Incoming Cartel Market Sale

EricMusco

As for the hypercrates and the GTN, well if those people "trying" to sell off the stuff from the older sets would lower their prices, maby they'd have sold them by now :rolleyes:

Just because something comes from an embargoed pack doesn't mean people want to pay tons of money for it. Some people seem to think that just because something is no longer available it is automatically valuable, but that's not really how it works. Not in MMO's at least.

o i agree but there are some things that are kinda expensive because they are so hard to find and people are buying them. but then you flood the market and make those items almost worthless. take the forward recon armor, before that blast from the past pack came out the helmet, chest, pants, and boots went for a million each!! now you can get the entire set for less than 500K also not everything is priced outrageously and even those things will go down even more due to flooding of the market. its going to affect everything in the GTN

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

o i agree but there are some things that are kinda expensive because they are so hard to find and people are buying them. but then you flood the market and make those items almost worthless. take the forward recon armor, before that blast from the past pack came out the helmet, chest, pants, and boots went for a million each!! now you can get the entire set for less than 500K also not everything is priced outrageously and even those things will go down even more due to flooding of the market. its going to affect everything in the GTN

Naah, they were LISTED at a million each, but they rarely sold... I know because I had one helmet that I wasn't actively trying to sell, but I kept an eye on the market.

And those items were listed for over a million each, for sure, but they stayed listed at that price by the same sellers over and over.

Sometimes I thought one or two had been bought, but then they appeared a few days later again with the same seller. Most likely they had just not been online for a few days to re-list the items.

Alot of people don't seem to understand that what an item is LISTED at is not always the same as what it is SELLING at.

Besides, the "flooding" as you call it, will only last for a month or two... then the prices will be back to their old ridiculous selves.

If your precious rare items haven't sold for the last few months, they probably wouldn't have sold now either.

Naah, they were LISTED at a million each, but they rarely sold... I know because I had one helmet that I wasn't actively trying to sell, but I kept an eye on the market.

And those items were listed for over a million each, for sure, but they stayed listed at that price by the same sellers over and over.

Sometimes I thought one or two had been bought, but then they appeared a few days later again with the same seller. Most likely they had just not been online for a few days to re-list the items.

Alot of people don't seem to understand that what an item is LISTED at is not always the same as what it is SELLING at.

Besides, the "flooding" as you call it, will only last for a month or two... then the prices will be back to their old ridiculous selves.

If your precious rare items haven't sold for the last few months, they probably wouldn't have sold now either.

maybe on your server but on mine that WAS what they were selling, i know because it took me months to complete that set. but the point i think you are missing isnt really the high end super rare items its the other ones.. they WILL be worthless

maybe on your server but on mine that WAS what they were selling, i know because it took me months to complete that set. but the point i think you are missing isnt really the high end super rare items its the other ones.. they WILL be worthless

Yes, about as worthless as they were when they were released.. about as worthless as all the other really common stuff...

I'm not going to feel sorry for you over this no matter how you try to explain it. Cheap and worthless stuff is cheap and worthless. :rolleyes:

Gggggrrrrrreat. Guess they can't keep this stuff embargoed for more than a few weeks. De-valuing this stuff by constantly flooding the markets with old packs just makes the items less valuable to those purchasing the packs. In the end, that's going to result in people purchasing less packs. Yeah, getting stuff off the GTN is great but you need people purchasing the packs to get that stuff into the market in the first place. The investment and re-sale market has become a complete waste of time thanks to them bringing stuff back constantly which just means less incentive to buy packs.

They are doing this because they are seeing a drop in the CM sales. I bet new packs don't sell as much so they are hoping they can get revenue from the old sets. They are hurting themselves in the long run by keep de-valuing their own packs but there is no long run in the mind anyway. I am 100% sure, they will put things like Revan's Set to direct sell in the near future.

They are doing this because they are seeing a drop in the CM sales. I bet new packs don't sell as much so they are hoping they can get revenue from the old sets. They are hurting themselves in the long run by keep de-valuing their own packs but there is no long run in the mind anyway. I am 100% sure, they will put things like Revan's Set to direct sell in the near future.

really? because when eso came out they did a Cartel Market sale too, no offense but isn't this just our way of taking as many people away from wildstar as possible? and I am pretty sure we are not the only game doing this either

really? because when eso came out they did a Cartel Market sale too, no offense but isn't this just our way of taking as many people away from wildstar as possible? and I am pretty sure we are not the only game doing this either

how will that keep people from Wildstar? People who will move to Wildstar are not the CM buyers anyway. they are trying to capture coins from people before housing/guild ships launched for sure but I believe there is a drop in CM sales because of the quality of the latest packs

Exactly. This is Bioware saying "Hey, I know there's a shiny new game out this weekend that you'll probably be playing for a bit. But in the event that you aren't, here's a sale on some stuff you've all requested make a comeback to the Cartel Market."

