Hats off to the aces!

ellahrairah

You hear the same sort of talk over in regular Warzones with certain players being "too good" to guard the node. In general (not always, of course), I've found the worst of WZ teamplay in space PvP: nodes left abandoned, fighting off node when the cap distance is very short, chasing kills in the middle of nowhere. That's before you get to inc calls, etc. I'm not saying it's not fun. I am sure it is. But Domination is still objective based play, not a deathmatch.

GSF is not a ground war zone, though. Honestly, I get frustrated with people who camp satellites with turrets like they think they're in Alderaan Civil War. As Verain said, you want roamers who can respond quickly based on what they see in the HUD and mini-map instead of node guards.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sitting on a node is not good gameplay. While you do get worthless "defense medals" a sort of a consolation prize, you are most helping your team if you are out seizing new nodes, farming people, or in an actual defense location- which is NEVER right on the node. For instance, the ridge spanning C and B is a solid place to perch if you were playing seriously, as you can quickly respond to any inc. The game offers zero rewards, so predictable literally no one talks about this, but having a rotate group ready to defend a node is proper play.

It doesn't take much to to be "too good" to sit on a node. The minor defensive advantages offered by the satellite don't make up for the general loss of defensibility. It's also frustrating that, say, gunships, should NEVER be on the node by any reasonable logic, but the game rewards them for capping just the same (and offers no rewards for cleaning the node of enemies, which is more valuable by far). It's very rare that a gunship should have to be within cap range of a satellite, it is worse for the team in all regards, yet the game rewards it.

But this is the same game where I've seen sages spamming some lifetap ability, then healing themselves, such that they get some healing medal. So this kind of circle jerk is I guess well established amongst the playerbase, I suppose.

I've had success holding the node for most of the game. Zoom out with burst DPS and kill guys, then go back to the node. Or call inc and start the dogfight and juking close up to the node while help arrives (if it arrives).

I had a few very close games today, great games actually, that were lossed by 10 to 20 points. A bit more objective-based play -- nothing fancy, just that one guy not leaving the node to be capped by the enemy -- and we would have won. Other examples include fighting just a couple of thousand meters off the node while it gets capped. Like four guys on the node and it gets capped. All you have to do is be near it to block the cap. Work the objectives.

It's frustrating. But then again people chasing their piddly duels in Huttball and off the node in other WZs also gets me. Not "u mad, bro" frustrating, just not as cool of an experience as I'd like.

GSF is not a ground war zone, though. Honestly, I get frustrated with people who camp satellites with turrets like they think they're in Alderaan Civil War. As Verain said, you want roamers who can respond quickly based on what they see in the HUD and mini-map instead of node guards.

If guarding is passé, what's the ideal strategy? Move in a group from node to node, zerging, and never leaving even one person to hold a node? I'm not questioning, I am asking.

If guarding is passé, what's the ideal strategy? Move in a group from node to node, zerging, and never leaving even one person to hold a node? I'm not questioning, I am asking.

The ideal strategy is to have roamers who can rush to defend a satellite when it's under attack and then leave once it's safe. Yes, there's a greater chance that you will lose the satellite than if you had 6 people devoted to doing nothing but defend it, but it's about maximizing your resources.

If you're in the lead and not in danger of losing your other satellite(s), then sure, camp a satellite if you want, but you're going to win in that case no matter what you do.

In a match where I have no significant chance of losing, the ideal strategy is the one that gives me the most benefit, whether that be scoreboard epeen, requisition, or bragging rights (i.e. "I killed <skilled gunship player> six times that match, how did you guys do"). Of course, other people may have other goals they consider more fun. I personally always go for top damage.

Otherwise, switching to full shields and erratically circling and diving around the satellite is a perfectly viable strategy. It's even fun, because you get to test your piloting skills - how well you can avoid crashing into the satellite while at funny pitch/yaw/roll angles and how few opportunities you present to your opponents - against a potentially very large number of enemy players. If none of them are especially skilled, you can keep at it for quite a while.

