Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Suggestion: Merge TOFN, Darth Nihilus and Jar'Kai Sword

MidichIorian

I only can say, that JKS already lost many PVP players to TOFN. Just after the server transfer made available, all PVP top guilds moved over. But then BW decided to drop 8 players ranked and a lot of them quit.

Saying this, I don't think merging servers would be a big issue for German speaking players (my kids are playing LOL on an English server).

BTW, if BW would be smart, they could create dedicated instances for different languages (and PVP, PVE or RP) on one big European server.

But, it might be, that German and French servers are only existing, to avoid a too high population on one single server.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, it might be, that German and French servers are only existing, to avoid a too high population on one single server.

Some people claim that TOFN is rated differently, in terms of High/Full/Etc, than for instance The Red Eclipse. Not sure if this is true but if you look at fleet populations, which I assume are somewhat of a reflection of the server populations, TOFN is always far behind TRE. So there's room for a lot more players, assuming they're using the same server structure.

Edited by MidichIorian

Some people claim that TOFN is rated differently, in terms of High/Full/Etc, than for instance The Red Eclipse. Not sure if this is true but if you look at fleet populations, which I assume is somewhat of a reflection of the entire server population, TOFN is always far behind TRE. So there's room for a lot more players, assuming they're using the same server structure.

JKS has around 150-200 players (in 1.5 instances) on the republic fleet every evening, let's assume, that TOFN has around 300 and the French server 150-200 as well, this would mean, an European PVP server needs to be able to handle 600-700 players (republic fleet only), I'm not sure if this would work with the existing software.

Edited by DerTaran

...............But perhaps i don't fully understand how things work in MMO'es, on behalf of this being my first one. I will say this though, I have never had as few social interactions with other players in an online game as I've had in this one. In shooters I'd talk to a ton of players every day but in this one there's really no need for it, give or take team arena and a first run through some Hm/NiM (this only affects a small % of the population). Are people hoarding to MMO'es to sit and chat? Maybe that's the part I dont get. The social interactions I've had in other games have always been a side-effect of required in-game talk, you start by talking about what you're going to do in the game and it leads to more personal conversations..............

MMO players will tell you that you must use a voice based program to be effective in either OPS or PVP. We all know that this is just not true. Many people who play MMOs have no lives, this game is essentially it, and they need to get their social intercourse here online.

I utterly despise chat programs, I have zero interest in what people are having for their dinner or where they going this evening. I am here to play the game. Player characters are nothing more than an enhanced form of AI.

So for me, they can type, speak in any language they want, I am not interested. MMOs as a social game died when we started pandering to the same players who play GTA4 on their consoles.

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

Duran'del here:

I have to stop you for a moment here and ask, whatsup with the "Hello, mister super important here, listen up kids"

Why start everything you write with "Duran'del here", yes we know it's you...we get it, just tell me if this is a medical condition and i will accept and move on, i just need an explanation cause its driving me nuts reading it :S

Just to take a different approach to the idea, instead of merging the server with different languages together, would it be possible to merge servers of the same language instead, i.e the PvP, PvE and RP servers in a particular region.

So TOFN, Red Eclipse and The Progenitor join up. This would increase the populations dramatically for both PvP and PvE.

When you first log in after the merge or when you start a new account there you are asked what sort of player you want to be, PvE, PvP or RP. Players who select PvE can toggle their PvP flags off and on like they do at present, PvP players however can not do that and are permanently flagged for PvP. And RP players have their own general chat, they can see the normal what but they have to choose to turn it on, by default they only see RP Chat.

This idea could be applied to the 3 English server, the 3 French Servers and the 3 German Servers, as well as the US East Coast and West Coast servers.

