The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Legacy Based Cosmetic Appearance Tabs

EnkiduNineEight

With the Cartel Market now a constant source of new equipment shells I think the game (and Cartel Market use/purchases by players) could see an improvement if you would implement costume tabs for players. In this way they can have a set of equipment that provides them their stats but change out equipment on a separate tab to change how they look.

This allows players to actually use many of the new 'costumes' that are available and change their appearances based on a situation. Visit Hoth? Break out the cold weather gear. Going to Tatooine? Do the opposite and wear more planet appropriate gear. Playing Huttball, break out your huttball uniform, etc.

By allowing players to easily change their looks without changing their primary equipment, you'll give them an incentive to collect this other equipment and thus to use the cartel market more. As it is, the cost is greatly prohibitive to changing your outfits and this acts as an inhibitor to character customization. It is both in the players and the Games best interest to make being able to change up your look easier.

I would make this Legacy/Subscription type based. An idea, for example:

f2p Players get 1 tab available.

Preferred Players get 3 tabs available.

Subscribers get 5 tabs available.

Tabs must be unlocked with credits or cartel coins and are part of your legacy perks.

Legacy level 1 gets one tab, with tabs at 5, 10, 20 and 40.

Mechanic is simple. You have a primary equipment tab, this tab is the equipment that provides your attributes. It will also be your default appearance if you have no equipment in any other tab. If you place equipment in any of your costume tabs and click a check box on the tab, then this tab will be what provides your appearance to others in the game.

I know I would use this, already having a collection of alternative 'outfits' none of which I can use in game without an immense cost in moving or duplicating mods.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love to see this, I have a couple different sets of gear I would like to use but the cost of augmenting and mod swapping is ridiculous. I don't care about how I look enough to spend several hundred thousand credits changing mods and augments out and adding augment slots to new gear (multiply that by 4 characters all in raiding gear, there's plenty of people on the forums with 2 or 3 times that many characters who would say the same thing I assume). My jug tank has looked the exact same for probably a year and a half now. Edited by Paintcheck

• 2 weeks later...

Alternatively, if you do not want to clutter up the interface with too many tabs, you could have a small display of 'check boxes' with just a simple number (1 through 5) with the numbers unavailable 'greyed out' or if selected you go to the cartel purchase screen with the option to unlock.

THEN, put the 'costumes locker' in the characters Ship Quarters (Not their home, as their changes of clothes would likely be on their ship when they are off adventuring). We have, in every ship as I recall, a captains quarters room that really serves no purpose. None of the furniture works, so basically its dead space on your ship no one uses.

Convert the 'closet' there into your access to your specific clothing inventory, with five available tabs (Se prior posts for explanation) each looking like a costume tab/paperdoll. You put clothing items into their appropriate slot in the closet on an outfit tab, and then using your characters Paper Doll, you change outfits by clicking 1 through 5. (or whichever number of slots you have available) This means your character paper doll is your default equipment, on which you derive your stats and which is your default appearance, but if you check any of the boxes 1 through 5, that corresponding outfit is displayed, while your stats are still derived from your characters paperdoll.

This gives reason for the dead space room on your ship, creates an easy to use interface for changing your outfits, gives people an actual REASON to collect different outfits thus perhaps increasing the number of people willing to buy/use cartel coins in order to purchase items from the cartel store.

This is a totally win/win scenario for you and for the players. I totally want to be able to change into a snow outfit for hoth, for aesthetic reasons, but instead I know my characters are going to wear whatever it is they normally wear because its stupid costly to switch mods around between items just for an appearance.

With the Cartel Market now a constant source of new equipment shells I think the game (and Cartel Market use/purchases by players) could see an improvement if you would implement costume tabs for players. In this way they can have a set of equipment that provides them their stats but change out equipment on a separate tab to change how they look.

This allows players to actually use many of the new 'costumes' that are available and change their appearances based on a situation. Visit Hoth? Break out the cold weather gear. Going to Tatooine? Do the opposite and wear more planet appropriate gear. Playing Huttball, break out your huttball uniform, etc.

By allowing players to easily change their looks without changing their primary equipment, you'll give them an incentive to collect this other equipment and thus to use the cartel market more. As it is, the cost is greatly prohibitive to changing your outfits and this acts as an inhibitor to character customization. It is both in the players and the Games best interest to make being able to change up your look easier.

I would make this Legacy/Subscription type based. An idea, for example:

f2p Players get 1 tab available.

