SWTOR Fastest growing MMO in history

Jett-Rinn

Has anyone bothered to mention the fact that RIFT announced they passed 1 million registered players during their headstart period, prior to their actual launch date?

Because that sounds a bit faster.

Funny thing, history.:rolleyes:

I still play RIFT. Your point?

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone bothered to mention the fact that RIFT announced they passed 1 million registered players during their headstart period, prior to their actual launch date?

Because that sounds a bit faster.

Funny thing, history.:rolleyes:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/02/24/trion-worlds-rift-has-surpassed-1-million-registered-accounts/

SWTOR had over 2 million registered account during testing.

There is a slight difference between registered accounts and actual subscriptions.

So, yeah, funny thing history when you don't present it in proper context.

BTW, want to know when they closed in on 1 million units sold (note: not subscriptions, but units sold)?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/07/rift-approaching-the-one-million-sell-through-mark/

Edited by Scar

There is a slight difference between registered accounts and actual subscriptions.

So, yeah, funny thing history when you don't present it in proper context.

And, once again for those who aren't getting it, exactly how many subscriptions has SWToR collected at this point?

No fair using your time machine to zip a month into the future and scout us out an answer other than the currently correct "zero".

Funny thing, that context.

This is the problem with claiming SWToR has 1 million subscribers. Everyone who wanted to play after the grace period had to register a credit card. And nobody has any idea how many of those registrations will actually stick around and turn into a paying subscriber one month from now. Thus, the party thread and the original posters gloating is just a wee bit premature.

So, to wrap this up, how many subscribers does SWToR currently have? Zero. How many registered accounts does SWToR currently have? At least a million. How many registered accounts did RIFT have by launch? At least a million. Is the title of this thread as well as Bioware's press release misleading (much like all MMO press releases)? Yes.

Edited by Apax

First and foremost, I have never been an MMORPG fan. I got bored of WoW after hitting level 35, I couldn't get into EVE Online. MapleStory was fun for a while... but then it got boring.

I love this MMORPG. I love it because it's Star Wars - the most universally acknowledged series. The controls are easy, story is easy to follow, sound is great, graphics are fantastic... what more could a person want?

I will be playing this for years to come.

And I used to play WoW, but then I took a panda to the knee.

Edited by Sinister-Sith

For all you wow trolls, Just remember wow did not start out a sucessful game. There was bugs , game play didn't work the way it was intended. This is the next big MMO..... it will take time. But wow is dieing out...

WoW didn't start out huge because at the time EQ had the distinction of the largest number or subscribers with a peak around 500,000. There just simply weren't a lot of MMO players back then.

But now, WoW has pulled in over 12 million players to MMOs. There is a huge difference in difficulty between creating millions of MMO players where none existed and luring millions of existing MMO players over from one MMO to the next. Frankly, today's million was yesterday's 50,000. It's just not that impressive now.

But, impressive or not it's still well more than what most MMOs need to break even.

Edited by Apax

And, once again for those who aren't getting it, exactly how many subscriptions has SWToR collected at this point?

No fair using your time machine to zip a month into the future and scout us out an answer other than the currently correct "zero".

This is the problem with claiming SWToR has 1 million subscribers. Everyone who wanted to play after the grace period had to register a credit card. And nobody has any idea how many of those registrations will actually stick around and turn into a paying subscriber one month from now. Thus, the party thread and the original posters gloating is just a wee bit premature.

So, to wrap this up, how many subscribers does SWToR currently have? Zero. How many registered accounts does SWToR currently have? At least a million. How many registered accounts did RIFT have by launch? At least a million. Is the title of this thread as well as Bioware's press release misleading (much like all MMO press releases)? Yes.

Rift forum accounts != box sales of SWtOR which require a subscription to be set up.

I'm at least one, I've put my credit card information in and am ready for January.

WoW didn't start out huge because at the time EQ had the distinction of the largest number or subscribers with a peak around 500,000. There just simply weren't a lot of MMO players back then.

But now, WoW has pulled in over 12 million players to MMOs. There is a huge difference in difficulty between creating millions of MMO players where none existed and luring millions of existing MMO players over from one MMO to the next. Frankly, today's million was yesterday's 50,000. It's just not that impressive now.

But, impressive or not it's still well more than what most MMOs need to break even.

