Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Is SWTOR a 'big-boy' MMO now?

LadyKulvax

A true test of any project (be it a game, some new innovation, in whatever market) is NOT how well it launches, but how well it matures and endures.

A testament to how well SWTOR has matured to date is the very fact that we are down to a handful of perpetual naysayers working the forum.. and the case they continue to make for the games pending doom is two year old information.

SWTOR is either number 2 or number 3 (endless tussle in the internet between EVE and SWTOR) western market MMO. And it's the number 1 flexible access MMO in the western market at this time. So yeah.....it's in the "show".

In fact.. SWTOR appears to be SO GOOD... that even people who spend all their time hating on it and declaring it's failure and pending shuttering in this forum STILL subscribe. :D

Quoted for typical fan boy nonsense and zero source to back it up.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, who the hell cares? I play it because I enjoy it. I also find swords, elf and magician MMOs to be extremely overdone and extremely de-masculating .

Play what you like. If you enjoy SWTOR, who gives a flip if it's "big"?

Honestly, who the hell cares? I play it because I enjoy it. I also find swords, elf and magician MMOs to be extremely overdone and extremely de-masculating .

Play what you like. If you enjoy SWTOR, who gives a flip if it's "big"?

^ Agreed. Who cares it's a *********** game.

Also, I got a two-handed ebony sword in Skyrim the other day and vendored it asap. I'm not certain but it seemed to cause me a passive DPS loss until I ditched it and reequipped my usual lower stat single-hander.

Edited by Joesixxpack

I love SWTOR

GW2 - was fun for 1 month, then got old fast.

ESO - was an absolute huge disappointment. Cancelled sub within first week and hated myself for not getting into beta to test prior to buying digital edition. I would have realized the game was a flop.

Wildstar - so glad I got into the last beta. I determined in 30 minutes that the game was awful and deleted the beta. The implementation of the ideas was poor, while the ideas themselves behind everything they tried to do, was great.

I love SWTOR

GW2 - was fun for 1 month, then got old fast.

ESO - was an absolute huge disappointment. Cancelled sub within first week and hated myself for not getting into beta to test prior to buying digital edition. I would have realized the game was a flop.

Wildstar - so glad I got into the last beta. I determined in 30 minutes that the game was awful and deleted the beta. The implementation of the ideas was poor, while the ideas themselves behind everything they tried to do, was great.

Geezus undies...it's a game. I love my kids. I love my parents. I love my brother. I love my family and friends...SWTOR is just a flipping game....

Geezus undies...it's a game. I love my kids. I love my parents. I love my brother. I love my family and friends...SWTOR is just a flipping game....

Do you sincerely believe he means that he loves TOR with the same passion and intensity that we mean when we say that we love our families?

Sincerely?

I need to know if I should stop taking you serious or not.

Do you sincerely believe he means that he loves TOR with the same passion and intensity that we mean when we say that we love our families?

Sincerely?

Yeah man what the hell everyone knows that MMOs aren't chock full of social inadequates or folks pushing off reality.

Sincerely?

Yes I do. I wholeheartedly believe that there are those people here who take this game far too seriously and love it far more than they should in a very unhealthy way. THIS video made me realize those types of people exist.

/QFT

I agree with the critical analyses here. Spot on! Lets hope that EAware does have something to prepare for another highly anticipated MMO, Wildstar. :(

Wait. Was what you quoted meant to be critical analyses? Because most of it is opinion in my book.

Also, I dare anyone that says this game is like Sims to actually go and play that, because it is nothing like it.

Edited by horrorfaneightys

Yes I do. I wholeheartedly believe that there are those people here who take this game far too seriously and love it far more than they should in a very unhealthy way. THIS video made me realize those types of people exist.

That's awesome and all, but you're being insulting. You know well and good that when people say that they love something, they sure as hell don't mean that they love something in the same way that we love our families.

Least of all, a game. But, you're not a stupid person, so you know that already. So, stop being trolly and insulting.

That's awesome and all, but you're being insulting. You know well and good that when people say that they love something, they sure as hell don't mean that they love something in the same way that we love our families.

Least of all, a game. But, you're not a stupid person, so you know that already. So, stop being trolly and insulting.

