Males playing females & vice versa. Are you treated differently?

MSchuyler

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, of course not. But in the context I was talking about, it's clear that it's just a dramatic way of saying they got wiped out in a fight. No prisons, or power struggles/dominance... just a fight they lost.

Well, put it this way - losing a fight or a power struggle in prison can result in exactly that outcome. It's also a known behavior among a number of ape species. Either way, the metaphor in question alludes to male-on-male expression of dominance in certain environments, so calling it misogynistic just isn't true to the origin or to the meaning.

As to its appropriateness, that's a separate question and it depends on the social group.

Quote: Originally Posted by markcymru

No, of course not. But in the context I was talking about, it's clear that it's just a dramatic way of saying they got wiped out in a fight. No prisons, or power struggles/dominance... just a fight they lost.

Well, put it this way - losing a fight or a power struggle in prison can result in exactly that outcome. It's also a known behavior among a number of ape species. Either way, the metaphor in question alludes to male-on-male expression of dominance in certain environments, so calling it misogynistic just isn't true to the origin or to the meaning.

As to its appropriateness, that's a separate question and it depends on the social group.

Well, my point is this:

I have to be alert to the possibility of rape every time I go out at night or go into a parking garage (and if I dated men, whenever I drank in a bar), just to name a few situations. I’m willing to bet that you NEVER think about being raped in those situations. I’m pretty sure that in this way I’m typical of most women, and I’m pretty sure that in this particular way you’re typical of most men. In war, rape has become a widely-used technique for terrorizing women… men not so much. I could go on. So women find it hard to listen to rape being casually used as a metaphor for a trivial loss in an imaginary fight, while men tend not to find it a problem or to even notice that it might be offensive to women. Your comments would be relevant if the SWTOR game-playing population were made up mostly of men in prison or in some other ruthless male-dominance culture where rape is a common tool of oppressing subordinate men (where that might be, I have no idea)… but I don’t think that’s the case. So why bring it up?

That's why when male players use rape as a metaphor for being beaten by Sith or Mandalorians or White Maw pirates I speak to them about it.

Edited by markcymru

I understand the disdain on this thread about when people are manipulating others. I was at my daughter's last night and had the opportunity to talk with my grandson further (as he was showing me Rift.) I asked specifically if he was doing any sort of manipulation or flirting or anything that would provoke someone else into giving him stuff. His answer: "Absolutely not!" Now he could be pulling my leg, but in the absence of any evidence to the contrary, I have to believe him. In terms of style of play, he does a lot of PvP, Heroics, and a lot of flashpoints. He tends to be a lot more interactive with other players than I am. So I suppose there is a lot more opportunity the way he plays. Not that this matters, but he also plays "far out" at a distance so his toons are small and the surrounding territory is easily seen. I tend to play "right behind" my toon so I'm much closer to the action.

I've seen his toons, and I think they are a lot more sexy than my Sith, who is robed up, but how sexy is dressing up as a yellow jacket? Not very, so I'm not convinced he does that intentionally. In Real Life he is pretty conservative and treats girls (he's 15) with respect (off topic to tell you how I know this). So overall I'm still a bit puzzled, but it's not like this is the biggest issue in the game. Thanks for your answers.

P.S. He says I suck at Rift on the XBox.

Edited by MSchuyler

I have both... My toon names and gear look vs gender is more biased to the cute sexy/different side than just gender based

Ie I have a sexy provocative named female who gets hit on all the time... By some weird twisted guys... Lol) And a big muscly guy (who is ugly), but has a funny name and cool look... Nearly the same attention on both

I have to be alert to the possibility of rape every time I go out at night or go into a parking garage (and if I dated men, whenever I drank in a bar), just to name a few situations. I’m willing to bet that you NEVER think about being raped in those situations.

But a man still needs to think about the possibility of being killed if he's attacked and doesn't respond in kind;

or the possibility of being arrested, tried and convicted if he's attacked and does respond in kind;

or the possibility of being arrested, tried, cleared, but broke and debt-bound from the legal costs.

Anyway, back to the point.

The metaphor stems from means of exerting dominance in violent societies, which the game world itself can be considered. Using it isn't misogynist, people don't even think of women when doing so. Is it insensitive? Not thinking of others is one of the ways you can be insensitive. But there's definitely no misogyny here.

Edited by Heal-To-Full

I play mostly male type 2 characters on this game, but they're not cookiecutter (different races and skin colors[using race as species]). I've mostly solo'd things on female characters in other games so I don't know if there is a difference. But on my male characters in this game I get flirted with... by male chars only. I have no idea why this happens, lol. It's just chance and how well you made your char I guess, anyone else have this happen?

Never really had flirting happening, only some mild racism with my black characters.

My green female toon once met guy who said "you would be incredibly cute if you were white"

My human female who has purple miniskirt and sleeveless top once was last alive on Arena, other side having all 4. I was healer so I decided to try heal trough toxin kill. Well, ALL players on other side wrote to "say" stuff like "come to play with me, baby"

Those are the weirest stuff anyone has said to my toons :o