SWTOR - Playing with Ken and Barbie

Graydon

One full year without a single new operation, daily area or flashpoint outside tactical ones must be peachy indeed.

This statement is deceptive at best and a lie at worst. Oricon released on October 1, 2013.

And of course, it also carries the taint of the "new content I don't like or play (like GSF) isn't new content" shenanigans popular among forum trolls.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't excuse them for the fact that this year has been exceptionally paltry, not to mention that their cloak-and-dagger approach to divulging new info is absolute BS.

I find the latter the most upsetting, if not obnoxious of the bunch.

yeah that last part I understand. And I want more content too granted after all this is my summer break so I was hoping for a bit more to enjoy and burn through.

either way, as for the quote, we actually asked about that on last weeks dev stream. Musco said the reason that they do not release information too much these days is that they want to wait and make sure it solid first. There are so many things that have been promised in this game already ( cross server most famously) that unfortunately due to realities were unable to be done, but people still wanted this stuff and very reasonably got angry when it did not. So now the dev team waits til they have very solid info before going in and informing the playerbase of new info on upcoming content, because they do not want to say something and then have it change because that does not really inspire confidence. But Musco says himself he personally wants to release content and even bothers the development teams all the time asking when he can reveal stuff and when can he have absolutely solid info to give to the players.

not saying its not annoying but still its a lot better than getting promised something will be like this and having that pushed back or removed entirely.

This statement is deceptive at best and a lie at worst. Oricon released on October 1, 2013.

And of course, it also carries the taint of the "new content I don't like or play (like GSF) isn't new content" shenanigans popular among forum trolls.

As usual, you're trying too hard and failing miserably while at it.

Unless Bioware alters their release cadence, not to mention their timetable for Galactic Strongholds, we do know that a full year will go by without a single new operation, daily area or flashpoints outside the tactical ones.

Better luck next time.

yeah that last part I understand. And I want more content too granted after all this is my summer break so I was hoping for a bit more to enjoy and burn through.

either way, as for the quote, we actually asked about that on last weeks dev stream. Musco said the reason that they do not release information too much these days is that they want to wait and make sure it solid first. There are so many things that have been promised in this game already ( cross server most famously) that unfortunately due to realities were unable to be done, but people still wanted this stuff and very reasonably got angry when it did not. So now the dev team waits til they have very solid info before going in and informing the playerbase of new info on upcoming content, because they do not want to say something and then have it change because that does not really inspire confidence. But Musco says himself he personally wants to release content and even bothers the development teams all the time asking when he can reveal stuff and when can he have absolutely solid info to give to the players.

not saying its not annoying but still its a lot better than getting promised something will be like this and having that pushed back or removed entirely.

Sorry but that kind of BS doesn't fly.

I find it hard to believe they are absolutely clueless as to...

- Where the story is heading

- How many planets will be released with 3.0, assuming it's more than one

- The existence of new companion(s)

- The introduction of a new race

Just to mention a few. You can't possibly expect me to believe that.

So DF and DP was released in Oct. Here we are in June with no new OP. As of now it has been 8 months. The next content patch is in Aug so that will be at least 10 months without a new OP. So yeah a year without a new OP.

Edited by Warrgames

oh they are not clueless at all, they do test and see some of this content too. But again, bugs can come up, stuff can take longer to make, delays can happen, some stuff can get pushed back. Remember how the Cathar were promised before the end of 2012 and we got them in 2013? Not trying to justify it, but again, there have been so many letdowns, delays, and cancellations on promises and info before, they might be playing this too safe but again its better than having to go out and explain again why such and such is not going into the game like everyone thought it would after everyone got excited about it.

still though they said something about info coming at the end of this month so in the next week to week and a half we will hopefully get a larger picture on housing ( because won't it go to pts by July either way if the release date is August? Just a thought I have been having)

One full year without a single new operation, daily area or flashpoint outside tactical ones must be peachy indeed.

This statement is deceptive at best and a lie at worst. Oricon released on October 1, 2013. And of course, it also carries the taint of the "new content I don't like or play (like GSF) isn't new content" shenanigans popular among forum trolls.

As usual, you're trying too hard and failing miserably while at it.

Unless Bioware alters their release cadence, not to mention their timetable for Galactic Strongholds, we do know that a full year will go by without a single new operation, daily area or flashpoints outside the tactical ones.

Ah, I see, you have trouble distinguishing the present from the future. Perhaps English isn't you first language? But maybe not: an inability to distinguish what is from what might by could explain a lot of what you post.

Anyway, don't blame me for your intentional omission of the temporal qualifier you now supply, now that you have been called on your shenanigans.

