Auction needs changing. Badly.

Shaiar

To make the current system more user friendly; enable the filter textbox and leave it enabled ALWAYS. Change the tiny little filter button to a clear button which when clicked will clear the filter textbox (and make that the only way to clear it, not when you click on the search button like it is now). Change the search button logic to behave the way the filter button does, have it ignore the filter if it is empty, else have it search with the filter text. Lastly, like the op says, add an "All" option in the first criteria drop down list and only allow the search button to be clicked when there is filter criteria entered into the filter textbox. Then in the items pane, have it return items that match the filter criteria from an index table that also contains category and sub-category for each item. Once the user selects the item they wish to see from the items pane have that then auto populate the filter criteria drop down lists and perform the search as it is done today. That will allow users to get to the items they need without knowing the categories, and will allow BW to keep its optimized search functionality so that a horrendous query with 25 table joins isn't performed each and every time a user wants to search the entire items DB/table structure because they don't know which sub category to populate.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with pretty much everything, the GTN is a horribly user-unfriendly mess. A search field should be the first filter option you can use, not one the last. Searching by slot is a must. Searching by item-link is a must. I really don't get why it was released in this state, surely the beta people must've clamored about how clumsy it is.

The GTN is by far the worst UI in the game. It's horrible.

It's not like this is some arcane art-- all the UI design work has been done over the past 7 years by WoW addon authors. They've been iterating on this specific UI for that entire time, and they've got it down to a science. Just rip the best parts out of auctionator and auctioneer and bob's your uncle.

I'm glad I'm not the only one feels this way. After gathering tons of material, I headed to the GTN. Unfortunately I ended up posting only three items, because of how tedious, clunky, and painful it was to find out the going rate of a particular item.

Some suggestions or better yet necessities I might say?

-Enable the Search Filter at all times. It's the quickest way to search for an item.

-Choice of armor slots. Not a cumulative of everything. It's too much to sift through.

-Allow us to create a specified stack size. When I have 99 of something, I don't want to post a stack size of 99; I want to shrink it.

I know Bioware doesn't want to mimic WoW and I can understand that. However, when implementing a feature that is so common among MMO's, you have to move forward, not backwards.

As of right now, I'm stocking my supplies until the GTN gets a much needed work over, which I'm sure it will.

Come on Bioware!

I agree. The interface is horrible. The one good thing I will say is that there is no waiting for results once you hit SEARCH though.

It looks like there are two things that need to be fixed ASAP as far as categories: fabrics need to be moved from Diplomacy to Underwold Trading, and Researched Compounds from Scavenging to Investigation.

They should also eventually implement the ability to TAB through fields in the search query. Also, change the 'price' column to 'price per unit'... Or at least add a new column to that effect.

I think the stack splitting mechanism is pretty bad too. It would be fine if the text field was auto keyboard enabled upon making the split box appear. As it is, you have to click on it to make the cursor appear.

BW def has some work to do on this stuff.

Edited by Obi-GYN-Kinobi

Have you ever seen WoWs AH? It pretty great. ToR took quite a few things straight from WoW (which is what many successful games do; they borrow things that work from other games) , why not the AH functionality?

Exactly this. Being a new MMO doesn't excuse not using something better that is already out there. The GTN is horribly clunky and I avoid it if at all possible. I never sell on it and only buy as a last resort.

/signed

The game economy will be crappy if the GTN interface doesnt get improved. And i seriously hope they are not regional if they are that needs to be fixed in the first major patch which i expect to be within 3 weeks.

As odd as it might seem the GTN interface and a game economy that isn't terrible is a deal breaker for me and I won't be subbing if it is not fixed.

That would make sense. Because Nar Shaddaa has literally nothing for most types of items and 5 (melee) medium armor pieces from lvl22 to 26.

I have a pretty big issue with the 50 auction limit. I have 3 gathering/crew skills. I've never been much on crafting, I'd rather have the large flow of ingame cash. I hate that there's no efficient way (a la Auctioneer) to split and sell stacks. I have over 400 bondite alone, and nobody is going to buy full stacks of 99.

Another issue with the stacking is that mail attachments don't add themselves to current stacks in my bags. This is a moot point, I suppose, seeing as I have to split items to sell them, but c'est la vie.

I can overlook this for now, because of the rest of the game (except a good lfg system) is so farking sweet!

Please tell me you are joking. Please.

Sorry, as of the end of beta he's not kidding.

There was a bug with a searchable field causing the GTN server to crash. A partial solution has been to make all GTN terminals just for the planet they are on. So most people buy and sell at Fleet to reach the widest market.

yea, its pretty awful. the 2 day limit seems kind of short too and its really short when no one ever uses the dang thing. :( i get so many cool items for other classes that i end up selling off to a NPC because they just wont sell on the market. i have even sold stuff for SUPER cheap just to see if anyone was looking. never sold

The GTN needs so much work. Item by level seems functional, but that's about it.

"Useable By X" doesn't work.

Name search doesn't work, and not always even available.

Slot search needed.

No feedback - just no results - if search too broad.

Dark/Light criteria would be helpful.

And that's just the stuff I've tried.

Please fix the GTN, as it stands, I just vendor all my green and blue items that I can't use and can't reverse engineer.

Not only that, as an Armormech of the Empire, I can't sell items that I can make that are Rebel usage only.

Please fix the GTN by removing so many of the Required fields. Additionally, when I listed several Underworld Trading luxury fabrics, I could not even see my sales listed, what is the deal with that?

I can't even sell Rank 6 fabrics (even the epic ones) for base auction prices on my server (Prophecy Of The Five).

You KNOW there's something wrong with the system when you can't even sell endgame crafting mats for basement-bargain prices.

BTW, if you are a Synthweaver and reading this and are on my server (see above) I have somewhere n the neighborhood of 25 Denebrillan Star Silk and 60ish Nanosilk I'd like to sell. Send me a mail and we'll do business. :)

The required fields are atrocious. When I have to keep dragging down those categories, it stops me from wanting to browse. And if I need or I am curious about an item but I don't know where it goes by way of category, it is a chore to find it on the GTM.

Terrible setup, make those category fields optional.

/signed

- must have the shift-click ability (i mean you have it in chat so shouldn't be all that hard to implement in to the AH)

- must have an AUCTION not just "here's my price and it's not changing" (until it expires and i have to put the item back up)