Questions: Round II

Xinika

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CS x3? Where?

If you keep doing that after no longer capping energy you are doing it wrong.

yeah no one ever said it was a consistent problem. i mentioned it, saying i can't stand when it does happen, and i'd go on to say even even the idea that CSx2 is normal bothers me, which is why i'd like the ability to use low slash efficiently. (or just a higher rate of shadow strikes and breaches in general to have a similar effect. i feel like a broken record....)

EDIT: i'll amend that, the way i see the spec in it's ideal state, CSx2 will be inevitable every couple of shock rotations. so normal isn't the right word, the fact that it's so much more frequent than i think is necessary is what bothers me i guess.

Edited by thejollygreenone

The rotation is ever changing because of the priority system. I can't say using 2 CS in a row is any worse then a Gunslingers Dirty fighting it's pretty much an 8 button rotation, 2 of which are repeated (and it's stupid how much dmg it does).

I look at the Infil rotation as what do I need to put before my Project. CS is filler. I'd like to see Saber Strike and the 2 pcs set bonus have a greater effect then it does.

• 2 weeks later...

Revisions on my own suggestions to fix PvE DPS for both Infiltration and Balance.

~ Infiltration ~

Infiltration Tactics

Effect changes:

Clairvoyant Strike, Double Strike and Spinning Strike have a [33 / 66 / 100]% chance to grant Infiltration Tactics, causing your next Shadow Strike to deal 30% more damage, cost 75% less Force and automatically crit on non-player targets. This effect can only occur every 7.5 seconds after both charges are consumed.

Reasons for change:

Fixes idiotic PROC+rate limit and crit chances dependant sustained damage without affecting PvP too much

Shadow Technique

Effect changes:

Assumes a shadow technique, giving your melee attacks a 100% chance to deal X internal damage and build 1 Breaching Shadow. Breaching Shadows stack up to 3 times and increase the damage dealt by your next Force Breach. This effect cannot occur more than once every 4.5 seconds. Requires a double-bladed lightsaber or electrostaff. Does not break Stealth.

Reasons for change:

Fixes idiotic PROC+rate limit and avoid Project to double PROC Breaching Shadow (with Clarivoyance)

~ Balance ~

Force Technique

Effect changes:

Assumes a Force technique, making your attacks deal X kinetic damage. This effect cannot occur more than once every 3 seconds. Requires a double-bladed lightsaber or electrostaff. Does not break Stealth.

Reasons for change:

Fixes idiotic PROC+rate limit

Force Breach

Effect changes:

Force Technique: Strikes up to 5 nearby enemies, dealing X periodic kinetic damage over 18 seconds.

Reasons for change:

Makes Balance an actual AoE spec

Lambaste

Effect changes:

Whirling Blow now costs 50% less Force and automatically triggers Force Technique on affected targets on a separate rate limit. Aditionally hits targets affected by your Force Technique's Breach effect for X kinetic damage.

Reasons for change:

Mental Defense (becomes "Balanced Strike")

Effect changes:

Melee attacks on a target affected by your Sever Force effect have [50 / 100]% chance to grant Balanced Strike, which makes your next Shadow Strike costs [50 / 100]% less Force and automatically crits on non-player targets. This effect cannot occur more than once every 9 seconds.

Reasons for change:

Allows for a burst increase, less Double Strike spam, better Force management and better swapping output (not to mention giving back the class signature move to the only spec missing it)

Force Strike

Effect changes:

Melee attacks that strike a target affected by your Force Technique's Breach effect have a 100% chance to finish the cooldown on Mind Crush and make your next Mind Crush activate instantly and cost 100% less Force. This effect cannot occur more than once every 7.5 seconds.

Reasons for change:

~ Infiltration & Balance ~

Stalker 2-pieces Bonus Set

Effect changes:

Saber Strike hits restore 2 Force.

Reasons for change:

Slightly better Force management and makes up for the 90% accuracy on Saber Strike

~ Consular ~

Force Potency

Effect changes:

Grants 2 charges of Force Potency, which makes your direct attacks and heals automatically crit and increases the range of Telekinetic Throw to 30 meters. Each time a direct Force ability critically hits, you lose 1 charge. Lasts 20 seconds.

Reasons for change:

No more wasted charges because of bad luck

~ General ~

Seperate, customizable windows

• Self buffs
  • Self debuffs
  • Target's buffs
  • My target's debuffs
  • Others target's debuffs

EDIT:

If you think the changes I'm proposing on Infiltration Tactics would be OP in PvE... Take a look at Scoundrel Scrapper and Operative Concealment DPS!

