The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

About GTM Pricing..."Real Issue!".

I am pretty much annoyed at this point people, because some of you have been pricing armor, weapons and other items at ridiculous and UN-resonable prices!. Now I know why you guys do this so don't try to manipulate me!, and before I go any further, let me explain why I am posting this thread on..."Cartel Market Suggestions". I've been playing Star Wars: The Old Republic since 2012...and I know the community very well, and I've noticed that people are spending real currency to buy cartel coins to purchase goodies from the Cartel Market and then are putting the goodies they bought from the Cartel Market on the GTM, which is NOT faction based...to sell. The reason why I say this is a real issue, its because those who really NEED that particular piece...can't afford it, because its over priced and for lower levels, this can be and is really frustrating!. For example, I came across someone who is selling loads of level 14 prototype armor pieces called "Avenger Head Gear" for 100,000+ credits. Pretty soon, all of the newcomers are gonna get annoyed and complain to Bioware about this, because some of us don't have lvl 55's, some of us don't spend 24/7 7 days a week doing dailies...as a daily basis. I respectfully ask all of you to price equipment at fair prices so that those who really need it...can afford it. Edited by AYoungTitan

What you NEED is ONE set of oranges, pre-55, with armorings / mods / enhancements from Planetary Comms. What you GET, are pretty much all oranges minus belt and wrists as mission rewards, at one point or another.

There is also another option - buy the CHEAPEST CM set available, and some are no more than 50k per set.

What you WANT is unrealistic - the GTN regulates itself. Earn more money if you want rare stuff, but mainstream is VERY affordable.

Example: You don`t need Revan`s helmet. What you actually need is ONE orange helmet - cheapest would do.

Edited by Styxx

I am pretty much annoyed at this point people, because some of you have been pricing armor, weapons and other items at ridiculous and UN-resonable prices!. Now I know why you guys do this so don't try to manipulate me!, and before I go any further, let me explain why I am posting this thread on..."Cartel Market Suggestions". I've been playing Star Wars: The Old Republic since 2012...and I know the community very well, and I've noticed that people are spending real currency to buy cartel coins to purchase goodies from the Cartel Market and then are putting the goodies they bought from the Cartel Market on the GTM, which is NOT faction based...to sell. The reason why I say this is a real issue, its because those who really NEED that particular piece...can't afford it, because its over priced and for lower levels, this can be and is really frustrating!. For example, I came across someone who goes by the name "Madath" and he is selling loads of level 14 prototype armor pieces called "Avenger Head Gear" for 100,000+ credits. Pretty soon, all of the newcomers are gonna get annoyed and complain to Bioware about this, because some of us don't have lvl 55's, some of us don't spend 24/7 7 days a week doing dailies...as a daily basis. I respectfully ask all of you to price equipment at fair prices so that those who really need it...can afford it.

right now the "fair" price is set around at 1000:1 credits to Caretel coins.

so something listed on the GTN at 100,000 credits probably cost 100 cartel coins. Packs that run 320 CC sell for 320,000 roughly.

you dont NEED anything off the CM its entirely optional and nothing but cosmetic. You mat WANT it, but NEED is a totally different issue. IF you want something bad enough. you'll find a way to buy it. Those who sell things for 100k for lvel 15 gear are guessing there are far more people with new alts than first time players (generally a safe assumption). My toons rarely start out with anything under 500k shortly after getting passed the opening cut scene.

Credits in this game are free adn only take time to earn. If you dont' want to spend time playing in game, you are free to buy CC for $$$ and purchase from the CM. If you don't want to do either. Well then don't come on here complaining about anything.

Really...? Do you also complain to Ebay or Craigslist that a seller is asking too much for something?

This ought to get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need

Agreed.

The rare CM armors are rare. That means they are hard to get. That means you have to pay more for them. Before the CM there were plenty of rare orange drops that commanded high prices on the GTN (Vendetta Sniper armor, Supreme Inquisitor's Robes, Hellfire set for bounty hunters, etc.) They aren't expensive because they somehow make your stats better than other gear, they are expensive because they are desirable and not easy to obtain.

People whining about this are hilarious. Try that in real life, go into a Ferrari dealership [or any other rare/desirable good of your choice) and complain their prices are unreasonable. See what happens. You aren't entitled to something just because you want it.