how will that keep people from Wildstar? People who will move to Wildstar are not the CM buyers anyway. they are trying to capture coins from people before housing/guild ships launched for sure but I believe there is a drop in CM sales because of the quality of the latest packs

trust me, the last pack is not really a problem, I mean, it had banthas!! And it had some very cool stuff in it, the Desler mounts as it is had a very common drop rate so that encouraged people to try their luck and get one. The Koreallis in that thing was not too bad either, and from what I can tell there as a lot of those packs flooding the gtn on my server which means that clearly purchases are not that big of an issue at the moment. Still though I wish it would be more on sale than just hypercrates, I mean last time it was hourly sales of different popular items, that was great day, I got a cheap cheap varactyl as it is. Eitehr way though, as long as packs have a few good items in them, people will always buy them so I do not think there is a drop in cartel pack sales, at least not because of the quality of the last pack.

trust me, the last pack is not really a problem, I mean, it had banthas!! And it had some very cool stuff in it, the Desler mounts as it is had a very common drop rate so that encouraged people to try their luck and get one. The Koreallis in that thing was not too bad either, and from what I can tell there as a lot of those packs flooding the gtn on my server which means that clearly purchases are not that big of an issue at the moment. Still though I wish it would be more on sale than just hypercrates, I mean last time it was hourly sales of different popular items, that was great day, I got a cheap cheap varactyl as it is. Eitehr way though, as long as packs have a few good items in them, people will always buy them so I do not think there is a drop in cartel pack sales, at least not because of the quality of the last pack.

Indeed, that hourly sale was a fun way to get a specific thing. I missed out on the veractyl as I was at work, but who cares, there was other things to get that was too cheap to pass up :)

This sale is well, a bit rich for my blood, well okay I'm too cheap to buy a hypercrate as I use my coins for unlocks mostly. But, I might log in next week sometime to see what has flooded the markets :p

Indeed, that hourly sale was a fun way to get a specific thing. I missed out on the veractyl as I was at work, but who cares, there was other things to get that was too cheap to pass up :)

This sale is well, a bit rich for my blood, well okay I'm too cheap to buy a hypercrate as I use my coins for unlocks mostly. But, I might log in next week sometime to see what has flooded the markets :p

I'm waiting for the next series to splurge all my coins on.

No I meant series as we just had the last pack release of the current Starfighter series. The next series being the Nightlife series.

Ah, that's what I meant. Yeah, the new speeders in there have a very "Star Warsy" look imo. I'm looking forward to that one as well!

Great, this is just what I've been waiting for. Finally some REAL content...sales like this keep the servers filled!

Oh, goodness... just give it a rest, will you? It's just another ploy to clear CCs before GSH. You know darn well this has nothing to do with content and is not even run by the same people.

Just about every week there are new threads started in the forum asking when xyz embargoed pack is coming back on sale... and sometimes it includes some well placed begging or even demanding.

So this is a good thing for several reasons:

1) It addresses the demand for older packs by the players. Veterans here seem to forget that people are coming and going from the game all the time as active players.. and people naturally want access to something that they desire but they missed it due to active player timing, etc. That is Bioware being proactive to player requests.

2) It is an effective tool for drawing many players attention concurrent with the release of a new competing MMO. That's just good marketing in action right there. And most players that are insistent on jumping to the next new MMO will in fact still have some active subscriber time during this sale and I bet even some of the "publicly negative" toward the packs will be taking advantage of said sales (either directly, or indirectly via the GTN).

3) It demonstrates a consistency in marketing of cartel market items..... where items are released, later withdrawn to let the demand saturation settle down, and then re-release them for new sales to newer players or players that for whatever reason missed out on a pack last time.

4) All of this feeds the player economy with a wide variety of gear. And if anything has been demonstrated over the last 18 months it's that there is a sincere and immersive demand for new gear in this game. Yeah.. the Cartel Market steams the crafters to some degree..... but really... "crafting as an in-game business for profit" has always been niche in this game. Good crafters are able to sense and adapt to changes in the market.. and profit regardless of any competition from world drops or CM items. [None of which implies that crafting does not need a complete refresh in this game. the game is heading towards 3 years old.. and it does indeed need a complete overhaul on crafting IMO... and I say this even though I personally do not craft].

As for people alleging that the market is saturated, or it won't hold player interests, yada yada..... speculation absent any objective data across the player base (any single persons view about the evil of cartel packs is just that.. an personal anecdote). Bioware clearly has the raw data and analytics to assess the demand for everything inside this game. Evidenced by the way they set selling and sales pricing and discounts on CM content. So to pretend that they are killing their own market with this is complete nonsense.

Edited by Andryah

3) It demonstrates a consistency in marketing of cartel market items..... where items are released, later withdrawn to let the demand saturation settle down, and then re-release them for new sales.

I call this "The Disney Vault Model."

Edited by BuriDogshin

I call this "The Disney Vault Model."

Exactly. And interestingly enough... it works superbly with consumers on "branded" items (be they virtual or tangible) for Disney and just about every other company that applies the practice.