My server lost interest in GSF already.

Ashuranrx

You can pick TEH, that's fine. Then all that needs to be done is merge POT5 and TEH.

Not if I hacks BW and delete all their server merge tech first.

Also, that 90%ish win rate was from Shadowfist, who is almost certainly server best Rycer, if not world best. He almost exclusively plays in premades with the guild. As I recall, most of those losses were on his alt ships queueing solo. I play(ed) a lot more often than him, thus with fewer premades, and my win rate is closer to 70%.

Oh joy now you tell me that i would have to watch for rampant imperial premades, as a pub that makes me feel so much better.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Flashfire cannot upgrade its sensors, therefore cannot have any sensor dampening except for the 4000 dampening provided by a companion - hardly worth complaining about, or even having, really.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all ships get some sensor dampening by default. Not much, but some.

Also, @other guy, even if your effective sensor range (sensors minus dampening) extends far beyond your range, sensors are still very useful because they give you and your team increased tactical information.

Not if I hacks BW and delete all their server merge tech first.

Nuuu :(

Oh joy now you tell me that i would have to watch for rampant imperial premades, as a pub that makes me feel so much better.

From what I hear, there's a dedicated pub GSF guild to match Death Squadron. Might even be two, I forget.

Also, obligatory "lol complaining about premades in a team-based game" before anyone else can try to make fun of you for it.

Also, obligatory "lol complaining about premades in a team-based game" before anyone else can try to make fun of you for it.

In case you didn't notice I'm resorted to pysdo trolling atm. I don't have issues with people group up for stuff but I don't have any faith in PuGs to deal with such things. Such is life.

FWIW, here the queues have gotten a good deal longer. A week ago a long GSF queue, during off-peak times, was about 15 minutes. Now a short queue during peak times is 15 minutes. Most of the matches are 8v8 rep on rep with a couple of obvious premades running around (same 4 guys always in a squad is a dead giveaway.) On the Imp side, the queues are even longer (yes I play both) and when the obvious premades show up people start dropping out of the match. (Note, the premades tend to be 4 FF or 3 FF and a GS.) Yes, the premades can be beaten, but not often. Their weakness is that they all want to run in cap and run on to another satellite. They leave no one to guard. So, when it's only one of these premades on the opposing team they can be beaten when it's two, not so much. Don't get me wrong, my problem isn't with the premades, though. It's with the obvious OP of some equipment with top level mods of certain kinds mixed with certain companion abilities. That's where the problem is, with the gear/companion ability combinations that give near instant kills.

FWIW, here the queues have gotten a good deal longer. A week ago a long GSF queue, during off-peak times, was about 15 minutes. Now a short queue during peak times is 15 minutes. Most of the matches are 8v8 rep on rep with a couple of obvious premades running around (same 4 guys always in a squad is a dead giveaway.) On the Imp side, the queues are even longer (yes I play both) and when the obvious premades show up people start dropping out of the match. (Note, the premades tend to be 4 FF or 3 FF and a GS.) Yes, the premades can be beaten, but not often. Their weakness is that they all want to run in cap and run on to another satellite. They leave no one to guard. So, when it's only one of these premades on the opposing team they can be beaten when it's two, not so much. Don't get me wrong, my problem isn't with the premades, though. It's with the obvious OP of some equipment with top level mods of certain kinds mixed with certain companion abilities. That's where the problem is, with the gear/companion ability combinations that give near instant kills.

hence the fact that pugs are hit or miss, and why premades are much more enjoyable. Oh, and if I had to wait 15 mins during peak to que, I wouldn't bother. On Pot5, the longest que I had to wait for was 5 mins.. at 3:30am EST

In case you didn't notice I'm resorted to pysdo trolling atm. I don't have issues with people group up for stuff but I don't have any faith in PuGs to deal with such things. Such is life.

Oh, ok. Maybe these meds are stronger than I thought if I didn't notice that.

(my meds may or may not be alcohol)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all ships get some sensor dampening by default. Not much, but some.

Also, @other guy, even if your effective sensor range (sensors minus dampening) extends far beyond your range, sensors are still very useful because they give you and your team increased tactical information.

If you look at the default loadout, it'll say: Sensor dampening 0m

Now, mind you - I can't recall if any ships have dampening sensors by default (I don't believe this to be the case, though). I also can't tell you if there is some kind of built-in dampening that everyone gets that doesn't display on the loadout. If there was, it wouldn't matter much since everyone would have it.

I'm a lone wolf, so I'm unable to test most things other than from observation, mind you.