Edited by Armonddd

A node guard isn't there to circle the sat uselessly and buy time unless he has major incoming and is going to be overwhelmed. A node guard's job is to kill. Four people breaking off from an attack to go rescue a node from a lone scout is ridiculous. You're better off leaving one person at the node to hold it so the attackers don't get drawn off because some ronin (that could have been easily dealt with attacked their sat.

Hell, I do it all the time. Enemy team pressuring our node. I go to their (usually undefended) node and quickly knock out all three turrets. They then have to break off attackers to come deal with me or they will lose the node (and they often DO lose it if they don't). If they do come, our guys are able to beat back the attack on our node much easier.

Of course, I play in PUGs, and I don't fly a scout anymore. Zooming across the map non-stop to deal with threats isn't smart gameplay for me. If you have an uber sweet premade or are flying a scout, by all means, be a quick-response roamer. The problem with people in this game is that they have one playstyle that works for them, and they don't understand that everyone else might use different ships with different setups that require different strategy.

Edited by Svarthrafn

I have a hard time believing 31 to 0 is someone not using cheats. I guess it's possible just hard for me to believe.

he does not cheat. he has played everyday and has a maxed out imp scout. He uses burst and 2 shots me and others all the time

i think he's being facetious... considering this entire thread is pointing out how only Kill Count is not indicative of an Ace, but rather, the ones that stick to the objectives and not fly around as if
was playing in the background chasing that kill count...

nope. he rules jung ma gsf on imp side

he also goes after objectives mainly. can I post his name since it is not harassment but envy?

he does not cheat. he has played everyday and has a maxed out imp scout. He uses burst and 2 shots me and others all the time

nope. he rules jung ma gsf on imp side

he also goes after objectives mainly. can I post his name since it is not harassment but envy?

I would like to know this pilots name b/c there are only two pilots on jung ma that have bested me and niether used burst lasers.

I would like to know this pilots name b/c there are only two pilots on jung ma that have bested me and niether used burst lasers.

Shenanigans!

Unless you've only played long enough to get shot down twice and the hung up your pilot pants...

Otherwise, switching to full shields and erratically circling and diving around the satellite is a perfectly viable strategy. It's even fun, because you get to test your piloting skills - how well you can avoid crashing into the satellite while at funny pitch/yaw/roll angles and how few opportunities you present to your opponents - against a potentially very large number of enemy players. If none of them are especially skilled, you can keep at it for quite a while.

Now you're talking. Close up to the node, the thing feels like a trench run! I've juked and dodged and killed guys at nodes to take it OR stall long enough for my team to cap the other two nodes. It's a shame that doesn't show up on the score board but I feel good about it when we win. It's a real shame defending gives NO requisition right now!

I agree. The more medals you have the more you contributed.

I'm also happy to say that most of the so-called great PvPers that play the overpowered classes don't dare show their faces in GSF because they don't have the I-win button that they are used to having.

You haven't been one-shouted in space yet while piloting a fully mastered ship. ;)

I have a theory that those players also play smash monkeys in ground WZs. It takes a spatial kind of gamer to play an OP class and think they're good.

Its quite possible for an average gunship pilot. A skilled scout with a fully maxed ship can do this too, but it requires the enemy team to have no gunships. Never seen it happen on a strike fighter.

Wouldn't say "average gunship pilot." And you don't need to have maxed out your scout, just a few creature comforts need to be there, maxing distortion field is a must though because once you start performing there will be 3x the missiles you were getting before.

I would give a "Hats off" to the PoT5 imperial crew, but all I saw was a bunch of maxed out players preying on newbie pubs. . . I think they are good pilots, but not unbeatable. Too bad I can't match their premades with some from my server. ;)

Shenanigans!

Unless you've only played long enough to get shot down twice and the hung up your pilot pants...

