LF NiM Raptus Healing Challenge Advice

Tonight my guild tried NiM Raptus for the first time. While we didn't fail the healing challenge every time, it was pretty darn close. :-/ I was wondering if anyone has some advice for what I should be doing or changes I can make.

I play a scoundrel, and my co healer is a sage. As we enter the challenge I pop my adrenal, click power relic, and pugnacity. Once we enter I cleanse the sage, and then pop dodge. At this time my cohealer cleanses the captive and uses an instant cast salvation.

We got quite a few pulls in, and I tried different combinations of just UWM and EMP; UWM, EMP and KP; as well as throwing in koto cloud (which seemed to work the best).

Admittedly I never tried applying SRMP. It seemed like it would take too much time with the lost gcd due to the cleanse, though I remember it helping those first few tries in HM.

Any Scoundrels or Operatives out there able to offer some advice?

First of all, your Sage co-healer would save some time by casting Salvation at 2 stacks of Resplendence, as the cast time will be less than a global cooldown.

That said, two stacks of SRMP should be superior to UWM as long as the target lives for at least ~15s. Similarly, both KC and KP are significantly stronger than UWM if the target lives for 9s. In terms of HPCT (healing per cast time), EMP is the worst heal you have bar Diagnostic Scan.

I haven't personally needed to play my healer on this fight in NiM, but on HM I used to do:

Pugnacity > (Triage adrenal) > SRMP > SRMP > KC > KP > spam UWM until energy is at 30-40 > Cool Head > resume spamming UWM, start throwing EMP in if UWM would put you below 60 energy.

1. Make sure you enter the room first.

2. Zoom your camera 100% in (so that you can click the NPC immediatly)

3. Get the NPC as target

4. Cleanse it and at the same time hard-cleanse yourself

5. Have your sage cleanse him/herself.

Then -->

Scoundrel/OP

1. At least click your relic before you enter the instance. Right before.

2. Use adrenaline boost for alacrity + stacks

3. Drop your aoe heal on the NPC

4. Spam your biggest heal (use energy recharge if you need to)).

Sage/sorc

1. Relic before entering, adrenaline.. i'd pop it the moment I enter also (outside).

2. Cleanse yourself with godbubble or traditional method (bubble might be good for 2nd?)

3. Drop your aoe heal + use your + alacrity skill

4. Use your (+crit for innervate/trance) heal

5. Innervate/trance

6. Use your recklessness/force potency + spam your big heal

Afterwards:

Check how many times you both critted via parsec logs.

If no success: have a marauder or sentinel give you bloodlust RIGHT before you enter and save your adrenaline for the 2nd challenge. By popping your relic slightly before you enter you certainly have it for 2nd challenge also.

G'luck!

Slow release med pack is not enough for the speed it drops same with emergency med pack , to small a heal for the global wasted and you will fall behind.

Its safer to just burn all your energy and pop cool head midway with underworld medicine spam.

No matter what you do, MAKE SURE YOU KOLTO CLOUD(RN for imps) it is by far your strongest heal (it heals for almost 2x the base of kolto injection) infact, if you time it right you should be able to get in two kolto clouds during the challenge.

Also as a general tip, if you apply your Hots while your partner innervates you fall much less behind than otherwise might occur.

Ideally the highest HPS heal set you can do would be to :

(also Kolto injections is significantly more hps than Surgical probe, at least in part due to it getting a surge bonus, but surgical probe is needed at least once or twice to not dip out of energy again after the first time you fall)

Soundrel

RN<Probex2<Kolto infusion<Kolto injection+Surgical probe<Kolto injection+Surgical probe<Kolto infusion<RN<Kolto injection+Surgical probe

I think that would be the end of challenge ( I dont really think about the end when im doing it, just healing over and over again), you will have to energy regen here cause its super energy negative, and you should also pop alacrity cd right after the first probe. Also some surgical probes can be replaced with more kolto injections if you are feeling really stressed, although by the time the challenge ends it might not be enough to keep you going (aka it will run you down on energy too fast).

