If you could only ready 3 ships, which 3 would you choose?

Nemarus

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Starguard, Pike, Clarion

-or-

Starguard, Quarrel, Warcarrier

Depending how it works out (dead serious for the first layout, no joke)

There's no way that's optimal. Why would you say that? How is a Pike different enough than a Starguard to warrant inclusion? Clearly, you should have a scout, gunship, or bomber for at least two of those spots.

It's stuff like this that means strikes can't have nice things. Starguard, Pike, Clarion indeed. Humph.

How is a Pike different enough than a Starguard to warrant inclusion?

It's stuff like this that means strikes can't have nice things. Starguard, Pike, Clarion indeed. Humph.

If you spend enough time flying strikes to actually know what you're doing, the difference is potentially huge.

"How is it different enough," indeed. I'll see your, "humph," and raise you a, "bah, humbug."

If we're talking ordered prioritized lists of ships for different numbers of hangar slots.

I think I'd probably go with:

Clarion                                                        team support
Starguard, Clarion                                       build versatility, team support
Pike, Clarion, Starguard                              offensive power, team support, build versatility

Though in a Domination scenario where I want to get requisition and my team is getting utterly crushed there's nothing quite like a Novadive for zooming around and popping turrets. It's almost as fun as having a needle and a room full of balloons.

Edited by Ramalina

:rak_02:

There's no way that's optimal. Why would you say that? How is a Pike different enough than a Starguard to warrant inclusion? Clearly, you should have a scout, gunship, or bomber for at least two of those spots.

The thing is, that whatever the ship I use, the result is roughly similar, with the difference, I am countered more easily in Scouts, Gunship and Bombers. Ultimately when the enemy team force me to get serious, my answer will be "Strike".

I know it seems odd, and that I am very particular (I know nobody else on my server who'll hop on a strike when cornered), but going for a full Strike hangar would probably be the best -for me-.

Other ships are considered, but only if I really can't make it work, with Quarrel in place of Pike, or if really needed Warcarrier instead of Clarion (I doubt I would need to swap this one)... But Starguard, no way I go without it. That's my style, my signature, how I say my enemies "you pissed me now"

Edited by Altheran

Well, I only bring 3 ships to fight anyways :)

Clarion for serious fighting.

Spearpoint for not serious fighting.

Comet Breaker for when I eat or make phonecalls with other hand.

But yeah limiting the choice to 3 would not be good. 90% of people would come with cattlescout, I/S gunship and bomber just to be ready for "competitive" battles, but when chill battles happen they wouldn't have any chill ship to use.

Edit:

11 of 12 ships are mentioned here. One missing, which probably? :D
Comet brrrreeeaaaaker

Hey, what's your problem? :D

Edited by Slivovidze

1 ship => Comet Breaker (Double torpedoes)

2 ships => Comet Breaker (Double torpedoes), Pike (Protorp/conc)

3 ships => Comet Breaker (Double torpedoes), Pike (Protorp/conc), StarGuard (Protorp, HLC/quad)

4 ships => Comet Breaker (Double torpedoes), Pike (Protorp/conc), StarGuard (Protorp, HLC/quad), Clarion (Thermite)

5 ships => Comet Breaker (Double torpedoes), Pike (Protorp/conc), StarGuard (Protorp, HLC/quad), Clarion (Thermite), Spearpoint (Thermite)

Heavy Torpedoes FTW

:rak_03:

Trolling aside, I would use ship I wanna use. Not optimal ship.

Just check my toons hangar.

Leelu => Sportscar Nova.

Aa'ri => StarGuard/Enforcer

Gûn'ner => Rempart/Firehauler

Suz'aku => Quarrel/Redeemer

Scrà'per => Sportscar Nova

lol. you're selling a highly capable ship very short with that attitude.

I'm not a good pilot.