I was trying to put things in perspective, not insult. An emotion such as "love" (in the context he used it), seemed over the top to me. I'm guilty of using the word myself, so I assure you, no insult was intended.

Oh gawd, I do!

I sleep with the CE box under my arm, we pillow talk together. Sometimes I let Darth Malgus Statue get in on the action (he's a cuddler).

I take the CE with me everywhere, I even dress it. Some of my friends have drawn unfavorable analogies to the film Lars and the Real Doll, but I just hit them with Force Lightning and they quiet down.

They're not Force-sensitive so they use the Galactic Basic term "tazer", but as a proper Sith I know that it's Force Lightning.

How to explain the neckbeards that can be found on youtube and twitch that haven't called their family in weeks but converse with their cats hourly...

Oh gawd, I do!

I sleep with the CE box under my arm, we pillow talk together. Sometimes I let Darth Malgus Statue get in on the action (he's a cuddler).

I take the CE with me everywhere, I even dress it. Some of my friends have drawn unfavorable analogies to the film Lars and the Real Doll, but I just hit them with Force Lightning and they quiet down.

They're not Force-sensitive so they use the Galactic Basic term "tazer", but as a proper Sith I know that it's Force Lightning.

There's nothing wrong with that....

:confused::eek:

Edited by TUXs

Anyway does "big" really even apply to MMOs anymore? What's the actual competition for that term?

Isn't the whole early-2000s MMO psycho-craze kind of deflated and it's just another specialized genre like single-player RPGs now?

WoW, probably the most significant MMO in Western gaming culture, lost its hype train and population growth a long time ago; even Blizzard's baby is firmly in "flatline" level where it has its loyal subscriber base that's not going away and that's about it.

New MMO launches don't seem to garner nearly the same interest or hype outside gamer microcommunities — I think people have moved on to other gaming pastures (like P2W phone-games they can diddle with between calls at work) and/or realized how monumentally wasteful dedicated MMO play is vs. other RL options.

So I guess for starters it's important to establish what "big" even means in this odd-ball genre nowadays.

I was trying to put things in perspective, not insult. An emotion such as "love" (in the context he used it), seemed over the top to me. I'm guilty of using the word myself, so I assure you, no insult was intended.

I've often used the word in reference to books, movies, games, tech items and just about everything else that garners a good bit of my fondness.

I somehow doubt that you act like this in public when someone mentions how much they love their Iphone.

But, Internet, right?

I use the word love for lots of things I thoroughly enjoy. In fact, I hear people use the word to mean that all the time. It doesn't mean they're obsessed with whatever they "love". Hell, I love coffee. I wouldn't pick a cappuccino over my mother... Ok maybe I'd pick a double caramel espresso over my mother. :D

I use the word love for lots of things I thoroughly enjoy. In fact, I hear people use the word to mean that all the time. It doesn't mean they're obsessed with whatever they "love". Hell, I love coffee. I wouldn't pick a cappuccino over my mother... Ok maybe I'd pick a double caramel espresso over my mother. :D

I've often used the word in reference to books, movies, games, tech items and just about everything else that garners a good bit of my fondness.

Well bully for you two but your personal definition is not held by all, so the question remains...

Well bully for you two but your personal definition is not held by all, so the question remains...

No, not by all, some people are deranged.

But, you don't assume the worst of people simply because you can misconstrue their words in an attempt to make them look bad. That's trolly and insulting and you don't do it without expecting people to call you out on it.

Oh gawd, I do!

ROFLMAO! Good one!

But as to the op, Personally I can't stay yes or no. But I can tell you this. I'm a console gamer who in the past couldn't for the life of me figure out why you mmo players would pay a monthly fee to play a game. Lol Even with both consoles (Xbox 360 & PS3) I never bothered with a "gold/ps+" sub because I'm 99% solo gamer. But when I heard the creators of MY all-time favorite game (kotor) were making a "story driven mmo", I bit....and I've found enough content to keep me subbed for over a year. I built a beast of a computer that's ONLY used to play swtor. Over the last year I've also tried a few other MMO's including STO, WoW, Rift, & Wildstar. And none of them peaked my interest like swtor has. So I mostly do me....leveling alts from 1-50 with some endgame on my two 55's. And I'll probably continue to sub until that "unnamed SW RPG" comes out.

Edited by ImmortalLowlife

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.