Congratulations you have sustained the highest single target HPS possible in the fight regardless of spec (unless you literally never crit and your co-heal always does, and mainly because mercs cant shell this target)

Also if you are capable of doing the pull but are worried about getting crit ****ed at some point or just in general, I would highly recommend using a crit adrenal instead of a triage adrenal for that particular challenge.

Edited by DuEldrvarya

I don't use Kolto Probe (SRM) at all in that challenge. It's a great heal but is too slow for a 15 second challenge. it ticks for 18 seconds. but you need to cleanse and cast RN and Infusion first, which means that by the time you get both probes off, they would tick together for a total of 7.5 seconds. not worth it.

Here's what I do-

Before entering challenge-

zoom in to first person so I can immediately click the target. pop stim boost(pugnacity) and my BA relic

enter challenge

Cleanse mob, evasion(dodge) Recuperative Nanotech, (Kolto Cloud) Kolto infusion(Koltopack), kolto injection(underworld medicine), surgical probe(Emer. medpack) repeat the injection/surgical probe until nanotech comes off CD, then repeat.

Edited by Baynard

I don't use Kolto Probe (SRM) at all in that challenge. It's a great heal but is too slow for a 15 second challenge. it ticks for 18 seconds. but you need to cleanse and cast RN and Infusion first, which means that by the time you get both probes off, they would tick together for a total of 7.5 seconds. not worth it.

Here's what I do-

Before entering challenge-

zoom in to first person so I can immediately click the target. pop stim boost(pugnacity) and my BA relic

enter challenge

Cleanse mob, evasion(dodge) Recuperative Nanotech, (Kolto Cloud) Kolto infusion(Koltopack), kolto injection(underworld medicine), surgical probe(Emer. medpack) repeat the injection/surgical probe until nanotech comes off CD, then repeat.

This is exactly the right thing to do. You don't even need a BA relic if you follow this strategy.

There are some arguments on whether to use your hots and like this poster, I generally find that it's better to ignore those, get your other big heals up on the target, and then injection spam. It's very energy intensive but it doesn't matter since the rest of the fight is pretty easy. Parse the HPS, you will find adding hots at best is neutral compared to not adding hots. Injection actually works out to be better because it has some huge crits and if you do score those crits, you can finish around 30-35 percent on the add instead of 5-10 percent if the other healer has good RNG, and still win even if they don't. The biggest thing is that if you put on hots, RN and Infusion come up again too late to be worth casting.

Remember to refresh all your great heals in the last few seconds, getting RN and Infusion back on is worth it if you can get most of their uptime while you keep spamming injection/surgical probe.

Edited by Saenth

For your Sage, today I added advice for healing Nightmare DP to my guide. I discuss Raptus's Healing Challenge in great detail. See the link in my signature, and go to "PVE" > "Tips for Certain Bosses".

A couple of highlights:

• Salvation is best as a cast with 2 stacks of Resplendence. It's even better as a cast with 1 stack of Resplendence than as an instant with 3 stacks.
  • Focused Retribution and Serendipitous Assault relics almost always outperform Boundless Ages for a Sage over both rounds.

Edited by Orderken

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add a little to this thread and see if the people who reliably clear the fight have any corrections to make. My guild just got to it for the first time last night and our healers barely managed to find rotations that worked.

It seems to me that the second challenge is MUCH harder than the first for healers. We can pass the first one easily, but the second we were only able to pass by getting Bloodthirst from the DPS before we go in and saving an adrenal, and even then it's much closer than the first challenge.

Here's what I found to be the best possible rotation on my merc:

Cleanse, Kolto Shell, Supercharged Gas+Kolto Missile, Adrenal(if used)+Emergency Scan, Healing Scan, Power Surge+Rapid Scan, Healing Scan, Vent Heat+Rapid Scan, then repeat Healing Scan, Rapid Scan until time runs out.