I did not by any means want to imply that I think that Spearpoint is a bad ship. I like to fly it, but I am not so good under pressure, so when I know that I will likely have 2 or more enemies on tail for the whole game, I tend to take Clarion instead because that ship can survive that kind of pressure. Spearpoint does rampage when I get some space, but it is too easy for me to get shut down by a gunship.

yes I was going to say exactly this

Since I'm no longer sure. "Had to" the Jurgoran fly to mastering it. Fly it as a normal sniper and do not go voluntarily into the melee. If a Scout attacks me, I defend myself. Mostly with success. Had a few games with 0 deaths own. K/D ratio is better than the Mangler.

Setting: Burst Laser, Slug, Interdiction, feedback Shield, Retro, Wingman.

It is possible that for purely defensive cluster and "normal" laser even better. Do I still have to test.

Key here is the feedback Shield. Fits good, I like anyway no RNG.

Since I'm no longer sure. "Had to" the Jurgoran fly to mastering it. Fly it as a normal sniper and do not go voluntarily into the melee. If a Scout attacks me, I defend myself. Mostly with success. Had a few games with 0 deaths own. K/D ratio is better than the Mangler.

Setting: Burst Laser, Slug, Interdiction, feedback Shield, Retro, Wingman.

It is possible that for purely defensive cluster and "normal" laser even better. Do I still have to test.

Up to here I was all set to give you a serious reply about how the baby gunship is a great ship but isn't powerful enough offensively to merit losing the Quarrel...

Key here is the feedback Shield. Fits good, I like anyway no RNG.

... and then I realized your opinion is irrelevant.

Feedback shield, post buff, is actually not a trash component. I think it would be silly to take it over distortion on the type 3, but that ship CAN be played as a "mix it up in melee" sort (though not really optimal).

Kuci, I would say this: I argue that Feedback is a solid choice over directional, and can be a big part of playing a type 2 gunship- I would even argue that it is optimal on type 2, as directional doesn't stop the shocking damage you can get from enemy rails, but feedback can actually kill a scout making a run on you, and a very good scout will actually be forced to peel if you got his shield down enough.

But of course, the type 2 is not that impressive of a ship- the few scenarios it beats the type 1 in are hard to predict before launch and very much going to outnumbered by the times you would prefer burst over heavy, disto over anything, and ion over thermite, proton, or plasma. Oh, and generally armor over capacitor. So you could just argue that it's a subpar ship period, but I think that's... a bit aggressive.

While I agree with you and drako- boy bomber, type 1 gunship, type 2 scout- Stasie does make a good point that the boy bomber doesn't offer the force multiplier it used to. It's only good at area denial and hyper beacon, and the first of those is weaker. A ship that offers heals or buffs could be a part of this load out even in a solo queue. I still feel that the listed set is optimal, of course, and I still feel that this doesn't make you want to fill up with strikes. I mean, we got a guy in this thread saying he'd put all three strikes on his bar, so I think that some players have a different conception of the meta.

Feedback shield, post buff, is actually not a trash component. I think it would be silly to take it over distortion on the type 3, but that ship CAN be played as a "mix it up in melee" sort (though not really optimal).

Trash is relative to the available options. Distortion field is very clearly the optimal shield component, and the context here is high-op - you only get three slots on your bar.

Kuci, I would say this: I argue that Feedback is a solid choice over directional, and can be a big part of playing a type 2 gunship- I would even argue that it is optimal on type 2, as directional doesn't stop the shocking damage you can get from enemy rails, but feedback can actually kill a scout making a run on you, and a very good scout will actually be forced to peel if you got his shield down enough.

But of course, the type 2 is not that impressive of a ship- the few scenarios it beats the type 1 in are hard to predict before launch and very much going to outnumbered by the times you would prefer burst over heavy, disto over anything, and ion over thermite, proton, or plasma. Oh, and generally armor over capacitor. So you could just argue that it's a subpar ship period, but I think that's... a bit aggressive.

Well I'm happy to get that aggressive. The type 2 was garbage when it came out and continues to be so. There would be no good reason to keep it on your bar even if you had infinite spots.

