The sweet joy of roasting gunships!

arkanone

I'm no ace and I just lone-wolf it in GSF but there's no better feeling than burning down pub gunships. Since pubs generally have 4 or more gunships in most matches I'm never hurting for targets...

Anyway, I made a little GSF video as a tribute to the true pilots out there who are tired of cheapshot gunships with auto-aim and oneshot capability:

I'm no ace and I just lone-wolf it in GSF but there's no better feeling than burning down pub gunships. Since pubs generally have 4 or more gunships in most matches I'm never hurting for targets...

Anyway, I made a little GSF video as a tribute to the true pilots out there who are tired of cheapshot gunships with auto-aim and oneshot capability:

LOL. What server are you on so I can come wreck your ****?

Autoaim my ***.

Oh.. while you were running around padding your pathetic kill count, until you got swatted like the buzzing pest you were, your team was LOSING them match. Great tactics there, bro

Edited by NotThatOne

Eleven kills and 37k damage isn't awful by any stretch, but a lot of those gunships didn't know how to dodge or use Distortion Field. Distortion Field would have saved you a lot of grief, too.

Also, you lost, lol. There comes a point where you need to stop hunting gunships and start capping points. Most of their team was at B the whole match, so you could have fairly easily hopped over to A and C when you lost them. In fact, during the end there, you were chasing gunships next to their last satellite. If you (and, admittedly, others) had capped that satellite, you might have been able to squeeze out a win, as they'd have needed another 20ish kills to finish the match.

Other than that, good show.

Edited by Armonddd

Eleven kills and 37k damage isn't awful by any stretch, but a lot of those gunships didn't know how to dodge or use Distortion Field. Distortion Field would have saved you a lot of grief, too.

Also, you lost, lol. There comes a point where you need to stop hunting gunships and start capping points. Most of their team was at B the whole match, so you could have fairly easily hopped over to A and C when you lost them. In fact, during the end there, you were chasing gunships next to their last satellite. If you (and, admittedly, others) had capped that satellite, you might have been able to squeeze out a win, as they'd have needed another 20ish kills to finish the match.

Other than that, good show.

He got shot down 7 times I can't remember the last time I got shot down that many times in one match....In my Gunship, with a pack of much better scouts chasing me.......11 kills 4 assists, non factor on obj points.

GJ dude, your team lost, and you got some kills.

NotThatOne: Yes, your epeen is the biggest.

Armonddd: Good stuff. I just think the "you lost" comment is a bit unfair. In pretty much every thread about Gunship it is said "hunt them down", which is what the OP did. So if your job is to shut down gunships, someone else's job is to cap satellites, and you cannot be blamed for the failure in the latter (maybe except the situation towards the end, when it was absolutely crucial to get all three satellites green). In other words, I agree with

In fact, during the end there, you were chasing gunships next to their last satellite. If you (and, admittedly, others) had capped that satellite, you might have been able to squeeze out a win, as they'd have needed another 20ish kills to finish the match.
, but
Also, you lost, lol. There comes a point where you need to stop hunting gunships and start capping points. Most of their team was at B the whole match, so you could have fairly easily hopped over to A and C when you lost them.
wasn't OP's responsibility, that was the responsibility of his teammates.

but wasn't OP's responsibility, that was the responsibility of his teammates.

Losing is everyone's responsibility. Sure, he carried his team a chunk, but he paid absolutely zero attention to the satellites in a domination game. That's... not good. Not unless you're in a group that's rolling so hard that your victory is guaranteed. But winning is everything, and when you don't win, well...

(also, he posted a video on the internet, someone was going to point it out, it may as well be me)

Edited by Armonddd

Losing is everyone's responsibility. Sure, he carried his team a chunk, but he paid absolutely zero attention to the satellites in a domination game. That's... not good. Not unless you're in a group that's rolling so hard that your victory is guaranteed. But winning is everything, and when you don't win, well...

(also, he posted a video on the internet, someone was going to point it out, it may as well be me)

Well, sure, the first sentence is undeniably true. But the rest ... so the OP should go and fight around satellites like the rest of his team? Leaving 4 Gunships fire at will? I politely disagree. Also, as I said, it would make the pro-Gunship argument "just hunt them down" pointless.

(Just to repeat, this is not about the very end of the match, where I agree satellite capping should be prioritized above anything else).

Well, sure, the first sentence is undeniably true. But the rest ... so the OP should go and fight around satellites like the rest of his team? Leaving 4 Gunships fire at will? I politely disagree. Also, as I said, it would make the pro-Gunship argument "just hunt them down" pointless.

(Just to repeat, this is not about the very end of the match, where I agree satellite capping should be prioritized above anything else).

Communication would have helped. Breaking off after killing a gunship or two to cap a satellite would have helped. Not blowing up so often would have helped.