If you look at the default loadout, it'll say: Sensor dampening 0m

That seems odd to me. I was sure gunships and scouts got some sensor dampening by default. I'll check tomorrow, I guessed.

Also, you may or may not have noticed, but it seems that all ships get massive sensor dampening when at a full stop.

The Flashfire cannot upgrade its sensors, therefore cannot have any sensor dampening except for the 4000 dampening provided by a companion - hardly worth complaining about, or even having, really.

True, but it means they can rocket out of sight with their super engines to recharge those cooldows that much quicker

The gear gap here really is quite small. I can hop on a new toon that has never played GSF and still perform an effective role in a match.

That said, make a new toon over on Harbinger of you want to get in some good GSF matches. The quality of pilots and matches over there are really quite good.

The gear gap here really is quite small. I can hop on a new toon that has never played GSF and still perform an effective role in a match.

That said, make a new toon over on Harbinger of you want to get in some good GSF matches. The quality of pilots and matches over there are really quite good.

Obligatory ad campaign for Pot5

Like others, I don't think its the gear gap that's causing newbies to wipe, but the experience gap. Nonetheless it must be extremely frustrating for new players to be matched up against veterans and subsequently be blown out of the sky. Repeatedly and mercilessly. Every time I see someone get blown away after 5 seconds of flying slow and straight through laser bolts and missiles, I feel a little sad because there's someone out there who's making the hard decision to stick it out and learn from their mistakes or decide that the whole thing isn't for them. Who's to say who's at fault here?

Ultimately I'd say the biggest culprit is the lack of players for viable match-making. What percentage of active players are subscribers? What percentage of those really care about space PvP? I hope that once full access is granted then there'll be enough new players so that they can be properly matched with each other.

When I went into this the first time, I knew I'd be matched up against skilled beta tester pilots, and I knew I was both probably going to lose a lot of matches and also get killed a lot.

I went in knowing this, but also knowing each match I would be learning and acquiring acquisition, both of which would make me a better star fighter.

Practice, be patient, have fun.

True, but it means they can rocket out of sight with their super engines to recharge those cooldows that much quicker

What? English dude

Are you saying boosting somehow reduces the cooldown FF's offensive cooldowns? Do you know anything at all about a ship before you QQ about it?

What? English dude

Are you saying boosting somehow reduces the cooldown FF's offensive cooldowns? Do you know anything at all about a ship before you QQ about it?

Lol, I have obviously hit a nerve with you.

I will start by saying that on my server at least, when people see me, they QQ.

That is how good I fly.

I don't like to act all MMA cheast-beater, but I know all the ships, and yes you can fly up to someone, pop your cooldowns, obliterate them in 2 seconds without getting a scratch all the while being pummeled by their superior lasers(or would-be at least), then jet off before the cool-downs wear off, and the only ship that can give chase or take you out while you do so is another scout.

If you would like to say something to the contrary, may I suggest getting back in your strike-fighter and jumping in a solo queue?

It might be easy to not notice this much when you are flying the ship in question constantly (I assume this to be true as you are in disagreement with my observations, and have chosen that lil bugger of a ship as your profile pic)

Lol, I have obviously hit a nerve with you.

I will start by saying that on my server at least, when people see me, they QQ.

That is how good I fly.

Yawn, e-peen moar, I get damage MvP almost every match, please stop acting like E-peens are meaningful

I don't like to act all MMA cheast-beater, but I know all the ships, and yes you can fly up to someone, pop your cooldowns, obliterate them in 2 seconds without getting a scratch all the while being pummeled by their superior lasers(or would-be at least), then jet off before the cool-downs wear off, and the only ship that can give chase or take you out while you do so is another scout.

The only weapon that kills in two seconds is burst lasers, which i have already posted before are a abomination. No other weapon can kill a strike that fast, assuming the strike isnt a completel moron or hasn't already sustianed heavy damage.

And lol Strikes are better at killing flashfires than flashfires are. Why? Becuase its hard to beat a class that has the exact same advantages as you AND the same weaknesses. Strike's heavy weapons are great for blasting through scouts during the 1-2 second window you get during a dogfight between competent players.

If you would like to say something to the contrary, may I suggest getting back in your strike-fighter and jumping in a solo queue?

I fly my strike once a day or more if the situation at hand is better fitted for a strike.

It might be easy to not notice this much when you are flying the ship in question constantly (I assume this to be true as you are in disagreement with my observations, and have chosen that lil bugger of a ship as your profile pic)

Its easy to call what you are ignorant of OP too.

Oh, and i still have no idea what super engines are either. All i see are retro, kriogran, barrel roll, and a power convert under engines.