(...) and I've noticed that people are spending real currency to buy cartel coins to purchase goodies from the Cartel Market and then are putting the goodies they bought from the Cartel Market on the GTM, which is NOT faction based...to sell. The reason why I say this is a real issue, its because those who really NEED that particular piece...can't afford it, because its over priced and for lower levels, this can be and is really frustrating!. (...)

What Cartel Market item are you referring to that people "really NEED"?

And how is the "Avenger Head Gear" connected to the above quote? I guess this is not a Cartel Market item? I also don't understand how this head gear is needed by anyone? The cheapest head gear you can get for around 1.000 credits, depending on the server. Put some cheap green mods in it and you're good to go. Actually, you don't even need any head gear at level 14.

But in general, I do agree that the pricing of quite a bunch of people became highly ridiculous. I especially don't understand why people sell e. g. legacy perks for 10 times the price of the cost in the legacy window or items which are mainly for F2P players for prices which they cannot afford, because they cannot have so many credits.

My favourite seller is one guy who sells a synthweaving bracer schematic for more than a year now. He started at 150k and he progressed up to 450k. And he still hasn't sold it. (I am fairly sure it is the same item than back then.)

Lvl 13 and 17 offhands are pretty pricey.

you can also get them as quest rewards - usually group quests. or as drops from flashpoints. and if you are severely unlucky and cannot get any of those - well then, nar shaddaa planetary commendations vendor sells offhands at lvl 23. bind on equip offhands are so expensive becasue they are rare. they don't drop very often. like... at all. rarity demands higher price. personally, I never buy them for myself, OR companions. I just go with one of the routes I mentioned above.

no one NEEDS anything off cartel market. you really don't. you WANT it. so you get to pay for what you want.

why don't you need it? becasue there are super cheap full sets of moddable, adoptive armors you can get very early on way below 50k. aside from pieces you get from quest rewards - social armor on starting planets requires social 1 (which is literally a single group quest - a run of Black Talon/Esseles pushes you way way above the required minimum) and each piece is around 300 credits. things like belts and wrists are extremely cheap on GTN. can also be crafted.

and honestly? you don't even need moddable armor. while questing you are given green quality upgrades for you AND your companions. as quest rewards. sometimes you are given oranges too.

luxuries, which is what these items are? cost more. PRECISELY becasue they are luxuries and you do NOT need them.

Edited by Jeweledleah

If you don't have a high level character yet it's more than a little silly to complain about auction prices. My first character was always broke because I made the mistake of thinking I could do crafting as I leveled. I still had a full set of modable gear by level 20. Quest rewards, PVP gear, FP drops and a few cheap crafted pieces (belt, bracers and head I think) did it. And as for that BOE blue you mention, it is worse than any moddable piece you might otherwise use instead because it'll be vendor trash in 5 - 10 levels.

For example, I came across someone who goes by the name "-----"

Name-calling isn't even allowed.

and he is selling loads of level 14 prototype armor pieces called "Avenger Head Gear" for 100,000+ credits. Pretty soon, all of the newcomers are gonna get annoyed and complain to Bioware about

About what? I can list Minor Medpac for 1 billion credits, it's just GTN. You don't have to use it.

If you want cheap headgear, buy "ridiculous dancer cap" or whatever, it's level 1, adaptive, moddable, then hide head slot.

because some of us don't have lvl 55's, some of us don't spend 24/7 7 days a week doing dailies...as a daily basis..

Just butting in here about this.

That ... is a lousy way to make money, just collecting pocket money off the defeated and piddly rewards. There are far better ways, and the game just throws those ways in your face so they're easy enough to find. Yes, you do have to actually ... using the dreaded word .... work for it, but an hour or so can easily net you at least 200,000. And that's not even crafting, who knows how much top notch crafters make for an hours investment.

Don't whine .. work for it.

That ... is a lousy way to make money, just collecting pocket money off the defeated and piddly rewards.

Dailies at lvl 50-55 are pretty much the credit printing machine of this game. It's how creds are injected into the economy.

From there the creds are transferred between players - to crafters, through GTN, etc - sometimes multiple times.

Ultimately credits are dissipated as repair bills, character unlocks, vendor purchases, just padding in user accounts, forgotten in inactive accounts.

The game currently has a lot more people at the printing presses than credit sinks are absorbing, so it needs more sinks, that's where player housing and guild ships are going to come in.

