The Expanded Universe is toast.

Infernixx

which cartoon?

Avatar the Last Airbender. Thanks to some younger siblings I watched some of it when it was still on TV and got hooked. It's really well done, funny, cute but with underlying adult themes and such.

So M. took this cartoon with a huge fanbase and butchered it. Lots of stupid changes, like removing humor from a story whose main characters are children and changing the pronunciation of the main character's name and leaving out, changing important plot points. And then on top of that it was a dull, lifeless movie with lots of bad acting and meh CGI.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Avatar the Last Airbender. Thanks to some younger siblings I watched some of it when it was still on TV and got hooked. It's really well done, funny, cute but with underlying adult themes and such.

So M. took this cartoon with a huge fanbase and butchered it. Lots of stupid changes, like removing humor from a story whose main characters are children and changing the pronunciation of the main character's name and leaving out, changing important plot points. And then on top of that it was a dull, lifeless movie with lots of bad acting and meh CGI.

He did make one of the funniest bad movies ever. The Happening. Where wind is the enemy!

No, to Disney and that whackjob who wrote that article, the EU is "toast".

I personally will be having nothing to do with the new Mouseketeer Wars.

you say that but i dont believe you. when the trailer for the new movies gets released you will be drooling over it like a fat kid drools over a bowl of candy.

At least it wasn't "The Dark is Rising" that was a great series of books that could have been easily converted for movies, and instead they made something that actually sucked the life out of anyone who tried to watch it.

But as a rule they ruin cartoons when they turn them into films, look at Dragonball Evolution it totally misses the whole point of Dragonball, as you said Avatar the Last Airbender was ruined, and some of the Spiderman and Batman movies haven't been exactly brilliant either.

J.J. Abrams is directing the next Star Wars movie folks.

If you've been paying attention to what he's done with Star Trek, you'll note he doesn't give a crap about what happened in movies, let alone books written about the movies.

Prepare to have your world turned upside down!

Except J. J. Abrams isn't being given control over Star Wars. He's been asked to direct the next movie. Control of the franchise (and approval over anything JJ might request) lies totally with Lucasfilm. So prepare to have your preparation totally invalidated.

Don't get how you people don't understand how the whole franchise/IP/control thing works.

Except J. J. Abrams isn't being given control over Star Wars. He's been asked to direct the next movie. Control of the franchise (and approval over anything JJ might request) lies totally with Lucasfilm. So prepare to have your preparation totally invalidated.

Don't get how you people don't understand how the whole franchise/IP/control thing works.

Control of the franchise lies with Disney not Lucasfilm, don't get me wrong Lucasfilm is still in the loop, but final authority is Disney, and they haven't really given much away about how they feel about Star Wars (really feel not the PR stuff).

Personally I agree with you, but the fears aren't totally unfounded.

J.J. Abrams is directing the next Star Wars movie folks.

If you've been paying attention to what he's done with Star Trek, you'll note he doesn't give a crap about what happened in movies, let alone books written about the movies.

Prepare to have your world turned upside down!

- Arcada

Abrams was specifically brought in to "re-boot" the ST franchise after last two TNG movies bombed.

As a life long fan of Trek (from the 60's), I initially had problems with his first new ST movie until I saw it.

Once I realized that this was an alternate universe (see Mirror, Mirror) and not a retcon of my beloved ST universe, I was able to enjoy the movies Abrams has done.

I believe that Abrams has already stated the he does not intend to re-boot SW but continue with what Lucas has started (can't find the reference but it was shortly after he was named director).

Abrams was specifically brought in to "re-boot" the ST franchise after last two TNG movies bombed.

As a life long fan of Trek (from the 60's), I initially had problems with his first new ST movie until I saw it.

Once I realized that this was an alternate universe (see Mirror, Mirror) and not a retcon of my beloved ST universe, I was able to enjoy the movies Abrams has done.

I believe that Abrams has already stated the he does not intend to re-boot SW but continue with what Lucas has started (can't find the reference but it was shortly after he was named director).

THIS! Abrams HAD to reboot the franchise because it was a failing brand. Star Wars was the "sci-fi" kids were growing up with, Star Trek was slowly becoming a thing of the past.