While I agree with you and drako- boy bomber, type 1 gunship, type 2 scout- Stasie does make a good point that the boy bomber doesn't offer the force multiplier it used to. It's only good at area denial and hyper beacon, and the first of those is weaker. A ship that offers heals or buffs could be a part of this load out even in a solo queue. I still feel that the listed set is optimal, of course, and I still feel that this doesn't make you want to fill up with strikes. I mean, we got a guy in this thread saying he'd put all three strikes on his bar, so I think that some players have a different conception of the meta.

Sure, I would want some fraction of my teammates to be running X, Y, Clarion, and a smaller proportion X, Y, Spearpoint (where X and Y are probably Quarrel and Flashfire but might include Rampart). I think Clarion healing is pretty strongly superior to Warcarrier healing, but with limited ship choice I could see a space for a Warcarrier if you want to have a bomber option AND a heal option AND don't want to give up either of Quarrel or Flashfire.

I would not be all that pleased to see allies with baby gunships or baby bombers, which are both great generalists but punch below their weight in their respective strengths.

Edited by Kuciwalker

Kuci, you should consider that some people like to take fun into account when choosing their ships. I, for example, would never take FotM ships just to have easier position. Flashfire, Quarrel and Rampart, while strong for sure, are too boring for me, so they got replaced by Spearpoint, Comet Breaker and Clarion, respectively. While my killcount got lower, I bring another variables to the field, possibly making the experience more enjoyable for everyone.

Fun > victory, in my tabs. And if one is a good pilot, they wouldn't save a crushing defeat just by taking a Flashfire over Spearpoint.

Kuci, you should consider that some people like to take fun into account when choosing their ships. I, for example, would never take FotM ships just to have easier position. Flashfire, Quarrel and Rampart, while strong for sure, are too boring for me, so they got replaced by Spearpoint, Comet Breaker and Clarion, respectively. While my killcount got lower, I bring another variables to the field, possibly making the experience more enjoyable for everyone.

Fun > victory, in my tabs. And if one is a good pilot, they wouldn't save a crushing defeat just by taking a Flashfire over Spearpoint.

I predict Kuciwalker's response.

Edited by Nemarus

Is a ship really FOTM if it's been top-tier since the launch of the game and has been nerfed in multiple patches with no corresponding buffs?

Well, considering the frequency with which BioWare does balance patches for ground or GSF, I think FOTY is a better term to use when discussing SWTOR classes.

Though it is impressive how resilient the Battlescout has been.

Well, considering the frequency with which BioWare does balance patches for ground or GSF, I think FOTY is a better term to use when discussing SWTOR classes.

Though it is impressive how resilient the Battlescout has been.

wait which nerfs to battle scout are we talking about, as far as I have been able to tell every "nerf" to battle scouts hit other ships harder.

Nerf to DF, hit GS just as hard. Engine Maneuver Nerf in the Meta ended up being a Buff to scouts who's more efficient engines were massively more meaningful a slight nerf to GS as their ability to escape became severely hampered and I would argue a huge nerf to strikes as both their ability to chase and their ability to escape went into the ground.

Scouts had 1 nerf and one NET buff. Yes it was a "nerf" but it was a nerf that made it so much better then it already was at doing its intended job as a knife fighter because everyone else suffered that same nerf and everyone else was leaning on it so much harder.

Is a ship really FOTM if it's been top-tier since the launch of the game and has been nerfed in multiple patches with no corresponding buffs?

Well that's what would be called OP. But since the the edge they give is not huge enough to justify that, they are just, FotM, or, BiS. Or, as Nem said, FotY. :)

Scouts had 1 nerf and one NET buff. Yes it was a "nerf" but it was a nerf that made it so much better then it already was at doing its intended job as a knife fighter because everyone else suffered that same nerf and everyone else was leaning on it so much harder.

I can't ever forget that "nerf" several months back, that was supposed to fix armor piercing weapons, iirc, but it ended up halving Pods damage and that was pretty much it, in the meta. So the only ones who felt it were NovaDive pilots, while Sluggers and BLCers still happily thrashed as before. :D

Edited by Slivovidze