So, should I just keep at it or give up?

Devrius

Right now on the server I play on I can tell you how a match is going to go 80%+ of the time before it even starts by just looking over the people in the teams. The team synergy is just that intense in this game and the difficulties in even explaining why particular objectives are important just makes it worse when teams aren't on a voice comm channel.

That's not all servers, though, and I've seen a number of matches like that turned around because people didn't feel like losing. The other extreme is a defeatist attitude causing a loss. (Naturally, most matches are somewhere in the middle.)

That's not all servers, though, and I've seen a number of matches like that turned around because people didn't feel like losing. The other extreme is a defeatist attitude causing a loss. (Naturally, most matches are somewhere in the middle.)

Well can you recommend the more balanced servers ?

I'll also say that if you are bothered by losses or being blown up a lot, you could try asking good players to group, and run with them. If you are blowing up their tails, you are helping the group. This game is much better in a group.

I'll also say that if you are bothered by losses or being blown up a lot, you could try asking good players to group, and run with them. If you are blowing up their tails, you are helping the group. This game is much better in a group.

I was almost certian your advice would be "just get a gunship lolz, ets ezay maode man!"

Edited by Yndras

People on my server were talking about the vast gap between a green player and someone whose played since December and has a fully maxed out ship. One suggestion I liked was a shield and armor strength buff for players till they have 20 or so games in their legacy. It would prevent gunships 1 shooting someone when they are just starting out and actually allow people to learn how to fly.

Personally if I see a player really struggle in multiple games, I will whisper to offer advice or to let them know they will improve if they keep queing (please do not be a jerk and yell at the new people.). As I try to convert more and more of my guildies and friends from warzones to gsf, it has become very clear the tutorial does a very poor job explaining many aspects of the game. People are many times clueless about F1-F4 and how exactly secondary weapons and targeting works.

The biggest issue I noticed is not so much the beating I was taking, it's that basically until I had 40 something matches I didn't even have the right components (they are pretty expensive and some upgrades are so valuable you have to skip buying more components) and took a whole week to get a decent crew.

Now that I think about it maybe just make all components unlocked from the start, that way you get to play around with different builds before spending your precious first requisitions.

Right now you start ungeared, with the wrong components and the wrong crew, it's an up hill battle from the get go.

The biggest issue I noticed is not so much the beating I was taking, it's that basically until I had 40 something matches I didn't even have the right components (they are pretty expensive and some upgrades are so valuable you have to skip buying more components) and took a whole week to get a decent crew.

Now that I think about it maybe just make all components unlocked from the start, that way you get to play around with different builds before spending your precious first requisitions.

Right now you start ungeared, with the wrong components and the wrong crew, it's an up hill battle from the get go.

No, i disagree here. In the recent double XP weekend I was playing an alt and playing GSF for the extra XP. I didn't upgrade any of my ships and the stock ships are fine. They have granted more weaknesses that an upgraded ship, but the upgrades are there to enhance your style.

The defaults give you a very good base. For example the scout emphasises its design to be fast, and they give you engines abilities that match that play style. they give you shields that can be regenerated quickly on demand, and so on.

Will they be as strong as a mastered ship, maybe not, can they compete with a mastered ship, I believe so. The upgrades do more to change your play style than they do to provide you an advantage, sure the lasers do more damage, the shields take more damage, you survive a little more but the idea of the upgrades is to help you remove the weaknesses you have in your flying, or your opponants strengths and build to suit your style.

Then you make it more potent. The only reason the mastered ships are so powerfull is because the pilots using them understand them so well.

I can do particularly well, and top damage/kills in an un-mastered strike or scout, other times I cannot. Its just not the ships you are flying in or with or against in the equation, its the pilots as well.

No, i disagree here. In the recent double XP weekend I was playing an alt and playing GSF for the extra XP. I didn't upgrade any of my ships and the stock ships are fine. They have granted more weaknesses that an upgraded ship, but the upgrades are there to enhance your style.

The defaults give you a very good base. For example the scout emphasises its design to be fast, and they give you engines abilities that match that play style. they give you shields that can be regenerated quickly on demand, and so on.