Thing is even if everyone wanted to go for a mega server approach I suspect we'd get the same response from BW as we do for cross-server, "technically challenging and not enough resources" or to translate "we don't want to spend any money", I hate accountants :mad:

I have to stop you for a moment here and ask, whatsup with the "Hello, mister super important here, listen up kids"

Why start everything you write with "Duran'del here", yes we know it's you...we get it, just tell me if this is a medical condition and i will accept and move on, i just need an explanation cause its driving me nuts reading it :S

I could start every post I make with "Hey Exilove here" from now on :rolleyes:

Just to take a different approach to the idea, instead of merging the server with different languages together, would it be possible to merge servers of the same language instead, i.e the PvP, PvE and RP servers in a particular region.

So TOFN, Red Eclipse and The Progenitor join up. This would increase the populations dramatically for both PvP and PvE.

When you first log in after the merge or when you start a new account there you are asked what sort of player you want to be, PvE, PvP or RP. Players who select PvE can toggle their PvP flags off and on like they do at present, PvP players however can not do that and are permanently flagged for PvP. And RP players have their own general chat, they can see the normal what but they have to choose to turn it on, by default they only see RP Chat.

This idea could be applied to the 3 English server, the 3 French Servers and the 3 German Servers, as well as the US East Coast and West Coast servers.

Thing is even if everyone wanted to go for a mega server approach I suspect we'd get the same response from BW as we do for cross-server, "technically challenging and not enough resources" or to translate "we don't want to spend any money", I hate accountants :mad:

Ehm, no. I don't want PvE ******* on my server. If you wander around in the open contested world here, you are prone to be attacked. Period. Either you like it or not.

My native language is aztek. Sometimes i see unknown terrible words in the chat "WTS", "LFG", "*** u doing noobs", "nice call fss", "fc pugs" etc. And thx google translate!

But I know that the best international call in WZ is the word "Aaaaaaaaaa"

Edited by Mega_Fallos

3. Politics: Say something happens to the French Ambassador in England. The french start to harass English players in PvP, PvE, or even through PMs.

If this happens in these times I am sure that in-game harassment will be my main worry. ROFL.And ofc server separation locks them out. Sprichst du keine Englische? Diese Server ist nicht für dich denn.

Please prefix your posts with the your usual tag so we know what is about to come. ROFL

Impossible. Have you ver tried doing even an hm fp with pvpers that storm in and use dcds to prevent a cap or pvp with pvers with 0 expertise?

If it's special treatment, then how wouldn't it be special treatment to only have English as a language ?

You can't make a server for every single European language. You have to take the most common denominator and that's English. Hence, English servers are not a concession to native English speakers, primarly, and that's why no counterbalancing of the other two self entitled major players in Europe is needed here. And even if one wanted to counterbalance: To have French and German servers wouldn't provide any kind of redemption to Hungarian, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Italian etc. native speakers.

So take it as it is: We have French and German servers as a concession to the fact that France and Germany are the biggest single European markets; and we have English servers for the rest of the continent because English is the most spoken foreign language.

Edited by Cretinus

Zelí here (for my friend Watcher :D ), to add my 0.2cents:

I am native Czech speaker. I played only WoW before this SWTOR, where due to it's massive popularity worldwide is also Czech and Slovak (like in an old times of Czechoslovakia) server even though our countries are minor markets. And after 10 years even with decrease of WoW's population server still works. I need to mention that we have Czech server, yet support and game client are still in English.

I played beta of SWTOR. There were plenty of servers back in a day and Bioware announced there will be also servers for less spoken languages like Czech and Slovak (of course together again). But I was not here in the launch.

I started with SWTOR shortly after F2P came into existence. After 2 weeks I subbed. Nevertheless my first choice and the last was ToFN. I was told by friends that I should choose some German server or maybe French, because of latency (for non Europe players - Czech Republic is neighbor of Germany). Problem is that I cannot speak a word French and barely understand some sentences in German. Thus I was kind of forced into English server.

Surprise, surprise, I see Czech and Slovak language in general chat on ToFN on daily basis. Same as Polish, Russian, Italian and tons of others more than English.

That's why I do not see any problems to merge servers in Europe. EU is artificially created commonalty of different countries with totally different historical background. If we consider ourselves still divided like in the past, well we should not continue with EU project either (last research in my country shows that 60% of nation would like to separate from EU and we are all happy we do not have €).

