Bio Do housing right!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts? We've had a form of housing since launch. They could have added some customization options to our ships, and been done with it, and spent some of that money on new Ops or FPs. The only thing that even remotely interests me about the housing expansion is Legacy Storage, and they could have added that to the ships and been good.

So, in perspective with the premise of this thread, as far as I'm concerned they did it wrong anyway. If I wanted to play Suzy Homemaker, I'd play the Sims.

I don't see how we could possibly have enough information to draw any conclusions about mechanics in Strongholds. At least wait until it comes out to talk about how the sky is falling.

that is too much of a level headed assessment for the forums

Player housing with forced placement of items(within reason) is terrible , it effectively makes it an unlock system. Slightly exaggerating but imagine being told how to decorate or set up you're own home.:mad:

I've just read up on housing in LOTRO. It sounds suspiciously like everything I've heard about SWTOR's housing system so far. I don't know. Let's just assume it couldn't possibly be worse that LOTRO's housing and see where we end up.

Attitudes regarding player housing cover a huge spectrum from those who demand it in all its fine intricacies to those who consider it a total waste of time and effort. I fall on the side of immersion and would like it as detailed as possible. Legacy storage is a nice idea but after playing LOTRO for many years and prior to that EQ2, I can say the EQ2 placement of furniture (place it anywhere) was far superior to LOTRO's "Hooks". Who knows? Perhaps we will be nicely surprised with the strongholds ....

Attitudes regarding player housing cover a huge spectrum from those who demand it in all its fine intricacies to those who consider it a total waste of time and effort. I fall on the side of immersion and would like it as detailed as possible. Legacy storage is a nice idea but after playing LOTRO for many years and prior to that EQ2, I can say the EQ2 placement of furniture (place it anywhere) was far superior to LOTRO's "Hooks". Who knows? Perhaps we will be nicely surprised with the strongholds ....

EQ2 remains the best example of how to do player housing in an MMO, IMO. The instancing removes the problem of player houses cluttering the world that games like UO had. The wide variety of player crafted furniture, purchased furniture ( either through vendors or the cash store ), quest furniture, trophies, and etc kept it interesting. And players managed to use the existing furniture in ways that totally remodeled the interiors of the house layouts, too, creating taverns, libraries, and so forth.

EQ2 remains the best example of how to do player housing in an MMO, IMO. The instancing removes the problem of player houses cluttering the world that games like UO had. The wide variety of player crafted furniture, purchased furniture ( either through vendors or the cash store ), quest furniture, trophies, and etc kept it interesting. And players managed to use the existing furniture in ways that totally remodeled the interiors of the house layouts, too, creating taverns, libraries, and so forth.

That's what I'm looking for in SWTOR. There are so many different players and they all have different ideas. Just give them the room to be creative. NOT a space where you can put a bed (would you like a blue, red or purple bedsheet?) and a few feet away a space where you can place a table, cabinet or vase... I want to see free placement, at LEAST, and the ability to place items multiple times.

For instance. They've pretty much let it slip you'll be able to purchase and place NPCs in your stronghold. Then I want to have the ability to place entire GARISSONS in my Stronghold. If so I choose. The same with pets. We've seen pets are placeables. What if I want to have my Stronghold to be completely INFESTED with Womp Weasels? Then I want to be able to do just that. In ANY game that has housing, limit the player's creativity as little as possible! Otherwise it's just not worth it at all.

Now, Eric's statement that SWTOR's housing will be unlike anything else that's out there gives me hope. But those 'teaser' videos we have seen take a lot of that hope away.

My thoughts? We've had a form of housing since launch. They could have added some customization options to our ships, and been done with it, and spent some of that money on new Ops or FPs. The only thing that even remotely interests me about the housing expansion is Legacy Storage, and they could have added that to the ships and been good.

So, in perspective with the premise of this thread, as far as I'm concerned they did it wrong anyway. If I wanted to play Suzy Homemaker, I'd play the Sims.

+1

Eventually all the housing system will be forgotten and only useful thing remaining will be legacy storage and in future possibly extra normal storage. All the trophy showoff wont matter. All mmo's follow that path eventually.

Edited by Divona

If your thinking housing that can be decorated and customized like UO.

Forget it, not happening.

First UO had TONS of things that went with housing, an entire furniture making craft for one. NONE of this exists in game.

These houses are all pre-decorated and they look just like any other public place and everyone's house will look the same, not that it will matter because they will all be virtual, it won't be like UO where you can go to a persons house.

If I understand correctly it was mentioned by the devs that customization, like housing, was not possible for starships because of fears it would "break" mission triggers within the ship.

One of the same reasons they could not allow us to sit in more chairs on the ship as well. The code is not very conducive to change it seems.

If your thinking housing that can be decorated and customized like UO.

Forget it, not happening.

First UO had TONS of things that went with housing, an entire furniture making craft for one. NONE of this exists in game.

These houses are all pre-decorated and they look just like any other public place and everyone's house will look the same, not that it will matter because they will all be virtual, it won't be like UO where you can go to a persons house.

Have you actually read the stronghold page?

http://www.swtor.com/galactic-strongholds

It mentions both crafting for your stronghold, as well as customizing it.

