Please have some decency when it comes to Rakghoul Champion Mobs

Transairion

Like, for instance, letting the person who just fought their way through the gold-spawning mobs in front of The Catalyst rare mob that occasionally appears actually fight said boss. Not jumping on the boss the moment you see it, locking out of the person who actually fought their way to it out of all it's loot.

This has happened repeatedly already and the event has only been active for hours, and it's understandably frustrating. Can't just aggro it while fighting the gold or you'll probably die taking them both at once, and of course the other player isn't gonna help kill they're just gonna run off so the boss resets then aggro it themselves.

So yeah, stop leaping in to reap the rewards when you didn't lift a finger.

Edited by Transairion

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, the absolute brilliance of quest design. Designing in competition for resources.

It always brings out the best in the community and makes the game so much more enjoyable for all.

They should re-design all quests to have this sort of cutthroat competition for resources. It would be even better if they could somehow put it inside an auto-flagging free-for-all PvP area!

Edited by DarthTHC

How do you spawn The Catalyst?

From what I've seen it doesn't have a set spawn but instead behaves as Martinuqe Dessler/her Oricon equivalent do, and occasionally appears replacing one of the other 5 Rakghoul Fungal Champions. I've seen The Catalyst spawn in two different locations replacing the normal Champion each time (it only has about 50k more health I believe), and I can only presume it can be found in any of their locations.

I found/saw signifigantly more corpses on a full instance than a near-empty one, so it may be possible that it only replaces Champions in higher-population instances (or I just got unlucky).

Big fan of your guides as well :)

If it's a champion, I'm assuming they still have to fight and defeat it. So so much for "not lifting a finger."

When I'm also attacking it (as I can't immediately tell whether I've got loot rights or not) it goes down pretty darn easily. And it doesn't have much more health than the regular mobs so it's not exactly a big feat. Both times it was aggro'd by another player while I was healing or using an ability after clearing the area in front of it (the second time it happened Grav Round was 99% channelled when they aggro'd it).

Doesn't really excuse just walking past the person fighting the mobs blocking the way and taking it for themselves though.

Edited by Transairion

Life's rough in the big MMO event city.

If it's a champion, I'm assuming they still have to fight and defeat it. So so much for "not lifting a finger."

Advocating in favor of antisocial behavior? How... unlike... you.

Edited by DarthTHC

From what I've seen it doesn't have a set spawn but instead behaves as Martinuqe Dessler/her Oricon equivalent do, and occasionally appears replacing one of the other 5 Rakghoul Fungal Champions. I've seen The Catalyst spawn in two different locations replacing the normal Champion each time (it only has about 50k more health I believe), and I can only presume it can be found in any of their locations.

I found/saw signifigantly more corpses on a full instance than a near-empty one, so it may be possible that it only replaces Champions in higher-population instances (or I just got unlucky).

I see, ty for the info :)

Big fan of your guides as well :)

When I'm also attacking it (as I can't immediately tell whether I've got loot rights or not) it goes down pretty darn easily. And it doesn't have much more health than the regular mobs so it's not exactly a big feat. Both times it was aggro'd by another player while I was healing or using an ability after clearing the area in front of it (the second time it happened Grav Round was 99% channelled when they aggro'd it).

Doesn't really excuse just walking past the person fighting the mobs blocking the way and taking it for themselves though.

Jerks will be jerks, even the ones who think they are "entitled" to a particular mob, chest or quest item. That mob is not yours until YOU tag it. That chest is not yours until you open it. That quest item is not yours until you click on it. Until that time, they are fair game.

Jerks will be jerks, even the ones who think they are "entitled" to a particular mob, chest or quest item. That mob is not yours until YOU tag it. That chest is not yours until you open it. That quest item is not yours until you click on it. Until that time, they are fair game.

You seem to be one of those types then. I agree it's all fair game until a mob is tagged but there is this thing we call morals and consideration which it appears you have none of.

You seem to be one of those types then. I agree it's all fair game until a mob is tagged but there is this thing we call morals and consideration which it appears you have none of.

Actually, you are wrong. If I see someone clearing to a given target, I'll pass on that target, but I also do not feel entitled to a target I'm clearing to reach just because.

One can be courteous without having a false sense of entitlement.

So basically "sucks to be you because there was a mob in your way and you cleared it for me"? This isn't really a case of two players racing for it at the same time, it's someone waltzing up behind you while you're already going for it and just going on through the blockade you have to fight and claiming it for themselves. Should be pretty obvious to most that you're not fighting the mobs for the fun of it.

Maybe an obscure example for sure, but I imagine you're the type of person who in a Race to dig to the other side of a mountain doesn't dig their own tunnel, just walks 3 steps behind someone else then shoves them over the moment they break through and stroll over the finish line.