I'm thrilled about him directing the upcoming movies...well...as long as he doesn't cast Ben Affleck as any character...

THIS! Abrams HAD to reboot the franchise because it was a failing brand. Star Wars was the "sci-fi" kids were growing up with, Star Trek was slowly becoming a thing of the past.

I'm thrilled about him directing the upcoming movies...well...as long as he doesn't cast Ben Affleck as any character...

Yep, and Star Wars is 30 years past being relevant (or good). It needs a reboot as much as Trek or Battlestar Galactica did.

When I learned that Disney had bought 100% of the rights to the whole franchise, movies included, I smiled.

Lucas has done nothing worth mentioning since Empire, except milk the movies for as much money as he can while doing as little as possible. The prequels were crap and if I had my say, I'd have them done all over again with Kasdan writing the story and hand-waving away the Lucas prequels.

Disney wants their money, BUT they understand that they'll get more money in the long run by creating new movies set in the post-Endor setting because that's what the fans want.

They'll also give movies to stand-out characters like Boba Fett and the like and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we didn't see the KOTOR setting used for its own movies.

And, as the cherry on top, they got Harrison Ford to sign up for it. Now we ALL know how much Harrison has come to loath the Han Solo character...and the man is filthy rich and set for life and pretty much only does whatever movies he 'wants' to do now....So, how did they get him to agree to sign up for the next trilogy?

It's my belief that excising Lucas from the process is what convinced Ford to go along. And if it's good enough of a story to get Ford to sign up, then I find myself cautiously excited about what they're going to hit us with.

Not as *any* character? C'mon, what's wrong with casting him as "Unnamed Force Choke Victim #4" or something? "Mandalorian Training Dummy #2"?

Edited by eartharioch

Not as *any* character? C'mon, what's wrong with casting him as "Unnamed Force Choke Victim #4" or something? "Mandalorian Training Dummy #2"?

I have nothing against the man and I think he's a hell of a director and I wouldn't be adverse to seeing him in a secondary role and in a series of cameos...

You're correct...I retract my previous statement. Any role where he can perish with nothing more than a Wilhelm Scream, I support :)

Nope, I hate the idea of him being Batman.

But, I think he'd be perfect for a secondary role or set of cameos in the next SW trilogy. He's a Biggs or Wedge, not a Han Solo.

On a related note, I really hope they don't bring Han Solo back, tbh. If it's not a young Harrison Ford I don't want it. :p

If you think Into Darkness was a good movie, then you deserve the next Star Wars movie!

- Arcada

It was ok.

The Phantom Menace was soooooooooooooooo phenomenally bad it retroactively made the original trilogy worse. If aliens see that movie, they will come to Earth and enslave humanity purely because one of our species made it.

Good lord man! The "good" chapter of the prequels has a 47 hour long lightsaber duel in which they end up surfing in lava!

Control of the franchise lies with Disney not Lucasfilm, don't get me wrong Lucasfilm is still in the loop, but final authority is Disney, and they haven't really given much away about how they feel about Star Wars (really feel not the PR stuff).

Technically, Disney only rakes in the profits, but the control is effectively given to LucasArts division of Disney. The Mouse does not interfere with day to day operations of his subsidiaries. Sure, they could, if they wanted, but it is more effective to keep the current people in charge and not disrupt the flow.

Disney also own Marvel, but I highly doubt that someone is sitting at Disney HQ and deciding, what villains should Hulk smash, or what other imbecilic thing should Deadpool do in next issue of comics

Again, someone who doesn't understand how things work. Control of the franchise lies with Lucasfilm, not Disney. THE SAME WAY that control of their characters lies with Marvel, not Disney. Marvel and Lucasfilm will control their respective IPs. Disney's not going to micromanage them.

Lucasfilm will be responsible to Disney (who will be kept in the loop, of course) but Lucasfilm isn't going to have to get permission from Disney. Disney will not be the business entity making decisions on Star Wars lore and canon any more than they will make the call on whether Mysterio can cross over into an Avengers comic or not.