The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Top 10 under-rated Force Users

Aurbere

I really like this thread. I propose the following method moving forward subject to OP/posters' thoughts.

Possibly instead of listing names we should pick one of our nominations and argue why they should be #1. In the construction of our arguments, we could state the misconceptions/under-valuing of that character either by citing some blogs/sites, quote fellow posters, or just stating a general idea. Then the argument would address why this under-valuing is not true and explain why the way they died, overshadowed, etc is not a statement against their power (ie Fisto dying quickly is a statement to Sidious' power not a statement to Fisto's lack of power). Then proceed in the usual manner of listing feats that show just how powerful said character is in comparison to the under-valuing that takes place.

Take note I also think Plagueis should also be included in the pool. Maybe even Sidious as well.

That's what I was thinking.

@Beni. That was back when Nyriss had awesomesauce flowing through her veins because she beat Meetra and Scourge back when we took it at face value.

Edited by Aurbere

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aubere, would you consider putting in the Son, Daughter, and Father into the pool on candidates. I feel they were extremely under-rated due to the short screen time they all had even when evidence suggests they were most likely some of the most powerful force users in existence.

Edit: Nyriss will always have awesomesauce flowing through her veins. She died because she couldn't H2F fast enough.

Edited by ShadowMudkip

Aubere, would you consider putting in the Son, Daughter, and Father into the pool on candidates. I feel they were extremely under-rated due to the short screen time they all had even when evidence suggests they were most likely some of the most powerful force users in existence.
Yeah... I'm pretty sure that anyone who have seen the Mortis arc can possible underestimate them.

Most of the people on list seem 'underrated' because they appeared in a film or game, which always misrepresents reality or from books/comics. Although, Malak is easily #1

Ugh, don't even joke about Revan, im so tired of hearing that name... Gosh darn Kotor 1 scrubs :mad:

Githany

Can you elaborate your nomination? I feel like there was not enough "screen-time" of her to explore her Force powers or enough time for fellow fans to underrate her worth.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Darth Bane trilogy fan and really enjoy all its characters. But aside from being preferred by Kaan because of her changing sides, she was never the top student at the academy and has no combat/Force feats that I know of.

The fan-boy in me wants to see Kyle Katarn on the list, or at least in the pool of candidates.

He was skilled enough to have beaten Jerec and his cronies with little training then went on to become the Battlemaster of Luke's order, but everyone I talk to says he sucks because he lost to Caedus!

If only he didn't slip on that banana peel during the fight! XD

The fan-boy in me wants to see Kyle Katarn on the list, or at least in the pool of candidates.

He was skilled enough to have beaten Jerec and his cronies with little training then went on to become the Battlemaster of Luke's order, but everyone I talk to says he sucks because he lost to Caedus!

If only he didn't slip on that banana peel during the fight! XD

Well Kyle just hasn't really done anything impressive, I mean beating Jerec and his guys is an ok feat, nothing spectacular but really ESB Luke could probably beat them. He did also beat some Vong but in the grand of it, that's not something that could be entirely out of reach for other characters.

His first real fight against an actual Sith Lord, he almost lost a leg so....yeah.

Caedus isn't exactly the Standard for Sith Lords.

Not the point though. Point being he was fighting against a more skilled opponent than anything Kyle has fought before, if Kyle really was as good as his status is led to believe, then he should have been able to do more. Aside from that instance, that is his only feat of going up against a more than credible opponent.

Just because he is titled as Battlemaster, that doesn't count for squat when there isn't anything to back up the reputation.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

My main reason for nominating Githany is because I feel like she did get the short end of the stick when it comes to explaining, or demonstrating her powers. She was undone by her own ambition, and her fluid allegiances, but it is worth keeping in mind that while the rest of the Sith Lords refused to train Bane after his loss to Sirak, and Githany, though still an apprentice at this time herself, took it upon herself to train him in the ways of the force while he studied his lightsaber techniques under Kas'im. This is after we keep in mind that as a Jedi Padawan, she actually lost contact with the Force for a time, developing metal barriers to protect heself from a power she couldn't comprehend, though she did eventually tear those barriers down and learn to harness the Force again. She was very manipulative, and with as often as she changed sides, I would expect that she had some proficiency in the Force Persuade, though as far as I can recall, this was never explicitly stated Plus, in addition to her lightsaber, she's one of the few characters in the expanded universe we ever see use a light whip.

