The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Legacy Storage?

idnewton

Well this has now made me disappointed with strongholds update, which I was really looking forward to as I was not interested in the stronghold itself but just the legacy storage which for me is now just reduced to a materials storage bay for me.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easier to run the operations on already geared characters and mail them over. Oh, but, people don't like when you do that. :) Well, a small vocal minority on the forums anyways.

As opposed to the small vocal minority complaining that they need their big brother/sister to run an op to get them 186 gear because the 180 gear they can buy just won't cut it when they ding 55?

Well this has now made me disappointed with strongholds update, which I was really looking forward to as I was not interested in the stronghold itself but just the legacy storage which for me is now just reduced to a materials storage bay for me.

So you honestly expected something like "anti BoP" to be implemented, defeating the whole purpose of binding items on aquisition in the first place?

There is still so much stuff (i.e. all the unbound items, the experience boosts, companion gifts...) that can be stored very well inside a legacy storage! Soooo usefull.

As opposed to the small vocal minority complaining that they need their big brother/sister to run an op to get them 186 gear because the 180 gear they can buy just won't cut it when they ding 55?

Never seen that complaint.

So you honestly expected something like "anti BoP" to be implemented, defeating the whole purpose of binding items on aquisition in the first place?

It is the name "legacy storage" that got us to believe that we actually had some use for the new bankslots. This game allows many characters and they keep on pushing double exp weekends even entire weeks. Many of us have alot of characters. With this new information the new bankslots is nothing more then a substitute for mailing items to your alts the way we already can, it might save some time but it is not the feature I was looking for.

This game centers around the term legacy, legacy to me is to be able to share whatever the legacy provides to everyone within it. It is like a family where everything can be shared and resources can be used by everyone.

Edited by Icestar

Yes but perhaps "damn we should shoud fix this but people like thewitchdoctor might cry too much about it and I'm so over the whinging in this game, did Jedi or Sith ever really whinge so much? Is this the star wars universe or my little pony? Let's go make some CM items and please the people paying actual cash"

Um, slick, I am the one NOT crying.

Nice rant, though.

But I am mildly curious, if you can manage to answer in a proper sentence or two as opposed to your previous hyperbolic rant, what then do you think the proper use is for BoL and for what purpose Bioware designed BoL?

Edited by thewitchdoctor

There is still so much stuff (i.e. all the unbound items, the experience boosts, companion gifts...) that can be stored very well inside a legacy storage! Soooo usefull.

It just means I have to resort to needing on armour in flashpoints for companion gear I want, I am not going to run a flashpoint countless times hoping that a greed roll will get me what I want, by that time the flashpoint will probably be grey anyway, but a flashpoint you need to be 10 levels over to do.

Sorry if it's been touched on already, but at 33 pages.... I'm going to skip looking.

Does anyone know if there will be access points to this storage other than inside our private SH?

If we can't access this form of storage from other locations, it's going to get very irritating very quickly.

Does anyone know if there will be access points to this storage other than inside our private SH?

If we can't access this form of storage from other locations, it's going to get very irritating very quickly.

No, it appears you have to be in your SH to access LS. BUT, there will be numerous points to access your SH. Also, when you depart your SH you have the option, like when you depart a FP, to return to where you came from. (I.E., you don't only go to Fleet or the space port or some such).

It just means I have to resort to needing on armour in flashpoints for companion gear I want, I am not going to run a flashpoint countless times hoping that a greed roll will get me what I want, by that time the flashpoint will probably be grey anyway, but a flashpoint you need to be 10 levels over to do.

Why stop there, go further, rob a bank IRL to finance your CM purchases to sell for credits to buy crafted 34s for alts cos I mean you're not going to run operations countless times amirite.

BW is making you do these things.

BW give him what he wants, don't make him do this!

Edited by aeterno

I'm ok with the lack of ability to drop bound items in legacy storage personally. Now my only remaining question....

Will there be a legacy bank connected to storage that we can use to share credits across our characters?

Good to hear about the crafting materials.

Why stop there, go further, rob a bank IRL to finance your CM purchases to sell for credits to buy crafted 34s for alts cos I mean you're not going to run operations countless times amirite.

BW is making you do these things.

BW give him what he wants, don't make him do this!

:o

No but chances are that I am going to really annoy quite a few people in flashpoints by needing unnecessarily on stuff where I would be perfectly content to run solo with my level 52 commando in order to get these without annoying other people in the game, I am actually trying to be nice to people.