That said, admittedly close game between, at best, mediocre players. There's only so much you can do with that.

Communication would have helped. Breaking off after killing a gunship or two to cap a satellite would have helped. Not blowing up so often would have helped.

Fair points. If you just wanted to point out some mistakes the OP did, then I misinterpreted your initial message, and I apologize. Originally I thought you were disapproving the whole fact that OP went to hunt Gunships instead of playing purely objectives.

Edited by Danylia

wanna be careful may run into some actual skilled gunships. lol

whats this auto aim gunships have? i cant find mine but im just a noob.

great team work you showed there, shows popping gunships none stop DONT decide the fight does it.

average solo players like you in a scout i would always know where you are and just for lol's would burn u with blasters instead of railgun.

a good gunship is one that knows where the good opponants are most of the match but has his eye on the objectives.

on the fun side, when i play a scout it can be fun at times to kill gunships lol.

1) best way to attack a gunship is from behind not above, that way you are still lined up if they barrel roll.

2) rockets pods are better served for gunship killing than missiles.

3) Stop overshooting on every pass, your giving them a free escape ticket.

4) Stop dying. After the first slugs hits you immediately go into a evasive pattern. And no doing a U-turn is not a evasive pattern.

5) if you die more than half as much as your kills then you don't have any bragging rights for anything.

Edited by Zoom_VI

I too am a gunship hunter, but I can't remember that last time I died that many times in a match, nor will I avoid Defending or capping a node (allowing my team to lose) to go after a GS. I know my job as a flashfire is to harass Gunships and take them out of the fight, but I also know that I need to cap and defend nodes too. If my team is losing and unable to hold nodes then GS hunting is 2nd priority and node guarding becomes 1st.

A couple of your deaths there were because your tactics are lacking the foresight for you to see when another GS is sitting in "Over watch". Watch out for the GS's that run in packs and watch each others backs also, always approach from above and behind, you will die far less often.

And BTW I'm a Repub Scout and I can tell you that Imp Gunners are just as tunnel visioned as Repub Gunners.

Edited by RiVaN_

I love all the self claimed gunship hunters who act like they are a gunships worst nightmare and all that. What you are killing is gunship noobs. Come across me and I will kill you, and then I will kill you five more times for annoying me the first time. Then seven matches down the road when I've killed you 30+ times while you full throttle at me every respawn trying so hard to redeem yourself from the owning I've just given you, you will realize how inappropriate that title is for you.

I'd give nicknames to every pilot I make my *itch, but I'd be halfway through the dictionary by now.

Edited by Drackly

I love all the self claimed gunship hunters who act like they are a gunships worst nightmare and all that. What you are killing is gunship noobs. Come across me and I will kill you, and then I will kill you five more times for annoying me the first time. Then seven matches down the road when I've killed you 30+ times while you full throttle at me every respawn trying so hard to redeem yourself from the owning I've just given you, you will realize how inappropriate that title is for you.

Obviously you have not played against many scouts who really know what they are doing. A good GS hunter typically has a low kill number and a low death number. This is because they understand the tactics of approaching and killing Gunships as well as how to survive.

I consider myself to be a Mid-Grade GS hunter. I typically have 6-8 kills, 10-12 assists, 3 deaths, and around 30k damage. But I also run with 2 guildies in TeamSpeak a lot of the time and we cover each other.

I would say that the OP is a mid range hunter, but only because he died 7 times. He has great skills and he is typically killing the GS before they even have a chance to flee. Once he learns the art of Living longer he will be a lot better and a pilot that GS's won't want to see on the other team.

I like how Gunners think they are the kings of GSF... Unless you have someone watching your back you guys are sitting ducks.

I'd give nicknames to every pilot I make my *itch, but I'd be halfway through the dictionary by now.

++rep

This post sums up my EXACT thoughts on the video and the concept.

I too am a gunship hunter, but I can't remember that last time I died that many times in a match, nor will I avoid Defending or capping a node (allowing my team to lose) to go after a GS. I know my job as a flashfire is to harass Gunships and take them out of the fight, but I also know that I need to cap and defend nodes too. If my team is losing and unable to hold nodes then GS hunting is 2nd priority and node guarding becomes 1st.

Here's the problem with this line of thinking. That gunship is going to take you out. No matter where you're sitting on that node, you're going to get sniped at some point, probably in one hit. And that node gets taken anyway. Your first priority is always to get that gunship. Even if that means swinging back afterwards and retaking the node from that scout that zoomed in. With a few exceptions, you shouldn't have trouble taking out that gship, then swinging back to deal with the node and capper(s). If you're just sitting at that node, not helping yourself any.