Not the point though. Point being he was fighting against a more skilled opponent than anything Kyle has fought before, if Kyle really was as good as his status is led to believe, then he should have been able to do more. Aside from that instance, that is his only feat of going up against a more than credible opponent.

Just because he is titled as Battlemaster, that doesn't count for squat when there isn't anything to back up the reputation.

You could say the same for Malak though, who seems to be ranked pretty high on the list. And I feel that beating Jerec and his buddies is a better feat than most think, since Jerec himself seems to be a bit under-rated. It's not like the guy was a pushover, beating a guy Yoda partially trained and gave the rank of master to (Qu Rahn) as well as being one of the more powerful and higher ranked members of the empire even if he wasn't as strong as Vader. ESB Luke may have been able to do the same, but he is also the son of the chosen one and had more training from Obi-Wan and Yoda than Kyle did with Rahn.

And even in the case of Caedus it may have been a loss for Kyle, but I remember Caedus saying something similar to him wishing that he had his head or something as a trophy from a decent opponent. Still pretty good praise for the second most powerful guy in the galaxy.

You could say the same for Malak though, who seems to be ranked pretty high on the list. And I feel that beating Jerec and his buddies is a better feat than most think, since Jerec himself seems to be a bit under-rated. It's not like the guy was a pushover, beating a guy Yoda partially trained and gave the rank of master to (Qu Rahn) as well as being one of the more powerful and higher ranked members of the empire even if he wasn't as strong as Vader. ESB Luke may have been able to do the same, but he is also the son of the chosen one and had more training from Obi-Wan and Yoda than Kyle did with Rahn.

And even in the case of Caedus it may have been a loss for Kyle, but I remember Caedus saying something similar to him wishing that he had his head or something as a trophy from a decent opponent. Still pretty good praise for the second most powerful guy in the galaxy.

While right Luke did have more training....but that just makes it easier for Luke, Kyle didn't have any real Jedi training compared to ESB Luke, he had more military experience given he was with the Empire as a Stormtrooper. But even still...the fact Kyle had little actual Jedi training and he was still able to best Jerec.

Malak being on the list....dunno, but ok...though I always found him to be rather meh.

Anywho moving on, i'll nominate Darth Bane for a spot, if no one else has.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

It's very relative, so the best thing, I think, is everyone interested should present it's lists and, through debate, we pick from each list the names most people approves. And I agree with Malak, perhaps not as #1, but he deserves an spot on the list.

- Revan

- Darth Nihilus

- Sith Emperor

- Darth Zannah

- Qui-Gonn Jin

- Mace Windu

- Darth Maul

- Savage Opress

- Plo Koon

- Kit Fisto

- Mother Talzin

- Galen Marek

- Luke Skywalker

- Obi-Wan Kenobi

- Darth Vader

Edited by marcelo_sdk

I nominate Darth Nyriss for second position in this list.

Provide some evidence to support Nyriss being an under-rated character so that we can best judge her in comparison to other nominations. Simply nominating a character isn't going to get us anywhere (that goes for everyone).

Simply nominating a character isn't going to get us anywhere (that goes for everyone).

Hey! Trust me, I was going to bump this thread and give some real analysis when things slow down in a few days. The large Exar Kun post in the other thread I made doesn't apply to my aforementioned time constraints as I know all that stuff off the top of my head. What can I say, Kun is the man!

Gonna nominate the Jedi Exile Meetra Surik.

Have to agree with Dooku, the fact that he can go toe to toe with Yoda on several occasions (despite being beaten every time he at least held his own.) and live to tell about it.

I mean this is Yoda, the guy basically waves his hands and tells Ventress "Your out of you league kid, get lost before I have to hurt you" and she bolts.

Gonna nominate the Jedi Exile Meetra Surik.

Have to agree with Dooku, the fact that he can go toe to toe with Yoda on several occasions (despite being beaten every time he at least held his own.) and live to tell about it.

I mean this is Yoda, the guy basically waves his hands and tells Ventress "Your out of you league kid, get lost before I have to hurt you" and she bolts.

Meetra Surik is a good nomination. For sure.