There Needs to be SERIOUSLY Better Policing of the RP Servers

Timarick

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it's impossible for a name to exist on other servers as well? oô

Aside from that, the names he used were an example. They were merely meant to represent a certain kind of names that you, in fact, tend to see a lot on RP servers. Source: I play on one. :)

You have a problem with people names? Seriously? I am not an original guy by any means, I use a lot of names from other mediums such as Killzone, Villains from comics and such. You know, already made up names.

I play an RP server mainly because I figured it'd be more laid back in terms of Flashpoints and PvP and such. Cause this is my first MMO ever and I wanted a server that'd allow more mistakes without being crapped on by players. And so far I've found the RP servers to be more laid back to mistakes, of course you find tools everywhere, and thus made learning MMO mechanics and this games mechanics a lot easier.

You can't police non RP names that is by far the dumbest thing I've read on these forums, by far. If you don't like someones name continue to be high and mighty and ignore them, whatever helps you sleep at night.

The thing is - who decides what's ok? Are names from certain sources ok, but not others? Because I bet someone somewhere would call it immersion breaking if I called my character Ophelia. Bioware has rules - if you see someone breaking them, report them. They do deal with them. As much as I understand it must be frustrating to see silly names, I really don't like the idea of other players dictating what names are ok.

I really don't like the idea of other players dictating what names are ok.

That would never happen anyway.

When it comes to that kind of names it's a matter of personal opinion, I suppose - hence why most naming policies in games that actually have naming policies allow the Game Masters a certain freedom to make their decision.

I personally would say that it depends on how iconic the name is. If I see a player named Sephiroth I would see that name as unfitting. Ophelia on the other hand would be fine for me. More than fine actually, out of the top of my head I don't see where you got that name from, apart from maybe a "how to name your child" book :p

That would never happen anyway.

When it comes to that kind of names it's a matter of personal opinion, I suppose - hence why most naming policies in games that actually have naming policies allow the Game Masters a certain freedom to make their decision.

I personally would say that it depends on how iconic the name is. If I see a player named Sephiroth I would see that name as unfitting. Ophelia on the other hand would be fine for me. More than fine actually, out of the top of my head I don't see where you got that name from, apart from maybe a "how to name your child" book :p

It's from Hamlet. I had to look up Sephiroth lol.

As it is, if names like Sirfapsalot are reported, they are dealt with so I'm not sure they need another policy. Perhaps though, naming violations that are reported on RP servers need to be given priority, as it could be seen as trolling.

Edited by horrorfaneightys

((re-post from the Suggestion Box to a larger view, despite the fact I know what people are already going to say, but I will post this here anyways...)

Not that you guys righteously give much about the RP community, but this is getting obscenely out of hand...

Why make an RP server when nobody follows the RULES of an RP server? You know where people actually go to make characters, play out the story beyond standard PVE and PVP, and don't have to watch whenever they walk around people like "Sithborn" and "Spider-Man" and "Sirfapsalot" and "Hulk Hogan" and every other kind of stupid possible name you can list off known to mankind. I cannot tell you how long my ignore list is just with people with incredibly stupid names like the handful I have listed above. And not just on ONE toon, but ALL of them.

If players want to PVE, that's great, but if you want to do that, go to a regular PVE server. Even when you /ignore the people with the stupid names, they don't just magically turn invisible and there is the occasional chance you can still re-que with them, as rare as that is. There needs to be better moderators (that are devs) that police these stupid names and filter them out of the game because if you can do that by filtering out "Han Solo" and "Luke Skywalker" then you can do it for a guy that calls himself "Darth Buttf'ck McGoose."

Also, the regulation of RP is TERRIBLE. We are given ZERO RP events that aren't done by the game devs that further the story and only see the VERY occasional news report here on site. But how does that pertain to the roleplay community? That's up to the players to determine and wrangling people is such a pain to do that! I mean creating free RP instances within phases would be nice, GSH seems to be a great step towards this idea too, but really, the servers have gotten ZERO love to the point they are just another PVE or PVP server, that the tagline of them being "RP" or "RP-PVP" server seems obscenely redundant.

That is nothing to say of the lack of QL features like optional chat bubbles, hood toggle, sitting in chairs (not just a chair emote) or the laundry list of things that the community has asked for and only got breadcrumbs instead of a proper steak and potato dinner the same way the PVP and PVE crowd have gotten. I LOVE the PVE and enjoy the PVP, but the RP is the only reason I still play this game and I am not the only one in my own personal community who feels this way.

Is it too much to ask for better policing of these servers for this portion of the community? You clearly made these servers FOR the RPers and yet at every turn have given them next-to-NO attention and this is getting extremely out of hand. I mean if you don't want to give the RPers more toys to play with on par with that of the PVE and PVP crowds, fine, but it gets really dis-heartening when I am on an RP server (reserved for those who ROLEPLAY) and yet I still see a stupid little Sith calling himself "Spider-Man" and allowed to get away with it! And filling up my ignore list with thousands of players isn't going to change the fact I still have to see these players and more walk by whenever I decide to go on the Fleet to do something.

.. Don't cry guy, come on Begeren Colony Server, we follow the rules of Roleplay and we even said hello (wooow). :eek:

Edited by CptLeimbreje

Naming rules aren't needed in my opinion. What would help were additional rules for behavior on RP Servers, that are enforced by GMs. So that stuff like intentional disturbing of roleplay can be prosecuted. Stuff like that sadly happens, although I'm not quite sure how often it actually happens in SWTOR - I haven't had that many RP encounters yet and the ones I had went over without any problems.

