Rift launched in 1 day why cant you?

tudian

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I am not sure why they stopped the waves. I am sure there is a reason for it though.

I trust Bioware. they have not failed me on any game yet. From Baldur's Gate to Mass Effect 2.

I have faith they will not fail us here either.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=66561&postcount=6438

Hey everyone.

We absolutely understand you want to get in and play the game early. It's one of the reasons we expanded our Early Game Access from a maximum of five days to a maximum of seven days. However, there are a couple of important points to realize about today's opening salvo of invites, and the procedure in general for Early Game Access and launch.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch.

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One.

The second thing to realize is scale. We invited more people to play Star Wars: The Old Republic today than many other MMO launches manage in their entire head-start process. As I mentioned earlier today, when we opened pre-orders we had a huge spike in numbers - far more than most MMOs capture at launch. That was the initial rush. After that, our pre-orders settled down.

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Early Game Access'.

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and roll out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.

Edited by Greyfeld

I played rift the first day. I had no lag and the game ran very smooth the entire time I played. They let the entire community enter at once and the game ran flawlessly all day. Sure there were queues, they got up to 5 hours+ .. thats unavoidable. People simply changed severs. They added new severs all day and playing the game was no problem. Later they opened free transfers so people could move as they pleased.

Letting only a small amount of people in at a time is not neccisary. Also they advartized 5 day early for pre-orders. This means everyone who pre-ordered should be allowed in on the 15th barring any unexpected problems.

The first 2 days will be for early pre-orders only. They didnt NEED to do it this way. They just CHOSE to do it this way. They need to accept the fact that a lot of people will be angy about it for now but will get over it as soon as they can play.

Edit* There seems to be a big contraversy over the numbers of Rift Orders VS. SWTOR... Remember a lot of people digitally purchaced Rift on the first day even. If someone has some real numbers please post them. I do believe Rift had a HUGE amount of players enter at once. Also people keep saying that SWTOR will have no queues. You do not know this for a fact. I don't see how staggaring will avoid the eventual queues on some servers. Again if im wrong provide facts, the trolling,bashing or blindly defending isnt accomplishing anything constructive.

Edit* Staggering a launch is the same exact thing as a queue.... think about it. If this game is so much more popular and has a bigger budget then RIft, well then they should be able to afford more servers correct? The thesis to my post is simple. It can be done different then they chose to do it.

Edit* It is impossible to start a new mmorpg and not have the problem of servers bieng over flooded and then eventually underpopulated...Thats what server transfers are for. You let people do it once a week and for free.

They are.... that one day is December 20th, be happy with what you have.

You can't really belittle Trion Worlds over Rift. They were starting out, while the combined forces of Bioware and EA even separately have more money and experience Trion Worlds will ever have. They should be able to handle 3.5 times the players.

I can't defend this early access from haters without lying to myself.

Edited by Eital

Rift had millions of players at launch. They had hundreds of thousands of physical pre-orders and over a million (or two) online purchases. All of their servers were slammed on release day yet it went fairly smoothly in my experience.

What BioWare is doing here is a staggered launch under the guise of "exclusive early access" in order to avoid bad press regarding possible issues, likely due to their being unprepared for such a launch.

I am disappoint.

Rift had huge probelms the first day, EVERY MMO has had problems the first day. Even World of Warcraft has realm problems the 1st day. BioWare is doing a very smart thing and pple just gotta suck it up and wait like i am, I never expected to get into today anyway. I accomplished many things to while pple were hitting the F5 button all day.

Been playing since day one EGA in RIFT and they have not had one crash and only have down-times totaling 30-45 minutes max...you are wrong totally.

Rift had millions of players at launch. They had hundreds of thousands of physical pre-orders and over a million (or two) online purchases. All of their servers were slammed on release day yet it went fairly smoothly in my experience.

What BioWare is doing here is a staggered launch under the guise of "exclusive early access" in order to avoid bad press regarding possible issues, likely due to their being unprepared for such a launch.

I am disappoint.

Rift's early access numbers were in the 150k range across the entire lead-up to launch. They didn't do anywhere near the numbers you're tossing out during early access.

TOR only had 900k preorders. RIFT had more people on in beta.

That's 900k in the US only not counting Digital orders. Digital accounts for a very large number in pre-orders these days. Also not even counting EU preorders.

The main problem is everyone expects to get in the first day.

Wrong. Queues are avoidable, and SWTOR avoided them all day!!!

Your absolutely right. So long as they never allow everybody who wants to play, play. There will never ever be a que.

Tomorrow there will be all the people from today + all the invites for tomorrow.

Only idea I can come up with is that they want to "fill" the server as the put it online. That way they can avoid bringing up more servers than are needed.

Total Number of People waiting on EA = A

Take current stable server load as = B

Servers needed for current base = C

So A/B = C

Pretty basic Algebra.

Bring up enough servers plus say 10-20%

If people chose to go to a heavy population server then its their fault.

Otherwise the entire player base is happy and has the opportunity to play.

Edited by GridiRron
spacing

Rift has/had NOTHING on a legendary story such as SW.

There is NO WAY that this is going to be as lame as the Rift opening.

Think you miss read m8, he didn't say anything in reference to Rift or TOR story.

I played rift in the beginning and rift was a fabulous change from wow.

That's my opinion, just as you saying it was lame is yours. Its all good.

you didnt pay an EXTRA $5, that $5 comes off the final total

this is the same way it works in every retail store you can pre order from:

walk into a best buy or game stop in the real world and pre order, you put $5 down. if you cancel you get it back, if you complete the order, the $5 comes off the total final price, and thats for ALL game pre orders, not just star wars, including single player ones where you arent even always getting anything at all for pre ordering (though sometimes you get bonuses)

its not an additional $5 premium as you claim

Actually, I initially thought that as well, until I looked closer. The $5 is in addition to, not a part of, the cost of the game.