The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

WoW or Swtor?

Aryious

Well, that is debatable...I love both games, honestly. WoW has a much larger, and more active community, which features good end game gear, raids, dungeons, and has many mounts that you can get through those dungeons and what not. There is so much to do, and so much to explore, that you will be busy for quite some time. The armor is Meh, it's all generic, and looks like most of it is skin tight, and alot of it is just reskinned armor, but makes it pop out by allowing you to add capes, choose shoulder pads, ect. It offers flying mounts(Which is epic), as well.

I like SW:TOR and WoW equally because I can RP in SW:TOR easier, the graphics are better, the story is easier to understand, the lore is better(For me anyways, since I've always loved SW), and the ERP is less consistent.(Then again, I played on Moonguard...Which isn't as bad as everyone says. Moon Guard = ERPville.

I played WoW for just shy of seven years. I left about 10 months before MoP but not because I did not like the game or a dislike for Pandas... I had done everything I could legitimately do without dedicating more time that I did not want to invest. I ran dungeons, I cleared raids, I was good at PvP. I just needed something different. SWTOR is something different. Yes, it is technically a "WoW clone" so the game play is not that much different, but the environment is VERY different:

Planets in a galaxy not areas on a continent

Lightsabers, Blasters, and the Force :)

Individual story

Companions

Conversations with NPCs

LS/DS choices

Crew Skills

the list goes on.

Edit: one more thing...

Playing WoW I only leveled and played alts when there was NOTHING else to do on my main. I did not enjoy the leveling process due to its repetitive nature.

SWTOR, for the simple fact of class stories, I enjoy leveling A LOT more.

Edited by psandak

I've been playing WoW since vanilla. I literately bought every single expansion up until MoP and only recently did I simply just give up on the game. The quality game-play Swtor offers is beyond the capabilities of Blizzard. Swtor ,at least in my opinion, offers a much bigger world with many options and an amazing story line.

If you like Star Wars theme, then SWTOR. If you just like mmo or mmorpg, your value for money is still with Wow. Wow is superior in all aspects of game mechanisms and game play compared to Swtor. Their customer support is out-of-this-world. However, as the gaming community in Wow are much established and there are many many veterans over there, they don't take it kindly to newbies who screwed up during group play. That is something to watch out for.

If you play Swtor first, then switch over to Wow, your experience will be as appropriated worded "WOW". If you had played Wow and come over to Swtor later, you will experience a significant degradation in playing experience and a huge disappointment (saved for graphic design). The only load screen (which load much much faster than swtor) you will ever experience in Wow is probably when you enter battleground or dungeon. There is minimal downtime as far as loading of the game is concerned. And the queue for battleground and dungeon are short and pop very fast. You even have an indication on how long it will pop and its pretty accurate (aver about 2 min or less wait for battleground). The only show-stopper to game play is when you decided to stop. You would not find yourself waiting for game play for any significant long period of time.

In terms of graphics design, Wow looks cartoonist. That is a downside. Swtor looks more polished in this respect with all its vanity gears at a cost.

Wow is free-to-play for the first 20 levels. Go try it and experience for yourself. One man's poison is another's meat. You only can judge for yourself when you experience it directly. Other people's view are just their biased opinion based on their personal preferences and likes.

PS: Forgotten to add in this one bit. Story line is better done over here in Swtor. It is enjoyable to go through the class story. But unfortunately, you can only enjoy it once. And I love the personal starship here. Too bad we can't do much with it further.

Edited by Einobi

I've been playing WoW since vanilla. I literately bought every single expansion up until MoP and only recently did I simply just give up on the game. The quality game-play Swtor offers is beyond the capabilities of Blizzard. Swtor ,at least in my opinion, offers a much bigger world with many options and an amazing story line.

I dare you to post the above statement in MMORPG.com forum. Don't hide here with your falsehood.

I dare you to post the above statement in MMORPG.com forum. Don't hide here with your falsehood.

What falsehood? It is his opinion and I share it in some way.

I cannot judge the size of WoW, but I have been told that it is gigantic. Millions of operations to choose from, over a hundred classes all with their own unique story, bla bla bla.

But in the end, WoW did totally fail to entertain me for even the 12 days, that I tested it, giving it an honest try.

SWTOR did and does entertain me.

And my personal entertainment is all that counts for me.