Edited by SalvorHardin

Not big on the autocrit at shadow strike. Our burst is already out of control. But it's worth testing.

The Autocrit on Potency should have been there from launch tbh. That is essentially what it does when it functions properly anyway. But wasting charges? Nah, doesn't happen.

Edited by Evolixe

Revisions on my own suggestions to fix PvE DPS for both Infiltration and Balance.

~ Infiltration ~

Infiltration Tactics

Effect changes:

Clairvoyant Strike, Double Strike and Spinning Strike have a [33 / 66 / 100]% chance to grant Infiltration Tactics, causing your next Shadow Strike to deal 30% more damage, cost 75% less Force and automatically crit on non-player targets. This effect can only occur every 7.5 seconds after both charges are consumed.

Reasons for change:

Fixes idiotic PROC+rate limit and crit chances dependant sustained damage without affecting PvP too much

Shadow Technique

Effect changes:

Assumes a shadow technique, giving your melee attacks a 100% chance to deal X internal damage and build 1 Breaching Shadow. Breaching Shadows stack up to 3 times and increase the damage dealt by your next Force Breach. This effect cannot occur more than once every 4.5 seconds. Requires a double-bladed lightsaber or electrostaff. Does not break Stealth.

Reasons for change:

Fixes idiotic PROC+rate limit and avoid Project to double PROC Breaching Shadow (with Clarivoyance)

~ Balance ~

Force Technique

Effect changes:

Assumes a Force technique, making your attacks deal X kinetic damage. This effext cannot occur more than once every 3 seconds. Requires a double-bladed lightsaber or electrostaff. Does not break Stealth.

Reasons for change:

Force Breach

Effect changes:

Force Technique: Strikes up to 5 nearby enemies, dealing X periodic kinetic damage over 18 seconds.

Reasons for change:

Lambaste

Effect changes:

Whirling Blow now costs 50% less Force and automatically triggers Force Technique on affected targets on a separate rate limit. Aditionally hits targets affected by your Force Technique's Breach effect for X kinetic damage.

Reasons for change:

Mental Defense (becomes "Balanced Strike")

Effect changes:

Melee attacks on a target affected by your Sever Force effect have [50 / 100]% chance to grant Balanced Strike, which makes your next Shadow Strike costs [50 / 100]% less Force and automatically crits on non-player targets. This effect cannot occur more than once every 9 seconds.

Reasons for change:

Allows for a burst increase, less Double Strike spam, better Force management and better swapping output (not to mention giving back the class signature move to the only spec missing it)

Force Strike

Effect changes:

Melee attacks that strike a target affected by your Force Technique's Breach effect have a 100% chance to finish the cooldown on Mind Crush and make your next Mind Crush activate instantly and cost 100% less Force. This effect cannot occur more than once every 7.5 seconds.

Reasons for change:

~ Infiltration & Balance ~

Stalker 2-pieces Bonus Set

Effect changes:

Saber Strike hits restore 2 Force.

Reasons for change:

Slightly better Force management and makes up for the 90% accuracy on Saber Strike

~ Consular ~

Force Potency

Effect changes:

Grants 2 charges of Force Potency, which makes your direct attacks and heals automatically crit and increases the range of Telekinetic Throw to 30 meters. Each time a direct Force ability critically hits, you lose 1 charge. Lasts 20 seconds.

Reasons for change:

No more wasted charges because of bad luck

~ General ~

Seperate, customizable windows

• Self buffs
  • Self debuffs
  • Target's buffs
  • My target's debuffs
  • Others target's debuffs

EDIT:

If you think the changes I'm proposing on Infiltration Tactics would be OP in PvE... Take a look at Scoundrel Scrapper and Operative Concealment DPS!

I think that auto-crit on Shadow strike is REALLY strong. Crazy strong. Possibly even too strong. Give it an increased crit chance, and I think it would be okay, but auto-crit might be too much. I'd also be concerned with dotting up 5 targets at once with Breach, but as long as the DoT isn't too strong, I think it could be okay. Would be nice to see a little bit of AOE for Infiltration, though.

I was feeling lazy yesterday and didn't do any math to see if the auto-crit on Shadow Strike was OP or not. Anyway I checked the numbers today, and it is NOT OP. Take the best Shadow Infiltration parse out here: Evolixe's. If you change every Shadow Strike in there to a crit, you get 3.714k DPS... Still pretty far from the 4.1 you can see on some Concealment but I'd be happy with it.