Back in my WoW days however there were more than enough people who would intentionally group up to disturb RP events. Spamming AoE effects, sitting on the largest possible mounts and placing themselves in such a way that the roleplayers were obsctructed, spamming of emotes and stuff like "lol"... I'd be very surprised if that doesn't happen in SWTOR as well, in one way or another.

However, prosecuting that would require Bioware to train their GMs to spot behavior like that, if it gets reported. It would also be a lot more work to police stuff like that, than normal tickets already provide (I know for a fact that GMs in WoW were pretty unhappy when they got tickets from RP servers...). Because of that, and considering that the RP community is a rather small part of the general customer base, I seriously doubt that something like that will ever be implemented.

I would suggest that everyone on OP's server submits their character name for him/her to vet. We'll delete every character that OP isn't happy with. Then OP can submit their character's names for the rest of the population to view and agree to delete any that the rest of us find immersion breaking/ offensive / silly or whatever. When we're all done. Then everyone will be happy no?

OTOH use /ignore and turn off nameplates and go somewhere no-one else goes. Might I suggest the furthest reaches off Voss or Alderaan or something.

Naming rules aren't needed in my opinion. What would help were additional rules for behavior on RP Servers, that are enforced by GMs. So that stuff like intentional disturbing of roleplay can be prosecuted. Stuff like that sadly happens, although I'm not quite sure how often it actually happens in SWTOR - I haven't had that many RP encounters yet and the ones I had went over without any problems.

Back in my WoW days however there were more than enough people who would intentionally group up to disturb RP events. Spamming AoE effects, sitting on the largest possible mounts and placing themselves in such a way that the roleplayers were obsctructed, spamming of emotes and stuff like "lol"... I'd be very surprised if that doesn't happen in SWTOR as well, in one way or another.

However, prosecuting that would require Bioware to train their GMs to spot behavior like that, if it gets reported. It would also be a lot more work to police stuff like that, than normal tickets already provide (I know for a fact that GMs in WoW were pretty unhappy when they got tickets from RP servers...). Because of that, and considering that the RP community is a rather small part of the general customer base, I seriously doubt that something like that will ever be implemented.

.. I do not agree on the "Spamming", because people have the right to make their advertisements about their Guilds or sell.

Today people feel judged, threatened or they see spam everywhere (not abused). :confused:

Edited by CptLeimbreje

.. I do not agree on the "Spamming", because people have the right to make their advertisements about their Guilds or sell.

Today people feel judged, threatened or they see spam everywhere (not abused). :confused:

Yeah, my post never mentioned advertisements or selling. Try reading it again.

/signed

Playing on an RP Server and a roleplayer of 11 years, I have to admit it gets hard to get in the mood to RP when you see names like FattyMcCheeseburger or XxNoobKillaXx running around. Something simple like name enforcement would be awesome for RP Servers because let's face it, yes we aren't exactly a high portion of the community, but we pay our subs just like everybody else. We have just as much right to ask for our gaming experience and time on SWTOR to not be ruined just because someone is too stupid/ignorant/lazy/or just feels like trolling to read or even care that they are ruining someone else's gaming experience by coming in with stupid names. And honestly, policing the RP Servers for names and actually responding to any tickets regarding trolls would be awesome

There are plenty of PVE and PVP non RP servers for the names like XXImapwnyouXX to go and enjoy their time. There's really no excuse to roll up on an RP server to ruin anyone elses time in game like that.

You could ask politely for them to change their name and send them a 'character rename' in the mail. There are only a few hundred people with really inappropriate names and each rename costs just under a million each on the Progenitor. Everyone happy?

If they're on an RP server with those kinds of names, then 90% of the time, they're trolling. Most likely they'd agree, then keep their name and sell your rename gift on the GTN.

Maybe a pop up warning for people who are just starting the game, when they click on an RP server the warning till inform them what an RP server is. Seems most of the people who are new and just roll on what ever server has the highest population at the time, or just happens to be the first one on the list have 0 clue as to what a RP server even is.

Same thing for the PvP server to be honest, the game seems fun and awesome those first few planets, then the dying starts and the person has already invested time into that character and had no idea what they were getting themselves into!

Nothing long in the pop up warning either, most people will read maybe one or two lines before they are bored and just click the Accept button....

or even put the roleplaying servers on a separate tab at the top altogether. That way the people who are new, have no idea what those servers even are will not roll on them to begin with. Those who have an understanding of what roleplay is will see said tab and know that is where they should be.

Edited by Hoshkar

I don't remember which game exactly it was, but I played an MMO that indeed had those popup warnings. "You are entering a Roleplaying Server. Additional rules apply." - something along those lines. That was a rather nice way of dealing with the "I didn't know any better" crowd.

Cite.

Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.

You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

If you violate any part of the above Naming Policy you will either be assigned a new name, or given the option of changing the name. In addition to this, your account could incur a penalty up to and including account closure.

http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct

Cite.

I did earlier in this thread but everyone seemed to miss that post...

Thanks to Wylf who posted the rules again tho so I didn't have to :)

The point is that they are not actively policing the names tho. So if you see names that violate the rules and you don't like it, you'll have to report it for anything to happen.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

I'm very dubious that those rules are even bothered with. I've seen plenty of names that seem to contravene them.

As oddball mentioned in his edit, the policy is enforced via a report-based system. Report the name and it should be taken care of. If you see people with such names they probably haven't been reported.