Update 2.6 and still no Flight Controller Support...

DarthKurt

If not then I stand by my argument that fixed reticule players would be at a disadvantage because it would be harder for them to line up a target compared to a mouse and keyboard player.

Secret Weapons Over Normandy had the whole lead indicator thing and it was not hard at all to line up your crosshairs with the lead indicator using a stick.

The existing tracking penalties would probably be sufficient to compensate for any time difference between how fast a mouse can bring their guns to bear versus a stick with crosshairs locked center.

No.

We will keep asking, because it will be a dramatic improvement for the game.

It's playable with mouse . Would be good with real controller!

Joystick controls ship directly. Hat on joystick controls reticule. Perfect!

Would not be balanced for those who are only able to control ship movement and aiming reticule simultaneously with a mouse. They're not going to give you the ability to maneuver and aim independently of one another, and doing both at the same time with a joystick would be absurdly difficult and non intuitive.

They don't need to reinvent the wheel, just like all the other current flight games out there, when you plug in a joystick the reticle locks and you can assign controls to roll, pitch and yaw, its just that easy. And by the way, controlling the reticle with the HAT would be horrible, it would be just like trying to control it with keyboard keys.

And im not screaming for it right this minute but id like to know if they plan to or not and if they aren't doing it because they cant or because they wont.

Edited by Mallorik

EPIC FAIL

Boycott GSF !!!

Sorry, but I would not use GSF as justification for that fancy flight controller you talked your wife into getting. There are better flight games and flight sims out there. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I would not use GSF as justification for that fancy flight controller you talked your wife into getting. There are better flight games and flight sims out there. :rolleyes:

LOL, right... the only time i feel the need to use my Flight Stick is when i'm playing a game it would actually benefit from, like say for example a Flight Sim, defiantly not for an Arcade Shooter...

as for reticle control on the hat, that guy must be daft, besides the hat is best used for view control and would be mapped to the number pad for this game...

Would not be balanced for those who are only able to control ship movement and aiming reticule simultaneously with a mouse.

Yes, obviously a mouse is an inferior control scheme. That's fine. The difference will be minor, and the joy to control the ship for realsies instead of cat+string will more than make up for it.

They're not going to give you the ability to maneuver and aim independently of one another, and doing both at the same time with a joystick would be absurdly difficult and non intuitive.

No, it would make perfect sense. The STICK will CONTROL THE SHIP, something the game doesn't have now. Meanwhile, the HAT will CONTROL THE GUNS.

This is how the ship should absolutely be functioning anyway. The "hey, mice are suboptimal at flight sims" argument is both self evident, true, and unimportant.

You could be correct that they won't add support for this reason, but I do consider this to be the glaring outlier, the one turd on the bedroom floor of an otherwise very strong game- and of course, everyone I've talked to IRL the FIRST question they ask is "is it some crappy mouse game".

Yes, obviously a mouse is an inferior control scheme. That's fine. The difference will be minor, and the joy to control the ship for realsies instead of cat+string will more than make up for it.

No, it would make perfect sense. The STICK will CONTROL THE SHIP, something the game doesn't have now. Meanwhile, the HAT will CONTROL THE GUNS.

This is how the ship should absolutely be functioning anyway. The "hey, mice are suboptimal at flight sims" argument is both self evident, true, and unimportant.

You could be correct that they won't add support for this reason, but I do consider this to be the glaring outlier, the one turd on the bedroom floor of an otherwise very strong game- and of course, everyone I've talked to IRL the FIRST question they ask is "is it some crappy mouse game".

Again, the hat cannot be used to control the guns or reticle. The hat on a joystick atleast the VAST majority of them are not analog. Otherwise, when you hit right on the hat it goes full right, not a little right depending on how much you moved it like a joystick, gamepad or mouse would.

EPIC FAIL

Boycott GSF !!!

This probably wont ever happen. Gs is designed such that your targeting cross-hair is not fixed in the center of your screen, and would be extremely difficult to play if it was. You'd be able to fly fine with a joystick/flight controller, but good luck hitting ANYTHING without the precision of a mouse.

This probably wont ever happen. Gs is designed such that your targeting cross-hair is not fixed in the center of your screen, and would be extremely difficult to play if it was. You'd be able to fly fine with a joystick/flight controller, but good luck hitting ANYTHING without the precision of a mouse.

Read more.

Until there is Joystic/Pedal support I'm not going to even bother with Galactic Starfighter. Its an absolute shame that they rather cator to keyboard and mouse players and leave us out of the loop. If joystic and pedals would be op and not balanced with keyboard and mouse then that's the devs fault and poor game design.

Its there choice to make one better than the other that power is solely in the devs hands.

Until there is Joystic/Pedal support I'm not going to even bother with Galactic Starfighter. Its an absolute shame that they rather cator to keyboard and mouse players and leave us out of the loop.

It's an absolute shame that you refuse to even try the game without joystick and pedal support. I mean, it's free.

If joystic and pedals would be op and not balanced with keyboard and mouse then that's the devs fault and poor game design.

Its there choice to make one better than the other that power is solely in the devs hands.

Except... not really. Whether one is superior to the other is largely a mechanical issue, not a programming issue. That's like saying, you can play the Wii U with the wiimote, or you can play it with a keyboard. Oh, you're at a huge disadvantage using the keyboard because the game can't detect where your keyboard is? Well that's obviously the dev's fault!

