Is SWTOR still canon?

Apophis_

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was rewatching the clone wars TV series (which is canon) and they explicitly refer to the rule of two, making it, and by extension Darth Bane and the Jedi Civil War, canon.

Darth Bane, the character and the Rule of Two was made canon. The Jedi Civil War was never mentioned and is still, not canon. Bane the character saw a major retcon in terms of appearance. It is safe to say that the non-canon EU version of his life and adventures remained non-canon, ESPECIALLY considering the "Legends" tags on the books now.

http://i.imgur.com/MsLOO50.jpg

Edited by TheBBP

Pretty much everything EU doesn't exist any more and they said any character they do use will be changed. By that right now even Darth Bane doesn't exist. Some Darth that created the rule of two does.

I've pretty much given up on Star Wars any way. They've messed up so much about it with no thought to what the actual impact is and when it does fail they blame the market or everyone being a fanboy. Not that they've actually done anything wrong. If you make junk it isn't your fault it is the customers not understanding your greatness.

Edited by Sorwen

Pretty much everything EU doesn't exist any more and they said any character they do use will be changed. By that right now even Darth Bane doesn't exist. Some Darth that created the rule of two does.

I've pretty much given up on Star Wars any way. They've messed up so much about it with no thought to what the actual impact is and when it does fail they blame the market or everyone being a fanboy. Not that they've actually done anything wrong. If you make junk it isn't your fault it is the customers not understanding your greatness.

Darth Bane is in Clone Wars so he exists in the Disney Canon.

• 3 weeks later...
I was doing some random browsing (what else is there to do when you're supposed to be going to bed?) And found something interesting. Apparently Darth Revan very nearly became canon during the episode Ghosts of Mortis when he and Darth Bane would have been shown as an influence on the Son. Too bad they cut the scene.

• 3 weeks later...
I hate to start this up again,but with marvel comics producing the comics that set up the next movie and as such is canon. They have also republished a horde of Dark horses comics including Knights of the old republic. While this doesn't make the game canon, am I right in thinking that it does make the setting(and say Revan) canon. Seeing as they said anything published now is canon. Edited by Seignal

I hate to start this up again,but with marvel comics producing the comics that set up the next movie and as such is canon. They have also republished a horde of Dark horses comics including Knights of the old republic. While this doesn't make the game canon, am I right in thinking that it does make the setting(and say Revan) canon. Seeing as they said anything published now is canon.

"Legends"

I hate to start this up again,but with marvel comics producing the comics that set up the next movie and as such is canon. They have also republished a horde of Dark horses comics including Knights of the old republic. While this doesn't make the game canon, am I right in thinking that it does make the setting(and say Revan) canon. Seeing as they said anything published now is canon.

Re-releasing =/= Publishing.

The whole point of the "Legends" imprint was to be able to continue printing the old stories from the EU while making it clear that they're not part of the new Canon. The Dark Horse comics (except for Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir, which is Canon) are all "Legends" (as can be seen from the banner at the very bottom of the re-release pictured here).

Edited by DarthDymond

How is the money spent on EU stuff "worth nothing"?

I actually agree with his sentiment, and disagree with yours.

If you are investing in an imaginary world with your time and money, then you expect the creators of that imaginary world to claim that imaginary world is real by its own internal standards. Discarding any and all EU is absolutely and 100% not that, it's dirty. If just became fanfic.

And for what it is worth, SWTOR will still be canon... is my prediction. Unlike all the "Luke marries this girl, and we follow around Solo kids forever", SWTOR's whole premise sets up plotlines that lead INTO the movies, in a vague sense. We have shots of someone in seven who looks like they might have dug up Revan's helmet- if they do us that kindness, then SWTOR will be canon without having to put Revan on the screen. That would be pretty much perfect.

Trashing the future EU was mean, but they had to do it to write sequels. Trashing the past EU would just be mean with absolutely zero redeeming features. If they go out of their way to have the movie make some claim that tarnishes SWTOR/KOTOR just for some throwaway momentary feels, then they are truly crappy as writers. It's super easy to not do that, it would be absolute hatred for the actual fanbase.

only you can decide if the money spent was worth it in terms of enjoyment received from spending it.

No, it's a false sale. Much of that enjoyment was derived from finding out what is really happening in the Star Wars EU. For them to retcon it all to the trashcan changes the purchase retroactively.

It's probably been posted before, but here's the pressrelease again; http://www.starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page

Republishing old EU material after April 25th does not make it canon. Similarly, SoR coming out after doesn't make Swtor canon either.

It's all 'Legends' now, although you can make the logical argument that the events in Swtor can be treated as canon as long as a new officially sanctioned publication doesn't contradict or rewrite them.

If the new movie has a historical segment that describes an entirely different history of the jedi, republic, sith and the galaxy... then that will be the only canon, no matter how we may feel about it.

How much that matters to you is another question entirely, of course. :)

I for one consider the stories and dialogue from the Kotor games, and most of the class stories of Swtor, much more interesting and intelligently written than anything the movies ever managed, let alone the by times atrocious Clone Wars series.