Will they be as strong as a mastered ship, maybe not, can they compete with a mastered ship, I believe so. The upgrades do more to change your play style than they do to provide you an advantage, sure the lasers do more damage, the shields take more damage, you survive a little more but the idea of the upgrades is to help you remove the weaknesses you have in your flying, or your opponants strengths and build to suit your style.

Then you make it more potent. The only reason the mastered ships are so powerfull is because the pilots using them understand them so well.

I can do particularly well, and top damage/kills in an un-mastered strike or scout, other times I cannot. Its just not the ships you are flying in or with or against in the equation, its the pilots as well.

Yes a default ship will give a run for his money to a mastered one, in the hands of a seasoned pilot that is.

The only issue I have with GSF, well less now that I can actually contribute to the team, is that the current system doesn't help acquiring the necessary skills.

but I can see where unlocking all components can seem unfair to those who spent requisitions, maybe a better tutorial that allows to test all components fro each ship. Something to get the feel for what works and what doesn't.

Yes a default ship will give a run for his money to a mastered one, in the hands of a seasoned pilot that is.

That's interesting

Just looking at the numbers

Fully mastered ships will have

20% more armor

20% more shields

and minimally 20% more damage output

to give us

(health)x(firepower) = 1.44

or they are roughly 50% more effective before considering utility abilities.

I can certainly see how a base ship can get a kill on a fully enhanced ship but it's not where I would put my money.

That's interesting

Just looking at the numbers

Fully mastered ships will have

20% more armor

20% more shields

and minimally 20% more damage output

to give us

(health)x(firepower) = 1.44

or they are roughly 50% more effective before considering utility abilities.

I can certainly see how a base ship can get a kill on a fully enhanced ship but it's not where I would put my money.

I'm not even going to bother listing everything that's wrong with your math.

Please point out the errors

So far in this thread we have magic balanced servers that nobody can say what any of them are and now we have math errors that can't be pointed out.

One thing, your numbers don't apply to every ship equally, or every component. Not every ship gets a shield reactor, not every ship is going to go with reinforced armor (if they get an armor component), etc.

Getting into that isn't really worth it, though. A mastered ship will have an edge on a ship without any req, but the edge is not a massive one (and it's not nearly so massive as what I notice in ground PVP). And after just a couple tiers, you're really eating into that edge a lot. Starfighter is actually pretty balanced for the difference between a mastered ship and those still working their way up.

Keep it up, mate.

At first, GSF was a terrible experience for me. I crashed into everything. Then, after being halfway able to fly without acting like JarJar Binks, i got killed uncountable often.

One Month later, i score at least 2 or 3 kills per match and survive longer.

I am not the quickest learner, and play GSF from time to time, so i am nit a hardcore GSF-Pilot.

Keeps getting funnier c:

Definitely keep at it. I started at GSF's Free to Play debut, which is really recent. Now I'm an ace, and I am either at the top or near the top of the scoreboard every game, even on new characters that have no upgrades. You'll learn, and then you will dominate.

One thing, your numbers don't apply to every ship equally, or every component. Not every ship gets a shield reactor, not every ship is going to go with reinforced armor (if they get an armor component), etc.

Getting into that isn't really worth it, though. A mastered ship will have an edge on a ship without any req, but the edge is not a massive one (and it's not nearly so massive as what I notice in ground PVP). And after just a couple tiers, you're really eating into that edge a lot. Starfighter is actually pretty balanced for the difference between a mastered ship and those still working their way up.

I am sorry but the numbers I picked were absolutely minimal. I stayed away from anything that might be even a little controversial to analyze. There are none of the effects of cooldown abilities in there, nothing about improved sensors, better crew picks, or secondary effects from weapons.

The people in this thread are not doing the OP any favors. Matter of fact it looks like they are trying to encourage a stream of noobs to keep coming in so they can keep kicking the stuffings out of them.

To the OP,

I'm gonna beat a dead horse, but I hope you get where I'm coming from when I'm done.

