When is the next name purge?

RaithHarth

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it's telling me quite a bit, especially if the user holding that name isn't being used by a subscriber anymore, or he/she is off on another server, completely ignoring the name while he/she attends their business elsewhere on an entirely different server.

it doesnt tell you if they are a subscriber. it only tells you they havent been leveling that particular character. they could be a hardcore raider on your server and you would have no idea

I agree, I also had one name in mind, but I never expected to get it because I started 4 months ago, so most of goods were taken.

With a little imagination I have still been able to find good names that could actually be names, at least in Star Wars universe. I was even able to grab one nice three letterish name. One of my character is named after nice NPC and other has common name + s mode

But, if bioware decided to purge my name, would they just randomly generate it or would I be able to choose new one once I log in?

I'm curious again...you can tell if the owner of the name is a subscriber? I'm seriously just asking a question about that, no snark intended.

I will say though that if the player is off on another server that's no reason to lose the name. I have characters on another server I haven't touched for months. But that doesn't mean the names are up for grabs.

This is me too. I have characters on a US server but my primary sever is EU. I haven't logged into them for months, but I'm still active. Just not on those.

In the end there’s been several names that I wanted that were already taken. I just used my imagination to come up with a variation on the name, or came up with a new one. There is no god-given right to any name, even if this name is your real name, or the name you've used on every other game you've played.

It's not that hard to deal with. While I understand the importance of the name that suits a character (I actually used my one name change when I just couldn't play with a Sith Warrior called Sevrinne) there are ways to go around it. I like my Agents, BH and Inqs to have word-names rather than given names, and I started playing Feb 2014, where my chances to get anything obvious were nill. Big deal.

The good old apostrophes. Do you care it is Bl'ight not Blight?

Adding hyphenation. Dusk-fell was actually better than Dusk after I have time to get used to it.

Articles might work as well (didn't try) Astranger or Lestranger etc might stand a better chance than a simple Stranger

Creative spelling. I was proud of that other guy who knew what Misericorde was, so mine ended up being Misericordae (she was Okay with it last time I asked)

When creative spelling fails, borrowing from a tongue that is not the primary on your server can be your ticket (translators abound!) I assumed Imp taken, but Bestiya one an anglophone server... help yourself!

Then there is a sheer fun of playing with what's available. My husband played with a generator, till the name Hiboco was actually available. It was silly. It was not exactly a heroic name for a Jedi Knight. We've laughed, called his Legacy Loco to match, and his second toon (IA) became Bondoco. :p Truly in keeping with Hiboco the Loco Legacy.

Edited by DomiSotto

I'm curious again...you can tell if the owner of the name is a subscriber? I'm seriously just asking a question about that, no snark intended.

I will say though that if the player is off on another server that's no reason to lose the name. I have characters on another server I haven't touched for months. But that doesn't mean the names are up for grabs.

When the name isn't being used (it's still at lvl 33) for months at time that's a very good indication that it's not being used by a subscriber.

With that being said, even if it's being held hostage by a subscriber while they are playing on another server is a bit unjust don't you think? There should be something done about that, if you are playing on your destination server, you should not be allowed to have the option to hold names hostage on other servers, if you want to transfer to one server to the other that's fine, but you shouldn't be able to hold that name ahead of time, it's unfair to all the gamers currently playing on that particular server while you play on another server.

Edited by RaithHarth

When the name isn't being used (it's still at lvl 33) for months at time that's a very good indication that it's not being used by a subscriber.

I understand the logic, but you can truly never know. The guy could be on another server and may come back, the character could just be used for gathering mats,, heck....he or she may be in the military and deployed for a period of time. Even if they aren't a subscriber, they have the "right" to the name on whatever server. I'm just saying you can't be 100% sure of the players circumstance.

With that being said, even if it's being held hostage by a subscriber while they are playing on another server is a bit unjust don't you think? There should be something done about that, if you are playing on your destination server, you should not be allowed to have the option to hold names hostage on other servers, if you want to transfer to one server to the other that's fine, but you shouldn't be able to hold that name ahead of time, it's unfair to all the gamers currently playing on that particular server while you play on another server.

But its not being held hostage. Just because you might want the name is no reason to take it away from someone else. If they are a sub they're paying their good money to play that character when they want to as often as they want to. Theres nothing unfair about it. I get it, you want the name, but its just a name of a fictional avatar in a game....and the person that has it has every right to it. If and when they decide to free up names maybe you'll get it. But I don't really see that happening any time soon. Theres simply no reason to do it, and it'd be kind of unfair for a lot of other people.

I understand the logic, but you can truly never know. The guy could be on another server and may come back, the character could just be used for gathering mats,, heck....he or she may be in the military and deployed for a period of time. Even if they aren't a subscriber, they have the "right" to the name on whatever server. I'm just saying you can't be 100% sure of the players circumstance.