SWTOR for leveling alts, as it has better story telling because of voiced dialogue and cutscenes. But other than that, WoW is better on mostly everything else. Especially on end game content. But then again, WoW is a very successful MMO, while SWTOR is a big failure in comparison. Had it become more popular in the beginning, this game would probably have been a much better game than WoW. But right now, the devs really don't care much about the game it seems, and they are just trying to keep it alive by flashing goodies through the CM and boring PvP crap (GSF). If I did not have any more alts to level, I would have dropped this game a long time ago.

SWTOR is probably the best evidence of a lost opportunity, as it has so much potential. But the devs stopped caring for what truly makes the game unique, story and companions.

SWTOR for leveling alts, as it has better story telling because of voiced dialogue and cutscenes. But other than that, WoW is better on mostly everything else. Especially on end game content. But then again, WoW is a very successful MMO, while SWTOR is a big failure in comparison. Had it become more popular in the beginning, this game would probably have been a much better game than WoW. But right now, the devs really don't care much about the game it seems, and they are just trying to keep it alive by flashing goodies through the CM and boring PvP crap (GSF). If I did not have any more alts to level, I would have dropped this game a long time ago.

SWTOR is probably the best evidence of a lost opportunity, as it has so much potential. But the devs stopped caring for what truly makes the game unique, story and companions.

Can we say cynical? Why are you here (even with alts to level) if WoW is so much better?

Yes, WoW has a TON of end-game content. But one of the significant issues with that content is "instant obsolescence;" As soon as a new expansion is released all previous end game content is put on super duper easy mode, and only worth doing for achievements. But in SWTOR, EV is still viable content. Yes, it can be cleared with two 55s in Kell Dragon gear, but that does not make it obsolete: it is a viable alternative to running flashpoints when it comes to gearing up...not to mention achievements and missions associated with it.

And if you measure success of an MMO based on the "WoW standard", no past or future MMO will EVER be a success. Blizzard hit the perfect storm, and no company will ever match WoW. The "WoW killer" is a myth. All other MMOs now vie for 2nd place. And guess what? SWTOR is in 2nd place (tied with EVE).

Lastly, you just keep telling yourself that the devs don't care. GSF is not to your liking, I get that. But based on my experience it is generally popular (short queue times and varied players). And it is not even fully released yet; we are still in early access. Preferred accounts get access next week. Not to mention all the new stuff released since F2P/CM and new upcoming additions (return of the rakghouls and NiM DF/DP are on the immediate horizon).

I played WoW for one year and, after SWTOR's launch, a few more months, then dropped it. I gotta say, after playing SWTOR, WoW gets me bored really fast. But I do miss two things about, and they get me to play a couple of hours once in a while: my Tauren Druid and climatic/day and night change. But that's about it. However, when I play it I also remember how poorly balanced the classes are for PvP, how *****y players are when PvE/P'ing, how horrible the gear looks (and you can't do anything about it), how Blizzard screwed things over since the launch of Cataclysm. I'm not talking about how WoW is huge or the **** load of things you can do there, and how SWTOR lacks it a bit, because I don't really care about this kind of mechanic, I care about how entertaining a game can be, and SWTOR makes it all up for me especially with the single player content.

They're different games and serve different purposes; when I play SWTOR I get a lot more involved in pretty much everything, my class story, warzones, starfighter. When I play WoW I'm also listening to music, watching tv, chatting on Skype, that kind of thing.

I'm sorry but I feel compelled to chip in.

As a long time WoW player I kept my subscription to WoW while playing SWTOR for quite a while, popping back to visit guildmates and explore Pandaria etc and really I found that it takes a while for the grip of an MMO to wear off. The differences are not immediately apparent. After returning to WoW several times each visit just ended in frustration and had me back with SWTOR in sheer relief for a number of reasons that became apparent over time;

1. Absolutely horrendous graphics in WoW. Retro-ville supreme. Most of the time you can't see a thing in WoW compared to SWTOR's bright, light-filled and well designed landscapes. Once you get used to actually being able to see everything, it bugs the hell out of you not being able to see stuff.

2. Those crap quests in WoW. ***? Clicking on fetch 6 of this and 10 of that. Can't do it any more.

3. The utterly horrendous levelling process in WoW. It's an ordeal to be endured. Getting to max level. Its a challenge to enjoy it and levelling dungeons are a joke - full of peeps grinding dungeons to level in inheritance gear. Sorry - can't do it anymore. On SWTOR I have 8 max level toons and I'm still enjoying the levelling process. Bioware set the bar here and this really is at the heart of what makes SWTOR so good.

