The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Which is the best SW movie?

Stalinski

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RotJ is best. Closely by a new hope.

As for the placement of the prequels, well, prequels were garbage. We don't even need another link to redlettermedia to tell us that, but if you're still not convinced, go find it, I'll wait.

His arguments aside, After being a fan of the series for 20 years before the release of the craptacular prequels, think on this. Forget the prequels for one moment, pretend they don't exist and you don't know the story. Now, listen carefully to all of Obi Wan's stories. Now, re-imagine Obi Wan meeting Anakin for the first time. Was Anakin a 10 year old boy? If yes, you are either George Lucas, or an escaped mental patient. In either case, please check yourself into the nearest facility for help.

Now, I will say the Revenge of the Sith is the best of the prequels, and by a long shot. I was too heavily under the influence of rageahol by the time the good scenes rolled around in Clone Wars. But there were, what, like 2 of them?

Again, think of Obi Wan's stories, forgetting the prequels, and try to imagine Anakin being, well, the Anakin in the prequels. It destroyed my youthful imagining of who Anakin was. GL directs passion as though it's a temper tantrum. You actually do see a little of that in a New Hope, but not to the point to where it destroys it like it did The prequels.

Also, as the redlettermedia reviews said, GL forgot to put the passion into the fighting choreography. Yeah, they're Jedi, no passion, but that doesn't make for a very interesting movie. Even Obi Wan and Anakin set their passion aside long enough to swing swords at each other, even when their emotions should be running their highest.

Revenge of the Sith was actually pretty decent up until the final moments and the whole, "Padme died from a broken heart" typo. Yes, I think it was a typo and George was too full of himself to be ashamed of it and said, "I meant to write that!" We all know she likely died from complications based upon being force choked and tossed onto the ground on a hazardous planet while pregnant with twins. Internal bleeding, broken heart, who knows, I think old George just had a brain fart when writing that. Then again, what's new.

Lot of people say that the Empire Strikes Back was good, it was. But I prefer Return of the Jedi: Special Edition myself. It was pretty much left as it was with the exceptions of adding more to it that made it feel more complete. More extras in Jabba's Palace and the end sequence I enjoyed with the whole galaxy rejoicing that the reign of the Empire had ended. Sure it was cheesy, but I liked it.

I've always taken the OT as a single entity, I can't remember the last time I haven't tried to put aside to watch all of them as closely together as possible. For my money they build upon each other.

As for the prequels, I've never much cared for them. What I loved about the Original Trilogy was the characters and the feel they gave to the story. The characters in I-III seemed lifeless and based more upon the epic CGI battles and lightsaber duels. While the battles and duels had been vital to the OT as well it had been the dialogue and revealations that drove them for my money (Kenobi sacrificing himself, Vader telling Luke he was his father and Luke coming so close to the fall to the Dark Side in his battle with Vader). That said I'm equally willing to conceed that it may just be that they were the films I grew up loving and that my opinions above are just rationalization.

I happen to have liked all of the Star Wars movies. I - VI. Some more than others, sure, but all of them nonetheless.

As far as I'm concerned, Anakin's role was actually decently well-written, since to have had the dark side corrupt you so completely, you'd have to have been emotionally manipulable/unstable. I regard both Anakin and Vader as extremely powerful force-users, as they are, but I'm truly comfortable with the fact that the bad-*** title remains solely with Vader's polarity.

I could've done without the rather bluntly injected "Oh hey my voice changed and my face isn't as chubby now, let's **** lady." tones I got smacked over the head with pretty early in II, but other than that? S'all gravy.

The original trilogy will always hold a special place in my heart because they're the ones I saw first, and a psychological aspect of me refuses to equate anything to it because of this, no matter how fond I am of the prequels. When people get all butthurt as I mention my RP character dons robes as black as soot, I need only point them in the direction of RoTJ's Luke, who waltzed into Jabba's palace in ******-to-the-umpteenth power allblax, and laid the verbal ****-smack on him.

Edited by Xirandir