I am pretty much annoyed at this point people, because some of you have been pricing armor, weapons and other items at ridiculous and UN-resonable prices!. Now I know why you guys do this so don't try to manipulate me!, and before I go any further, let me explain why I am posting this thread on..."Cartel Market Suggestions". I've been playing Star Wars: The Old Republic since 2012...and I know the community very well, and I've noticed that people are spending real currency to buy cartel coins to purchase goodies from the Cartel Market and then are putting the goodies they bought from the Cartel Market on the GTM, which is NOT faction based...to sell. The reason why I say this is a real issue, its because those who really NEED that particular piece...can't afford it, because its over priced and for lower levels, this can be and is really frustrating!. For example, I came across someone who goes by the name "Madath" and he is selling loads of level 14 prototype armor pieces called "Avenger Head Gear" for 100,000+ credits. Pretty soon, all of the newcomers are gonna get annoyed and complain to Bioware about this, because some of us don't have lvl 55's, some of us don't spend 24/7 7 days a week doing dailies...as a daily basis. I respectfully ask all of you to price equipment at fair prices so that those who really need it...can afford it.

OK look you dont NEED anything form the game that comes from the GTN or Crafters. You WANT them. I didnt NEED the revans set but by god damn i spent months to get it and save the credits to buy a aqusition pack this last weekend and got lucky. All the CM does is provide us with really cool in game items that honestly all do the same thing and have the same effects to a point. Honestly the really good stuff you have bust your *** running ops or pvps to get. So you really should resort your priorities and relearn the value of supply and demand chain. Economics even in a game is a very complex and self managing system. If you interfere with that you destry the main structure of the games credit flow.

Patience my brother/sister. I bought an item the regularly goes for 130-150k for 5 K the other day. Just check the GTN regularly and you'll find deals on stuff you like for dirt cheap. And their are some decent orange quest rewards just by playing the story, those should hold you over until can afford the aesthetics you want. I rocked the same chest piece on my Merc since launch, and only recently just got new stuff. Patience, the market is a tidal wave, some days things are 1 million some days they are 100k.

And if there is something you want the price isn't a problem. What you value things at is what matters. I see something that's 400 coins, one may think it's overpriced but if I value it I'll pay the 400 coins. Value is in the eye of the beholder. We get free coins for subbing so technically Bioware pays some of what my item costs anyway on the cartel market :p

My problem with the GTN is the armoring, mod and enhancement prices, they were insanely high for the cost of making them, so to save myself from being ripped off by crafters, i became a cybertech, even though i HATE crafting, with a passion, i have to do it if i plan to keep my gear updated.

I am not against players charging high prices for rare items or expensive to craft type items, but items that are so easily crafted and cheapily, i just see the prices they charge as insulting and just plain greedy, i mean i have seen level 17 armourings, hilts, mods etc. being sold for like 15k, sometimes 20k, every day or two, the same amount, is reposted, not sure if its a new set of them or not, but selling those for like 5-6k is still a profit, but then again, i am not a greedy sod.

I am referring to blue quality crafted items, purple quality items are more expensive, since i don't always get them when sending out companions to get UT metals, but blue quality.......the prices are insane and need to be more reasonable.

My problem with the GTN is the armoring, mod and enhancement prices, they were insanely high for the cost of making them, so to save myself from being ripped off by crafters, i became a cybertech, even though i HATE crafting, with a passion, i have to do it if i plan to keep my gear updated.

I am not against players charging high prices for rare items or expensive to craft type items, but items that are so easily crafted and cheapily, i just see the prices they charge as insulting and just plain greedy, i mean i have seen level 17 armourings, hilts, mods etc. being sold for like 15k, sometimes 20k, every day or two, the same amount, is reposted, not sure if its a new set of them or not, but selling those for like 5-6k is still a profit, but then again, i am not a greedy sod.

I am referring to blue quality crafted items, purple quality items are more expensive, since i don't always get them when sending out companions to get UT metals, but blue quality.......the prices are insane and need to be more reasonable.

lolwut

a) crafting takes time. a lot of time. seriously a lot of time. ...if you get all your mats via crew skills at least. i've just ran some on my cybertech and... those grade 4 metal missions? take about half an hour. and if you're unlucky (happened to me a bunch of times with 1 hour grade 5 gemstone missions :/) they fail and you get nothing. and i also checked the price for xonolite, the grade 3 metal that i needed to craft some armorings and the prize for just one piece of xonolite is around the price for a mission that can get you around ~8... if you're willing to wait 20 minutes :| and one blue armoring needs four pieces. so either you invest quite a bit of time or you pay a lot.