Them not being official canon does not diminish my enjoyment of them.

In the end, you choose what canon to believe in. :)

Who cares if TOR is canon, anyway? I'd never want them to make it any bigger than it is, because then it would fall prey to the Lucas-ism of 'the Republic is pure good, the Empire is pure evil and there's no middle ground'.

Agreed.

SWTOR already is a little heavy with a rather simplistic juxtaposition of good and evil, I always thought.

And don't mention the L word please, the man that gave us the prequel movies and Crystal Skull should no longer be considered an authority on anything really. :p

I sincerely hope he no longer has a say in any of it.

Edited by wolfyde

Agreed.

SWTOR already is a little heavy with a rather simplistic juxtaposition of good and evil, I always thought.

And don't mention the L word please, the man that gave us the prequel movies and Crystal Skull should no longer be considered an authority on anything really. :p

I sincerely hope he no longer has a say in any of it.

Aye, it is, but you can at least choose which side you fall on. My first ever char to 55 was a very Light Sided Sorcerer who's very close to Light V atm.

Aye, it is, but you can at least choose which side you fall on. My first ever char to 55 was a very Light Sided Sorcerer who's very close to Light V atm.

True. I also found light side sith warrior a very well written example of how you can adhere to one ideology without being a stereotypical bloodthirsty stark raving lunatic :)

Another way to look at it is this: if you made some fanfic, and wrote it very well, it would probably not garner the attention of an official plotline. That's what "Legends" means- fanfic.

In essence that has always been the case, whether you label it "Expanded Universe" 'Legends" or "Fanfic".

"Canon" in itself is such a vague terminology, depending how narrow you want to set the boundaries.

Are the works published by Cristopher Tolkien, heavy edits of his father's unfinished notes, to be considered canon to the Middle Earth universe?

You could argue that canon is only what comes from the mind of the original creator, in which case only the 6 films and parts of the Clone Wars will ever be canon.

Or you could say canon is whatever the current holder of the copyrights decides it to be, which is more or less the case now.

Purists from the first example will frown as much upon the second as the second will frown upon those who consider all EU stuff canon, etc etc.

In essence that has always been the case, whether you label it "Expanded Universe" 'Legends" or "Fanfic".

"Canon" in itself is such a vague terminology, depending how narrow you want to set the boundaries.

Are the works published by Cristopher Tolkien, heavy edits of his father's unfinished notes, to be considered canon to the Middle Earth universe?

You could argue that canon is only what comes from the mind of the original creator, in which case only the 6 films and parts of the Clone Wars will ever be canon.

Or you could say canon is whatever the current holder of the copyrights decides it to be, which is more or less the case now.

Purists from the first example will frown as much upon the second as the second will frown upon those who consider all EU stuff canon, etc etc.

That being said, what the current rights-holders consider Canon is relevant to the extent that it indicates what storylines they are planning to continue producing into the future.

The only reason I care at all about the Canon/Legends split is that it has cancelled all plans for future works set in the Legends continuity (The Sword of the Jedi novels and Legacy comics for example).

That being said, what the current rights-holders consider Canon is relevant to the extent that it indicates what storylines they are planning to continue producing into the future.

The only reason I care at all about the Canon/Legends split is that it has cancelled all plans for future works set in the Legends continuity (The Sword of the Jedi novels and Legacy comics for example).

Are writers and content creators effectively not allowed by Disney to produce any continuations of their, now Legends, storylines?

Or are the creators themselves no longer interested in continuing because they expect it will be more profitable to write new sanctioned canon material?

The end result for us as fans is the same of course, it simply changes who we can be mad at :p

Are writers and content creators effectively not allowed by Disney to produce any continuations of their, now Legends, storylines?

Or are the creators themselves no longer interested in continuing because they expect it will be more profitable to write new sanctioned canon material?

The end result for us as fans is the same of course, it simply changes who we can be mad at :p

My understanding (base on a Q&A a LucasBooks exec was doing on the day of the announcement) is that the decision to not produce any new works in the Legends continuity was part of the overarching company plan to start fresh on continuity and label the old works Legends.

I believe most Star Wars novels have been done as write-for-hire jobs originating with LucasBooks/DelRay (although collaborations with the writers themselves will certainly significantly shape the final product).

We have shots of someone in seven who looks like they might have dug up Revan's helmet- if they do us that kindness, then SWTOR will be canon without having to put Revan on the screen. That would be pretty much perfect.

And all they have to do is show Revan is a woman, and that effectively makes the original KotOR games canon while putting SWtOR into "Legends" status.

Well there has been some misconception in regards to the EU and the SW canon - including all those previous "tiers" of canonocity. Almighty George always considered EU "non-canon" and stated multiple times that only the events in the movies is what happened in the Star Wars universe. He considered the EU as occurring in an "alternate universe" with no relation to the works he produced himself.

The only reason there was canon, and the tiers, for the EU to begin with was to attempt to keep the EU organized in terms of story and timeline in and of itself. In all reality, the actual "canon" of Star Wars has always just been "official" canon and "non-"canon. What Disney did was just make it official that those were the only "tiers" of canon for SW.