4. I hate to say it, but now that I've gotten used to it, I love the fact that there's no add on's, no damage meters, no gear levels etc. *** lets just get on with it and enjoy the game. And I'm saying this as a lead tank for a raiding guild. Going back to WoW and being confronted with all this crap again -I'm just OMG! Thankfully we don't have this BS anymore.

I could go on but really the longer you play SWTOR the more difficult it is to put up with all the retro legacy crap of WoW. Really the sooner Blizzard brings forth TITAN the better.

As much as I loved my time in WoW it is a chapter that has passed.

I agree completely with psandak. At it's time, WoW was revolutionary and was launched with perfect timing, no MMO will ever match it's success. Today we have lots of MMO's out there that are born and die without even notice, the sector is saturated. But SWTOR managed to stand out of this crowd for it's also revolutionary aspects, and it's holding up quite well despite having so many haters (who played the game before patch 1.1, never came back and are still bashing on issues solved long ago, i.e. queue times).

I'm sorry but I feel compelled to chip in.

As a long time WoW player I kept my subscription to WoW while playing SWTOR for quite a while, popping back to visit guildmates and explore Pandaria etc and really I found that it takes a while for the grip of an MMO to wear off. The differences are not immediately apparent. After returning to WoW several times each visit just ended in frustration and had me back with SWTOR in sheer relief for a number of reasons that became apparent over time;

1. Absolutely horrendous graphics in WoW. Retro-ville supreme. Most of the time you can't see a thing in WoW compared to SWTOR's bright, light-filled and well designed landscapes. Once you get used to actually being able to see everything, it bugs the hell out of you not being able to see stuff.

2. Those crap quests in WoW. ***? Clicking on fetch 6 of this and 10 of that. Can't do it any more.

3. The utterly horrendous levelling process in WoW. It's an ordeal to be endured. Getting to max level. Its a challenge to enjoy it and levelling dungeons are a joke - full of peeps grinding dungeons to level in inheritance gear. Sorry - can't do it anymore. On SWTOR I have 8 max level toons and I'm still enjoying the levelling process. Bioware set the bar here and this really is at the heart of what makes SWTOR so good.

4. I hate to say it, but now that I've gotten used to it, I love the fact that there's no add on's, no damage meters, no gear levels etc. *** lets just get on with it and enjoy the game. And I'm saying this as a lead tank for a raiding guild. Going back to WoW and being confronted with all this crap again -I'm just OMG! Thankfully we don't have this BS anymore.

I could go on but really the longer you play SWTOR the more difficult it is to put up with all the retro legacy crap of WoW. Really the sooner Blizzard brings forth TITAN the better.

As much as I loved my time in WoW it is a chapter that has passed.

I second that.

TITAN Project is dead, by the way.

1. I wouldn't say graphics there is horrendous, it's just peculiar and not for everyone. The somewhat "cartoonish" style is there on purpose, since it always was the style of the whole Warcraft setting. However, sometimes it's indeed hard to see things, especially on boss fights and especially if you're melee. Way too many bright and flashy spell effects.

2. Crap quests? They sure are "old style" and the nature of most of them is still "kill x of those and bring me y of that", but they are far from being crap. Honestly, after questng in SWTOR, at first i thought i could never bring myself to level in WoW again, but... at some point i tried it and found out that it's still engaging and fun to me. Not as fun as in SWTOR, but still fun.

3. As i said, leveling process is still fun to me and in no way "an ordeal to be endured". But dungeons are indeed a joke now, unfortunately. I personally think oversimplifying them was one of Blizzard's biggest mistakes. And, for the most part, not because they are not fun or boring or something, but because they teach people bad things. DPS, for example, learn to not respect the tank, to pull ahead of him and as many packs as they desire. Healers learn to either dps or slack instead of doing their role. Tanks... tanks almost never get a chance to learn their role in leveling dungeons, all they get is frustration from the DPS, which can easily cause them to abandon tanking alltogether.

4. Mods still differ by quality, so gear levels in SWTOR exist as well. As for addons, lack of them is the sole reason why all of my active SWTOR characters are tanks. With no competitive element provided by damage/healing meters, it's way too boring and purposeless to me to play anything else.

Edited by Trollokdamus

Obviously there is going to be a bias towards playing SW:TOR. To get a better idea as to what is the preferred "game of choice", you may want to post this question on a forum that is not apparently lenient towards either of these games.