Why would the devs put time into flight stick support for a keyboard and mouse game?

They already gave us this nice little mini game of flight pvp, but this is just a fraction of the total game in the first place, and the people who think they "need" a flight stick to play the GSF pvp mini game are a fraction of the players playing.

You must aim for a larger target than a fraction of a fraction when spending development time, sorry.

Why would the devs put time into flight stick support for a keyboard and mouse game?

You must aim for a larger target than a fraction of a fraction when spending development time, sorry.

Because the people who play these type of games like using joysticks to play them, they may be a minority of the player base but so is anyone playing gsf regularly. Why would you alienate the one group that would be the most loyal to your game by leaving out one of the main things they demand from a flight game?

And I would just love to know who the guy is that thought making a flight game with mouse only controls was a good idea. And who thought what the player base was really wanting was a space fps game when they almost burned the swtor website down when space on rails was announced pre beta.

I really enjoy flight sims and I really enjoy GSF. While the thought of using a flight stick is intriguing to me I can't even begin to imagine how you would balance the two control styles against each other. It goes way beyond tweaking accuracy.

See, with mouse controls I usually have to decide between steering the ship or aiming the guns. I can't do both at the same time. That's why stopping is sometimes a useful tactic because you can aim much easier. To be honest I love how this plays out because I'm constantly having to make a choice between trying to keep my guns on the guy or keep my nose centered so I can maitain a missile lock. I usually can't do both at the same time unless the guy flys straight which is a huge tactical mistake when you know someone is aiming at you. It adds an interesting dynamic having to make that decision and one that I enjoy.

Flying the ship with the mouse is not difficult or unintuitive it's just different. Add the joystick, sure it would still be fun but now accuracy stats have less meaning and the choice between steering vs aiming no longer exists. It would change the game significantly.

I truly believe this is an either or situation where the control type is concerned and devs went with mouse instead of stick.

I really enjoy flight sims and I really enjoy GSF. While the thought of using a flight stick is intriguing to me I can't even begin to imagine how you would balance the two control styles against each other. It goes way beyond tweaking accuracy.

One option might be to add a "lock crosshair to center" on/off button for both controller types that can (ideally) be toggled midflight. That way sticks wouldn't have an advantage of crosshairs locked to center that mouse players couldn't have.

Whether that would be a full solution I don't know but it would be a good start.

See, with mouse controls I usually have to decide between steering the ship or aiming the guns. I can't do both at the same time. That's why stopping is sometimes a useful tactic because you can aim much easier. To be honest I love how this plays out because I'm constantly having to make a choice between trying to keep my guns on the guy or keep my nose centered so I can maitain a missile lock. I usually can't do both at the same time unless the guy flys straight which is a huge tactical mistake when you know someone is aiming at you. It adds an interesting dynamic having to make that decision and one that I enjoy.

Flying the ship with the mouse is not difficult or unintuitive it's just different. Add the joystick, sure it would still be fun but now accuracy stats have less meaning and the choice between steering vs aiming no longer exists. It would change the game significantly.

I truly believe this is an either or situation where the control type is concerned and devs went with mouse instead of stick.

I really don't know what you mean when you say the difference between steering and aiming, in this game steering is aiming. I have no problem missle locking while im shooting someone.

And accuracy would be balanced if they locked the reticle while in joystick mode. Accuracy only exists because holding your cursor on someone and pressing fire isn't much of a challenge. If the reticle was locked in joystick mode you would have to actually fly and maneuver to keep your reticle on the enemy(like a real flight game). If they wanted firing arc accuracy to do something in joystick mode it could effect the size of the reticle.

And just a tip, don't ever stop and shoot unless the guy youre shooting stopped.

Edited by Mallorik

I really don't know what you mean when you say the difference between steering and aiming, in this game steering is aiming. I have no problem missle locking while im shooting someone.

And accuracy would be balanced if they locked the reticle while in joystick mode. Accuracy only exists because holding your cursor on someone and pressing fire isn't much of a challenge. If the reticle was locked in joystick mode you would have to actually fly and maneuver to keep your reticle on the enemy(like a real flight game). If they wanted firing arc accuracy to do something in joystick mode it could effect the size of the reticle.

And just a tip, don't ever stop and shoot unless the guy youre shooting stopped.

At certain ranges with fast moving targets if you're going for missile lock you need to move your cursor beyond your target to keep on him within your missle's targeting circle. Basically keep your nose pointed at him rather than your cursor. Therefore you have to choose between lasers and missiles at thise times. Yeah if a guy is flying straight it's no problem doing both but a pilot getting all squirrelly takes more steering effort to maintain missle look thus your targeting reticle ends up on the outside edge of your circle. If you don't experience that I have to wonder about the people you fly against. Must all be doing straight lines. That or you're not concerned about missile locks as much as I am.

Also stopping does have some really great applications, just not ever when you're being targeted.

If you don't experience that I have to wonder about the people you fly against. Must all be doing straight lines. That or you're not concerned about missile locks as much as I am.

Also stopping does have some really great applications, just not ever when you're being targeted.

No, I just know what im doing.

Edited by Mallorik