Edited by Zoom_VI

@ Zoom_Vi

Yeah as to your dissection above, I'm not replying in kind because I don't feel you get where I am coming from.

Whatever the reasons are, whatever loadout you think is garbage, the fact remains that scouts can pop a cooldown that makes them almost untouchable, pop another that boosts the damage of their lasers or burst cannons that you already despise (wasn't arguing with you, just the merits of the ship) enough that they can 3 shot a strike or a GS, and what is a super boost?

Why the scout boost of course, it outlasts that of the other ships so, here is the scout OP action, once more(and hey imagine this on a team with 8 of these little buggers using this FOTM loadout)

Zip in, get in firing range, pop both cooldowns facing your enemy because while cooldowns are up, like you are gonna get hit anyways, unload your weapons before the target can realize you are not about to take damage any time soon, destroy target, then high tail it on full engines away from the opposition and fly about until your cooldowns are back up, then go repeat.

Imagine how the poor noobers must feel when they get this plus a team on headsets, all after the fact of not understanding that gunships have a dot with plasma cannon and fly around thinking someone is hacking the game because they have left the LOS.

I know its funny, but the poor little bastards!

And yes perhaps we can "deal" with the op little scouter cooldowns, but lets be real here, it's bloody goofy and needs to be switched out.

Immunity to missile lock is one thing, but the total package achieved with this FOTM build on the flashfire is over the top.

Do you really disagree with that?

I wasn't trying to imply they had anything special about their engine abilities, just that on merit of being a scout, it is really easy to zip out of the fight to safety, wait on the cooldowns, then zip back in ad surprise another poor bastard.

Does better gear make you more deadly sure. You will hit harder and last longer. But the advantages are not massive, you only see like 20% maximum improvement on your ship overall.

Gunship:

Ion AOE + Slow Movement

15k sensor dampening

Massive increase in survivability and your ability to control the battlefield.

I'd also suggest that being able to make it to a satellite first is a very important thing for a scout.

Edited by MCaliban

Re: immunity to missile locks: does anyone actually spec break missile lock on Distortion Field? Cause any pilot worth a damn ignores missiles by breaking los and going straight for reduced cd on the evasion button. Breaking missile lock with Distortion Field has never seemed necessary to me, and it comes with an enormous opportunity cost. An extra three seconds of ignoring lasers is amazing.

Zip in, get in firing range, pop both cooldowns facing your enemy because while cooldowns are up, like you are gonna get hit anyways, unload your weapons before the target can realize you are not about to take damage any time soon, destroy target, then high tail it on full engines away from the opposition and fly about until your cooldowns are back up, then go repeat.

I'm gonna just go ahead and take a guess here, that you haven't played a Scout before.

This kind of argument is like having some toon pop their CD's on you in a Warzone, then suggest they should be nerfed, because that class or spec should not be able to kill you.

It's important to note that GSF is not rock paper scissors. Any class ship can, and should be able to, take out any other class of ship in the game, let alone the same type.

Each class of ship has their own strengths and weaknesses. For all those complaining about Scouts, it's really pretty faceroll easy to kill Scouts with Strike Fighters or Gunships.

Re: immunity to missile locks: does anyone actually spec break missile lock on Distortion Field? Cause any pilot worth a damn ignores missiles by breaking los and going straight for reduced cd on the evasion button. Breaking missile lock with Distortion Field has never seemed necessary to me, and it comes with an enormous opportunity cost. An extra three seconds of ignoring lasers is amazing.

Then you must be facing much easier fights than I am, because I usally don't know where the missile lock is coming from since it's typically 2 or 3 enemies I am trying to avoid at the same time. Hooray for facing premades.

Then you must be facing much easier fights than I am, because I usally don't know where the missile lock is coming from since it's typically 2 or 3 enemies I am trying to avoid at the same time. Hooray for facing premades.

Nah, I've done that and survived for a while because of LOS abuse. It's significantly more helpful than Distortion Field's missile breaks.

I agree with ptw. I normally tend to find myself in situations where, for example, I'm in the process of taking down a gunship, and I have a few tailing me, and I either recently used my engines recently or lack engine power to use it. Plus I find the 6 second evasion almost useless, as 3 seconds is plenty of time to takedown a fighter in a head-to-head fight, or fly past me, making the extra three seconds useless. I rarely find myself in situations where me and an opponent have our thrusters off and are just shooting to the death.

Would it be balanced for you to be able to survive with 2-3 people on you?

Yeah, only idiots take the break lock option. An extra 3s of invincibility is far better. You should be using barrel roll to break the first lock anyway, at which point you have a good idea where the lock is coming from (behind you!) and can LOS appropriately.