Swtor has nothing to fear from Wildstar!

Odyseus

star wars fans don't like tor.

star wars fans want swg back. star wars fans will flock to wildstar as it offers everything that made swg the greatest mmo made. what does tor have to offer? gsf is being forgotten, the housing system looks bland and boring, pvp is a mess, pve is just re-releasing the same raids and hm content. the devs are down to a skeleton team.

wildstar is the final blow to tor maybe disney will see what the players want and will give us back swg.

Glad you're here to speak for us oh self-appointed oracle for every star wars fan on the planet.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

star wars fans want swg back. star wars fans will flock to wildstar as it offers everything that made swg the greatest mmo made. what does tor have to offer? gsf is being forgotten, the housing system looks bland and boring, pvp is a mess, pve is just re-releasing the same raids and hm content. the devs are down to a skeleton team.

wildstar is the final blow to tor maybe disney will see what the players want and will give us back swg.

I love SWTOR. Think it's a great game.

They belly aching happens in all MMO's. Since MMO's are designed to draw in a bunch of people, that means there are a lot more people who complain or are unhappy.

Never played SWG. Thought it sounded cool, but every time I went to read up about it, or see a review, the game was a mess. But there lies the true secrets of MMO's. It's not really the game. It's the people who make it special. So you're not really helping by crying on this forum. You're just a person who doesn't want other people to have fun because you can't have your precious shiny. And then you'll grow up and not be a 4 year old and realize that life is too short to be on a forum trying to ruin everyone's good time.

EAware can say goodbye to their precious ship once ESO and Wildstar launch.

There will still be a loyal audience for SWTOR. I'll probably keep my sub open a couple of months unless I find myself not playing at all.

ESO and Wildstar will have an impact but not sure how big and for how long. EA will certainly see their revenue from SWTOR decrease for a few months.

Edited by illgot

I saw Empire strikes back 1980 when it was released in the cinema

I played SWG since early beta, even if we had to order the discs and pay to play it.

And....I have played Swtor since pre-launch and still love this game

Guess we do not agree :tran_wink:

Edited by Icestar

Can't tell if srs. SWG sucked. The only thing it had that was decent was its crafting system but that coolness was negated with the debacle of NGE.

SWG had half as many subscribers as this game and if I'm doing the math right that translates into about a quarter of the revenue. (Last earnings report suggests something around half the revenue for the game comes from CM).

Yeah, let's just let SWG rest in peace. Or go play an emu if you're that heartbroken over it. I hear they're still running.

Hmm, am I a Star Wars fan then?

Let's see,

• Saw all three original movies and both Ewoks movies growing up, went and saw all the Special Editions, the Prequels and even The Clone Wars movie in theaters.
  • Watched Ewoks and Droids cartoons as a little kid. Watched first two seasons of Clone Wars on TV and any episodes that looked particularly interesting in the later seasons (since I didn't have cable then), now that they're on Netflix I'm doing a full watch of the entire series.
  • Have read over 65 Star Wars novels and probably around 200 issues of different Star Wars comics.
  • Have played more than 30 Star Wars video games.

And yet: I was subscribed to SWG for two months, and actually played for maybe a month, tops. While I respect what they did with crafting and player housing, the game just did nothing for me, overall.

But I really enjoy TOR, have been subbed since preordering, play it several times a week, and have no current plans of cancelling my sub unless they make some radical change or stop releasing new content.

So while I'm sure that some Star Wars fans don't like TOR, and that some Star Wars fans want SWG back, that is definitely not true of all of us on either count.

star wars fans want swg back.

What fantasy land do you live in? SWG was a CANCER to SOE and "Star Wars". Disney doesn't give a flip about the 25,000 of you who were playing SWG at the end. For all the flaws this game has, the population of SWTOR is at least 10x's that of SWG in it's final 3 years.

I LOVED SWG...but I'm not a fool when it comes to remembering the incredible number of flaws it had.

EAware can say goodbye to their precious ship once ESO and Wildstar launch.

[insertCompany] can say goodbye to their precious [insertGame] once [unreleasedNewGame1] and [unreleasedNewGame2] launch.

I went ahead and made that into an equation for you. I would hate for you to lose such a valuable idea, one that has never been posted in any MMO forum ever. Seriously. That post is so original I'd hate for it to be lost. It must be preserved.

Because it's so completely original. Forrealz. It's a statement that has never, ever, ever, ever, ever been made before.

I am certain that my fellow gamers expect that on my induction as Queen of the Internet I will address them with a candor and a decision which the present situation of our gamers impel. This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly facing conditions in our games today. This great game will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing SWtOR has to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In every dark hour of our gaming life a leadership of frankness and vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory. I am convinced that you will again give that support to leadership in these critical days.