I also did some parses with my sorc to see how it compared, using this rotation:

(Enter with 2-3 stacks of Force Surge), Cleanse, Force Barrier(if used)+Adrenal(if used)+Polarity Shift+Static Barrier, Revivification, Resurgence, Innervate, Recklessness+Dark Infusion, Dark Infusion, Resurgence, Innervate, Dark Infusion, Static Barrier.

(Side note: looking at it now, it's probably better to put Polarity Shift before the first Innervate, so it lasts through all of the Dark Infusions)

Also, by my measurement the challenge lasts 20 seconds, not 15. The sorc rotation nets me significantly more healing done (factoring in Static Barrier), but that doesn't factor in Kolto Shell, Charge Screen, or Kolto Residue for the other healer.

Anyway, someone posted a good rotation for operatives, so I thought I'd post the other 2 and see if anyone had any suggestions.

Edited by Kryand

• 4 weeks later...
Congratulations you have sustained the highest single target HPS possible in the fight regardless of spec (unless you literally never crit and your co-heal always does, and mainly because mercs cant shell this target)

Just dispelling a myth here, but Kolto Shell works just fine on the captive. Dulfy was the one who started that rumor, as I understand it, but it simply isn't true. Watch the world first Zorz kill, taken from the perspective of a merc healer. She shells the target, and it does tick down. With a tiny bit of experimenting, you can see that Static Barrier also works.

For a merc, the following is just about the best you can do:

Cleanse > Kolto Missile > Kolto Shell + Supercharge + Adrenal > Healing Scan > Rapid Scan > Emergency Scan > TSO + Rapid Scan > Healing Scan > Rapid Scan > Power Surge + Rapid Scan > Rapid Scan

You have about half a GCD at the end there. Feel free to Rapid Shots. The point of the TSO + Rapid Scan is to reduce the clipping on the HS HoT, which is appreciable. Toggling between HS and RS is strictly less HPS than spamming RS while the HS HoT is ticking.

The really nice thing about the above is you can save Vent Heat. By the time you get out of the challenge and back into position, your heat should be easily back into the comfort zone.

I believe the above is actually higher single-target HPS than the Operative equivalent, particularly if you use Recouperative Nanotech late (and thus, miss out on a large number of its ticks). I don't think it is higher than an Operative buffed by a Merc though, assuming the Operative skips Surgical Probe (using SP is a HPS loss if you don't care about your energy). In my commando's gear, which is far from even half 186s, the above does about 5.8k HPS over the course of the 20 second challenge.

All of this is irrelevant, you can still down the boss even if you fail all 4 challenges

Failing both healing challenges means 100% reflect from four DPS. Let's assume that you're OK healing through the enrage for a little while but that you can't heal much during Spinning Attack, you need to be able to heal back roughly 3k * 4 = 12k reflected DtPS in addition to the combined 2k that the tanks are taking, which is to say you need to sustain (between Spinning Attack) 14k HPS between the two healers, which is 7k individually and more than is required to beat the healing challenge in the first place!

So, if you fail both healing challenges you're pretty much done unless you can catch up significantly on healing during Spinning Attack. That's possible using some strategies, but even still, the HPS buffer you gain is not much even when you can catch up. 3k DtPS over 45 seconds (time between SA) is 135k. Subtract 40k to account for the HP buffer, and you have 95k healing on each DPS over 45 seconds, which is 2.1k * 4 = 8.4k HPS + 2k tank HPS = 10.4k / 2 healers = 5.2k HPS. That's 5.2k HPS between Spinning Attacks, plus 40k * 4 = 160k / 15 seconds (during SA) = 10.7k / 2 healers = 5.3k HPS during Spinning Attack. Good luck.

Oh, and all of the above is completely ignoring the raid-wide AoE damage explosion.

So in other words, no. Fraps or it didn't happen.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

Just dispelling a myth here, but Kolto Shell works just fine on the captive. Dulfy was the one who started that rumor, as I understand it, but it simply isn't true. Watch the world first Zorz kill, taken from the perspective of a merc healer. She shells the target, and it does tick down. With a tiny bit of experimenting, you can see that Static Barrier also works.