Obviously you have not played against many scouts who really know what they are doing. A good GS hunter typically has a low kill number and a low death number. This is because they understand the tactics of approaching and killing Gunships as well as how to survive.

I consider myself to be a Mid-Grade GS hunter. I typically have 6-8 kills, 10-12 assists, 3 deaths, and around 30k damage. But I also run with 2 guildies in TeamSpeak a lot of the time and we cover each other.

I would say that the OP is a mid range hunter, but only because he died 7 times. He has great skills and he is typically killing the GS before they even have a chance to flee. Once he learns the art of Living longer he will be a lot better and a pilot that GS's won't want to see on the other team.

I like how Gunners think they are the kings of GSF... Unless you have someone watching your back you guys are sitting ducks.

He's played with and against all the best players on Pot5 (and thus the world), including teams of scouts on vent/ts. Often I'm happy just to stick to him the whole match and keep him spamming barrel roll, because I know that in ideal situations I'm a less valuable contributor to my team than he is to his, and thus neutralizing both of us is a plus for me.

He's played with and against all the best players on Pot5 (and thus the world), including teams of scouts on vent/ts. Often I'm happy just to stick to him the whole match and keep him spamming barrel roll, because I know that in ideal situations I'm a less valuable contributor to my team than he is to his, and thus neutralizing both of us is a plus for me.

Youre hardly the best, but i like the inferrence :)

Here's the problem with this line of thinking. That gunship is going to take you out. No matter where you're sitting on that node, you're going to get sniped at some point, probably in one hit. And that node gets taken anyway. Your first priority is always to get that gunship. Even if that means swinging back afterwards and retaking the node from that scout that zoomed in. With a few exceptions, you shouldn't have trouble taking out that gship, then swinging back to deal with the node and capper(s). If you're just sitting at that node, not helping yourself any.

Who would just sit at the node? You have to keep moving. Make yourself hard to hit or better yet as unseen as possible. I rarely get sniped by a gun ship while "Guarding and Node" node because I don't power down and just sit there. I move around where I can see them while they are in bound.

Anyone who just sits at the node, thrusters off is going down. and flying in tight around the node becomes a predictable flight path, but actually "Scouting" (being and OP aka Observation Post and a QRF aka Quick reaction force/fighter) is effective for guarding a node. and allows me to notify my teammates of an incoming ship, help take that ship out and to continue to guard the node until I can resume my task of harassing gunships.

Playing on PoT5 hardly means you are the best players in the world... That is a a very arrogant claim to make.

'Nuff said.

Playing on PoT5 hardly means you are the best players in the world... That is a a very arrogant claim to make.

'Nuff said.

I play regularly on Pot5 and I've been on several other servers for GSF, and I've yet to find the level of competition I get on my home server.

Usually just a bunch of lolscouts like the OP that straight-line into a railgun blast.

*Note: I don't even consider myself in top 5 gunship pilots on Pot5

What makes Pot5 the best for GSF? The community, on both sides, as many of us play both sides., communication and competition. Someone accused me of e-peening eariler. I had to laugh, because frankly, it's hard to epeen when you're surrounded by a bunch of good-natured, excellent pilots, who just want to have fun. The majority of the regular crew I fly with, I love it when they're on my team, and they're the bane of my existence when they're on the other team.

But, back to our OP: He would get wrecked on POT5. Hell, in my opinion, he DID get wrecked in that vid, because despite his K/D, because he contributed little toward the objectives and his team lost. Handily.

I wholeheartedly agree the OP got rocked in this match.

He got 11 kills but the opposing team killed killed him 7 times. I have a lot of constructive critiques of this video, but I have been reported n the past because someone called my constructive attempts to assist the player in getting better "call outs" so If the OP is open to constructive criticism there are a couple pointers I could give that would help you to live more and have the opportunity to get even more kills.

This is a good strategy for using Boost and Barrel roll to keep his engine power up and make quick transitions between nodes. His damage build must be pretty good to be able to knock them down so quickly. His aim is steady and he does a decent amount of damage.

The OP just needs to learn how to stay alive.

I'm Not saying that PoT5 isn't a good server I'm appalled by the fact that the individual I was quoting feels that because he is on PoT5 that automatically makes him one of the best in the world.

That statement is arrogant and borders on Elitistism.

My understanding is that PoT5 is the place to be for PvP and I congratulate you all on that. Just because some of us DON'T play on PoT5 doesn't mean we are less skilled or socially "beneath" the ones who do

People who act like that make me very happy to be on my server.

I'm Not saying that PoT5 isn't a good server I'm appalled by the fact that the individual I was quoting feels that because he is on PoT5 that automatically makes him one of the best in the world.

I actually didn't say that. Thanks for putting words in my mouth.

There are definitely world best players on this server, though.

(I'm not one of them, in case you still missed it.)

Edited by Armonddd