A Flexible Companion Customization System

Are you sure you should bump this many times? I like the idea of companion customization too, but if people don't say anything then they might not be as interested as you or I. I am not complaining about your bumping, just a friendly be careful. I'm not entirely sure if there are rules for bumping. :D

As I read the forums and reddit, the ideas in this thread are getting more and more popular, so I think the bumps are warranted. This thread has lots of links to those conversations to show that player-base desire for these features appears to be widespread. I think it would different if we had a yellow post chime in and say "never going to happen", because many people would just drop the topic. Since that hasn't happened, I keep seeing more and more people request for some sort of companion system changes, usually either regarding visual or combat customization, or adding new companions to fill the gaps (gaps being whatever the individual desires that isn't out there) that the existing companions do not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My dream companion customization system would be a tab on the Appearance Changer where we pay in credits for one character to have companion A look one way, and CC for all characters with Companion A to have an option for Companion A have the same customization.

And then all the in-specie options available for that companion to choose from. Maybe I like how most of Mako looks, but I loath the hair, well, then all I would need to change would be the hair. Pay a few thousand credits, and look! A credit sink!

IMHO it would also be nice if we were able to implement the changes upon receipt of the new companion. As it is now (just for example) ... Kira Carsen can not be customized until a player is able go to another planet some time after becoming a part of the team.

It might even be a good idea to see if it is possible to make the changes before meeting her (or any new companion) in game. Would it be possible to make some of the essential changes when generating a new character?

(just an idea. I'm not sure how practical it would be).

If they ever get to the point where this becomes a reality ... I sincerely hope that they also add more interactions with companions as well. Some of that could (or should) be centered around strongholds. It seems like once a certain level of communication is reached ... it's pretty much done! Some of it done at an earlier stage (or character level) than others. Certainly by the time a player is at level 45-50 it is finished.

Would it be a lot work: unquestionably.

Benefits: All you have to do is read any one of about 3 sections is the forum board and you can see that a lot of folks are really looking for this. Customers that are more than likely to continue the game and have a greater likelihood to spend additional cash.

At any rate. I'm not going thermal on any one. IMHO these are some areas that I personally had hopped to see at the beginning. Some of these features are available on lesser games such as STO. ( I have a LTS with that game but spend most of my spare time that I have available to "game" on SWTOR).

IMHO SWTOR is a great game with a solid foundation. There are some areas that need a little help. Companions, customization, interaction (and some just plain fun) in this area could also be a clear cut win-win for the company and the players who enjoy that part of the game.

Yes, I will pay double-sub to see more companion content after Corellia (lol, I even have a draft of a post requesting post-Corellia wet-dream content additions still sitting in my folders), but the message is consistent from BioWARE: it is not going to happen. Even with the class stories seem to be making a return in a small cautious way, there seem to be absolutely no intent whatsoever to update companion content in Chapter 4. So, I am resigned to enjoying what I can and begging for what I think might be remotely probably. And playing with Treek upon hitting level 50 on all toons (joy, I know).

I'd love something like a Companion Customization Terminal. Don't know how much work it would be since many of the companions aren't of the base player races and don't have the options that a 'player species' would have, but I would spend cc on an item/system such as this.

It would be great if EAware would make a CCT and then open up the basic Companion Mods for free to play (Perhaps for a small cc cost) . Scrapping the Companion Mods seems wasteful and this would make both useful.

On the fence as far as race changes go. Some of the Companion stories would be a bit odd if you swapped your companions race.

Edited by Cylluz

Yes, I will pay double-sub to see more companion content after Corellia (lol, I even have a draft of a post requesting post-Corellia wet-dream content additions still sitting in my folders), but the message is consistent from BioWARE: it is not going to happen. Even with the class stories seem to be making a return in a small cautious way, there seem to be absolutely no intent whatsoever to update companion content in Chapter 4. So, I am resigned to enjoying what I can and begging for what I think might be remotely probably. And playing with Treek upon hitting level 50 on all toons (joy, I know).

IMHO they could update the content without going too far. Some might review your suggestion as a bit too explicit.

However, it is long over due for additional interaction, content, and customization updating. A wider variety or choice as to who we chose as companions (the smuggler is a good example of some bad choices we MUST use) would make that entire experience a lot more fun. If it were not for the fact that the smuggler was my first toon and the one my login name is under .. I would delete that entire character out of existence. I still have yet to finish that toon. (not even close to level 50).

At any rate: even if they took some of the dialogue of the others and stretched them out to level 50 (in stead of running them through in groups all at once) ... that would be a place to start.

Just saying: there are avenues to look at. And while it may seem like a long shot, IMHO the companion update/customization could very well be a good place to look at expanding the game.

I generally do not have problems with the companions (I love the Smuggler, lol!). I normally don't like one or two in each crew, but one becomes my clear fav and I roll with him or her and check out the others.

I am used to after years and years of playing Bio games that I never get the romantic choices I want, so I just... let it go :)

But yes, adding content in Chapter 4 would be marvelous! Honestly, I do not want any more new companions, I just want more content for the existing ones!

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking that once Togruta becomes a playable race, this would also open Ashara to start looking different from every second Asahra in the game! Lol, you know I am playing an M!In now, right? ;)

This thread referenced for Ashara specifically:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=775216

Edited by DomiSotto

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'd love to have fully customizable companions within the same species, even if BW thinks that going as far as species change is too much. But if it were up to me I'd have the total CC available so I could make some companions look like my mains and feel like I had a group together.

• 3 weeks later...