Every match, pilot, ship and ship build out is different so being "good" is a matter of perspective. I think that a couple of my guildmates are some of the best on our server (Jedi Covenant. And damn my integrity because I'm not allowed to vote them to be Aces in the Aces thread) Because they usually always have top damage, kills and assists in every match we play together. My guildmates think I'm better than I do because I usually manage a good round with only 2 or 3 deaths and I am decent at bringing other ships in to our kills sack. They get 15+ kills 15+ and assists & 60+ damage a match and I am usually more around 5 - 8 kills and 10 - 15 assists and 30k damage.

Because most players in GSF measure suck vs ace by kill count and damage dealt, I suck big time. I personally have stopped looking at my kills to measure my skills, but my manual evasion (WW2 Pilots like my grandpa used to call that "barnstorming") and deaths.

I spent MANY matches on the PTS, early access and Live Launch just maneuvering, flying around stuff giving folks a target and pulling them into a kill box. I still spend MANY matches flying around and being annoying. I'm a scout, that is what I do.

Stop trying to measure your skill against Gunships that can get 15 - 20 kills a match without thinking about it. Stop comparing yourself to Bombers who can get 15 - 20 assists just by showing up to the party. Look at what your ship's role is built for and make your own measuring stick. Mine is maneuvering and deaths.

Yeah now all the "real aces" out there are saying "that's because you suck."

Yeah, so what.

To the OP,

I'm gonna beat a dead horse, but I hope you get where I'm coming from when I'm done.

Every match, pilot, ship and ship build out is different so being "good" is a matter of perspective. I think that a couple of my guildmates are some of the best on our server (Jedi Covenant. And damn my integrity because I'm not allowed to vote them to be Aces in the Aces thread) Because they usually always have top damage, kills and assists in every match we play together. My guildmates think I'm better than I do because I usually manage a good round with only 2 or 3 deaths and I am decent at bringing other ships in to our kills sack. They get 15+ kills 15+ and assists & 60+ damage a match and I am usually more around 5 - 8 kills and 10 - 15 assists and 30k damage.

Because most players in GSF measure suck vs ace by kill count and damage dealt, I suck big time. I personally have stopped looking at my kills to measure my skills, but my manual evasion (WW2 Pilots like my grandpa used to call that "barnstorming") and deaths.

I spent MANY matches on the PTS, early access and Live Launch just maneuvering, flying around stuff giving folks a target and pulling them into a kill box. I still spend MANY matches flying around and being annoying. I'm a scout, that is what I do.

Stop trying to measure your skill against Gunships that can get 15 - 20 kills a match without thinking about it. Stop comparing yourself to Bombers who can get 15 - 20 assists just by showing up to the party. Look at what your ship's role is built for and make your own measuring stick. Mine is maneuvering and deaths.

Yeah, so what.

I like this post. While I wish you could be getting more kills (cuz you're playing your class right, but you're prolly getting a crapload of assists), it's the role of your ship that's the main factor in this. If the OP keeps playing, he'll learn the ship roles better. After he reads this, I hope he continues.

* I'm like 200 matches away from Fleet Admiral (I made a couple toons on diff servers, which means it doesn't apply towards my main's legacy :( ), and I can say I've learned most between the 300-400 match range, because I had multiple ships with upgrades and could figure out what works and what doesn't simply by experimenting and not getting completely gimped by having a naked ship. Patience, padawan.

To the OP,

Yeah, so what.

To the OP,

Yeah, so what.

I've actually been doing that on my scout for a while now, last game (which we lost) I got 1/14/1 18k damage on my scout, I literally just poked people then ran back to the group and help down anyone foolish enough to tail me and separate from the group :)

I think a lot of people don't realize that the original question has been resolved and the OP's performance has dramatically improved with the advice presented.

Unless the OP has more questions, I think it's time we let this thread lie.

I think a lot of people don't realize that the original question has been resolved and the OP's performance has dramatically improved with the advice presented.

Unless the OP has more questions, I think it's time we let this thread lie.

Aye, please do.

I greatly appreciate the help, it really helped me out at a point I was seriously thinking of giving up.

Thanks everyone!