Thanks for that heads up, I don't merc heal often (cause I'm alot better on my operative and that fight is operative sauce). I do know our resident merc heal said it wasn't worth it, but ofc I don't really question the other heals.

Kolto Shell does work and is as good as any of your other heals. Ultimately though, the only thing that matters in the heal challenge is crits. No matter how perfect your rotation is, if you get fewer crits than you should, you will fail. Of course you still need to have a solid rotation regardless, but just because you fail the challenge doesn't necessarily mean you did anything wrong. Edited by Kryand

• 3 months later...

A couple of highlights:

• Salvation is best as a cast with 2 stacks of Resplendence. It's even better as a cast with 1 stack of Resplendence than as an instant with 3 stacks.

In such race to heal the little fella, why an instant Revivification is less desirable than a casted one ?

oh, okay, thanks for the clarification

Actually, sorry, made a mistake there. :p

Revivification has an unbuffed cast time of 2 seconds. Each stack of Force Surge takes 33% off that (0.67 seconds). At two stacks of Force Surge, you will cast it for 0.67 seconds, while at three stacks it becomes instant and takes 1 GCD (1.5 seconds). Even at 1 stack of Force Surge, you would only take 1.33 seconds to cast it, so even that's better than at three stacks. At two stacks, you will be using ~45% of a GCD, and at one stack, ~89%. None of the numbers include Alacrity, but as we are talking percentages here, it makes no difference.

Of course, instant Revivification at three stacks does have its advantages in the form of being able to use it while on the move.

My rotation as an operative is cleanse mob + evasion - nanites and then just kolto injection

Usually mob is 30% or higher when challenge finishes, make sure to hit stim boost for alacrity increase and should rotate adrenal with other healer as in one of you uses adrenal on first challenge and other uses on 2nd, boundless ages relic helps as an operative but not required.

Would love to know if any groups do this regularly without one of the healers being an operative or scoundrel

My rotation as an operative is cleanse mob + evasion - nanites and then just kolto injection

Would love to know if any groups do this regularly without one of the healers being an operative or scoundrel

It is doable as a merc/sorc combo or 2x sorc. On the first one sorc force barrier and then cleanse the npc. On the second one you just have to wait for cleanse cooldown if you are doing it with a merc. There is more chance to fail on the second one with the cleanse delay but failing one healing challenge isn't the end of the world as long you succeed in the first one.

Edited by Iwipe

My rotation for merc heals is as follows:

Cleanse, kolto shell, pop scg-healing scan spam till at max heat, vent heat-power surge-rapid scan,emergency scan, jet boost roll out.

Vent heat will always come up in the middle of the next challenge.

Me and zip have finished with the mob at 50% on a few occassions.

I really despise this challenge.. Even the best geared and most skilled healers on the planet can fail this if the crit RNG gods decide not to produce a single crit for either healer.. Which happens more often that you would think.

Luckily you really only need to pass the 1st one.

Anyways.. For my rotation I go cleanse/dodge, Kolto cloud, Pugnacity, Kolto Probe, UWM until out of energy, then coolhead and back to uwms and pray for a crit.. If unlucky, spam emergency medpacs until challenge finishes.

I really despise this challenge.. Even the best geared and most skilled healers on the planet can fail this if the crit RNG gods decide not to produce a single crit for either healer.. Which happens more often that you would think.

Yes, which is why I (as a Scoundrel healer) now use a crit adrenal if I feel I need to. It depends on what class my co-healer is; I've found that double Scoundrel seems to work really well and we don't need adrenals or Inspiration for the challenges. But I feel that using either of those things is fine.

I dont believe this. For me its all about being fast at the start of the challenge. If im fast at the start the challenge is a cake.

Problems only appear if for any reason the healers start "slow" or without coordination (aka lose too much time to cleanse themselves and the add, yeah mouse clicking the add is a pain in the *** xD)

Bad RNG only will make me fail the challenge if i already started slow/bad. On good start it rly doesnt matter.