So when will you consider it impressive?

Like I always said most so called gamers will scream fail unless TOR gets 12.5 million players

:rolleyes:

So, to wrap this up, how many subscribers does SWToR currently have? Zero.

So when it says on my subscription page that I am subscribed for a recurring monthly subscription.....I'm actually not subscribed? Huh? Pretty sure it says I am subscribed.

WoW didnt create gamers where they didn't exist. It just happened to be the top MMO game at the time of many more people discovering computers.

Frankly I don't care if its impressive or the #1. Just as long as its profitable enough for them to continue development.

I never played WoW, but I did EQ. So for me at least, they didn't pull me.

Edited by Aberration

While I am personally enjoying TOR. As it stands, I don't see it lasting. It simply has nothing to keep you. An MMO is not the same as a SP game, you can't just offer them a singleplayer campaign and call it a day. Once we beat the stories of the classes, what then? There's hardly any replay value since choices don't actually change anything. There's virtually no endgame content either. So what is there to keep us interested after the first month or two? The only way I can see TOR staying strong is if they rapid-patch in some serious endgame content. Proper world PVP ala SWG style would probably be a huge boon to the game. But until such a time, this game very likely will die as only the hardcore bioware and SW fans will stay, everyone else will have left simply because there's nothing to do.

While I am personally enjoying TOR. As it stands, I don't see it lasting. It simply has nothing to keep you. An MMO is not the same as a SP game, you can't just offer them a singleplayer campaign and call it a day. Once we beat the stories of the classes, what then? There's hardly any replay value since choices don't actually change anything. There's virtually no endgame content either. So what is there to keep us interested after the first month or two? The only way I can see TOR staying strong is if they rapid-patch in some serious endgame content. Proper world PVP ala SWG style would probably be a huge boon to the game. But until such a time, this game very likely will die as only the hardcore bioware and SW fans will stay, everyone else will have left simply because there's nothing to do.

That's just false, there is end-game content, and they will be adding more.

Oh? What endgame content? As far as I knew there was like one or two raids and a couple pvp warzones. Am I missing something?

Yeah, 2 operations, and every flashpoint is do-able again at 50, plus they plan on adding more shortly. You're severely over-exaggerating the end game situation.

Yeah, 2 operations, and every flashpoint is do-able again at 50, plus they plan on adding more shortly. You're severely over-exaggerating the end game situation.

This.. they stated themselves they are going to add a ton of content within a month of release.. specifically for end game, If I'm not mistaken.

A whopping two operations. Wow. I'll certainly play those nonstop for the next six months. And flashpoints I've already played and are geared towards low levels, amazingly fun.

Like I said, AS IT STANDS NOW, this game has no endgame content and endgame content is what holds subs. They can patch some more stuff in, sure, and if they do that may very well do the trick. But until such a time, this game holds no draws. And considering a LOT of people are planning to drop this game after the first month, they need to move fast to give them a reason not to. Because the stories are not that long, they can all be played even at a leisurely pace in the span of a month. After that, what then? They'll need some serious content updates before the end of janurary.

A whopping two operations. Wow. I'll certainly play those nonstop for the next six months. And flashpoints I've already played and are geared towards low levels, amazingly fun.

Like I said, AS IT STANDS NOW, this game has no endgame content and endgame content is what holds subs. They can patch some more stuff in, sure, and if they do that may very well do the trick. But until such a time, this game holds no draws. And considering a LOT of people are planning to drop this game after the first month, they need to move fast to give them a reason not to. Because the stories are not that long, they can all be played even at a leisurely pace in the span of a month. After that, what then? They'll need some serious content updates before the end of janurary.

Like I said, you're way exaggerating the situation, whatever floats your boat.

Like I said, you're way exaggerating the situation, whatever floats your boat.

Except it's not exaggeration, you're just being intentionally delusional. What reason would anyone have to keep playing? There's not enough variety in the endgame content to keep anyone hooked. Whether you like it or not, the facts are the facts. MMOs don't survive on one-shot singleplayer campaigns, they survive on endgame content. TOR has none. Now, if they add in a lot of new content, then awesome. But unless they do there will be problems. I do not see how this is exaggerating. I mean what, do you expect everyone to keep playing despite having nothing to do beyond spam the same two raids and the same flashpoints they've already beaten?