Conclusion:

I support OP's idea.

Edited by duigha

I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

When the server transfers first happened there was a meeting between all the pvp guilds to discuss who would move to ToFN, the vast majority moved across in the hope that an increased player base would facilitate more ranked PvP.

What happened is all the big fish in little ponds got destroyed by the top end teams, stopped queueing, gave up and / or moved back to their original server. The French teams were especially effective at this retreat strategy.

Exactly the same thing would happen if a forced merge happened except with no where to go the players would need to quit the game entirely. There aren't enough teams to get the ELO to work effectively, people are turned off 4v4 arena as the only form of ranked PvP and lots of PvP guild quit / disbanded at the removal of 8 man.

Now if they launched some mega PvP patch, more warzones, bring back 8 man and you know; the things every other MMO has, then they could try to resuscitate ranked but it's pretty dead at the moment.

I totally support OP idea!

We need moar dedicated pvp players in one place! Shorter times for wz/arenas queues! Whats the language on warzones? 2 Inc snow! HAAAALP west! Take mid ffs! PASS ME NOOB! OMG... gg... there can understand anyone! No matter, english, deutch , francias, spain or sweden, its pvp'er! This is common sense :D

And yes, english is my 2nd language and not native :p

Irisa here,

While I am all in favor for this idea one should point out that for the past two years, since I have been on TOFN, many have started shouting and insulting because of non english dialogues in general. I have nothing against that as I myself speak 6 languages but there comes a time when I need to close general chat because some 'politically TOFN English PVP Server speak English macho' decides to educate all with ghetto language. This server is suffering a lot and it is no secret it has the lowest population in Europe.

Edited by Leafy_Bug

How can someone prefer an almost dead server just because is the only place where he can speak his own language?

Do you really want to wait for hours to do a flashpoint just because you can write in your own language?

Is this a game or a social network?

I've completed 2 operations on Jar'Kai Sword and I don't understand a single word of German (except for "leute" that should mean "group" and I've learnt it while playing here)

I am REALLY tired of endless waiting in the queue, and I really don't mind if they make a huge server without any language differentiation. I only care about playing and having the best experience, and this is all about actually doing something in-game instead of wandering through capital ships while waiting for the group finder to do its job.

Just my 2 cents.

Irisa here,

While I am all in favor for this idea one should point out that for the past two years, since I have been on TOFN, many have started shouting and insulting because of non english dialogues in general. I have nothing against that as I myself speak 6 languages but there comes a time when I need to close general chat because some 'politically TOFN English PVP Server speak English macho' decides to educate all with ghetto language. This server is suffering a lot and it is no secret it has the lowest population in Europe.

Did you just 'Duran'del' it up? Ew... :rak_02:

tl:dr = you'd force people to speak english to shorten the time you wait for pvp pops

Wow, just wow.

You're not forcing anyone, English server doesn't mean that everyone must speak English.

The English server is more like an international server in which everyone speaks the language he wants.

I mean, having both German and French together doesn't mean that a French should learn German because he can keep on talking with his French buddies, just like he did on the dedicated server.

So, when there's no low population, merging the servers won't make any difference.

It becomes useful when there's low population on a server: if they don't merge the servers, you'll probably wait in an endless queue and, eventually, you'll logout without playing a single match. If they merge, you have more chances to play.

As I already wrote, we're talking about a GAME, I don't mind reading chat messages writing in another language because I just want to play.

If I got just 1 hour each day, why should I waste it in a queue without being able to play and just because you want to chat in your own language?

There's Facebook for this.

So, to summarize, here are 4 user cases:

1) Unmerged servers, little number of online players: you can't play but you still can write in your language

2) Unmerged servers, high number of online players: you can play and you can write in your language

3) Merged servers, little number of online players: you are likely to play and there's a chance that you can even write in your language

4) Merged servers, high number of online players: you will play and you can write in your language

For many it is the latter I am afraid.

Yeah...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.