But its not being held hostage. Just because you might want the name is no reason to take it away from someone else. If they are a sub they're paying their good money to play that character when they want to as often as they want to. Theres nothing unfair about it. I get it, you want the name, but its just a name of a fictional avatar in a game....and the person that has it has every right to it. If and when they decide to free up names maybe you'll get it. But I don't really see that happening any time soon. Theres simply no reason to do it, and it'd be kind of unfair for a lot of other people.

But if that name is barely being used (if at all), you should have no right to claim to that name, especially when you are playing on a destination server, while that name is being grounded on another server you barely play on, that in itself is unjust.

First of all, if you are a subscriber, then your names should be protected, no matter how long it has been between log ins on any character.

Second, a character being level 33 means NOTHING other than the fact that it has been level 33 for a long time. As many have pointed out, many players have alts that they use for crew skills. They log into them every day and multiple times every day to send companions on missions, but they do not level those characters. I myself have several characters that have not gained a level in months but I log into them often.

Third, since this character who has a name you want is level 33, the criteria that BW put in place with the last name purge would still protect that character's name. You would still not be able to steal that name. Are you going to demand that they not only have another name purge because you want to steal someone's name, but that they also change the criteria to make it possible for you to do so?

First of all, if you are a subscriber, then your names should be protected, no matter how long it has been between log ins on any character.

Second, a character being level 33 means NOTHING other than the fact that it has been level 33 for a long time. As many have pointed out, many players have alts that they use for crew skills. They log into them every day and multiple times every day to send companions on missions, but they do not level those characters. I myself have several characters that have not gained a level in months but I log into them often.

Third, since this character who has a name you want is level 33, the criteria that BW put in place with the last name purge would still protect that character's name. You would still not be able to steal that name. Are you going to demand that they not only have another name purge because you want to steal someone's name, but that they also change the criteria to make it possible for you to do so?

Yes all subscriber names should be protected, I have nothing against that, but the matter of the fact is if you are playing on a Destination server, you should stick to those names only, if you have copies of that same name on other servers that aren't being used, then they should be purged.

Edited by RaithHarth

But if that name is barely being used (if at all), you should have no right to claim to that name, especially when you are playing on a destination server, while that name is being grounded on another server you barely play on, that in itself is unjust.

You don't have any more right than they do though.

Yes all subscriber names should be protected, I have nothing against that, but the matter of the fact is if you are playing on a Destination server, you should stick to those names only, if you have copies of that same name on other servers that aren't being used, then they should be purged.

says you.

bioware, thankfully - think differently.

you don't get to decide who keeps their names and under what conditions. suck it up and figure out names that are not taken.

You shouldn't use the word "unjust". It implies that you are somehow being treated unfairly, when you're not. A player can have characters on as many servers as they like, so that's a non-issue. If someone has claimed a name that you want on that server, its really just too bad. Its not unjust, its not unfair. Its just bad luck or bad timing for you. Theres no reason to "purge" the names just because you'd like to have it.

What if the player decides to delete the character but someone else picks up the name before you can get it? Is that unfair or unjust? No...its just that someone else has the name now.

Besides its just a name. Whatever it is, it can't be that awesome. Considering that theres little chance of the name being purged or anything I'd suggest you just think of another one. Because that player has the right to keep their name as long as they want even if they only log into the game every blue moon.

Could you be any more self-contradictory?

You say that all subscriber names should be protected and then say that some should be purged? You cannot protect all subscriber names and still purge some.

No subscriber should EVER need to worry about having one their character's names stolen.

Could you be any more self-contradictory?

You say that all subscriber names should be protected and then say that some should be purged? You cannot protect all subscriber names and still purge some.

No subscriber should EVER need to worry about having one their character's names stolen.

I think what he means is this:

If you have a character named "Ratajack" on multiple servers but you don't log into server B or xerver C and spend all of your time on server "A' than the "Ratajack" names on C and B should be purged.

Which still isn't right. You claimed the name and until you delete the character or change its name voluntarily you shouldn't lose it....especially if its only because someone else wants the name.

we are all playing the hand we were dealt..

1) pre order the game and get early access, get your character names before others..

2) server consolidation - if you aren't a destination server, you may lose your name...

3) server consolidation 2 - if you aren't a destination server, you may lose your name again...

4) character name purge - get your name back!

I lost character names that I had on my first server.... then lost a few more when i moved to another server... with the first name purge I was able to get all but 1 or 2 back.

I am also not a fan of the special characters. not the look, but typing it out is a pain.

