The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Login Issues

EricMusco

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually that makes me think YOU've never worked in IT, and certainly not as any kind of direct report. When **** hit the fan I was giving updates to the president seemingly every 5 minutes, or as often as he demanded one. Your mode of thinking is one that suggests that a very limited number of people deal with server maintenance, and I find that very hard to believe. Also, you do know that the "Eric" in this conversation is the guy that posted the thread in the first place, right? You know, EricMusco, the name on the OP?? And you clearly misunderstood my tongue-in-cheek statement. I said "No Negative Nancies" out of disbelief that my post was inb4 anyone else with negative comments. My point was that I find it hard to believe that no one else is as irritated as I am.

I DO work in IT. I've had to manage outages that meant thousands of dollars in revenue evaporating while the systems were down. And yes, I've had VP's and directors logging into conference bridges asking for updates. Most of the ones I had to deal with will happily wait for an update when people are busy fixing the problem - it's only the new ones (or the ones who 'want exposure') that make asses of themselves demanding that everyone stop what they're doing so that So And So can be "brought up to speed". And then there's the ones who think they're 'technical' and start to second-guess the engineer recommendations....

This is why most corporate IT departments have a "management bridge" and a "working bridge". One person, probably not someone who's particularly valuable as a techie but with an ear for details, will be on both. While the engineers do their utmost to isolate, circumvent, and/or fix the issue, he or she listens in, and then passes on relevant info via the management bridge to all the higher-ups that need updates.

Most of these details never make it to customers. The usual customer-facing response to an outage is "yes, we're aware that System X is not working for you, our people are working on the problem right now, please be patient."

Which is pretty much what Eric told us. Thank you Eric. We await your next update, and/or the return of the servers. Oh, and if you somehow should get an actual fix on these derptrolling yahoos? Feel free to deliver the ROCKET PUNCH TO THE FACE that I've gift-wrapped for them and sent to you to pass along. The box isn't bound, but the contents? Yeah. Don't open it. :D

I'm in! :D

Good, I would try and get in but I have had enough excitement for tonight, lol, being irritated by these DERP people was enough to make me call it quits for the night, enjoy your gaming, maybe if we are on the same server we can play together sometime

Screw it, while we wait, I shall make the most of my time. Watch some youtube runs of NiM Ops. (The ones I don't know) Then, if they still aren't up, I'll make a guild website for a new guild I'll end up making.

Carebears! (Jedi covenant) Imp side.

~PVE oriented,

~Good at PVP

~Small

~Friendly!

You guys know you wanna join! Again, once i make the bloody thing :p

To the guy complaining, the last thing you want to do when dealing with an attack is give ANY information on how you are responding to said attack to anyone outside of the response team.

Starting with the most obvious, if they know where were you are at and what you're doing they're react accordingly. Even in sports, which most folk understand this is generally a bad idea.

Then there is the legal aspect, if you want to prosecute these fools there isn't any point in telling them how much you have on them.

Then there is the standard response method that most large providers use and , at 11pm that is to wake a whole lot of people up, get them into their remote site (usually an office down the hall in their home) and connect them into the information feed.

This incident effected EA rather than Bioware and I assume that's who is posting here. They'll have information filtered through at least 5 levels before it gets here. All that takes time. A really good Sec Ops guy can target a single attack in minutes. A DDoS can take longer as you have no idea how many people are involved.

In short it's incredibly complicated to respond to this sort of attack and, as someone has already posted, even with Governmental or Banking industry funding you cannot completely defend against them.

Also, given your responses I'm thinking you may want to just stick a pin in it for tonight and get some shut eye.

Governments and Banks have trouble with this sort of thing and their funds dwarf even EAs. Get some perspective and move on.

J.

To the guy complaining, the last thing you want to do when dealing with an attack is give ANY information on how you are responding to said attack to anyone outside of the response team.

Starting with the most obvious, if they know where were you are at and what you're doing they're react accordingly. Even in sports, which most folk understand this is generally a bad idea.

Then there is the legal aspect, if you want to prosecute these fools there isn't any point in telling them how much you have on them.

Then there is the standard response method that most large providers use and , at 11pm that is to wake a whole lot of people up, get them into their remote site (usually an office down the hall in their home) and connect them into the information feed.

This incident effected EA rather than Bioware and I assume that's who is posting here. They'll have information filtered through at least 5 levels before it gets here. All that takes time. A really good Sec Ops guy can target a single attack in minutes. A DDoS can take longer as you have no idea how many people are involved.

In short it's incredibly complicated to respond to this sort of attack and, as someone has already posted, even with Governmental or Banking industry funding you cannot completely defend against them.

Also, given your responses I'm thinking you may want to just stick a pin in it for tonight and get some shut eye.

Governments and Banks have trouble with this sort of thing and their funds dwarf even EAs. Get some perspective and move on.

J.

Well said my friend

Got kicked out again and can't get back in. Stuck on character selection screen, but it doesn't let me get in. Then keeps knocking me back to server screen.

But it was working fine for a little while :(

Same here..stuck on server select screen with all servers showing standard population