Welcome to the age of "Turret PVP"

Schizogeist

To go along with the post after post of reading how unresponsive the pvp and actions in this game are, I've been pvping and decided what to call the style of PVP this game is where you have to sit and stop and wait for the ability to go off or it won't go off at all or it will stutter.

TURRET PVP

Yes that is right. On my Bounty Hunter I have found it more successful to to stop keybinding and stop running around after the enemy player and stop trying to kite enemy players. Instead I click every ability which seems to time perfectly with the gcd system. I sit there and unload on anything that comes at me. I was number one in damage and kills.

Welcome to the age of Turret PVP. sadly I don't see a fix ever coming to the combat system because it is not a bug but actually the system of the game and would take entire rebuild of the entire combat system to fix.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=68243

Share your feelings of the unresponsiveness of this game

Edited by Schizogeist

Is there a point to this post?

Yes there is a point. PvP is supposed to be about skill not rotation. Keybinding your abilities has always been the best response to your abilities. but because of the GCD and unresponsiveness of the abilities in this game, standing in one place and not trying to do much and clicking your abilities so far has lead to the most successful pvp in this game.

I figured I'd let some fellow players know about the greatness of "Turret PVP"

To join the fight against the unresponsiveness of this game

Edited by Schizogeist

If you stay in one place you are free exp.

Sorry playing against bad player are not a valid argument. I like the new system because now you need tactic and not just the better inet connection.

what part did you not manage to comprehend? he stands in one place and kills anyone that gets in range before they can even get to him.. sounds like baddies can kill anyone as long as they choose BH.

I guess you are damn right , im doing really my best at playing this game moving around using my cc beeing very tactical and im doing around 90 000 dmg at lvl 15 i was doing way more damage around 140 000 care to explain ?.... i have better gear i know the game better better skillset ability and i sux moar....

for the bh ive seen really lazy people btw one guy during the whole match of alderadan civil war was bending over and throwing rocket that it not moving much just bending over again and again.

Edited by calligann

what part did you not manage to comprehend? he stands in one place and kills anyone that gets in range before they can even get to him.. sounds like baddies can kill anyone as long as they choose BH.

Come on. You never play against stealther? Or does nobody playing in a team? Why are you running into his range ?

What is the answer? Running around like in daoc and strafe like hell? It was stupid. The new system is much better for melee. I know the good old times in Daoc, where your are running as a melee assist train and the caster is strafing like hell and you can not hit him. I like the new system much more. If he is not moving. It is a good thing. I do not have to run in someones range. I like tactic more than strafing

Come on. You never play against stealther? Or does nobody playing in a team? Why are you running into his range ?

What is the answer? Running around like in daoc and strafe like hell? It was stupid. The new system is much better for melee. I know the good old times in Daoc, where your are running as a melee assist train and the caster is strafing like hell and you can not hit him. I like the new system much more. If he is not moving. It is a good thing. I do not have to run in someones range. I like tactic more than strafing

What system is better for melee? Tiny hit boxes? Delayed abilities? Ranged stuns with no DR? Knockbacks galore? Right now ranged is King.

Yes there is a point. PvP is supposed to be about skill not rotation. Keybinding your abilities has always been the best response to your abilities. but because of the GCD and unresponsiveness of the abilities in this game, standing in one place and not trying to do much and clicking your abilities so far has lead to the most successful pvp in this game.

I figured I'd let some fellow players know about the greatness of "Turret PVP"

To join the fight against the unresponsiveness of this game

Not sure about your rig, but i have 0 lag, the game responds just fine. I hop around like a rabbit in heat rail shotting jedi.

But i'm sure turrets are good to.

Let me guess, you're the bounty hunter equivalent of gunnery, which does indeed largely work this way. If you try this with a vanguard or assault spec commando you will get stomped. I really, really, hate to trot out this card, but... either you or your targets must be terrible. Edited by OSUNightfall

Usually if someone is standing still and they are not a cover class, it is a free kill for me, even bounty hunters. And I am an immortal jugg so i dont see validity in your claims due to the fact that my experience shows the exact opposite.

* edited due to tiny netbook keyoard, and huge hands not being able to type on it*

Edited by Aghar

What system is better for melee? Tiny hit boxes? Delayed abilities? Ranged stuns with no DR? Knockbacks galore? Right now ranged is King.

i wish this game had smaller hit boxes, im a sentinel and there is nothing worse than having another melee who is terrible at strafing being able to get his combos off while not even facing you.

To go along with the post after post of reading how unresponsive the pvp and actions in this game are, I've been pvping and decided what to call the style of PVP this game is where you have to sit and stop and wait for the ability to go off or it won't go off at all or it will stutter.

TURRET PVP

Yes that is right. On my Bounty Hunter I have found it more successful to to stop keybinding and stop running around after the enemy player and stop trying to kite enemy players. Instead I click every ability which seems to time perfectly with the gcd system. I sit there and unload on anything that comes at me. I was number one in damage and kills.

Welcome to the age of Turret PVP. sadly I don't see a fix ever coming to the combat system because it is not a bug but actually the system of the game and would take entire rebuild of the entire combat system to fix.

Share your feelings of the unresponsiveness of this game

Oh...please please please stand still in PVP. Makes my job so much easier. There is nothing wrong with the GCD system right now. Set your skill que in the preferences tab, and go to town....

"On my Bounty Hunter I have found it more successful to to stop keybinding and stop running around...I sit there and unload on anything that comes at me."

You've defined "success" as doing the top damage. Is that your objective in PvP? I find it more successful to obtain objectives and standing in one place for very long doesn't facilitate that.

You're also describing range burst DPS as Turret PvP and arguing that the entire combat system is built around this. That's 1 of many tactics. Of course, it's going to work for ranged DPS against an oblivious target. Sages, Sorcerers, Snipers, Gunslingers do this all day long as well.

Err...not really.

Only Arsenal spec for BH is designed to be a turret DPS class - the abilities that get the impressive boosts are channeled or have casting times that break if you move.

If you want to lash out horrendous spike damage, then you need to be standing still. If you're forced to have to move around a lot, your damage output falls through the floor.

So yes, if you get the jump on someone and have clear LOS, you can use your cc's to hold them off until you kill them. That probably won't be before they get to you or return fire, unless the player is a complete idiot. Any competent Agent or Trooper can attempt to turn the situation back around, or they can pull back out of range. Not much an Arsenal spec BH can do if you break LOS or retreat.

If melee chars are getting killed trying to close with a ranged class who has the situation in his favour...well, go figure. I don't expect to survive walking round a corner head first into a Jedi Guardian - likewise, you should be darn cautious about closing on me at full range when you can see I'm expecting you.

Anyway, assuming you do kill that one person, by that point you've shot your main cc and are a dead cert to have heat problems, so you're easy prey for any of his friends. And you don't have much in the way of kite abilities, so if someone does close with you then there's a very high chance that things will go downhill very swiftly.

That's the strength / weakness of arsenal spec. You're lethal when you're standing still...but that means you're standing still - melee classes will happily tell you just how much easier it is to murder someone who can't move. Plus, if you do fire off a massive burst of DPS, you're then neck deep in problems with high heat...