Preferred Players get 3 tabs available.

Subscribers get 5 tabs available.

Tabs must be unlocked with credits or cartel coins and are part of your legacy perks.

Legacy level 1 gets one tab, with tabs at 5, 10, 20 and 40.

Mechanic is simple. You have a primary equipment tab, this tab is the equipment that provides your attributes. It will also be your default appearance if you have no equipment in any other tab. If you place equipment in any of your costume tabs and click a check box on the tab, then this tab will be what provides your appearance to others in the game.

I know I would use this, already having a collection of alternative 'outfits' none of which I can use in game without an immense cost in moving or duplicating mods.

I like the idea but due to the way u can use moddable gear I think u should suggest that the unmoddable gear u like become moddable instead.

Would this be like Spiral Knights? Where you can equip an armor and get it's effects, but you can also equip another armor in a cosmetic slot. That way, you have the appearance of armor B, which you like, but the effectivity of armor A, which truly serves you better.

Would this be like Spiral Knights? Where you can equip an armor and get it's effects, but you can also equip another armor in a cosmetic slot. That way, you have the appearance of armor B, which you like, but the effectivity of armor A, which truly serves you better.

This is exactly what it is. Your base equipment provides your stats AND your appearance UNLESS you have selected to display one of your armour tabs. When you choose to display one of your armour tabs you still have your stats from the base equipment but your appearance changes to match the equipment on the selected tab.

This is exactly what it is. Your base equipment provides your stats AND your appearance UNLESS you have selected to display one of your armour tabs. When you choose to display one of your armour tabs you still have your stats from the base equipment but your appearance changes to match the equipment on the selected tab.

Yep good read and /signed.

This works for armor in collections if we can wear via cosmetic tab.

Edited by ZahirS

Yep good read and /signed.

This works for armor in collections if we can wear via cosmetic tab.

Exactly.

Bioware has given us even more available costume options now, but people rarely take advantage of them because the method to use a new costume requires a significant financial expense. If they allowed you to change your appearance without changing your state, people would be more incented to gather multiple looks for their characters, this means they may be more willing to buy these looks from the Cartel market, etc.. benefitting BioWare AND the players

Its win win and there is really zero downside to the addition.

this is exactly what it is. Your base equipment provides your stats and your appearance unless you have selected to display one of your armour tabs. When you choose to display one of your armour tabs you still have your stats from the base equipment but your appearance changes to match the equipment on the selected tab.

lawls hell no

ever heard pulp say this class is way to OP well doing this will make it so they are way OP go play Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn and see how they deal with armour and having ones u like.

I don't think you understand this at all.

Your stats come from the same equipment you get stats from at present. Your stats do not increase, nothing changes. The stats are derived from your 'main page' of equipment.

The cosmetic 'lockers'/tabs/whatever only change the way you look.

No character becomes more powerful.

They just change their clothes.

That way, you play a game of PVP and it turns out to be huttball, you can click the cosmetic tab where you put your huttball equipment. So now you look like a huttball player, but your stats are exactly the same as they were prior to switching the tab.

ever heard pulp say this class is way to OP well doing this will make it so they are way OP go play Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn and see how they deal with armour and having ones u like.

You are mistaken. ALL the gear can be selected as it stands right now. Makes no difference, as long as you select your main set.

Example: RIGHT NOW, on one of my BH toons, I can keep her Hydra set, but I could also use a cybernetic set, or some of the CM Jedi Valiant sets, or some skimpy clothing - no restriction. The only problem is the mod swapping and all the augments and stuff.

So, what was asked, was to ALWAYS keep the stats of the base armor, but add a cosmetic tab, which will give ONLY the visuals. So, basically, you will have one more tab, with armor that, regardless of mods, will ONLY give the cosmetic.

Man I don't even want to think about how much money I would spend to unlock all available tabs...

Hah, that's my point. ;)

I was being conservative in allowing for up to five closet spaces (where each closet space can fit a full set of equipment for cosmetic wear) but they could likely do more and charge and I would buy them.

As someone said above, Bioware would stand a chance to make a lot of money from people who would otherwise not waste money buying outfits simply because there is no real use for it ... I want my toon to look like a hardcore Jedi with some of the nice costume outfits they have, but alas, I am not willing to part with my money unless those costumes have a purpose (as another also said: the cost of re-modding and such is a big deterrent).

Signed.

Edited by Mofuwic
Grammar