Finally, the taint comment still stands and is irrefutable: there is no question that BW has been supplying new content and is scheduled to continue to do so in advance of the Oricon anniversary.

oh they are not clueless at all, they do test and see some of this content too. But again, bugs can come up, stuff can take longer to make, delays can happen, some stuff can get pushed back. Remember how the Cathar were promised before the end of 2012 and we got them in 2013? Not trying to justify it, but again, there have been so many letdowns, delays, and cancellations on promises and info before, they might be playing this too safe but again its better than having to go out and explain again why such and such is not going into the game like everyone thought it would after everyone got excited about it.

still though they said something about info coming at the end of this month so in the next week to week and a half we will hopefully get a larger picture on housing ( because won't it go to pts by July either way if the release date is August? Just a thought I have been having)

Even so, I'd take yet another disappointment to being left in the dark yet again. After class stories being axed and 2.8 being a gigantic clusterf**k of epic proportions, it can't get much worse.

I think. :o

Ah, I see, you have trouble distinguishing the present from the future. Perhaps English isn't you first language? But maybe not: an inability to distinguish what is from what might by could explain a lot of what you post.

Anyway, don't blame me for your intentional omission of the temporal qualifier you now supply, now that you have been called on your shenanigans.

Finally, the taint comment still stands and is irrefutable: there is no question that BW has been supplying new content and is scheduled to continue to do so in advance of the Oricon anniversary.

Then again, it's not my fault that you have this uncanny inability to apparently follow a debate from its earliest beginnings.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7496925&postcount=203

Your definition of "regular basis" is certainly not the same as mine. At this rate, one full year(!!!) will go by without a single new operation, daily area or flashpoint outside the tactical ones.

In other words, no doubt that the CM most likely saved this game from going bonkers but suggesting or openly stating that it helps to both fund the game and deliver content in a timely fashion is... Well, a gross overstatement.

Regardless, trying to whitewash or downplay that which is FACTUAL based around the premise that I failed later on to use the correct verbal tense is rather pathetic.

And yes, english is not my native tongue. No shame in that.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Then again, it's not my fault that you have this uncanny inability to apparently follow a debate from its earliest beginnings.

You think too much of yourself if you think other people are going to dig back into a thread to find the Secret Decoder Ring that will allow them to determine that what you wrote isn't what you actually intended to convey, or that they commit to memory the details of the same-old-same-old SWTOR bashing that is your stock in trade.

Or you are just making up an excuse for your deceptive postings.

Either explanation seems plausible.

You think too much of yourself if you think other people are going to dig back into a thread to find the Secret Decoder Ring that will allow them to determine that what you wrote isn't what you actually intended to convey, or that they commit to memory the details of the same-old-same-old SWTOR bashing that is your stock in trade.

Or you are just making up an excuse for your deceptive postings.

Either explanation seems plausible.

He's not making things up. People who've been in this thread can vouch for what he said.

Of course not. I agree with you. They do know. It's all mapped out somewhere on a whiteboard with large black lines separating out 2.9, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, etc. with greater certainty and "lock-ins" noted in the earlier numbers, little tildes ~ (maybe, maybe not) beside the tentative traits in the latter numbers. I'd love to get a look at that board; so would you, but that begs the question:

Why do you believe you are entitled to this knowledge? I KNOW you WANT to! So do I! But the issue is not so much a matter of desire, entitlement and "rights." You can talk ad nauseam about how you think this would be a good idea of benefit to all concerned. We do that all the time here. "If only you would do the game my way the future of SW would be bright; that you do not assures it will fail." In fact, you could print that as a summary of all the threads here and just close them down. The rest is pedantic detail.

Now, of course you can say if BW does not concede and start doing what you want you will /quit, and that's all well and good. I actually wish more people who are truly unhappy would do just that, but alas! They tend to keep hanging on regardless.

But I can't help thinking there would be less angst if people reflected on the differences between their desires and BW's obligations. The former does not affect the latter.

Of course not. I agree with you. They do know. It's all mapped out somewhere on a whiteboard with large black lines separating out 2.9, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, etc. with greater certainty and "lock-ins" noted in the earlier numbers, little tildes ~ (maybe, maybe not) beside the tentative traits in the latter numbers. I'd love to get a look at that board; so would you, but that begs the question:

Why do you believe you are entitled to this knowledge? I KNOW you WANT to! So do I! But the issue is not so much a matter of desire, entitlement and "rights." You can talk ad nauseam about how you think this would be a good idea of benefit to all concerned. We do that all the time here. "If only you would do the game my way the future of SW would be bright; that you do not assures it will fail." In fact, you could print that as a summary of all the threads here and just close them down. The rest is pedantic detail.

Now, of course you can say if BW does not concede and start doing what you want you will /quit, and that's all well and good. I actually wish more people who are truly unhappy would do just that, but alas! They tend to keep hanging on regardless.

But I can't help thinking there would be less angst if people reflected on the differences between their desires and BW's obligations. The former does not affect the latter.

