Why bother with pets? let alone a grand pet pack.

I am just curious why we should bother with pets at all let alone buy the new pack for the 1 pet drop. I myself got 1 or 2 pets I liked but what reason is there to go farther than that and actually collect them? I know most cartel stuff is pure vanity but I find myself collecting things like armor,weapons, and color crystals to give to my characters and their companions for rpgs reason. I never bring my pet out and don't really see people with their pets out on the fleet ether. It just seems to me like pets would have to perform some function outside of pure vanity to even make them worth getting. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have more pets then i care to admit and I love collecting them.

I know many people who are in the same boat.

Them doing it makes sense to me.

I have also many many pets (and with upcoming stronghold I might build own to show of my status as pet lady). But since I have so many already, I wouldn't buy pet packs, but rather buy the pets from the GTN which I might have missed (it is maybe the most often category on the GTN that I check to see if there is anything I need). Worse, with the special pets that were only available for american retail stores, I am not that eager any more to get every pet, since that is no longer possible. BioWare just doesn't know how to treat collectors.

Slight tangent, but in my opinion the big problem with pets is that they don't stay summoned. I haven't tested it recently but I remember every time I would zone or die I would have to resummon the pet manually. It should be like sprint or any of the stances/charges, once you click it it's always on.

It's one thing I noticed very quickly while playing ESO was that my pets never desummoned. Except for a couple issues right at launch they never went away no matter how many times I died, zoned, or logged in/out.

Slight tangent, but in my opinion the big problem with pets is that they don't stay summoned. I haven't tested it recently but I remember every time I would zone or die I would have to resummon the pet manually. It should be like sprint or any of the stances/charges, once you click it it's always on.

It once was that way, I think it got changed when BioWare removed pets from Warzones, that made them despawn basically with every instance change.

I have no idea what the pets are for. I have two handed down to me by Bio and I would trade them both for one decent companion customization for Doc. If I could.

Vanity items...

Just like all the mounts, Companion Customization, Mounts, and all the other things added to the CM.

They sere little or no real purpose.

But people want it and I see plenty of people with pets.

They are also doing a series of these things (we already had an armor and an emote one) so pets makes sense.

It once was that way, I think it got changed when BioWare removed pets from Warzones, that made them despawn basically with every instance change.

I wish we could have pets in WZs. But, alas, I'm afraid the entire game would implode. :(

It's one thing I noticed very quickly while playing ESO was that my pets never desummoned. Except for a couple issues right at launch they never went away no matter how many times I died, zoned, or logged in/out.

yea I think that was a problem for me as well.

I do have a Celestrial Dragon in wow which I never see cause I never play

I got that red monkey for being in ESO beta

and got some arctic pet for buy CCs online at bestbuy one day when the main site was down.

I feel like pets got way more popular in wow when they introduced the pet battle and I don't really wont the same thing in swtor but it would be cool if they could do something else like find items or something.

I seem to remember it being an issue pretty much since launch. But you could be right, I do remember them removing pets from warzones, so it might be as you say. I think it had something to do with stealthed people could be seen by their pets or something.

The pet system is a horrible mess, just like the moods and emotes.

Needing to respawn a pet when you log in or zone is the reason you dont see them. Pets should disappear during combat. They should never permenantly despawn. And when you activate a new pet it shouldnt replace your existing one.

Unless you've never played a MMO game before, then you're well aware that cosmetic and vanity items have a big appeal to many, many MMO players. Every single aspect of the game isn't going to appeal to every single player.

I seem to remember it being an issue pretty much since launch. But you could be right, I do remember them removing pets from warzones, so it might be as you say. I think it had something to do with stealthed people could be seen by their pets or something.

I know it was for a long time no issue... and now when I thinking about it, it was also not directly an issue when they removed them from warzones, since I remember matches in which I didn't died had my pet be still around when I returned to the fleet or whereever I was before. I know some pets cuased my character to kneel when I logged into the game, maybe they tried to fix that what caused the despawning with ever instance change.

I am not to sure, when that change happen or why, but I can say for sure, that I didn't had always to resummon my pets with change of instance. Oh, and I am also around since launch (or should I say early access) and used my CE pet from the start, thus having always used pets in SWTOR. And yes, I usually even resummon my pets between Warzones.

I felt the same way about WoW pets until they introduced the pet battle minigame.

I'd be much more inclined to collect SWTOR pets if there was something interesting to do with them. It wouldn't have to be a rip off of WoW pet battles...just something to give them meaning and purpose.

I collect pets and I was initially excited when this came out. I have been looking forward to it since the emote one. However, if I am remembering right, the emote pack was only 150cc instead of 250cc. Then I also realized that I have nearly every pet from the pack runs that are included. Most of what I still need are from the first run and cost a pretty penny :(

I bought a couple to support the idea of the Grand Acquisition Packs. I bought more of the emote one because they were cheaper and I had fewer of the emotes I might get. I did get a couple of moods I lacked, so I was pleased. I hope they do regen toys and color crystals eventually since I'm severely lacking in both of those areas ;)

I am a big pet collector (currently at 177/181 pets), but I also know that there are not many pet collectors left. Most of them stopped collecting around 2.0, when the number of pets exploded due to the monthly Cartel Market packs, and since they were so many exlusive pets that were very difficult to acquire (like the pets from EA F2P games and the 2,400 CC in retail stores), a lot of collectors got frustrated and stopped playing SWTOR. Obviously, those players that stopped collecting at some point have no chance to ever catch up again, so should they ever return to the game, they probably won't start collecting again.

The bug you talk about where the pets constantly disappear was introduced with patch 2.1, and it is the main reason why I don't have my pets out. Sometimes I remember to bring them back out, but they are removed so often that I have long ago given up on always getting them out again.

Nevertheless, I still collect the pets, even when I need to go through tons of hoops to obtain them. However, I am not buying one of the First Grand Pet Packs; I already have all of the pets from it. I can see that they want to offer players a chance to get one of the older items, but the price is just too high for this pack.

Now, if they had a pack like "Get a random of five new pets exclusive for this pack", I would totally buy the pack until I had all five, but there's no need to buy a pack where I already have all pets from it.

Edited by Jerba

The issue I believe was that you can click pets to target them. In the middle of battle, this can turn into a bad thing.

One secret of OWPvP is to have 2 pets out. People may misclick and click one of your pets to attack instead of you.

The issue I believe was that you can click pets to target them. In the middle of battle, this can turn into a bad thing.

One secret of OWPvP is to have 2 pets out. People may misclick and click one of your pets to attack instead of you.

Is it even possible to have two pets out?

Is it even possible to have two pets out?

1 Ground Pet and 1 Floating Pet.

I constantly have the Grey Secant pet out on all my characters. If they have a ground pet, like the droid from CZ-198 or the Gree event, I can summon them too.

1 Ground Pet and 1 Floating Pet.

I constantly have the Grey Secant pet out on all my characters. If they have a ground pet, like the droid from CZ-198 or the Gree event, I can summon them too.

I did not know this. You learn something new everyday; Thanks. :D

I never really saw a point to the pets other then just decoration hence why I don't bother collecting them. However, If they were useful in some way like auto looters and/or offering you a stat increase for having it out I might reconsider.