b) ...and selling for 5-6K? seriously? have you actually paid attention to how much money you sink into your crafting? even if we disregard the time aspect (and honestly? there are more fun things out there than constantly monitoring crew missions and hoping they don't fail and having to wait till your comp comes back with that damn metal you need to craft the next bit of armoring... and i say that as someone who actually kinda likes crafting), that xonolite mission? around 1K. for enough xonolite for 2 armorings. and then there's the phobium, and the lacquerous and the something flux whose full name escapes me right now, all of which you need 4 pieces of again. so to craft 2 armorings -- if you run the mission yourself you get around 3K, maybe a bit less. ...and again, that's for grade 3 stuff. armoring 12. it gets significantly more expensive when you go higher, too.

and that's not even going into the need of buying the initial green schematics -- which also get progressively more expensive. my highest level crafter has artifice and iirc the current schematics I could buy for him are a few thousand credits as well. and then you get into REing the green stuff to get the blue schematics. maybe you're lucky and get it on the first or second try. maybe you're not and need twenty. maybe you're really unlucky and need even more. that's a lot of mats spent on just getting the schematic you need and you need to get that back in before you can talk about making a profit.

So you have buying the green schematic + the mats used in REing those + the mats used to make what you actually sell + some extra for having to put up with all of this (And hey, since you say you hate crafting, one would think you can relate to it sometimes being somewhat... frustrating to say the least.)

Now, i'm not entirely sure you mean armorings for level 17 toons or grade 17 (or whatever you'd call it) for higher level ones -- i admit my brain automatically went with the latter. obviously, since grade 3 metals are needed for... level 27 and 29 armorings i think, the mats in your example are less than 3K if you run the missions yourself. but the point itself stands.

And besides, sorry, but you don't need blue armorings. you can buy green ones with credits if you don't wanna invest the comms to buy blue ones. if people buy blue ones for 20000 because they'd rather spend credits than comms, that's their thing, and crafters don't necessarily love crafting so damn much they want to go through all the hassle needed to then get some measly profits that they could get just as well from running some FP or Heroic.

(as a personal anecdote, i spend around 1 1/2 hours standing around dromund kaas having vette run missions and spent thousands of credits on it to level my cybertech/scavenging/underworld trading and just get the blue schematics for the next armorings for that character. you can cut down the time by having more companions to send, but not the money. so yeah :/)

If you don't have a high level character yet it's more than a little silly to complain about auction prices. My first character was always broke because I made the mistake of thinking I could do crafting as I leveled. I still had a full set of modable gear by level 20. Quest rewards, PVP gear, FP drops and a few cheap crafted pieces (belt, bracers and head I think) did it. And as for that BOE blue you mention, it is worse than any moddable piece you might otherwise use instead because it'll be vendor trash in 5 - 10 levels.

I do have a high level character. I have a level 55 Commando and a level 27 Merc.

Edited by AYoungTitan

I do have a high level character. I have a level 55 Commando and a level 27 Merc.

Then you can understand that you don`t NEED anything more than an "El Cheapo" orange set, which you can get for no more than 50k for all 7 pieces, then level up to 55 by using planetary comms - perfectly doable. Ding 55, go Oricon, get 156 gear for free.

Nothing you NEED. You might WANT a few things, but that`s a different story. Most people WANT a Ferrari, but few can afford it. So, what you want is to afford what you want.. but you could be equally served in your purposes with a piece of **** VW Polo, or a bicycle.

Edited by Styxx

Over a year ago, I purchased the Revan Holostatue on GTN 4 1M credits, I transferred credits from all my toons 2 my 1st toon since he was my only lvl50 toon (lvl50 was the cap back then) and constantly repeated 1 of the high-end FPs 2 save up. I did not do this because I needed my Revan toy, I did it because I WANTED it. I wanted it so I worked 4 it, I did not whine and moan about the price. The GTN is an AUCTION house, not a vendor, so it is the seller's choice what 2 charge. If u don't like it then don't use it.

I just bought full set of oranges for 40k :D and I would have got it for 20k if I had bought cheap chest instead of better looking one

And watching good deals can save plenty of creds too.

Examples: Last Handmaiden's tunic for 800k, next day cheapest was 1500k

Valiant Jedi body armor for 600k, next day cheapest was 2,5 M

And when I had saved 800k for Bastila Shan's tunic, I found it being sold for 200k :D

Edited by Adaliaya