You're running for President on the next election? Reason I ask is because you said plenty, without actually stating anything.

Also...

(...) Now, of course you can say if BW does not concede and start doing what you want you will /quit, and that's all well and good. (...)

Glad to see you did your research before spewing random BS.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I actually wish more people who are truly unhappy would do just that, but alas! They tend to keep hanging on regardless.

Yeah, I agree, it's like watching a failed marriage grind on and on and on, with everyone involved being miserable.

Divorcing SWTOR is easy, and just like in RL, sometimes divorce is best for everyone.

Well, he's not wrong. I *want* more class content and I *want* to hear it's coming, but realistically, the game will keep on going whether I get it or not. I won't think its as good a game as it was or could be, but the game has a diverse enough base that it will certainly survive.

You're running for President on the next election? Reason I ask is because you said plenty, without actually stating anything. Also...Glad to see you did your research before spewing random BS.

In other words, since you can't address the issue you attack the person and call names. Very classy, and for you, that's what passes for "debate."

It seems the discussion has been reduced somewhat to what I view as petty bickering. Grant it, it started as a bit of an inflamed issue, but I still think there is a discussion to be had.

Appearance is a trait of the game that I welcome, and CM is a big part of that. I personally believe it is something that is important to a majority of players....and have posted my personal reasons for this on many occasions.

However, as I have said before that does not mean that you alienate your most loyal players (hardcore players), again explained by me in the past, with a drought of end game content.

There needs to be some measure of balance. I think right now the content releases are not equal, and though personally I find this just fine (I love CM content) I understand and acknowledge the concerns of players that do not care for or do not recognize CM releases as content.

So I support the idea of a better balance of release pace when it comes to hardcore and casual content.

To me, the important discussion would be this....can casuals accept the idea that there should be better pacing, and can hardcores accept the idea that appearance is a real part of the game and accept CM content as content as part of an overall balanced released plan.

Edited by LordArtemis

It seems the discussion has been reduced somewhat to what I view as petty bickering. Grant it, it started as a bit of an inflamed issue, but I still think there is a discussion to be had.

Appearance is a trait of the game that I welcome, and CM is a big part of that. I personally believe it is something that is important to a majority of players....and have posted my personal reasons for this on many occasions.

However, as I have said before that does not mean that you alienate your most loyal players (hardcore players), again explained by me in the past, with a drought of end game content.

There needs to be some measure of balance. I think right now the content releases are not equal, and though personally I find this just fine (I love CM content) I understand and acknowledge the concerns of players that do not care for or do not recognize CM releases as content.

So I support the idea of a better balance of release pace when it comes to hardcore and casual content.

To me, the important discussion would be this....can casuals accept the idea that there should be better pacing, and can hardcores accept the idea that appearance is a real part of the game and accept CM content as content as part of an overall balanced released plan.

What is your definition of "hardcore" exactly?

Seems like the primary content and favorite entertainment in SWTOR is buying CM outfits. What a disappointment.:mad:

I guess its a good thing and generates $$$ for Bioware.

Bad thing for the few players (if any are left) that like playing the game for Flashpoints and Operations.

From a business standpoint as a F2P game they would like to make money on the game but not make the source of this a primary function.

You do not need to use the Cartel Market for any reason other than vanity for the most part. The exception to this is if you are F2P and want to purchase unlocks to your account to make things better to play without subbing. This is optional.

Considering the lack of actual content on a continual basis such as Expansions or the like they update the Cartel Market with items.

The majority of the Cartel Market is Vanity Gear. Meaning you don't need it to play at all. I myself on occasion will by a Hypercrate but I don't go crazy on it nor need to do so.

If you are trying to say you want to see more ingame expansion released vs cartel market expansion then why not say that first since you are wrong on how people focus only on the CM vs the actual game?

What is your definition of "hardcore" exactly?

Just my definition, based on what I have seen in the market.

Hardcore players are more concerned with reward, and have reward driven motivations. They like visual representations of their accomplishments, and endeavor to improve themselves as much as possible in almost every way in a game. Hardcore players try to make sure they can squeeze every point of potential about of their performance.

Casual players are more concerned with the gameplay experience, and focus on things like story, secondary content, appearance, housing, minigames. For a casual, the game is entertainment. Casuals tend to have lower concerns with respect to BIS efforts and reward driven content.

Please note how NEITHER definition is an insult to that type of player. Both types of players are vital to the health of a game IMO.

Now, there are industry standards with respect to how hardcore and casual players are defined in the market, but this is my personal view.

Edited by LordArtemis

I don't think enjoying the story has much to do with whether one is a hardcore raider. This is a bioware game and the third instalment of kotor. A lot of players, both hardcore and casual are here entirely because of the story.