:o

No but chances are that I am going to really annoy quite a few people in flashpoints by needing unnecessarily on stuff where I would be perfectly content to run solo with my level 52 commando in order to get these without annoying other people in the game, I am actually trying to be nice to people.

I'm confused.

The omission of a feature you presumed would be in 2.9, which doesn't change at all the present status quo on how you gear your main or alts, is going to change your behaviour in-game? How?

Um, slick, I am the one NOT crying.

Nice rant, though.

But I am mildly curious, if you can manage to answer in a proper sentence or two as opposed to your previous hyperbolic rant, what then do you think the proper use is for BoL and for what purpose Bioware designed BoL?

Oh right, this is the bit where you try to sound/type intelligently to belittle someone elses argument without actually bringing anything to the forefront to do so right? Nevermind the nonsense you posted that I happily quoted and presented my own counter points to which for some reason you've failed to do so here? I guess you MUST be right. ;)

As to your question on what I personally think ... I think you were probably reasonably close with your seemingly sarcastic response of them doing it more so for the ability to share the shells themselves via the legacy since those are after all the items that are ... bound to legacy? Otherwise why not make the items you seem to think they wanted us to use between our legacy characters ( but for some rather odd reason decided to keep as BOP or BOE which we should just call them bound for future reference since that's what BoL does - let's us share bound items regardless of how it got bound ) BoL also? Perhaps you can answer this point this time rather than trying your hand at "wit".

BUT, there will be numerous points to access your SH.

Can't quite find where I read it or if it was official or not now ( seem to remember it was ) but I'm sure they said it would act like fleet/ship transport and you can instantly transport to SH from anywhere as opposed to finding set points to travel from.

Oh right, this is the bit where you try to sound/type intelligently to belittle someone elses argument without actually bringing anything to the forefront to do so right? Nevermind the nonsense you posted that I happily quoted and presented my own counter points to which for some reason you've failed to do so here? I guess you MUST be right. ;)

I'll be honest, I tried to read your 'counter points,' but it honeslty just came off as a rant. Was I crying about a pony? I couldn't tell.

As to your question on what I personally think ... I think you were probably reasonably close with your seemingly sarcastic response of them doing it more so for the ability to share the shells themselves via the legacy since those are after all the items that are ... bound to legacy? Otherwise why not make the items you seem to think they wanted us to use between our legacy characters ( but for some rather odd reason decided to keep as BOP or BOE which we should just call them bound for future reference since that's what BoL does - let's us share bound items regardless of how it got bound ) BoL also? Perhaps you can answer this point this time rather than trying your hand at "wit".

Well, here we go trying to communicate. I'll forego my wit (if you dispense with the ranting) and try to answer plainly.

The BoL items are shells. They are empty shells whose purpose is to allow us to transfer the hilts, barrels, armours, mods and enhancements from other wise bound gear, regardless of how acquired, from one toon to another. They have not made that bound gear itself BoL because they want the acquisition of the BoL gear to be its own sink of time, rep, and/or credits.

As I stated at the start of this:

EDIT: Considering they named it BIND ON LEGACY, they themselves must have foreseen that it would result in hilts, barrels, armours, mods, and enhancements being shared across a player's LEGACY. I.e., alts. So I am pretty sure it is working as intended.

So, again, what you are claiming is breaking the endgame and a loophole, seems to me, to be exactly what was intended.

Clear? So, now, try again please. How then should BoL work and what did Bioware intend by BoL as it is in game if I am wrong?

Edited to add quote.

Edited by thewitchdoctor

The BoL items are shells. They are empty shells whose purpose is to allow us to transfer the hilts, barrels, armours, mods and enhancements from other wise bound gear, regardless of how acquired, from one toon to another. They have not made that bound gear itself BoL because they want the acquisition of the BoL gear to be its own sink of time, rep, and/or credits.

So you revert to my point on the developers being some what cruel in their choice of how they implement said time/credit sink? As I stated with my alternative concept of how one could implement said time/credit sink the only reason they would do it the way you suggest ( "as intended" ) must be by design is to, for lack of a more polite word, mess with you?

There is the other option in that they are just stupid and can't think of any better way yet I did in all of under 60 seconds .. well it seems more logical to me anyway.

Looking at the game on awhole and the design and for example some mechanics in operations I seriouslly doubt the later is the case.