IMO, your character name is an extension of you. in a game where everyone looks the same, its really your only way to stand out and give your character a little of your own personality. I am no more entitled to a name as you are. reasons like, i have had this name in EQ1, EQ2, SWG and Guild Wars 1/2 are void arguments. however if that name comes available again and you can snag it, by all means you should.

The 1 name that I really wanted back, I actually sent that person an in game email.. said I would give them a character rename and buy the name from them (credits) if they were interested. haven't heard back yet and they have been lvl 26 for several months. if it works cool if not, oh well :)

I think what he means is this:

If you have a character named "Ratajack" on multiple servers but you don't log into server B or xerver C and spend all of your time on server "A' than the "Ratajack" names on C and B should be purged.

Which still isn't right. You claimed the name and until you delete the character or change its name voluntarily you shouldn't lose it....especially if its only because someone else wants the name.

So you think it's right for someone to hold a name on server B while they go on and play on server A (their destination server) with that same name? Especially when the name on Server B isn't even being used up, that seems pretty greedy if you ask me.

Edited by RaithHarth

So you think it's right for someone to hold a name on server B while they go on and play on server A (their destination server) with that same name? Especially when the name on Server B isn't even being used up, that seems pretty greedy if you ask me.

You're using words like "unjust", "right" and "greedy". It's not helping your case.

Actually it's telling me quite a bit, especially if the user holding that name isn't being used by a subscriber anymore, or he/she is off on another server, completely ignoring the name while he/she attends their business elsewhere on an entirely different server.

You cannot tell any of these things based on /friending the character.

You also know nothing about the person behind the character, their plans, what they do, what they want to do in the future, etc. etc.

Look... they did a purge last year..... with a reasonable set of criteria and plenty of warning to players. That was fine. If they want to do that same purge cycle every year... fine by me. But you know what..... none of that in any way insures you personally access to any favorite names you may covet.

You're using words like "unjust", "right" and "greedy". It's not helping your case.

Yeah, its hypocritical.

You can't call someone greedy because they named a character some name that you'd like to have. Wanting a name purge just so you can essentially take the name from the other person is itself, greedy.

Again, you have no way of knowing if the character is being used on server B. The character not leveling doesn't mean much. That's already been explained. If I decided right now to log on to server C and make a new character with the name "Sunkist" (stupid name, just making it up right now. I like orange juice) and then log onto server A that I normally play on an make another "Sunkist", maybe a different class theres nothing wrong with that. Now maybe I'm having a good time on Server A so I let Sunkist sit idle for however long on Server C. You log on to Server C but want the name? Why should I lose it? I pay my sub, its my character and I'll play it or not play it as I wish. I could log in once a month and dance on the fleet for five minutes and log out. Just because you might think my name should be taken since I'm not actively using the character isn't a reason for it to be taken. Keep in mind, for all you really know I might only use the character for farming mats for another character and that's why it doesn't level.

But that doesn't matter. Its my character. I got the name before you did, and theres absolutely no reason for anyone to take the name away.

So you really need to stop saying unfair, unjust and greedy. Nothing unfair or unjust is happening, and its pretty silly to call it greedy when its you that want something that someone else rightfully has.

Op -

If you have read the characters name renewal you would know any character level 30 and above will not lose their name no matter how long it has been offline, and people can report your characters for using star wars planet names which is in the rules of conduct, just saying.

Also yes I have felt the pain of losing character names from the whole server merging rubbish, but I know how to move on and come up with new cool sounding names, which are mainly Japanese inspired names that you can mess around with until you get something that you like.

If you are a Free-to-Play player:

•If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 60 days, your character will be flagged for rename.

•If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 120 days, your character will be flagged for rename.

Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.

If you are a Preferred Status player:

•If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 90 days, your character will be flagged for rename

•If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 180 days, your character will be flagged for rename.

Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.

If you are or become a Subscriber:

•You will be unaffected by this Character Name Renewal program.

edit:

Edited by Tychus

Op -

If you have read the characters name renewal you would know any character level 30 and above will not loss their names no matter how long they are offline, and people can report your characters for using star wars planet names which is in the rules of conduct, just saying.

Also yes I have felt the pain of losing character names from the whole server merging rubbish, but I know how to move on and come up with new cool sounding names, which are mainly Japanese inspired names that you can mess around with until you get something that you like.

If you are a Free-to-Play player:

•If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 60 days, your character will be flagged for rename.

•If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 120 days, your character will be flagged for rename.

•Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.

If you are a Preferred Status player:

•If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 90 days, your character will be flagged for rename

•If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 180 days, your character will be flagged for rename.

•Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.

If you are or become a Subscriber:

•You will be unaffected by this Character Name Renewal program.

Because I checked to see if the name was still in use by adding the username to my friends list, it's been lvl 33 since last year.

Well, that being the case, you might as well look for another name. It appears you can't have that one.