Just my $.02

That being said, I stopped playing SW:TOR after a couple of months, and am currently returning. I went out and tried to play a number of games for two years, but something made me return. Perhaps it was the unique style of this game, combined with the uncanny artistic beauty of the worlds, the impeccable voice acting, and the lore associated with the game? Who knows? All I know is, I am back... and I plan on staying for a while.

In my time away, I tried giving WoW a number of attempts before finally giving up. There was just something about it that could not grip me; I even tried playing EVE, Guild Wars 2, and a number of others, but to no avail.

Edited by Sinister-Sith

I agree completely with psandak. At it's time, WoW was revolutionary and was launched with perfect timing, no MMO will ever match it's success. Today we have lots of MMO's out there that are born and die without even notice, the sector is saturated. But SWTOR managed to stand out of this crowd for it's also revolutionary aspects, and it's holding up quite well despite having so many haters (who played the game before patch 1.1, never came back and are still bashing on issues solved long ago, i.e. queue times).

Perfect timing, yes, revolutionary, no. WoW was good at synthesizing ideas from older games. It didn't do anything new or different.

I played a lot of different MMOs before I tried WoW and found it to be OK. Pretty average. Perhaps if I were a raider my perception would be different.

Perfect timing, yes, revolutionary, no. WoW was good at synthesizing ideas from older games. It didn't do anything new or different.

I played a lot of different MMOs before I tried WoW and found it to be OK. Pretty average. Perhaps if I were a raider my perception would be different.

Perfect timing? WOW was released in the midst of the EQ and SW:G eras. Both were very successful games and at the top of the food chain in the MMORPG world at the time. People tend to forget WOW's very rough start. It's not as if the stars suddenly aligned and WOW became what it is today. It had a following from the RTS world as Warcraft was a franchise that got its start as a strategy game, but not millions of subscribers worth. The reason WOW was/is still such a success is because Blizzard is a top-notch developer. After partnering with ActiVision, their direction slightly changed, however, they are still focused on delivering the best possible game experience to the consumer. That's the reason that whatever their next MMORPG is, it will eventually become as successful as WOW. They're just really good at what they do.

SW:TOR can attribute its success (mostly) to the fact that it's freaking STAR WARS. Star Wars is amazing, everyone knows that! :) I can almost guarantee that no one plays SW:TOR because it was developed by BioWare/EA. EA has already massacred a Star Wars MMORPG, and I say that because of the huge disappointment SW:G ended up post-CU. BioWare has a slightly better repertoire than EA, as they were the people who brought us KOTOR. SW:TOR is basically KOTOR with the option to play online. Aside from questing, SW:TOR is nothing special; it has ridiculous load times, clunky/awkward combat, very linear questing (there's not a lot of choice where you level, where WOW offers many different zones of the same level), mobs spawn on you almost as quickly as you kill them at times, making running back to your mission giver frustrating, among other things. That's not to say WOW is without its issues, I'm just really taken aback by the people claiming WOW is "nothing special" or "average".

There's a reason people left WOW for SW:TOR in droves when it launched and that eventually most came back.

EDIT: I want to make it clear that I really enjoy both games. They both have strengths and weaknesses, with *in my opinion* SW:TOR having more weaknesses. However, most of those can be overlooked due to the fact that, again, it's freaking STAR WARS.

Edited by twwhite

Two big plusses of SWTOR over WoW:

• The important part the Companions play. (Of all my WoW chars my Warlock was most dear to me — because of my Voidwalker, Imp etc. But they're nothing compared to Khem Val, Talos, Kaliyo, Dr. Lokin and Gault)
  • The excellent storyline (the Class story, but also e.g. the Battle of Corellia)

Also, the voice acting is great!! But at the same time it might be limiting or at least complicating future additions to the game.

SWTOR has cooler looking gear.

WoW has better guild features, better pets, and pet battles.

WoW supports addons, but SWTOR has a neat interface editor, so they're kinda even on that one (although several WoW addons do not primarily concern the interface, but e.g. warn you when are Rare NPC is near).

Edited by Orlogg

I played WoW for roughly two years and Swtor for about a year when it first released. I quit WoW to play Swtor, then quit Swtor a bit after it's f2p change and have only recently come back. For me, I just couldn't get back into the swing of WoW. I bought MoP and tried it out, tried to level, to do dungeons, play with friends, but it just seemed forced. It was as if I had to tell myself, 'It's going to get fun soon, I remember it being fun."

For me, I'll stick to Swtor until April when a pair of games I've been waiting too long for release.