Evo, I'm not talking about wasted FP charges on Infiltration as it never happens to me either... But it does happen way too much when I play Balance or Hybrid. As for the burst, well to be honest I don't see it to be much of a change during our actual burst phases but more of a change during our "filler phases".

Aelanis, the problem is that you can only use so much Shadow Strike during a fight. No matter the theoretical crit chance you're supposed to have on it, it can go either way because at best you get to use it 30 times. I have parses with 15% crit on it and some with +50%. I have 25% melee crit chance and I try to keep Infiltration Tactics for a Force Syngery window.

Edited by SalvorHardin

So what, nobody gives a **** about burst on mobs anyway.

Your tanks do. Honestly we have plenty of it as it stands. The strongest burst spec in the game doesn't need more than it already has.

Hell I sometimes already manage to overaggro our tank even with a guard on if he misses 1 ability in his opening sequence. What if Shadow Strike would autocrit.. he would hate me :/

Even with an auto-crit Shadow Strike, a Combat Sentinel with a lucky crit streak in his opener wil outburst anyone.

An opener with Spinning Kick > BR + FP + Force Breach > Shadow Strike > CS > CS > Project > Shadow Strike with everything crit'ing gives a 4.5 to 5K DPS... Something very common for Combat Sentinels.

I main a Shadow Tank and I had a Combat Sentinel who would occasionally open with +5K in the first 10 seconds. The only problem I had was with pulling Bestia in the Dread Council fight because he wasn't guarded and I can't use TKT before the first knockback so I have to delay it. Well all I did was changing my opener to fit both taunts before TKT and I never had a problem again. I also could have guarded him first and then switch after his opener but that wasn't even necessary.

Even with an auto-crit Shadow Strike, a Combat Sentinel with a lucky crit streak in his opener wil outburst anyone.

An opener with Spinning Kick > BR + FP + Force Breach > Shadow Strike > CS > CS > Project > Shadow Strike with everything crit'ing gives a 4.5 to 5K DPS... Something very common for Combat Sentinels.

I main a Shadow Tank and I had a Combat Sentinel who would occasionally open with +5K in the first 10 seconds. The only problem I had was with pulling Bestia in the Dread Council fight because he wasn't guarded and I can't use TKT before the first knockback so I have to delay it. Well all I did was changing my opener to fit both taunts before TKT and I never had a problem again. I also could have guarded him first and then switch after his opener but that wasn't even necessary.

I don't use spinning kick, hell i dont even spec into the off icd infiltration tactics talent.

No. I open with a Force Breach right off the bat, then a Project without any Circling Shadows stacks.

Then 2 Clairs and a Shadow Strike.. you're not going to keep aggro from that initial 15k TPS, not even with a guard, sorry.

Just to give you an idea of what you should expect from that:

I am full Best in Slot (78 Dread Forged) geared. Taken you open with an adrenal, and your relics proc before your Shadow Strike theise numbers are very common.

Breach does about 10.5k damage.

Project does about 7k with 3.5k on the 45% chance proc.

Clairvoyance will already have its crit increase because of the initial opener granting it a 55% chance to crit, does about 6k damage per use.

Shadow Strike does about 12k damage on a crit.

Now this opener, obeying the GCD, would deal 10.5k > 10.5k > 6k > 6k > 12k = 45k damage in just 5 globals.

That is 7,5 seconds.

That translates to 6k DPS. And it is more severe if the Shadow Strike Proc comes earlier.

Or hits even harder (I've seen it do as much as 13.6k)

But that is not all, if there is a preparation time, you can also cast a Mind Crush prematurely. Even further pushing the burst. Since the Mind Crush doesn't really have a Global Cooldown at the moment it hits, you can instantly use your next ability.

Edited by Evolixe

I also main a shadow tank and one guard goes on one ranged damage dealer, while my guard goes on Evolixe because of his insane opener. I have no issues keeping our 7k opener ataru sentinel in check without a guard, especially at Council. I always open on bestia first and use resilience to avoid her first force push which allows me to channel my tk just fine. You should note that TK has lost a portion of its threat due to heal removal. Peruse your logs and you will notice that TK is not as good as it used to be. Do not rely on TK for threat anymore. So you got a top gear top tip there, have no fear, count globals or watch for the animations so you can time your resilience on the first push.

These are threat nowadays not tk :D

Irisa's Slow Time critically hits Gate Commander Draxus for 2135* kinetic damage, causing 6405 threat!

Irisa's Project critically hits Gate Commander Draxus for 2531* kinetic damage, causing 5821 threat!

Now look at TK and add all of them up and you will see the threat from it is not as good as in the past.