Well that's a pretty dumb comment... You could just as well say about PvP that "if I wanted to play super soldier, I'd play call of duty" or about GSF "If I wanted to play dogfights, I'd play warthunder" or even about the PvE in the game "If I wanted to play story, I'd play Dragon Age"...

The addition of housing is welcome by alot of players and has been sought after for quite a while.

They also explained why they couldn't do it on the ships because so many cutscenes take place there and it would be too restrictive because of all the camera angles in those cutscenes.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

By which time it's too late to influence their design choices and we find they've half-arsed it like the dye system?

:(

You don't know much about MMO design do you...it's already too late. The planning and design stages are LONG since over. That's unless you want yet another delay/

The commonly accepted reason why that did not happen is the fact that a LOT of the story takes place on one's ship and having to modify the cut scene system to adjust to those modifiers would be nigh impossible. They cannot even get unified armor colors on companions to stick in story cut scenes (sometimes they work sometimes they don't).

I'm pretty sure UO's housing is virtual, too.

It would be nice if the housing is fully customizable, and for all we know it could be. The videos have been teasers more then anything, and frankly we have no idea either way how it is going to work. I suspect we will know a little more closer to the release date. The fact that GS has been delayed is perhaps a positive indication that they are listening to player demands.

Anyway, I think we should just wait and see. You never know, BW may surprise us all! :i_angel:

Edited by Cyberwoman

I'm pretty sure UO's housing is virtual, too.

Ok that made me laugh. :D

What I'm looking forward to most is legacy storage. I would like to consolidate all my cargo holds, and not have to switch from one character to the other constantly. Also interested in guild ships, having recently joined a couple. Would be nice to meet my fellow members perhaps.

I expect they won't do it "right". I don't care really, I'll check it out, would be fun if they did it right according to some people that are getting their hopes way too far up.

During development they said ships would be our homes, they also showed some customization ideas, changing color schemes and such. That got scrapped, and might only have been an idea with concept art.

I don't even think we get to paint the walls in this housing, we'll be lucky if we get to choose seating arrangements.

What I have seen from what they have been willing to show us it'll be really simple housing. Predetermined nodes to place items on from a list based of your achievements/collections. That's all they've shown us "place big statues" "place pets" "show it off to your friends".

I feel people are expecting that they can design dining rooms, dance halls, bedrooms, etc. Don't you think they'd show those features off if you could? You can hope, and maybe that's what it'll be... Dream on if you expect more, you might get really lucky and have your dreams come true.

Just a mini-game of "place random crap no one really cares about, not even you most likely". Hope someone has fun placing things in a way that might impress their friends with the limited options we'll likely have.

Some well known opponents to a housing system....some of those folks pretty vocal back in the day, "this isnt SWG 2.0, housing will never happen, if you don't like it leave" sort of folks, will certainly continue to be rather bitter about being proven wrong.

I expect they will remain rather critical of the feature since it made their prior comments and protestations look rather foolish.

This is why I tell folks to never say never, and feel free to suggest anything they would like to see...anything is possible.

That said, not every person that stands against this feature campaigned against those that desired it back in the day, and should not be lumped in with those folks IMO. Some folks just simply hate the idea of "wasting resources", as they see it, on a feature they have little to no interest in.

I think, however, all of us get that some times. I know I was rather disappointed with GS and feel those resources were wasted.

Some well known opponents to a housing system....some of those folks pretty vocal back in the day, "this isnt SWG 2.0, housing will never happen, if you don't like it leave" sort of folks, will certainly continue to be rather bitter about being proven wrong.

I expect they will remain rather critical of the feature since it made their prior comments and protestations look rather foolish.

This is why I tell folks to never say never, and feel free to suggest anything they would like to see...anything is possible.

That said, not every person that stands against this feature campaigned against those that desired it back in the day, and should not be lumped in with those folks IMO. Some folks just simply hate the idea of "wasting resources", as they see it, on a feature they have little to no interest in.

I think, however, all of us get that some times. I know I was rather disappointed with GS and feel those resources were wasted.

I was an opponent of Housing when it was constantly suggested/demanded. I felt like it wasn't a proper avenue for resources.

That said, once the decision was made to make Housing a thing, I accepted it and decided to embrace the idea. And now, I have little reason to be upset with it.

As for how Housing will work, I'll be patient and wait for them to release info in regards to how it works before I freak out. Because right now, all we have is speculation, assumption, bias and prejudice.

I'm quite looking forward to the GS, but I'm doing so with few expectations. I spend little time as possible in fleet because of the minor irritants -- things other players do -- that culminate in disrupting my immersion and concentration when I'm engaging in marketplace speculation and crafting. No gripe here really, it's just me, my old age, and increasing intolerance for immaturity and actions that border on griefing.

Avoiding fleet, I do everything I can on my ship, and I have all the applicable unlocks. But to me the ships are a bit dismal; so, housing with its promise of legacy storage appeals mightily to me. Will I spend heavily on décor, probably not, but I will invest in any and all conveniences that help me avoid the fleet.

Is player housing a game changer for me? Decidedly NOT, it's a cosmetic enhancement at best. Given the choice between additional solo content, playable classes and companions, or new explorable planets, GS comes in way down on my wish list, but I'll be infinitely happy to take whatever I can get.