Personally, I like looking fine while I slaughter the dread council. ;)

Edited by errant_knight

Artemis, you do realize who started this mudslinging right? It was the drones. This guy points out accurate observations of the game, and to be fair this guy isn't even being harshly critical, and these defenders call him out for shenanigans such as trolling.

Funny thing is, these same guys who are doing this are now complaining about EAware's current practices involving CC in a new thread. I'd call that hypocrisy. ;)

CM is NOT content and should NOT be considered content, but since the dev team wants to milk as many players remaining from the game to earn as much as a profit as possible (>inb4 businesses are out to make a profit :rolleyes:) they're focusing more on cosmetics rather than actual content. Right now SWTOR is not only losing subscribers due to other recent game releases but because the game isn't putting out much content at the moment, and hasn't been since before GSF. Hell many in the PvP community even declare the Galactic Starfighter patch as being "the wasted patch" since it really didn't improve this game at all. I've heard there are a few who play SWTOR solely just for GSF, but they are in the MINORITY and that's a fact.

On a further note, endgame content has been enduring a drought ever since post-release, but it's gotten even worse ever since F2P. At least the previous dev team was focused on story and not worried about milking the playerbase ala hybrid payment model, but ever since the launch of the cash shop the devs only care about the bottom line leaving all other devs with lack of resources, funding, etc.

I believe EAware does NOT support hardcore ANYTHING unless it has to do with the Cartel Market (EA quarterly reports even back-up this assessment) so if you're a moderate or hardcore PvE'er OR PvP'er, I wouldn't particularly suggest this game to you. However, I will say it's great in casual doses.

Disclaimer: I am not blindly bashing the game so please don't pull out that card. Thank you.

No you guys freaked that I don't have a positive opinion.

You activate the Bat Signal and called in the guard. Carry out plan Defend Formation Blue Delta.

Panic and oppress any opinion that is not part of the SWTOR lovefest.

It's kind of funny actually. You really think my belief....me just one person, sharing a single opinion, can bring down and be the demise of this game? Had no idea it was so fragile.

I don't like ketchup , so I never put it on my food. I have to watch others happily enjoying their ketchup. Wish there was a forum I could go on to post about the downfall of food............

Ok, just a few responses to your response, not intended to be a judgement of your posting style on the forum by any means....

Artemis, you do realize who started this mudslinging right? It was the drones. This guy points out accurate observations of the game, and to be fair this guy isn't even being harshly critical, and these defenders call him out for shenanigans such as trolling.

That may be the case....and I am never one to stand in the way of a bit of snark getting thrown around, but IMO...and note its just mine, which means next to nothing....it has gone on long enough, and the subject at hand is not the focus.

Personally, I am less interested in who started it, and more interested in it finding it's conclusion.

CM is NOT content and should NOT be considered content, but since the dev team wants to milk as many players remaining from the game to earn as much as a profit as possible (>inb4 businesses are out to make a profit :rolleyes:) they're focusing more on cosmetics rather than actual content.

I understand this is how you feel, and though I do not agree with it, I recognize this as a concern. I hope I have made that clear in my posts on this subject.

Right now SWTOR is not only losing subscribers due to other recent game releases but because the game isn't putting out much content at the moment, and hasn't been since before GSF. Hell many in the PvP community even declare the Galactic Starfighter patch as being "the wasted patch" since it really didn't improve this game at all. I've heard there are a few who play SWTOR solely just for GSF, but they are in the MINORITY and that's a fact.

Well, one could surmise everything you have said, but I doubt that anyone could state that any contention is a fact unless it has an official source or comes from an official release.

That is not to say your wrong...just that it is not wise to exemplify statements with contentions like "it is a fact" unless you can demonstrate that it is exactly that.

On a further note, endgame content has been enduring a drought ever since post-release, but it's gotten even worse ever since F2P. At least the previous dev team was focused on story and not worried about milking the playerbase ala hybrid payment model, but ever since the launch of the cash shop the devs only care about the bottom line leaving all other devs with lack of resources, funding, etc.

I will only say that my feelings about the prior dev team should be a mystery to very few, at least those that are aware of my post history here. From my perspective the game is far better off under the new dev team. Just my view.

I believe EAware does NOT support hardcore ANYTHING unless it has to do with the Cartel Market (EA quarterly reports even back-up this assessment) so if you're a moderate or hardcore PvE'er OR PvP'er, I wouldn't particularly suggest this game to you. However, I will say it's great in casual doses.

Again, I would indicate that a balance has to be had....and I prefer CM content. I just realize that hardcores are getting a bit restless, and I think it is rightly so.

Disclaimer: I am not blindly bashing the game so please don't pull out that card. Thank you.

This is an odd statement in my eyes...are you saying I would pull that card, or is this a statement to prevent that kind of reply from other community members?

I would hope that my post history demonstrates I would never engage in such incendiary tactics.

Edited by LordArtemis