like merc heal dps output is gonna be higher than an operative heal dps. Overall all around merc is better and when i get outhealed it aint by much maybe 2k to 10k but i also put out 30k-50k dmg at the sametime while an operative might do like 5k. Most people dont understand how good a merc can be in the right hands people love going with ez and what works.

Marry me

Mercs can be good it's just that most people suck at them. Sorcs however are ****ed. You can say that mercs can be shut down by chain interrupting but the same could be said for ops. I've played whole team ranked games where we managed to chain interrupt the other teams healer to the point where only heals coming through were hots. The only set back of a merc is the lack of group stealth and cc. Every *********** game the operatives would group stealth their teams and try and find the other teams healer to flashbang them for the open. Whatever team pulled that off was at a slight advantage from the start. As far as healing output and efficiency go mercs are there with ops.