Edited by Leafy_Bug

TK is still the most threat worth for 1 potency, I did tell you :p

Not the most bursty threat, no. But definitely the most important to keep using on potency.

Granted but potency is on a long cooldown and if you use potency on project and slowtime, if critical, their threat is almost similar to potency + tk.. I have tested this at thrasher when we were farming speeders ;).

Edited by Leafy_Bug

Pretty sure TK gives you 9k threat

(3 per tick)

And without potency that'd be more like 5k.

Project on the other hand, is going to do 3k threat either way.. so the potency only gives you 2.2k threat :/

Same story with ST.

Pretty sure TK gives you 9k threat

(3 per tick)

And without potency that'd be more like 5k.

Project on the other hand, is going to do 3k threat either way.. so the potency only gives you 2.2k threat :/

Same story with ST.

Please see my log. The threat on project and slowtime is using a different modifier. My earlier post shows this ;). How is this 3k? :D

Irisa's Slow Time critically hits Gate Commander Draxus for 2135* kinetic damage, causing 6405 threat!

Irisa's Project critically hits Gate Commander Draxus for 2531* kinetic damage, causing 5821 threat!

Now add them up :D

Edited by Leafy_Bug

Please see my log. The threat on project and slowtime is using a different modifier. My earlier post shows this ;). How is this 3k? :D

If it wouldn't crit since no potency. duh :p

But now back on topic:

04:08:43.472 Irisa's Slow Time critically hits Gate Commander Draxus for 2135* kinetic damage, causing 6405 threat!

This would take you 2 GCDs.

By this time I already launched my 10.5k Force Breach and 10.5k Project. Equalling 21k threat.

With a guard, that would be 10.5k. Which is still BORDERLINE with what you are capable of opening with.

That is why an instantanuous guaranteed shadow strike crit after that would just be silly. Leafy, or any other tank for that matter would be incapable of holding aggro on that even with a guard slapped on my face. He can't do 17k threat in 3gcds on a single target, it just doesn't happen.

And surely I won't need to remind you that the actual opening DPS would be 34k in 3 globals = ~11333 DPS.

Edited by Evolixe

If it wouldn't crit since no potency. duh :p

But now back on topic:

This would take you 2 GCDs.

By this time I already launched my 10.5k Force Breach and 10.5k Project. Equalling 21k threat.

With a guard, that would be 10.5k. Which is still BORDERLINE with what you are capable of opening with.

That is why an instantanuous guaranteed shadow strike crit after that would just be silly. Leafy, or any other tank for that matter would be incapable of holding aggro on that even with a guard slapped on my face. He can't do 17k threat in 3gcds on a single target, it just doesn't happen.

We will test this next time we raid, I put a resolve stim +attack adrenal. I will change my rotation, so I open a bit differently. I am sure I can keep close to your numbers. I am talking about a perfect scenario because if one of my abilities is resisted( no acc) you may pull either way. If all lands on the boss, we will be on the same page with threat and I have a taunt :D. I should have over 850 melee bonus damage as tank in this scenario :D. I will also use the sentinel boundless ages trick, so I have a bit of power from the start :D.

#challenge accepted :cool:

Edited by Leafy_Bug

We will test this next time we raid, I put a resolve stim +attack adrenal. I will change my rotation, so I open a bit differently. I am sure I can keep close to your numbers. I am talking about a perfect scenario because if one of my abilities are resisted( no acc) you may pull either way. If all lands on the boss, we will be on the same page with threat and I have a taunt :D. I should have over melee bonus damage as tank in this scenario :D. I will also use the sentinel boundless ages trick, so I have a bit of power from the start :D.

My point is just that if I can pull aggro off you with a guard on me due to a damage buff to the class.. would make it kind of a little overdone buff.

Sure we need more damage, but not in the form of burst. I'm merely explaining theise people how dangerously close we already are.

If you are forced to use a taunt on me overaggroing you with a guard on, something is wrong. That is a wasted taunt that might be able to save someone elses life 6 seconds later.

My point is just that if I can pull aggro off you with a guard on me due to a damage buff to the class.. would make it kind of a little overdone buff.

Sure we need more damage, but not in the form of burst. I'm merely explaining theise people how dangerously close we already are.

If you are forced to use a taunt on me overaggroing you with a guard on, something is wrong. That is a wasted taunt that might be able to save someone elses life 6 seconds later.

I am not easily phased as you can attest from our raids. My standard opener is :

(stealth), force pull+force speed +project (you already pulled aggro here). I leave the boss on you, I continue with slowtime, force breach, +taunt, etc. So as you can see, I do not risk the fight because you pulled. You have two globals where you will take some damage but you are a smart player and you will survive.