I am certain that my fellow gamers expect that on my induction as Queen of the Internet I will address them with a candor and a decision which the present situation of our gamers impel. This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly facing conditions in our games today. This great game will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing SWtOR has to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In every dark hour of our gaming life a leadership of frankness and vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory. I am convinced that you will again give that support to leadership in these critical days.

A speech fit for a Queen :)

I.D.R.

Can't tell if srs. SWG sucked. The only thing it had that was decent was its crafting system but that coolness was negated with the debacle of NGE.

SWG had half as many subscribers as this game and if I'm doing the math right that translates into about a quarter of the revenue. (Last earnings report suggests something around half the revenue for the game comes from CM).

Yeah, let's just let SWG rest in peace. Or go play an emu if you're that heartbroken over it. I hear they're still running.

Not the case. SONY is using the lack of SWG features in SWTOR to compete with it, with their new mystery space sim MMO to come out that is being marketed to SWG vets. The Repopulation is also another coming indy MMO space sim that is being marketed to SWG vets. Star Citizen is another beast that appeals to lovers of Jump To Lightspeed (SWG).

To respond to the threat of the coming space sims (some being marketed to SWG players), Bioware is releasing Housing, Housing Crafting and they just released Galactic Starfighter. I imagine they are working on a serious Cantina uplift as well. Regardless of how bad SWG was as compared to other MMO's of the time (World of War Craft and Everquest II), endless people loved it for its Jump to Lightspeed, Crafting and City/Housing features. The gamers know this, and so do the Corporates.

On top of this, about a month ago, SONY suggested that it may allow gamers to subscribe to every single one of their games for only $15 a month, which includes Planetside 2, DCUO, the coming Everquest game and the new mysterious space sim MMO that is marketed towards SWG players.

"Tortanic" was just ********. But "TorHarbor" is a real threat and it appears Bioware is responding appropriately. But they are going to need the help of EA to compete with SONY if SONY does let people subscribe to all of their games for $15.

In short any marketing campaign in 2014 that is targeting SWG gamers is a direct assault on the SWTOR subscription base. All current and future MMO development is about finding the "SWTOR killer". The competition believes it is through games that feature features from SWG that MMO gamers miss. And we have just entered the age of the Return of the Space Sims. Clouded is the future.

Edited by HiddenPalm

Not the case. SONY is using the lack of SWG features in SWTOR to compete with it, with their new mystery space sim MMO to come out that is being marketed to SWG vets. The Repopulation is also another coming indy MMO space sim that is being marketed to SWG vets. Star Citizen is another beast that appeals to lovers of Jump To Lightspeed (SWG).

To respond to the threat of the coming space sims (some being marketed to SWG players), Bioware is releasing Housing, Housing Crafting and they just released Galactic Starfighter. I imagine they are working on a serious Cantina uplift as well. Regardless of how bad SWG was as compared to other MMO's of the time (World of War Craft and Everquest II), endless people loved it for its Jump to Lightspeed, Crafting and City/Housing features. The gamers know this, and so do the Corporates.

On top of this, about a month ago, SONY suggested that it may allow gamers to subscribe to every single one of their games for only $15 a month, which includes Planetside 2, DCUO, the coming Everquest game and the new mysterious space sim MMO that is marketed towards SWG players.

"Tortanic" was just ********. But "TorHarbor" is a real threat and it appears Bioware is responding appropriately. But they are going to need the help of EA to compete with SONY if SONY does let people subscribe to all of their games for $15.

In short any marketing campaign in 2014 that is targeting SWG gamers is a direct assault on the SWTOR subscription base. All current and future MMO development is about finding the "SWTOR killer". The competition believes it is through games that feature features from SWG that MMO gamers miss. And we have just entered the age of the Return of the Space Sims. Clouded is the future.

Endless people loved it? Endless? Really? If endless people loved it, it would probably still be here.

How many SWG gamers were left at the end? A post above says about 25,000, is that right? Assuming 100% of those are playing SWTOR now and all of them leave whenever SOE releases their non-Star Wars game, that's an unfortunate hit but an easily survivable one.

Are 100% of those 25k people playing this game? Probably not. Will however many are playing this game leave for a game that isn't Star Wars? Probably not.

Where do you get Space Sims? Aren't you reading the release notes and roadmap? Do you not understand what the words "new flash points and operations" mean?

You're already way better than the last queen.

Endless people loved it? Endless? Really? If endless people loved it, it would probably still be here.