I mean, technically you got to the finish line first right?

It's just bad form to do so, no other way around it. It's this kind of thing that makes me wish it were all instanced so I don't have to deal with the ninjas (on quest items it hardly matters, but a Rare Spawn is a little more important that an instantly respawning node or 10-minute timer chest).

Edited by Transairion

Actually, you are wrong. If I see someone clearing to a given target, I'll pass on that target, but I also do not feel entitled to a target I'm clearing to reach just because.

One can be courteous without having a false sense of entitlement.

I think you have that wrong.. The false sense of entitlement would be the person tagging the mob that they did nothing to get to.. Common courtesy would be to invite someone to group before you tag it, or wait your turn if you don't want to be social.

I think you have that wrong.. The false sense of entitlement would be the person tagging the mob that they did nothing to get to.. Common courtesy would be to invite someone to group before you tag it, or wait your turn if you don't want to be social.

Playing Devil's Advocate here (because I looked over the event rewards, saw nothing I wanted, and thus won't be doing it), but what happens in the case of classes that use Stealth? Is it still stealing if you didn't have to fight the groups in advance of the main target anyway?

And assuming it is, then where should the line start for people waiting to go after it? The Spaceport? I mean, there are a lot of enemies you might hit spread across Alderaan.

Playing Devil's Advocate here (because I looked over the event rewards, saw nothing I wanted, and thus won't be doing it), but what happens in the case of classes that use Stealth? Is it still stealing if you didn't have to fight the groups in advance of the main target anyway?

And assuming it is, then where should the line start for people waiting to go after it? The Spaceport? I mean, there are a lot of enemies you might hit spread across Alderaan.

The quest should have been designed to avoid this sort of stupidity. It has existed far too long in MMOs and it's not all that difficult to solve. Heck, BioWare even solved it with minor re-work to a lot of their quests.

Since the quest is poorly designed, then common courtesy dictates that if someone else is working toward a quest reward, jumping in and nabbing that reward for yourself is discourteous.

A more social, friendly, and helpful alternative would be inviting that player to group with you and working together to achieve the quest's goal.

Can anyone be banned this way? If not, I don't care.

That's the beauty of the Internet. You can be an *** and never have to worry about someone punching you in the nose for it like they would surely do face-to-face. Fake tough guys FTW.

Except if you live in Korea, I guess. Then you might have to worry about someone hunting you down and going medieval on your sorry hide.

The quest should have been designed to avoid this sort of stupidity. It has existed far too long in MMOs and it's not all that difficult to solve. Heck, BioWare even solved it with minor re-work to a lot of their quests.

Since the quest is poorly designed, then common courtesy dictates that if someone else is working toward a quest reward, jumping in and nabbing that reward for yourself is discourteous.

A more social, friendly, and helpful alternative would be inviting that player to group with you and working together to achieve the quest's goal.

So, at what point does a player have "the right to that mob because he is fighting to it"? Where is the divide between "fighting to a mob" and just killing mobs? What about those stealth classes? If I'm heading toward that mob in stealth and you cross that magical "fighting to the mob" line, do I have to stop and let you have the mob even if I'm closer?

So, at what point does a player have "the right to that mob because he is fighting to it"? Where is the divide between "fighting to a mob" and just killing mobs? What about those stealth classes? If I'm heading toward that mob in stealth and you cross that magical "fighting to the mob" line, do I have to stop and let you have the mob even if I'm closer?

Why are you leaping to the anti-social, rude, discourteous conclusion / action?

Why not just invite and solve the problem?

Edited by DarthTHC

Why are you trying to force people to be social when they may not want to? Why should I group up with some random person I'll never see again, when i can get my item or tag and move on?

What if the invite isn't accepted?

Not that I don't agree with you that it's bad design to make players compete over resources, mind you. Personally, I think missions should stay as close to 100% instanced as possible.

Inviting does not always work. Do you know how many times I've offered invites and the other party has refused the invite? This has happened on "both sides" of the debate.

I've had it happen when I am clearing toward a mob and I invite that person who just arrived, been refused and then that other person tags the mob. Frustrating yes, but that mob was not mine, regardless of the fact that I had cleared to it.

I've also had it happen when I've been on my assassin stealthing past the trash and invited that person who just started clearing trash so he could get credit for the kill, and had my invite refused. At that point I kill the mob. I've been called names at those times because that person felt he was entitled to that mob because he had just started clearing trash even though I was already in range of the boss, and had even attempted to invite him.

That does not even address the times when it is a cross faction zone and it is someone of the other faction who tags that mob.

Why are you trying to force people to be social when they may not want to? Why should I group up with some random person I'll never see again, when i can get my item or tag and move on?

Clue for you.. Its an MMO. MMO's are about grouping and being social. Its not Christmas, this isn't Walmart.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.