So I put it to you ... why would they choose this particular current method of bypassing the bound items their method of choice over so many other options? What is more likely here? They did it in error and couldn't be assed fixing it as people quite liked the option and they couldn't be bothered with the whinging and outrage if they fixed it or your option and it was all some great conspiracy and all by design?

Surely you don't seriouslly believe that right and are surely just pushing the point just for the hope of saving face on some star wars forums and/or you possibly just enjoy arguing? In your shoes I would rather admit to the later than the former.

As I said the shell is BoL and as we know they do love their cosmetic gear here at BW ( the whole CM basically ) so all your other little pieces don't actually have to be sent from your alts believe it or not? Believe it or not your toon can buy those him/herself with comms/creds or ripping out of existing gear/dropped gear. You seem to be implying the only way the devs thought we would fill our BoL gear is with the mods we rip from our mains gear and that seems far more of a stretch than "they will buy it with comms or creds from GTN".

That's funny... Unless you're actually serious.

Yet that's almost more logical than allowing bound items between legacy that most people are whinging about :p

Removing mods is a credit sink? lmao since when? The amount of credits I spend removing mods could be used for toilet paper.

I agree ,I'm all ways moving bop mods around with Legacy gear .

its nothing to me ether .

at least we can still do it by all the post and what I've read here .

I hope

The DEV are not to clear, that I can see if legacy gear is still as use full .

I'll use the storage but was so hoping i could put some relic tokens in there for my Artifice to RE, i have no use for on one of my 55.

Till they fix it ,I can wait .

By the way they talked they couldn't do it right now because of some issues .

Edited by tanktest

That's funny... Unless you're actually serious.

It's not that crazy a concept. Go look at Guild Wars 2, all your cash, tokens, whatever are all dropped into your account wallet and are available for any alt to spend.

Sometimes I wish the gameplay in GW2 was better, their QoL features totally kick SWTORs backside. :(

Can I place BoP items in my Legacy storage?

As of Game Update 2.9, you cannot place or "transfer" BoP items through your Legacy storage. I will say that this issue is something that we will continue to discuss internally and could potentially change in the future.

But referring to the quote above, that's fine for BoP, but what about BoE items that have become bound? Because those are two different binding types. Will we be able to place those into Legacy storage?

First of all, I admit that the majority of my law education came from MtG (destroy each vs. destroy all, anyone?), but here's a thing that afaik nobody in this thread noticed:

BoP items will not be trasferable through legacy bank. What exactly are BoP items? Most of the FP drops, all equippable ops gear, quest rewards, equippable commendation gear, and all token gear. So these would be out.

Now think about this - no equippable cartel market gear is BoP, it all is BoE. The argument that it is about not circumventing unlock cost is therefore invalid. If this gets changed to exclude CM gear as well, they would be pushing people from using the armor look they want to legacy armor for sheer convenience. And I bet more coins are spent on buying the actual gear than for collection unlocks (you need what, three good packs to get a set? That's 900+ coins vs 600 for expensive unlocks).

More importantly, implants, earpieces, and relics are BoP, so they would not be transferable either. BUT - crafted implants, earpieces, and relics, at least the new endgame ones, are all BoE. If the BoP versions gets excluded, i.e. if they exclude the stuff people actually worked for, but allow the stuff people paid credits for, the crafted stuff will suddenly hold more value. On an unrelated note, there are a lot of gold spammers in the game already...hintedy hint hint.

Better question would be, what are they trying to achieve with the legacy bank? Admittedly, I hoped for the ability to use my jugg tanking set on my guardian, or the sets I already assembled on cross faction mirror alts in general. I consider that a fair game, as it (with the exclusion of relics, you would only need one dps and one tanking pair) requires a person to have two mirrors at same level to be viable, and I imagine a few people don't fancy leveling a mirror alt because they would have to assemble the same set they already have.

I belive excluding collections gear that is not unlocked yet and allowing every other equippable (i.e. not quest rewards like GSF requisition grants) in would be agreeable to all interested parties - it would keep the CM stuff intact and would reward work and time people already put into the game.

Here, Menace, since you keep missing the point:

In your own words, what do you believe is the intent behind Bind on Legacy modable gear?

To share gear between toons ( when I say gear i do mean mods armoring etc sense you need it to gear, it is gear ) . and gear them up with gear that you would not others wise use or have a use for on a toon that can not use it .

And when they put it in the game they stated that was one use for it .

Edited by tanktest