Unusually high ping. anyone else?

NvrShoutNvr

Hello :)

on Pot5, i usually sit around 20 ms but I logged in today and it was fluctuating all over the place. Went from 100, down to 5k, up to 300, then it was 20k and completely red-barred (lolwhat?). i tested my ping and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my internet service. After a restart of my system and temporarily shutting off my fire wall, nothing changed. Is anyone else experiencing this, and does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Hello :)

on Pot5, i usually sit around 20 ms but I logged in today and it was fluctuating all over the place. Went from 100, down to 5k, up to 300, then it was 20k and completely red-barred (lolwhat?). i tested my ping and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my internet service. After a restart of my system and temporarily shutting off my fire wall, nothing changed. Is anyone else experiencing this, and does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

When I have had this problem, and it's not the server going belly up, I have found it to be spotty performance in the internet backbone between me and the server....AND I had to run ping tests multiple times to confirm it.. because something is haywire somewhere and it's intermittent.

First bet though is always the server going belly up due to a hamster revolt on the wheel. After that, if a system restart (TCPIP stack gets borked somehow and a system restart fixes it) and router restart has no effect, it's been a back backbone route to the server every time. I once had it for several days until AT&T got their IT chimps to fix some problem about 60 miles downstream from my home.

Well, it is probably not related, but I have been experiencing some severe lag spikes and disconnects from the server (ToFN) as of past two weeks (since I started playing again after finals), while my Internet connection seems normal as always.

However, it could easily be weather related (my connection really hates fog and the backup system might not handle the amounts of SWTOR data going through it very well)

I get intermittent lags on one of my systems, but relatively consistent and smooth performance fro the other.

I am not sure what the issue is. In general, my 'normal' internet connection is okay. Both systems are i7 but one is a bastardized W8.x and the other is pure 8.1. It is the pure 8.1 that has the problems. The other odd thing is the cleaner one is on an extended WiFi (which is on another house floor and may be buffered, at least has some internal memory for that reason) but the other is local (same floor, <10' from WiFi modem).

Bottom line, some conflagration of box config and ISP. I lean towards ISP because my wife has occasional issues with her I5 W8.1, but I really thing both are involved.

:eek:

I get intermittent lags on one of my systems, but relatively consistent and smooth performance fro the other.

I am not sure what the issue is. In general, my 'normal' internet connection is okay. Both systems are i7 but one is a bastardized W8.x and the other is pure 8.1. It is the pure 8.1 that has the problems. The other odd thing is the cleaner one is on an extended WiFi (which is on another house floor and may be buffered, at least has some internal memory for that reason) but the other is local (same floor, <10' from WiFi modem).

Bottom line, some conflagration of box config and ISP. I lean towards ISP because my wife has occasional issues with her I5 W8.1, but I really thing both are involved.

:eek:

In your case, it sounds like there is something different in the driver part of your OS, or in the hardware of the problem child PC, or both. That's going to be difficult to sort out probably since there are a zillion combinations of hardware components and drivers. I'd start with the WiFi drivers and check and compare the chipsets handling the WiFi.

A Segway to this is... WiFi interactions on your local network. There as a time about a year ago or so, about half of my components at home that were attached to my WiFi would glitch out about once a week. They would either disconnect or just start performing poorly in talking to the internet. There was no rhyme or reason to it that I could find.... one PC would flake, one TV, an iTouch (yet an iPhone was fine) and two of the three blu-rays in the house... and the other PCs and other components were fine. Took me forever to find what was causing some components to hang and others to not hang. Turns-out it was a laptop (which never experienced the problem), but only when I was using it with a VPN layer to access a proprietary network at a corporation that I was doing some consulting for. I was able to confirm it consistently once I narrowed it down. [When I parked the laptop to my home network through Ethernet... problem gone]. Once my contract completed and I turned in the laptop.. I have never had this problem again.

Edited by Andryah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.