Of course you are correct. The front burst you have is no match for my safe opener unless I resort to random ghetto tricks as I explained above. In any case, instant shadow strike crits will make life even harder and force tanks to taunt boost / fluff etc. I am not a big fan of that, my job is to hold aggro and I do it pretty well.

Bottom line : shadows are the only class in the game that can pull aggro, with guard, in two gcds from any tank. Every other dps calss has its high hitters after the first two globals.

My typos are over 9000! gome home irisa, you drunk!

Edited by Leafy_Bug

And surely I won't need to remind you that the actual opening DPS would be 34k in 3 globals = ~11333 DPS.

Woops, I messed that up. I keep forgetting that a GCD in SWTOR is 1.5s and not 1.0s as it was for my Rogue in WoW :p

Anyways, that would still put you at 7555DPS. Which is a good deal ahead of the tank anyhow.

If you'd start out with a mind crush before the pull, you can add a flat out 2k on top of that.

Which would make you pull aggro through a guard easily.

Now this opener, obeying the GCD, would deal 10.5k > 10.5k > 6k > 6k > 12k = 45k damage in just 5 globals.

That is 7,5 seconds.

That translates to 6k DPS. And it is more severe if the Shadow Strike Proc comes earlier.

Combat Sentinels say "hello", and it's even more severe (10.5k DPS over 7.2 seconds due to GCD shortening). The burst just doesn't come quite as instantly, which is why I think Infil is more scary.

Incidentally, 6k DPS debuffed by guard is 4.5k TPS. All three of the tanks can burst up to and sustain over 7k TPS (when max geared and not missing) for the first 13.5 seconds. Between that and taunt fluffing, there's really no excuse for losing threat over that period of time.

Now, with that said, your opener will pull threat on the second GCD if you're not guarded. No tank can build 21k threat by the second GCD. The most any tank can do is about 19k by the second GCD, and guaranteeing that threat requires sub-optimal use of a cooldown (and a sub-optimal longer-term rotation). 15.7k (with guard) is quite a bit more manageable, and any competent shadow can generate that reliably by the second GCD, barring misses. I suspect, Exo, that if I was tanking against you, it would be a coin toss whether you briefly pulled before my first taunt (third GCD), and after that it would be smooth sailing.

If I didn't guard you though, you would be facetanking all day long. :-)

Edited by KeyboardNinja

I don't use spinning kick, hell i dont even spec into the off icd infiltration tactics talent.

No. I open with a Force Breach right off the bat, then a Project without any Circling Shadows stacks.

Then 2 Clairs and a Shadow Strike.. you're not going to keep aggro from that initial 15k TPS, not even with a guard, sorry.

Just to give you an idea of what you should expect from that:

I am full Best in Slot (78 Dread Forged) geared. Taken you open with an adrenal, and your relics proc before your Shadow Strike theise numbers are very common.

Breach does about 10.5k damage.

Project does about 7k with 3.5k on the 45% chance proc.

Clairvoyance will already have its crit increase because of the initial opener granting it a 55% chance to crit, does about 6k damage per use.

Shadow Strike does about 12k damage on a crit.

That is 7,5 seconds.

But that is not all, if there is a preparation time, you can also cast a Mind Crush prematurely. Even further pushing the burst. Since the Mind Crush doesn't really have a Global Cooldown at the moment it hits, you can instantly use your next ability.

Yes I know you don't use Spinning Kick and I know your rotation. The one I used as an example would be the one with the most DPS burst if the changes I was proposing on Infiltration Tactics would occur.

Now, taking your opener, you seem to say that you already burst too much and that what I'm proposing would make things worse. Well, actually, since I'm proposing that Infiltration Tactics can only be procced from CS (and DS and SpS), it would be exactly the same opener, just with a guaranteed crit on Shadow Strike.

Leafy, yes I know TKT is not what it used to be but normally my opener would be Force Pull > Project > Slow Time > Force Breach (+single taunt) > Double Strike > Project > FP + TKT (+ AoE taunt). The taunts are always optional and depend on who's DPS'ing. What I'm saying is that with a crazy good Combat Sentinel, on Bestia pull, I had to move my AoE taunt before TKT and use either DS or Shadow Strike (if PROC... which I would use anyway actually), wait for the knockback and only then FP + TKT. I couldn't waste a resilience for that as it might be needed to resist the knockback from Raptus (our kyter was all over the place).

Edited by SalvorHardin