I said shot down in a striaght fight, meaning a 1v1 or near 1v1 fight. Getting mobbed by six people doesn't count in my book, although i often still escape from the six.

Since I think you're talking about me, hi, I'm Rumina, I don't use burst lasers, I use quads. I'm just pretty consistent with my shots.

Oh, this guy. Yeah he was one of the two (on his alt), but I'm not sure how much i can respect someone who runs Quads, Dfield, and overcharge.

Edited by Zoom_VI

I said shot down in a striaght fight, meaning a 1v1 or near 1v1 fight. Getting mobbed by six people doesn't count in my book, although i often still escape from the six.

Oh, this guy. Yeah he was one of the two (on his alt), but I'm not sure how much i can respect someone who runs Quads, Dfield, and overcharge.

I like Quads because I'm consistent and they offer me over 100% accuracy, I would use burst if they didn't have 91% accuracy.

I run dfield because I get missiled non-stop, I use it more for the missile break than anything else. If it didn't come with evasion I wouldn't care.

And overcharge is a useful dps boost but it won't win games for you for free, I suggest you concern yourself with respect more than what other people are running.

Parts alone won't win you games and if you don't mind me asking, who's the second person?

Edited by tommmsunb

I personally try to balance my time between defense, clearing 'trash' as someone in this thread said before, and assisting my Gunships. I run a Sting with extended engine pools, so I'm comfortable with giving up a few kills to reinforce a sat. or chase a few scouts off of one of our Gunships. And since I mostly premade with Rumina, I don't feel bad when I am consistently second to him in damage and kills, since I usually have more objective points.

Everyone has a part to play.

I would give a "Hats off" to the PoT5 imperial crew, but all I saw was a bunch of maxed out players preying on newbie pubs. . . I think they are good pilots, but not unbeatable. Too bad I can't match their premades with some from my server. ;)

Pot5 republic has some good pilots, too. Ask around for Black Squadron. Not all of them are good, but I'd say they're probably all better than average.

Its quite possible for an average gunship pilot. A skilled scout with a fully maxed ship can do this too, but it requires the enemy team to have no gunships. Never seen it happen on a strike fighter.

31 kills also requires your team to not have any gunships, they certianly have a habit of vulturing kills.

I've become a satellite camper in my Pike lately.

I used to always focus on attacking. Whether I had 2 kills/2 assists or 5/7 it seems I always had 4-7 deaths to show for it especially if messed around at B in the practice mission or C in the asteroid belt (I call those areas "scoutland").

My requisition and contribution to most matches I felt was lacking. Sometimes I could do a good job keeping the gunships away and maybe destroy turrets and capture points but often I would find myself outnumbered and wasted.

Once I tried just holding a point it seemed I found my niche. My kills stay in the 5-7 range now with as many assists a lot of the time and my deaths are in the 0-2 range and I've been able to hold a satellite for the whole match solo or with a partner or two. Something that helps is it seems that often times a gunship or scout will park with me and with no communication they know just how to complement my skill set.

I like Quads because I'm consistent and they offer me over 100% accuracy, I would use burst if they didn't have 91% accuracy.

I run dfield because I get missiled non-stop, I use it more for the missile break than anything else. If it didn't come with evasion I wouldn't care.

Parts alone won't win you games and if you don't mind me asking, who's the second person?

Chill, I ment that as a jiib not a personal attack. I have long since stopped judging people for the classes they play or parts they use.

Although jokes aside anyone who runs Burst lasers or ion rail are just cheapshots plain and simple.

As for the second person - it used to be jaxin but i have never played agianst him since the first week of GSF so i don't think it counts anymore. I suppose Shipdit or Aloriana on his Skybolt could qualify but i have never fought agianst either of them. Shranishor shot me down the other day after i got a bit cocky and got lured into a head-to-head, although i would not call him my better, since i got him several times before and after that.

my 2c

Edited by Zoom_VI