Blaster Rifles for Powertechs and Commandos

Korithras

There is no reason for a powertech not to use a rifle, this has been brought up before, and it would be more true to the class to use one when you consider the most infamous bounty hunter in Star Wars lore, Boba Fett, used a blaster carbine. That's been said a thousand times before on this forum. So now that that's out of the way?

Allow commandos to use blaster rifles instead of pigeon-holing us into using assault cannons. Right now the setup is, yes, we can still equip one but we're unable to use certain abilities. Lift this restriction. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-assault cannon, but sometimes I'd like to carry around something that's a bit less cumbersome in it's appearance.

I have supported this for forever and will continue to. There was big long thread about this not too long ago but I couldn't find it when I looked again for it. I believe it was stated by somebody that they said they wanted to open up some weapon types more but surprisingly it would be difficult for blaster classes (and easier for the Jedi)

A blaster rifle for those two classes have been asked for as a weapon change probably more than any other. If Commando could use a blaster rifle effectively I would make one. Also with a PT now being my main, I would do just about anything to equip a blaster rifle, it is much more iconic than a single pistol and would really help make my BH have more of the vibe I have been trying to get for him.

My suggestion if these things were hard, would be to introduce more weapon options for different classes one at a time or so and start with the easy ones. For instance the PT only has two blaster animations, the standard rapid shots and Unload. So in reality every single class has the same standard ranged animation so that's done, then they could just use the trooper's full auto animation for unload and BAM, now animations are taken care of and PT has more choices. I would think that would be easy, and PT in particular has wanted a rifle so long that I think it would be a good starting point. It would make many PT's happy and make everybody else look forward to being able to change their weapon types in the future if everything works well with PT and rifles.

Commando's can use a blaster rifle because you started Trooper with a rifle and branched off into assault cannon, it's just your heals/damage won't be as effective.

Right. Because they negate us from using certain abilities, core abilities at that, at all with the blaster rifle for no reason other than to force us to use the assault cannon.

Please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD let me use a rifle on my commando without nerfing my DPS! Stop forcing cookie cutter setups just because it's "easier"...

Better not hold my breath though since every answer at the last cantina event was "too difficult" to implement.

/signed

Normally I find Dual-wielding to be silly. But carrying a single blaster pistol while wearing the biggest and heaviest armor in the game makes Powertechs looks incredibly stupid, so I went with a Merc. Had Powertechs carried rifles, I'd have gone with one for sure. It's especially dumb when considering Agents, who should be using pistols, but bizarrely carry rifles. I have no idea what the devs were thinking there.

Edited by Millardkillmoore

• 2 weeks later...
they are never gonna change it if they cant make money off of it, consider how to monetize it and it might happen.

/signed (with or without monetization)

Offer "weapon proficiency: blaster rifle" and "weapon proficiency: blaster pistol" in the next cartel packs or as direct-selling unlocks. Or sell blaster rifles or pistols visually disguised as the other in the cartel market as unlocks.

NO!

What they should do however is give a Visual to the shield. Wouldn't it be cool if it looked like, idk, XV-8s from 40k? Whatever the Visual would be, it'd make us 100% more cool and unique than giving us a Rifle. While we're at it, change all Scoundrel ranged attack to the Shotgun. Thanks!

Single pistol is VERY cool and unique as well. Shotgun as well. Win/win

NO!

What they should do however is give a Visual to the shield. Wouldn't it be cool if it looked like, idk, XV-8s from 40k? Whatever the Visual would be, it'd make us 100% more cool and unique than giving us a Rifle.

The point of the rifle is to look like the Bounty Hunters featured in Star Wars, which almost all use rifles. The only time in the films that a Bounty Hunter used a single pistol was when Jango Fett lost his 2nd pistol.

An arm-mounted shield (I googled XV-8 and 40k and saw what I think is what you mean, I could be wrong) would bring us even further from the Bounty Hunters in Star Wars, and would probably aggravate more people than it would satisfy.

It doesn't have to look like that(seeing how we're just a people in a suit of Armour vs robotic suit). Now we've come to the Main point of being a BH:

Versatility.

Technically, we should be able to use every weapon except a lightsaber. Just look at our current arsenal(rail gun, Rocket launcher, Flamethrower, retractable blade, pistol, cannon, bombs etc). But I would like to see shield present yes. Plus it's stupid to Base your BH on some other seeing how different and free we are. Just look at those Ugnaughts on Nar. LOL. Imagine playing the whole BH team.

Imo.

Edit: Anyhow, /signed for the benefit of others.

Edited by Cuiwe

Keep it up there! I agree with everyone, Bioware's reasoning behind it is... to be honest, retarded. Nearly every gosh darned Bounty Hunter NPC in the game is using a rifle... why can't we?

/signed

Edit: ... Are you serious? ARE YOU SERIOUS!? "GOSH DARNED"!?!? I didn't realise I was NED FLANDERS! -.-

Edited by Darth-Rion

Commando heals can use a Rifle and not have their heals gimped...only the dps abilities which can come in handy sometimes. But that's about it.

I agree though...I would roll a Powertech if I could use a BR.

You do gimp yourself using a rifle. Blaster Rifles have lower base tech power than assault cannons, someone did a test and lost about 3% DPS from using a rifle. I'm not taking a 3% nerf over a cosmetic issue.

If they bring the base tech power of rifles up to match Assault Cannons then they will have to adjust VG/Operatives overall because the way their damage/healing is calculated will have changed. Then they will also have to adjust pistols base tech power because the mirrors of those classes use pistols. Which will change how Snipers and Gunslingers are balanced because GS's use pistols.

So every tech class would have to be adjusted to the new tech power values on weapons over a cosmetic issue.