How many SWG gamers were left at the end? A post above says about 25,000, is that right? Assuming 100% of those are playing SWTOR now and all of them leave whenever SOE releases their non-Star Wars game, that's an unfortunate hit but an easily survivable one.

Are 100% of those 25k people playing this game? Probably not. Will however many are playing this game leave for a game that isn't Star Wars? Probably not.

Where do you get Space Sims? Aren't you reading the release notes and roadmap? Do you not understand what the words "new flash points and operations" mean?

Some of the new upcoming space sims are being marketed to all of the SWG vets, not just the players who were there on closing day, but the players who were there pre-cu, etc - all of them. They weren't F2P gamers, they were subscribers who paid a monthly bill to SONY.

For example, Galactic Starfighter was pretty much the first time we all saw a space sim, since Jump to Lightspeed and before that, the early 90's. Now the space sim genre is about to explode. My point in short is that BIoware is responding to these threats who are making games with features from SWG who are also marketing to SWG gamers. Regardless of how much hatred and disgust you have for SWG (you write with such emotional conviction), the CEO's see money in this path and are paying developers to work on it. Your opinion isn't being taken into consideration by the industry, but the opinions of SWG gamers are.

Edited by HiddenPalm

Some of the new upcoming space sims are being marketed to all of the SWG vets, not just the players who were there on closing day, but the players who were there pre-cu, etc - all of them. They weren't F2P gamers, they were subscribers who paid a monthly bill to SONY.

For example, Galactic Starfighter was pretty much the first time we all saw a space sim, since Jump to Lightspeed and before that, the early 90's. Now the space sim genre is about to explode. My point in short is that BIoware is responding to these threats who are making games with features from SWG who are also marketing to SWG gamers. Regardless of how much hatred and disgust you have for SWG (you write with such emotional conviction), the CEO's see money in this path and are paying developers to work on it. Your opinion isn't being taken into consideration by the industry, but the opinions of SWG gamers are.

SWG gamers opinions are not being taken into consideration with the development of those games. If you believe this you would probably be diagnosed with delusions of grandeur. Those games are being developed because that's the game the developer wanted to make.

What fantasy land do you live in? SWG was a CANCER to SOE and "Star Wars". Disney doesn't give a flip about the 25,000 of you who were playing SWG at the end. For all the flaws this game has, the population of SWTOR is at least 10x's that of SWG in it's final 3 years.

I LOVED SWG...but I'm not a fool when it comes to remembering the incredible number of flaws it had.

Tux be telling it like it is.

SWG gamers opinions are not being taken into consideration with the development of those games. If you believe this you would probably be diagnosed with delusions of grandeur. Those games are being developed because that's the game the developer wanted to make.

"Delusions of grandeur" That's what Han said about Luke, right before he wrecked Jabba's entire world.

"The Repopulation - Round 3

A Sci-Fi based MMORPG which provides many of the same sandbox oriented features seen in Star Wars Galaxies and Ultima Online."

https://www.therepopulation.com/

"SOE’s Next Game ‘Dedicated’ To Star Wars Galaxies Fans"

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/28/soes-next-game-dedicated-to-star-wars-galaxies-fans/

Edited by HiddenPalm

Hmm... well, these days MMOs have to have a niche. Gone are the days of one MMO fits all. Obviously this game has a niche market that will remain come what may. There are no more MMO killers anymore because players cover a wide spectrum of likes and dislikes.

So.. yeah, SWTOR has nothing to fear from Wildstar or any other MMO for that matter. There will be an ebb and flow of players. As long as the profits keep rolling in it will not matter.

The notion of a mass exodus is ridiculous. Lol. It won't happen because while some may leave the core will remain about the same.

"Delusions of grandeur" That's what Han said about Luke, right before he wrecked Jabba's entire world.

A Sci-Fi based MMORPG which provides many of the same sandbox oriented features seen in Star Wars Galaxies and Ultima Online."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/28/soes-next-game-dedicated-to-star-wars-galaxies-fans/

“SWG PLAYERS – OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch it… you can come home now.” - SOE head John Smedley

Hence Bioware's teaser: "Welcome Home" for the housing. Hence my point of Bioware responding appropriately to the upcoming space sim/mmo era.

Indeed, because that's what the producers of the game decided they wanted to make, it wasn't because of the SWG players. There is a difference there you know. And I'm guessing they'll probably be just as populated as SWG was.

Indeed, because that's what the producers of the game decided they wanted to make, it wasn't because of the SWG players. There is a difference there you know. And I'm guessing they'll probably be just as populated as SWG was.

“SWG PLAYERS – OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch it… you can come home now.” - SOE head John Smedley, 2014

Edited by HiddenPalm