Thanks, but no thanks

Gulthaw

After a few days of horrible work I was coming home thinking that I would finally be able to sit down and enjoy TOR, yeah right.

I did my pre-order, pay a good money for it and now the game is telling me that I don't have an active subscription and I have to pay 13€ more!? Are you friggin nuts?

Everyone can see EA hand here, expert in RUINING games (earth & beyond, spore, to name a few).

I'll pay them, only because I respect Bioware (no, I don't respect EA, they don't respect us as their clients so, why should I? ) but imho this is WoW in the Star Wars Universe.

Yeah I'm pissed, I don't like when companies scam me, and charging for the frigin game AND for the first month is a scam.

So, good job EA, making friends... like only you know how.

Edited by Zilrota
removed language

chill the *bleeep* down

they say you need to add a valid subscription... just like it says on the box/agreement you agreed to when buying it online.

You enter it and voila you have 30 days of free play and then you are charged unless you cancel the subscription.

chill the *bleeep* down

they say you need to add a valid subscription... just like it says on the box/agreement you agreed to when buying it online.

You enter it and voila you have 30 days of free play and then you are charged unless you cancel the subscription.

You do need a subscription, sure. But why should you have to offer a Credit card that has $ available on it, or a game card? You get 30 days free, but only if you spend money?

The OP is right.

I did my pre-order, pay a good money for it and now the fkin game is telling me that I don't have an active subscription and I have to pay 13€ more!? Are you friggin nuts?

your card wont be charged until the 30 free days will end. Not sure why they need the subscription, nor do I care. What's important is that your 13e will stay on your card until you run out of free gameplay time.

now go and enjoy the game light hearten :)

You do need a subscription, sure. But why should you have to offer a Credit card that has $ available on it, or a game card? You get 30 days free, but only if you spend money?

The OP is right.

because this has been the MO of every P2P MMO since forever.

And you don't spend any money, you don't even get billed until AFTER your free 30 days are over.

The OP is NOT right.

The OP is right.

No, he's not. You aren't billed until the free month is over.

If you're really paranoid, setup the sub and cancel it right after. It makes no difference.

Edited by Chomag

The OP is right.

Simple, it makes it A LOT more likley that you continue to play (or at least continue to pay) if you dont need to be reminded that you have to pay. Thus having a working card on file is simply common sense for a company that deals with subscriptions. Most subscription based services works like this.

Ever played a MMO before?

EVERY single major MMO has this. The ones that DON'T had it at the beginning, but failed to update their game enough, and just lost players, so they chose another route.

LOTRO, Rift, SWTOR, WoW, Warhammer, Aion, DDO ALL major players in the industry, and ALL started out the same way.

You purchased the game. That purchase came with a gift of 30 days. You activate your 'subscription' by placing a credit card on file. Ever hear of a little company called Netflix? Maybe Hulu? Sony? ANY company with a 'free trial' requires a credit card number on file for future billing. It's SOP. This isn't even new, it's been around for decades now.

I think they mainly need the Credit Card info to validate user accounts. Besides, it has been this way all the time, starting way back with Ultima Online and Everquest. Every single subscription based MMO was asking for this kind of info before letting you play, even if you had bonus time on hand.

No big deal, as several other already pointed out: You can enter the info, then cancel the subcription right away if you want to and contine playing until your free month is up. If at any point you feel like continuing, just renew the subcription.

Not saying its right or wrong, but pretty much every subscription mmo i played that i can recall, did exactly the same thing.

It's not just MMO's that do this. It's been pretty standard for a while on multiple platforms. Basically, anything with a 'trial' and subscription period.

Sony does this when activating the Playstation + stuff

Netflix does this when activating your account

Hulu does this when activating your account

Microsoft (IIRC) does this when activating Gold subs

on and on I could go. All the above have <insertfreetrialdayshere> but in order to get them, you need to actually have credit card info on file.

because this has been the MO of every P2P MMO since forever.

Not really. You used to be able to enter a loadable, but empty credit card number for the first free 30 days. I remember doing this a few times.

Not to mention simply check game card as your choice, and your done. Why should you need a game card to say you intend to use a game card?

I had to go load $15 on my CC to subscribe...for my free 30 days, that they won't bill you for for...30 days.

You don't see how stupid that is?

Don't bother responding explaining or justifying. I understand perfectly. I just think it's shifty.

Edited by Your_dominus

Not really. You used to be able to enter a loadable, but empty credit card number for the first free 30 days. I remember doing this a few times.

Not to mention simply check game card as your choice, and your done. Why should you need a game card to say you intend to use a game card?

EA makes you punch in a actual game card or a credit card with $$ on it.

It's shifty.

You're talking out of your ***. WoW back in 2005 (When I started) required a VALID gametime card code, or credit card info.

Same as every other major MMO I've played. As others have said...you don't billed, unless you have no CC, then you're required to purchase a GTC (Gametime Card).

Once again..this is standard. If you don't like it, go away....please spare us the drama. This thread just shames YOU, not Bioware or anyone else.

Edited by PublicPwnerer

You're talking out of ***. WoW back in 2005 (When I started) required a VALID gametime card code, or credit card info.

Same as every other major MMO I've played. As others have said...you don't billed, unless you have no CC, then you're required to purchase a GTC (Gametime Card).

Once again..this is standard. If you don't like it, go away....please spare us the drama. This thread just shames YOU, not Bioware or anyone else.

Speaking of WoW, it's frankly obvious you come from it. What with your hostility, and lack of social skills.

Grow up.

You feel you can talk all kinds of rude smack because you're hiding behind teh interwebz. It's you who shames your self.

Edited by Your_dominus

I think they mainly need the Credit Card info to validate user accounts.

Were that the case, it shouldn't work with a time card. They're just trying to squeeze that extra bit from folks that are cancelling after the first 30 days. (If you did the first part of the sub, they'd get what, 1 extra dollar? for free. Gets big if it happens to 100k people. And if you have no choice and had to get a 60-day card, that's two extra months)

Annoyed the hell out of me, though, that's for sure.

Speaking of WoW, it's frankly obvious you come from it. What with your histility, and lack of social skills.

Grow up.

You feel you can talk all kinds of rude smack because you're hiding behind teh interwebz. It's you who shames your self.

Dude, people get hostile when others spread false information (they should not but they do). This has been the model for all p2p mmo's ever. They all require a valid credit card, or game time card. Check the box of even WoW, it says valid credit card required for subscription.

Dude, people get hostile when others spread false information (they should not but they do). This has been the model for all p2p mmo's ever. They all require a valid credit card, or game time card. Check the box of even WoW, it says valid credit card required for subscription.

No, I understant it. What some fail to see, is the humor in it, that's all.

Saying I think it's shisty doesn't equate to I don't understand.

Why should you need a game card, to say you intend to use a game card? Signing up is one thing, having to pay is another.

I specifically remember signing up for WoW with a empty, loadable CC. Why should it be financially validated as long as it's active?? It's not billing it.

It's not a free 30 days. Its more like buy 2 get one free. Or something to that effect.

BTW your post was far less vile that the previous guy. But why you defend him is beyond me. It's not hard to not spew obnoxious venom when you respond.

Edited by Your_dominus